PDA

View Full Version : The national environment is terrible for Democrats, say Democrats

Professor Peabody
10-31-2014, 12:27 AM
The national environment is terrible for Democrats, say Democrats

By Chris Cillizza October 29 at 1:24 PM

Prominent Democratic strategists are growing increasingly nervous that the national political environment is not only bad for their side but is moving in the wrong direction in the final days before the election, a trend that could not only cost them control of the Senate but also visit double-digit House losses on the party.

"The environment has settled and it's bad," said one senior Democratic party operative closely monitoring the party's prospects this fall. The source added that Democratic candidates' numbers among independents and seniors — two critically important voting blocs — have begun to erode; "they are just not as friendly to us as they once were," the source explained.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/10/29/the-national-environment-is-terrible-for-democrats-say-democrats/

The desperation on the Democrats part is palpable. The "War on Women" and the latest scare tactic "Republicans Push to Privatize and Cut Social Security". I haven't heard anything about privatizing social security since it was rejected in the mid-2000's. But, the Democrats are flinging what ever poo they can at Republicans in order to try to keep power in Congress. I've even see one liberal pundit blame the Democrats impending loss on something he called "the 6 year itch". To me that imply's a fickle voting public is at fault. WHAT? How about 6 years of failed economic policies resulting in a mean GDP growth of about 1.8%? How about the largest national debt in history, adding about $7 trillion dollars (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2715986/U-S-debt-balloons-7-TRILLION-Obama-took-office.html) to it in just 6 years? How about a foreign policy that ignored the warnings and allowed not only the death of the first American Ambassador since Jimmy Carter was President in 1979 along with three other Americans? How about the Obama administration being warned about 'The Rise of ISIS' (http://news.yahoo.com/obama-white-house-did-little-to-stop--the-rise-of-isis---says-frontline-<br /> <br /> documentary-133053988.html) back in January of this year and doing little about it.

Jobs and the economy.....

In Oct 2009 unemployment rose to 10% nationwide. Since then it has dropped to 5.9% as of Sept 2014. Sounds good right? Not so fast. That same month Oct 2009 the Labor force participation rate was 65%, at the peak of the unemployment mind you. Today it's 62.7%, that's a large drop in the total labor force. Now for some definitions:

U-1: persons unemployed 15 weeks or longer, as a percent of the civilian labor force;
U-2: job losers and persons who completed temporary jobs, as a percent of the civilian labor force;
U-3: total unemployed, as a percent of the civilian labor force;
U-4: total unemployed plus discouraged workers, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus discouraged workers;
U-5: total unemployed, plus discouraged workers, plus all other marginally attached workers, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all marginally attached workers; and
U-6: total unemployed, plus all marginally attached workers, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all marginally attached workers.

The U-3 number is the one the Government uses for bragging. Look at the wording one more time... U-3: total unemployed, as a percent of the civilian labor force;. The civilian Labor force has dropped from 65% to 62.7% (http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000), so the U-3 numbers are rather deceiving regarding unemployment.
https://www.stlouisfed.org/publications/re/2014/c/images/fig1_canon.png

The U-6 numbers reflect the TOTAL unemployed and as we can see it's almost 17%.

Please don't be fooled by smoke 'n mirrors and claims of how good things are. Ask yourself one question before voting on Tuesday.....Am I and my family better off than we were 4 years ago? If you're happy and want things to stay the way they are right now, more power to ya vote for Democrats. If you're tired of a stagnant economy, part time jobs and struggling to pay your bills, then vote against the Obama agenda and many Democrats as you can. If you're tired of a Government that put everyone around the world and can make it across the border ahead of you and your family....except in the IRS pay your taxes line, then vote against the Obama agenda and many Democrats as you can.

Green Arrow
10-31-2014, 12:33 AM
If it's terrible for Democrats, why are all the big Senate races so close? I have the same suspicions about this that I do about there being a Republican "wave." To have a "wave" benefited by a terrible electoral environment, you need to have blowouts, not bare slipping by.

Mac-7
10-31-2014, 05:28 AM
If it's terrible for Democrats, why are all the big Senate races so close? I have the same suspicions about this that I do about there being a Republican "wave." To have a "wave" benefited by a terrible electoral environment, you need to have blowouts, not bare slipping by.

Those races are big because they are almost all democrat incumbents who are in trouble and control of the senate is hanging in the balance.

midcan5
10-31-2014, 05:36 AM
Given the republican record of consistent failure, you wonder are people stupid or is the power of negative propaganda more powerful than reality. An analogy is the Ebola scare, you would think we are all going to catch it any minute now but the fact is more will die from the flu, cancer, heart disease, and a host of other things while the police follow a cyclist in Maine. I've come to think we have become a stupid, senseless, valueless nation of whiners and can't do.

Here's an example and read my republican history in signature.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung/2012/10/10/want-a-better-economy-history-says-vote-democrat/

And today's whiners.

http://www.vanityfair.fr/culture/livre/articles/generation-wuss-by-bret-easton-ellis/15837

"Something is profoundly wrong with the way we live today. For thirty years we have made a virtue out of the pursuit of material self-interest: indeed, this very pursuit now constitutes whatever remains of our sense of collective purpose. We know what things cost but have no idea what they are worth. We no longer ask of a judicial ruling or a legislative act: is it good? Is it fair? Is it just? Is it right? Will it help bring about a better society or a better world? Those used to be the political questions, even if they invited no easy answers. We must learn once again to pose them." Tony Judt 'Ill Fares the Land'

Matty
10-31-2014, 07:20 AM
Mary Landrieu called the entire state of Louisiana racist and sexist. I don't know how she will survive that.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/10/30/dem-sen-landrieu-south-not-always-friendliest-place-for-african-americans/

Matty
10-31-2014, 07:21 AM
And if it looks bad for democrats? Well, it is because they have earned it. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Animal Mother
10-31-2014, 07:55 AM
And Mitt Romney was going to kick Obama's ass. They had polls and everything. I wish just once that the Republican party was actually the party of limited government like they promise and not a ride in on being a bunch of judgmental Puritans.

Matty
10-31-2014, 08:00 AM
And Mitt Romney was going to kick Obama's ass. They had polls and everything. I wish just once that the Republican party was actually the party of limited government like they promise and not a ride in on being a bunch of judgmental Puritans.

You need to vote for and feed the Unicorns!

Animal Mother
10-31-2014, 08:09 AM
You need to vote for and feed the Unicorns!

I already told you I don't believe in small government Republicans.

Mac-7
10-31-2014, 08:14 AM

I guess he never met the Tea Party.

GrassrootsConservative
10-31-2014, 08:45 AM

Compared to the loony Liberals, Republicans are radical anarchists.

Animal Mother
10-31-2014, 08:53 AM
Compared to the loony Liberals, Republicans are radical anarchists.

What Republicans would those be? Not the ones who vote to increase the budget of the DEA, NSA, and DOD by cosmic amounts every year.

Professor Peabody
10-31-2014, 11:21 AM
And if it looks bad for democrats? Well, it is because they have earned it. They have no one to blame but themselves.

They just don't get it Obama Care was supposed to cover the uninsured. So far it covers 7 million including expanded Medicaid out of 45-48 million uninsured. That's about 15%! I guess a 15% success rate is a great victory Liberal Democrats, considering their track record I might agree with them.