PDA

View Full Version : The Ancient Art of Magic, Curses and Supernatural Spells

Peter1469
10-26-2014, 03:48 PM
The Ancient Art of Magic, Curses and Supernatural Spells (http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-myths-legends/ancient-art-magic-curses-and-supernatural-spells-002253)

Ideas about magic, curses, and spells is as old as humanity. Archeological sites have evidence of these beliefs, such as the various tombs in Egypt. Here is a long article discussing the topic. Pretty cool stuff!

As long as humanity has had beliefs in deities, the supernatural, and the power of magic, the use of magic, spells, and curses have featured widely across cultures. Very much entwined with human nature, such beliefs and practices have continued to the present day. Archaeological finds show evidence of a plethora of ancient curses and protective spells, such as the discovery of cursed tablets (http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-general/significance-roman-curse-tablets-recognised-memory-world-register-001804), evil eye talismans (http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-mysterious-phenomena/1800-year-old-ring-and-curse-evil-eye-00759), and warding items (http://www.livescience.com/42504-disaster-preventing-eggs-sardis.html).

The history of curses varies between cultures, locations, religions or beliefs, and times. However, the intention of the curse has consistently been to conjure a supernatural power to inflict misfortune or punishment on a target. A curse, sometimes called jinx, hex, or dark spell, can be verbalized, written, or sometimes cast through elaborate ritual. The aim is to see harm befall the recipient - bad luck may dog them, death may take them, or any number of dire (or annoying) fates may plague them. In antiquity a curse was a powerful phenomenon, often viewed as the summoned wrath of gods, or the presence of evil forces.
- See more at: http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-myths-legends/ancient-art-magic-curses-and-supernatural-spells-002253#sthash.Nh2AwCLZ.dpuf

Alyosha
10-26-2014, 05:34 PM
I do believe in them. I think I have been cursed and I am not kidding.

Shadow
10-26-2014, 05:46 PM
When I was in college a couple girls I knew bought a spell book at a thrift store. Then would do love rituals and put love spells on the guys they were seeing. They were pretty bizarre too. Hope those poor saps that got spells cast on them didn't get stuck with these crazy ding bats... If so... I feel for them.

Alyosha
10-26-2014, 05:47 PM
Spells work depending on the spellcasters and spells.

Common Sense
10-26-2014, 07:00 PM

Spells work if you believe they work.

Shadow
10-26-2014, 07:03 PM

i believe this is probably more accurate. Power of persuasion.

Alyosha
10-26-2014, 07:03 PM

According to you. Apparently acupuncture only works because people believe it works... Except on horses, where it works without the placebo effect.

Common Sense
10-26-2014, 07:07 PM
According to you. Apparently acupuncture only works because people believe it works... Except on horses, where it works without the placebo effect.

Yes, it's just my opinion. Acupuncture is physically real. How it works may not be fully understood, but it's a real physical practice.

Casting spells are just words. Words do have power...but I have not seen any evidence that spells or magic is real.

I could be mistaken and I'm not trying to disrespect your beliefs.

Alyosha
10-26-2014, 07:09 PM
i believe this is probably more accurate. Power of persuasion.

I did not believe in spells but a few of us got together as a joke and made up a perfect man for my friend...black hair, green eyes, from a particular to remain nameless state, from a certain branch of service, between ages 25 and 27, liked Glen Miller, and owned a book of poetry. She met him the next day and they were engaged three weeks later.

I also accidentally cursed someone as a joke by the furies, he didn't hear the curse btw, that he be anally raped by an angry bear. That same day he was rear ended while driving and totaled me his vehicle, the boat he was in was rear ended on a fricking lake, and his bicycle got rear ended and totaled within the week.

I no longer even joke about magic.

Alyosha
10-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Yes, it's just my opinion. Acupuncture is physically real. How it works may not be fully understood, but it's a real physical practice.

Casting spells are just words. Words do have power...but I have not seen any evidence that spells or magic is real.

I could be mistaken and I'm not trying to disrespect your beliefs.

Its not my beliefs necessarily and actually goes against mine, but I have seen it work.

Redrose
10-26-2014, 11:26 PM
I'm on the fence with this stuff. As a Christian we're not supposed to believe in that stuff, but as a kid growing up in Brooklyn, I saw strange things. My dad had 6 sisters, nice ladies but one aunt in particular they used to say "don't get on her bad side." In 1958 she had an argument with the her neighbor next door over a tree between their properties. He cursed her out, using words very offensive, and with ethnic slurs. She was insensed. I was there with my parents the next day, she saw the neighbor through the window and made the horns gesture with her fingers, said some words in Italian and did a "spit" gesture. He died the next day. He was 42, had a heart attack we were told, under the tree they were fighting over. Coincidence?

PolWatch
10-26-2014, 11:32 PM
I don't know about curses, etc. I also don't believe in denying something I don't know about. I have had experiences with spirits of dead loved ones so I'm not so quick to disbelieve other experiences.

Dark Mistress
10-28-2014, 02:42 AM
I think as Christians it's not so much that we are not supposed to believe as it is that we are not to dabble in these arts because they stem from the adversary. It is a means for the adversary to reach us. I believe he can only do so with our consent. Now, darkness can also seep its way into our lives through other means without our consent as far as those who are influenced by dark spirits.

I am more unfamiliar with cursing and such, but I do believe they exist. I endeavor to stay as far away from them as possible. I try to surround myself with light. Curses bleed darkness in my eyes.

Alyosha
10-28-2014, 08:24 AM
Adelaide. Another one of mine worked last night. :)

Adelaide
10-28-2014, 03:21 PM
@Adelaide (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=473). Another one of mine worked last night. :)

If I start growing hair on my chin or something I'm going to know who to blame. :tongue:

Common Sense
10-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Is that why my car broke down today?

;)

Peter1469
10-28-2014, 04:39 PM
If I start growing hair on my chin or something I'm going to know who to blame. :tongue:
I don't think it will be hair.... :smiley:

Redrose
10-28-2014, 04:51 PM
@Adelaide (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=473). Another one of mine worked last night. :)

Alyosha Care to elaborate? You tweaked my curiosity.

Polecat
10-28-2014, 05:22 PM
I'm on the fence with this stuff. As a Christian we're not supposed to believe in that stuff, but as a kid growing up in Brooklyn, I saw strange things. My dad had 6 sisters, nice ladies but one aunt in particular they used to say "don't get on her bad side." In 1958 she had an argument with the her neighbor next door over a tree between their properties. He cursed her out, using words very offensive, and with ethnic slurs. She was insensed. I was there with my parents the next day, she saw the neighbor through the window and made the horns gesture with her fingers, said some words in Italian and did a "spit" gesture. He died the next day. He was 42, had a heart attack we were told, under the tree they were fighting over. Coincidence?

Quite the contrary. The black arts are mentioned throughout the Bible. It is strictly off limits to Christians. It is real alright.

Common Sense
10-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Quite the contrary. The black arts are mentioned throughout the Bible. It is strictly off limits to Christians. It is real alright.

That's an opinion. The bible mentions lots of crazy stuff. That doesn't mean it's true.

Peter1469
10-28-2014, 06:27 PM
@Alyosha (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=863) Care to elaborate? You tweaked my curiosity.

I vouch for it.

Peter1469
10-28-2014, 06:29 PM

Ali can elaborate, but the bible only went off on a few limited types of "black arts" necromancy being one of them. That left out a lot of other stuff.

Dark Mistress
10-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Ali can elaborate, but the bible only went off on a few limited types of "black arts" necromancy being one of them. That left out a lot of other stuff.

I still wonder about what has been taken out of the bible. On this topic as well as others. Some of the books that were once in there that no longer are. I don't have a full list, but I do read the Book of Jasher from time to time. Gives a much better insight to Joseph of Egypt. Much has been lost in the scriptures...

Alyosha
10-28-2014, 09:12 PM
@Alyosha (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=863) Care to elaborate? You tweaked my curiosity.

I would love to tell you but it would undo it. The appropriate people know it worked and that's what matters.

Paperback Writer
11-27-2014, 07:55 PM
Perhaps you could PM us. :)

Redrose
11-28-2014, 01:12 AM

I am not Eqyptian, I have never been there. I have always had a fascination with anything Egyptian, for as long as I can remember. I have even had dreams of living in Egypt 5000 years ago. My husband teases my that I am reincarnated from that era. Who knows.

PolWatch
11-28-2014, 01:16 AM
I am not Eqyptian, I have never been there. I have always had a fascination with anything Egyptian, for as long as I can remember. I have even had dreams of living in Egypt 5000 years ago. My husband teases my that I am reincarnated from that era. Who knows.

I wonder about reincarnation. I kinda like the idea of another chance or two thousand to 'get it right'.

Redrose
11-28-2014, 01:27 AM
I wonder about reincarnation. I kinda like the idea of another chance or two thousand to 'get it right'.

That's exactly what my dad always joked about. He said if we don't get it right the first time and make it to Heaven, you keep going around untl you get it right. I think he was joking, but it has given me pause to think what if he was right. He also said if you were a racist, you would come back as the race you were biased against. If you were rich and didn't make it to Heaven, you come back poor. My husband used to joke about thinking he was an outlaw in the old west?????? He doesn't drink either. lol

I had a reoccurring dream of being in Egypt thousands of years ago and baking bread and weaving cloth. When I woke up my hands hurt. This was years ago, long before arthritis.

PolWatch
11-28-2014, 01:41 AM
I've never had dreams like that...but I have read some about the subject. There have been some people who have been hypnotized and they said they 'regressed' to prior lives. One was the Bridie Murphy case. I don't know...I'm a cynic....but its still interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridey_Murphy

Redrose
11-28-2014, 02:21 AM
The think I find weird is I had these dreams as a kid maybe 11 or 12. I knew zip about Egypt. All I knew was the Holy Family flight from the Bible. Who knows maybe I read something I forgot about and it made a impression on me.

Peter1469
11-28-2014, 06:24 AM

Reincarnation is my hunch. Egypt is a great place to visit, however, I likely wouldn't do it now.