PDA

View Full Version : Shaming America

Max Rockatansky
10-29-2014, 08:34 PM
Wife and I are enjoying "America: Imagine the World Without Her"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2785390/

An interesting look at "America shaming". Although I don't agree with all of its points or views but I certainly agree with the overall message and am happy to see a movie which takes the "America shamers" to task.

midcan5
10-30-2014, 06:07 AM
This stuff is so off the wall and stupid I wonder what motivates the like of D'souza and other aggrieved morons. No one is shaming America except those who actually produce the retarded nonsense. If you all remember Obama was praised throughout Europe as change for the better. The right has never forgiven the American people for electing him it seems. And then there is the contradictory stupidity of the right in that it bashes so called 'political correctness,' but if someone finds fault in America they are automatically haters. What a stupid political mind exists today in this country. And this a_hole just pleaded guilty in an American court. Too funny, too hypocritical, and way way too stupid. One wonders if the right could ever find anything right in America?

Dinesh D’Souza’s 2016: Obama’s America

http://www.bostonreview.net/BR37.6/alan_stone_dinesh_dsouza_2016_barack_obamas_americ a.php
https://www.vdare.com/articles/dinesh-dsouza-imagine-america-and-the-conservative-movement-without-him

Matty
10-30-2014, 06:11 AM
Deniers are liars!

Mac-7
10-30-2014, 06:16 AM
If you all remember Obama was praised throughout Europe as change for the better.

That was BEFORE obumer took office.

he's not getting much praise now.

donttread
10-30-2014, 07:10 AM
Wife and I are enjoying "America: Imagine the World Without Her"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2785390/

An interesting look at "America shaming". Although I don't agree with all of its points or views but I certainly agree with the overall message and am happy to see a movie which takes the "America shamers" to task.

Not sugar coating history is not shaming. It's an attempt to raise a generation of Americans who will force their government to mind its own business

Max Rockatansky
10-30-2014, 02:50 PM
One wonders if the right could ever find anything right in America?

You obviously have a problem doing it.

Nice try to derail with 2016. Lemme guess, you didn't even watch the OP movie, amirite?

Chris
10-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Available at Redbox this weekend so I'll try and watch.

Dinesh D’Souza is pretty shallow though. He writes books at about the level of Ann Coulter. I remember him back when he was debating the New Atheists. They were all shallow. I don't mean to be attacking the messenger here, but I probably am. And until I see the movie, can't comment on it. :D

Max Rockatansky
10-30-2014, 04:20 PM
Available at Redbox this weekend so I'll try and watch.

Dinesh D’Souza is pretty shallow though. He writes books at about the level of Ann Coulter. I remember him back when he was debating the New Atheists. They were all shallow. I don't mean to be attacking the messenger here, but I probably am. And until I see the movie, can't comment on it. :D

The reviews of the content on 2016 caused me to pass on seeing it but this one is much better. Not perfect, but still worth watching.

Chris
11-01-2014, 06:15 AM
Not worth it. I mean it's an interesting question, asked in various ways--what is Washington had been shot by a sniper, what if the South had won, etc. But after 30 minutes of listening to Dinesh narrate and watching Dinesh, looking proud and indignant, interviewing various people on grievances against American, it got pretty boring. That's how I remember him from debates, full of himself. Cons like ransom and mac would like it, I suppose.

Mac-7
11-01-2014, 06:27 AM
That's how I remember him from debates, full of himself. Cons like ransom and mac would like it, I suppose.

I might.

But then I'm not so full of MYSELF that I let personal bias get in the way of the facts.

Chris
11-01-2014, 06:54 AM
I might.

But then I'm not so full of MYSELF that I let personal bias get in the way of the facts.

That's exactly why I mentioned you, mac.

Max Rockatansky
11-01-2014, 07:44 AM
Not worth it. I mean it's an interesting question, asked in various ways--what is Washington had been shot by a sniper, what if the South had won, etc. But after 30 minutes of listening to Dinesh narrate and watching Dinesh, looking proud and indignant, interviewing various people on grievances against American, it got pretty boring. That's how I remember him from debates, full of himself. Cons like ransom and mac would like it, I suppose.

If someone had made a movie about how Brits should be proud of their history, despite many of the nasty things they did to others, would it be wrong? Boring? Not worth watching?

The fact is, Great Britain has had a significant impact on world history. If they'd remained dominated by the Roman empire or if the Battle of Hastings had gone the other way, all of world history would have changed. It's not wrong to acknowledge that the good of Britain outweighs the bad.

The same goes for the United States. Sure, we have some nasty events in our closet, but overall, just like Great Britain, the world is a better place because our nation came into being.

Chris
11-01-2014, 08:00 AM
If someone had made a movie about how Brits should be proud of their history, despite many of the nasty things they did to others, would it be wrong? Boring? Not worth watching?

The fact is, Great Britain has had a significant impact on world history. If they'd remained dominated by the Roman empire or if the Battle of Hastings had gone the other way, all of world history would have changed. It's not wrong to acknowledge that the good of Britain outweighs the bad.

The same goes for the United States. Sure, we have some nasty events in our closet, but overall, just like Great Britain, the world is a better place because our nation came into being.

The movie was more about Dinesh, the grand conservative standing athwart all these liberal enemies. But his conservatism, and his liberalism, are both myths he has bought into enough to realize they sell.

What if Washington had been snipered? The Continental Army would have found another to replace him. Anyone who's read his biography would know he wasn't that great a soldier.

And what if the South had won? Probably would have been better.

Max Rockatansky
11-01-2014, 08:21 AM
The movie was more about Dinesh, the grand conservative standing athwart all these liberal enemies. But his conservatism, and his liberalism, are both myths he has bought into enough to realize they sell.

What if Washington had been snipered? The Continental Army would have found another to replace him. Anyone who's read his biography would know he wasn't that great a soldier.

And what if the South had won? Probably would have been better.

Disagreed about Dinesh being the center piece of the movie.

As for Washington being killed in battle, it would have changed the war. While I don't believe in the "indispensable man", Washington was a key figure in winning the Revolution. It could have easily gone against us even with Washington.

A good book on the subject is David McCullough's "1776".