PDA

View Full Version : The backstory on that viral NYC harassment video

Bo-4
11-06-2014, 11:03 AM
This is interesting, and no i would NOT want to be an attractive, single lady walking the streets of NYC.

Also amazing what you can do with those little GoPro cams!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/wp/2014/10/29/the-story-behind-that-10-hours-of-walking-in-nyc-viral-street-harassment-video/

Captain Obvious
11-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Back... story?

Pun?

The Xl
11-06-2014, 11:35 AM
The vast majority of those cannot logically be considered harassment.

Common
11-06-2014, 11:58 AM
The vast majority of those cannot logically be considered harassment.

Its fricken NYC lol if people walked the city and rode the subway and got around a bit, they would stop sweating the small shit cuz theres alotta big stuff to sweat.

Attractive women unfortunately have been going through that forever. Take an attractive young lady and do teh same video in any city you will have the same result. Is it RIGHT ? no she should not be harrangued, but its never going to stop.

Alyosha
11-06-2014, 12:00 PM
When I would walk around with Codename Section in certain areas of the city he would be harassed by gay men. Men are sight hounds. Either understand it or shoot them, I guess.

I usually ignore them, flip them the bird, or tell them I'm an attorney, make up a law and threaten to sue. Usually works.

del
11-06-2014, 12:58 PM
whenever someone says i'm an attorney/lawyer, i always see this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX8oPjPU5x8

then i laugh uncontrollably

Captain Obvious
11-06-2014, 01:01 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX8oPjPU5x8

"O'Brien speaking"

:biglaugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3v4PKLdNV0

del
11-06-2014, 01:04 PM
http://www.123posters.com/images/movie/f-stooges7.jpg

Bo-4
11-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Its fricken NYC lol if people walked the city and rode the subway and got around a bit, they would stop sweating the small shit cuz theres alotta big stuff to sweat.

Attractive women unfortunately have been going through that forever. Take an attractive young lady and do teh same video in any city you will have the same result. Is it RIGHT ? no she should not be harrangued, but its never going to stop.

Nope, it won't stop as long as people put up with it huh?

Bo-4
11-06-2014, 05:16 PM
When I would walk around with Codename Section in certain areas of the city he would be harassed by gay men. Men are sight hounds. Either understand it or shoot them, I guess.

I usually ignore them, flip them the bird, or tell them I'm an attorney, make up a law and threaten to sue. Usually works.

Fair pont Aly, but REALLY? Women are to just DEAL with this crap???

Redrose
11-06-2014, 05:50 PM
The article mentions that it was mostly minority men making the cat calls, some editing issues????

There are some cultures, like in Puerto Rico that treat women like that as a normal occurrence. When we were in PR in the '70's I had on shorts and a tank top, walking hand in hand with my husband...a big man.
Men would make the "kissing" sound at me, say things in Spanish and broken English with gestures not flattering to a woman, and then one young man actually came right up to me and stroked my upper arm. My husband confronted him, but before we knew it we were out numbered, so we went back to the hotel.

The more diversified our nation gets, the more we will have to deal with customs we're not accustomed to. Sadly, if you complain, you are called a bigot or racist. We are expected to respect those who are different from ourselves, but they need to be respectful to us and our customs also.

Mister D
11-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Fair pont Aly, but REALLY? Women are to just DEAL with this crap???

What do you propose we do about it?

Bo-4
11-07-2014, 07:29 AM

Thanks for that, never seen it -- LoL!! :D

Bo-4
11-07-2014, 07:33 AM
The article mentions that it was mostly minority men making the cat calls, some editing issues????

There are some cultures, like in Puerto Rico that treat women like that as a normal occurrence. When we were in PR in the '70's I had on shorts and a tank top, walking hand in hand with my husband...a big man.
Men would make the "kissing" sound at me, say things in Spanish and broken English with gestures not flattering to a woman, and then one young man actually came right up to me and stroked my upper arm. My husband confronted him, but before we knew it we were out numbered, so we went back to the hotel.

The more diversified our nation gets, the more we will have to deal with customs we're not accustomed to. Sadly, if you complain, you are called a bigot or racist. We are expected to respect those who are different from ourselves, but they need to be respectful to us and our customs also.

Yeah the race issue has been discussed quite a bit with a lot of different theories. Wow, i can't believe that happened to you when you were with a man. That takes cajones.

Alyosha
11-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Unless we make another law to add to the literally 150,000 laws that people already disregard I don't see what else we can do aside from use pepper spray on assholes and that's outside the NYC ordinance. Brooklyn you can, but the main part of Manhattan you can't purchase it because of a city specific ordinance.

del
11-07-2014, 01:07 PM
all i've been able to do about it is raise my son not to be an asshole.

it seems to have worked

The Xl
11-07-2014, 01:19 PM
This shit was tame. The only one that was uncomfortable and where force probably would have been justified is where the dude followed her like an inch apart for 5 minutes. The rest were nothing.

The Xl
11-07-2014, 01:21 PM

Stop. American whites do this too. It's a male thing, and perhaps more specifically, a NYC thing.

Bo-4
11-07-2014, 01:28 PM
This shit was tame. The only one that was uncomfortable and where force probably would have been justified is where the dude followed her like an inch apart for 5 minutes. The rest were nothing.

Really -- Is that the way you taught your son to behave around women? No doubt he'll make a fine, upstanding conservative! ;-)

The Xl
11-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Really -- Is that the way you taught your son to behave around women? No doubt he'll make a fine, upstanding conservative! ;-)

I don't have a son.

And why resort to a logical fallacy? Just because I think it was tame doesn't mean I engage in those sorts of acts.

Bo-4
11-07-2014, 01:36 PM
I don't have a son.

And why resort to a logical fallacy? Just because I think it was tame doesn't mean I engage in those sorts of acts.

Got a daughter? --- want her to be surrounded by catcalls from cretins??

The Xl
11-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Got a daughter? --- want her to be surrounded by catcalls from cretins??

No, but I have a younger sister.

In any case, who said I wanted it? I merely said it wasn't what it has been talked up to be, and frankly, isn't illegal behavior.

Redrose
11-07-2014, 03:08 PM
Unless we make another law to add to the literally 150,000 laws that people already disregard I don't see what else we can do aside from use pepper spray on assholes and that's outside the NYC ordinance. Brooklyn you can, but the main part of Manhattan you can't purchase it because of a city specific ordinance.

The catcalls are annoying, women just try to ignore them, but the young man who walked beside her for several minutes needed a good dose of pepper spray. To me he was stalking her. That is not good. I've always told my daughters to protect the immediate space around them. With all the nutty crimes happening to innocent folks just walking around, getting that close to you is unacceptable. I worked and lived in NYC for years, I was mugged, stabbed, stalked, groped, chased, robbed, pushed down subway stairs, and a man ejaculated on the back of my coat in a subway car. That was over 45 years ago, women are targets and those uncouth men don't help the situation.

Mister D
11-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Stop. American whites do this too. It's a male thing, and perhaps more specifically, a NYC thing.

Stop. Yes, white guys do it too but this wouldn't happen in Portland. :wink:

Redrose
11-07-2014, 03:23 PM
Stop. Yes, white guys do it too but this wouldn't happen in Portland. :wink:

It happens in all big cities, an incident in Miami almost ended up in a gun fight. Guns were drawn, luckily no shots were fired.

Most of the White guys I grew up around were more subtle than their minorirty counterparts.

Mister D
11-07-2014, 03:27 PM
It happens in all big cities, an incident in Miami almost ended up in a gun fight. Guns were drawn, luckily no shots were fired.

Most of the White guys I grew up around were more subtle than their minorirty counterparts.

No surprise that happened in Miami.

Which is why it wouldn't happen in Portland. :wink: