PDA

View Full Version : A very dangerous time

pjohns
11-05-2014, 02:08 AM
In an article entitled, "America faces most dangerous two years in 150 years," Charles Hurt of The Washington Times notes the following:

Franklin D. Roosevelt’s court-packing scheme during the Great Depression was nothing like the strains this president has put on Constitution. Indeed, not since the Civil War has America faced such a dire threat to her existence as a lawful, constitutional republic.

The difference in leadership between then and now could not be more striking.

To bind the union, Abraham Lincoln took an economic and political war and elevated it into something higher. He made it about emancipating slaves and won. And saved the Republic.

This president does the opposite. He got elected promising to elevate politics but instead finds unity and sows discord, often inciting racial divisions.

America’s only hope today is that President Obama finally turns to the bust of Lincoln he keeps in the Oval Office and listens.

Regrettably, Mr. Hurt is probably correct.

Anyway, here is the link: HURT: America faces most dangerous two years in 150 years - Washington Times (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/nov/5/hurt-america-faces-most-dangerous-two-years-150-ye/)

Green Arrow
11-05-2014, 07:16 AM
He's incorrect. He argues that our constitutional republic essentially still exists, but is under threat. That's simply not true. Our constitution became officially irrelevant a decade ago. One could argue it has always been irrelevant, since it was violated as far back as second President John Adams, successor to George Washington. But what little had not been abused by Presidents from Adams I to FDR was ultimately destroyed by the end of Bush Jr.'s term and it passed into complete irrelevancy during the Obama years.

Face it, America as it was meant to be has been dead for a long time, and she will never come back.

Captain Obvious
11-05-2014, 07:21 AM
Looks like another hack bedshitter salesman drumming up attention for his blog.

Captain Obvious
11-05-2014, 07:24 AM
He's incorrect. He argues that our constitutional republic essentially still exists, but is under threat. That's simply not true. Our constitution became officially irrelevant a decade ago. One could argue it has always been irrelevant, since it was violated as far back as second President John Adams, successor to George Washington. But what little had not been abused by Presidents from Adams I to FDR was ultimately destroyed by the end of Bush Jr.'s term and it passed into complete irrelevancy during the Obama years.

Face it, America as it was meant to be has been dead for a long time, and she will never come back.

Agreed.

The time to raise the alarm has akready passed, the horse is already out of the barn, jumped the fence and got hit by a passing truck.

Blackrook
11-05-2014, 03:50 PM
There is a solution, which is to begin impeachment proceedings, and take a vote when Obama acts on his threat to grant amnesty to millions of illegal aliens.

Captain Obvious
11-05-2014, 05:20 PM
There is a solution, which is to begin impeachment proceedings, and take a vote when Obama acts on his threat to grant amnesty to millions of illegal aliens.

Meh, stick with Benghaaaaaaazi!

It's better meme material.

Green Arrow
11-05-2014, 05:25 PM

Really? Patriot Act, NDAA, spying on citizens and journalists, harrassing journalists, going to war without congressional approval, murdering an American CHILD without due process...no, your reason for impeaching is immigration?

We're doomed as a nation.

Captain Obvious
11-05-2014, 05:27 PM
Really? Patriot Act, NDAA, spying on citizens and journalists, harrassing journalists, going to war without congressional approval, murdering an American CHILD without due process...no, your reason for impeaching is immigration?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hetaBX00wtI

Blackrook
11-05-2014, 09:37 PM

I never said I didn't care about those issues. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Green Arrow
11-05-2014, 10:54 PM
I never said I didn't care about those issues. Stop putting words in my mouth.

I never said you didn't care about them. I said your reason for impeaching Obama was illegal immigration, rather than murdering American citizens and spying on journalists.

pjohns
11-07-2014, 01:33 AM

Well, I am not quite so pessimistic as you are.

Perhaps that is because I am a traditional conservative--not a libertarian idealist...

Green Arrow
11-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Well, I am not quite so pessimistic as you are.

Perhaps that is because I am a traditional conservative--not a libertarian idealist...

Why don't you try addressing my point and save the petty personal attack for someone that might actually take it to heart.

Captain Obvious
11-11-2014, 08:31 AM
Why don't you try addressing my point and save the petty personal attack for someone that might actually take it to heart.

Mainstream poser conservatism is based in most part in fear and spin.

Just ignore the noise and focus on the issues.

Mac-7
11-11-2014, 08:33 AM

You have described the 1% libertarians well.

if they admitted that they are just 1% wackos no one would give them any attention.

but calling themselves conservatives gets them a second look.

Alyosha
11-11-2014, 08:45 AM
What clued this guy in to the fact that we're in a dangerous time? Is it the fact that we've lost 90% of the rights Americans had in 1800 or just that Obama is president? I'm going with the latter.

I can't stand the gloom and doomers who show up only to try and scare us about the other political party.

The Civil War fought by people on both sides with the best intentions, fabricated by bankers and elitists, was the beginning of the decline of our principles when it forced a nonvoluntary contract out of citizens. Then when Wilson and the progressives got in they pretty much stabbed the last vestige of liberty right out of the American landscape. Today, we have a dangerous central power who controls all aspects of our lives from what we eat to how we raise our kids and that happened under the watch of both cons and libs who I guess were asleep at the wheel or didn't care.

I don't care about the crocodile tears of Republican or Democratic voters. They let it happen because "The Greater Good!"

Mac-7
11-11-2014, 08:51 AM
What clued this guy in to the fact that we're in a dangerous time? Is it the fact that we've lost 90% of the rights Americans had in 1800 or just that Obama is president? I'm going with the latter.

I can't stand the gloom and doomers who show up only to try and scare us about the other political party.

The Civil War fought by people on both sides with the best intentions, fabricated by bankers and elitists, was the beginning of the decline of our principles when it forced a nonvoluntary contract out of citizens. Then when Wilson and the progressives got in they pretty much stabbed the last vestige of liberty right out of the American landscape. Today, we have a dangerous central power who controls all aspects of our lives from what we eat to how we raise our kids and that happened under the watch of both cons and libs who I guess were asleep at the wheel or didn't care.

I don't care about the crocodile tears of Republican or Democratic voters. They let it happen because "The Greater Good!"

I think you try to make the best with what you have to work with.

you are complaining about events that happened 150 years ago as if the voters alive today are responsible for it.

America was a very different place in 1870 than it is today and for you to expect those simpler times to return, along with the greater freedom people enjoyed, is not vey practical.

Captain Obvious
11-11-2014, 08:51 AM

Like voting for Robomny and pretending he's a conservative?

Green Arrow
11-11-2014, 08:53 AM

you are complaining about events that happened 150 years ago as if the voters alive today are responsible for it.

America was a very different place in 1870 than it is today and for you to expect those simpler times to return, along with the greater freedom people enjoyed, is not vey practical.

I agree with you, actually. It's not very practical to expect America to go back to the ideals of freedom and equality it was founded on, because there will always be people like yourself, no offense, that will justify the erosion of those ideals and halt any attempt at progressing forward to those ideals again. As time goes on, those people become a majority, and we lose ourselves for eternity.

Mac-7
11-11-2014, 08:54 AM
Like voting for Robomny and pretending he's a conservative?

when alternative is Obama?

absolutely.

Captain Obvious
11-11-2014, 08:55 AM
when alternative is Obama?

absolutely.

Then you're finally admitting you did not vote for a conservative.

Glad we understand each other.

I did vote for a conservative, by the way.

Mac-7
11-11-2014, 08:56 AM
I agree with you, actually. It's not very practical to expect America to go back to the ideals of freedom and equality it was founded on, because there will always be people like yourself, no offense, that will justify the erosion of those ideals and halt any attempt at progressing forward to those ideals again. As time goes on, those people become a majority, and we lose ourselves for eternity.

I believe in freedom and equality.

but your definition of freedom is really libertarian anarchy.

open borders and uncontrolled migration for instance.

Green Arrow
11-11-2014, 08:58 AM
I believe in freedom and equality.

but your definition of freedom is really libertarian anarchy.

open borders and uncontrolled migration for instance.

Really, I believe in open borders and uncontrolled migration?

Do show me where I advocated such a position.

Alyosha
11-11-2014, 08:59 AM
You have described the 1% libertarians well.

if they admitted that they are just 1% wackos no one would give them any attention.

but calling themselves conservatives gets them a second look.

Can you pause on the nonsensical haikus for a moment because I have something to say.

Principles are the only thing that prevents evil from usurping good and you and your ilk would throw them to one side just to maintain some filthy status quo which has caused the abuse, torture, and harm of people who never did anything to you.

Saying "no" to rape, torture and brutality is "wacko" to you, and your saying "yes" is evil to me.

God will not be mocked. Whatever a man soweth, so shall he reap.

Mac-7
11-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Saying "no" to rape, torture and brutality is "wacko" to you, and your saying "yes" is evil to me.

No, but your failure to see that the CIA was necessary to our national defense is wacko.

Captain Obvious
11-11-2014, 09:03 AM
No, but your failure to see that the CIA was necessary to our national defense is wacko.

That story took the CIA a long way during the cold war.

Looks like it still has legs.

Mac-7
11-11-2014, 09:04 AM
Really, I believe in open borders and uncontrolled migration?

I was referring to libertarians in general.

Chris for instance.

Green Arrow
11-11-2014, 09:07 AM
I was referring to libertarians in general.

Chris for instance.

You were very clearly speaking to me personally, but that's okay, you can run away from it and I won't stop you.

Mac-7
11-11-2014, 09:12 AM
You were very clearly speaking to me personally, but that's okay, you can run away from it and I won't stop you.

I was lumping you in with all the other malcontents on this board who are so pathologically down on the repubs.

but there are exceptions on particular issues and if you are not for amnesty and open borders I apologize.

Green Arrow
11-11-2014, 09:16 AM
I was lumping you in with all the other malcontents on this board who are so pathologically down on the repubs.

but there are exceptions on particular issues and if you are not for amnesty and open borders I apologize.

Good start. You might also apologize for wrongly accusing me of being a "malcontent" that is "pathologically down on repubs," particularly considering I've voted for more Republicans in my short voting life than any other party, including two Republicans just a few days ago.

Captain Obvious
11-11-2014, 09:19 AM
Good start. You might also apologize for wrongly accusing me of being a "malcontent" that is "pathologically down on repubs," particularly considering I've voted for more Republicans in my short voting life than any other party, including two Republicans just a few days ago.

So the rest of us malcontents aren't good enough for you, eh?

Mac-7
11-11-2014, 09:22 AM

I still don't know your position on illegal aliens.

Green Arrow
11-11-2014, 09:29 AM
I still don't know your position on illegal aliens.

As in all things, I favor balance and common sense. You'll never deport them all, it's realistically and logistically insane. So, deport the ones with criminal backgrounds. All the others, if they are working and paying taxes, give them an expedited path to citizenship. If they are not working or paying taxes, give them a choice: work and pay taxes, or we'll help you pack your bags and send you home.

As we do that, shut down the border for 10 years, at minimum. Only selective immigration will be permitted in that ten year period. If the ten years pass and America's fiscal house is not in order, the closure and selective immigration continues for another ten years. To enforce the border closure, I'd close all foreign bases and relocate our military to our northern and southern borders.

Mac-7
11-11-2014, 09:35 AM
. All the others, if they are working and paying taxes, give them an expedited path to citizenship. If they are not working or paying taxes, give them a choice: work and pay taxes, or we'll help you pack your bags and send you home.

Why do you have to make them citizens?

There should be some small reason for foreigners to obey our immigration laws and the reward of citizenship is one of them.

but I like your position generally.

Green Arrow
11-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Why do you have to make them citizens?

There should be some small reason for foreigners to obey our immigration laws and the reward of citizenship is one of them.

but I like your position generally.

Well, either you can make them citizens that work and pay taxes, or you can have a bunch of people you can't even track down collecting welfare and otherwise living off the grid.

I prefer the former.

Mac-7
11-11-2014, 09:49 AM
Well, either you can make them citizens that work and pay taxes, or you can have a bunch of people you can't even track down collecting welfare and otherwise living off the grid.

I prefer the former.

You can make them legal residents of the US without being citizens.

Green Arrow
11-11-2014, 09:50 AM
You can make them legal residents of the US without being citizens.

What's the difference, functionally?

Mac-7
11-11-2014, 09:54 AM
What's the difference, functionally?

The difference is that they can't vote, and they cannot engage in chain migration under the 1965 immigration law sponsored by Ted Kennedy commonly known as the family unification act.

We should repeal the law, but at least don't create more citizens to engage in chain migration and bring in their whole family from back in the old country.