PDA

View Full Version : The Dallas Buyers Club Law

Peter1469
11-06-2014, 08:48 PM
The Dallas Buyers Club Law (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/11/05/voters-in-arizona-just-overwhelmingly-backed-a-dallas-buyers-club-law-will-it-help-patients/?wp_login_redirect=0) has come to Arizona, after being passed in other states.

This law allows people with terminal illness greater access to unproven (sanctioned) treatments. This makes more sense than doctor assisted suicide.

BTW, I highly recommend the movie that the law was named after.

Arizona voters on Tuesday became the latest state to approve a law providing terminally ill patients with greater access to unproven medical treatments, following in the footsteps of four states enacting similar measures this year.
Arizona's new law marks the first time a so-called "Right to Try" measure was approved by ballot initiative — and did so convincingly (http://tucson.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/arizona-props-no-raises-for-lawmakers-right-to-try-passes/article_752ba4ae-649e-11e4-b4d3-03c855af77ce.html) — after Colorado, Louisiana, Missouri and Michigan all passed laws in the past six months.

Interestingly, there's a pop culture peg that seems to be providing momentum to this movement. These laws are drawing comparisons to the 2013 movie "Dallas Buyers Club," in which Matthew McConaughey portrays an AIDS patient in the mid-1980s who smuggles in unregulated pharmaceutical drugs from across the border.

nathanbforrest45
11-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Not a bad idea at all. What harm could it do?

del
11-06-2014, 08:56 PM
it was a good movie

Peter1469
11-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Right. If you have a terminal illness why would the State care if you were using unapproved treatments..., unless the State was being controlled by the pharmaceutical industry, that could lose billions if these alternative treatments came online..... :shocked:

Blackrook
11-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Does this law give pharmaceutical companies immunity from lawsuits when these untested drugs turn out to be harmful or fatal?

Peter1469
11-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Does this law give pharmaceutical companies immunity from lawsuits when these untested drugs turn out to be harmful or fatal?

You would have to read the law. But the target isn't stuff coming from pharmaceuticals. It is the alternative treatments.

Blackrook
11-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Alternative treatments that are untested will harm or kill the people using them. Then there's a lawsuit against the maker of the drug, who is caught unaware because they're not finished testing the drug and it hasn't been approved by the FDA. This law introduces chaos and unfairness in the system.

Peter1469
11-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Alternative treatments that are untested will harm or kill the people using them. Then there's a lawsuit against the maker of the drug, who is caught unaware because they're not finished testing the drug and it hasn't been approved by the FDA. This law introduces chaos and unfairness in the system.

That is unfair. Lots of alternative treatments work. They are just suppressed by big pharma. I doubt that the law applies to FDA regulated pharmaceuticals. But who knows- they did it with the Ebola test vaccines.

Blackrook
11-06-2014, 09:39 PM
That is unfair. Lots of alternative treatments work. They are just suppressed by big pharma. I doubt that the law applies to FDA regulated pharmaceuticals. But who knows- they did it with the Ebola test vaccines.
What is an alternative treatment?

sachem
11-06-2014, 09:49 PM
The Dallas Buyers Club Law (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/11/05/voters-in-arizona-just-overwhelmingly-backed-a-dallas-buyers-club-law-will-it-help-patients/?wp_login_redirect=0) has come to Arizona, after being passed in other states.

This law allows people with terminal illness greater access to unproven (sanctioned) treatments. This makes more sense than doctor assisted suicide.

BTW, I highly recommend the movie that the law was named after.I really thought it was an "ok" movie at best. I do support the law however. And even with this law, assisted suicides are still needed.

Peter1469
11-06-2014, 09:50 PM
What is an alternative treatment?

There are many. It depends upon the problem. Watch the movie if you want to get an idea about it.

Common
11-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Everyone can end their life the govt cant stop that. The discussion is how a person ends their life.
With dignity assisted by a medical person, or one of the traditional means, barrel in your mouth, jump off the 4th story, jump in front of a subway car, etc.

Peter1469
11-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Everyone can end their life the govt cant stop that. The discussion is how a person ends their life.
With dignity assisted by a medical person, or one of the traditional means, barrel in your mouth, jump off the 4th story, jump in front of a subway car, etc.

This thread isn't about ending your life. But rather saving it by obtaining suppressed alternative treatments for terminal illnesses.

nathanbforrest45
11-07-2014, 08:55 AM
If I am going to die in six months regardless of what approved medical procedure I may use why is allowing something that is not an approved medical procedure "unfair to the system"? If it works I get to live a while longer, if it doesn't well then I die in 180 days rather than 6 months.

All regulation, regardless of its stated intent, is designed to protect one industry from competition from another.