PDA

View Full Version : Everything Is Bigger in Texas—Like, for Instance, Wendy Davis’s Loss

Blackrook
11-06-2014, 11:36 PM
Everything Is Bigger in Texas—Like, for Instance, Wendy Davis’s Loss (http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/392160/everything-bigger-texas-instance-wendy-daviss-loss-ian-tuttle)
By Ian Tuttle (http://www.nationalreview.com/author/ian-tuttle)
November 6, 2014 11:56 AM (http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/392160/everything-bigger-texas-instance-wendy-daviss-loss-ian-tuttle)

Wendy, we barely knew ye! Actually, that’s not true. We knew Wendy Davis well — too well. It is difficult to think of a more overexposed candidate in the 2014 election cycle.

We knew (from the get-go) that she was a publicity-stunt actress with show-stopping athletic shoes made famous when she spoke for eleven hours in favor of a woman’s “right” to kill her unborn child. We knew that she was the type of woman who leaves her husband and children in Texas to attend Harvard Law School, then divorces said husband the day after he pays her final law-school bill. And we found that she had — like many another brand-name politician — a politically convenient memory of myriad personal details. Of course, her memory was infallible when it came to the memoir she released less than two months before the election.

In case that was not enough, we found out, too, that she was not suited to running for homecoming queen, let alone governor of a state with an economy the size of two Switzerlands, about the functioning of which she seemed to be perilously confused (http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/390930/wendy-davis-confused-about-what-governor-state-does-ian-tuttle). And if she was not on the campaign trail failing Civics 101, she was excelling in Advanced Mudslinging, accusing her wheelchair-bound opponent of exploiting his disability for votes, or of threatening to rescind the right to interracial marriage — despite the fact that he is married to a Hispanic woman.

As I wrote in my pre-mortem postmortem (http://www.nationalreview.com/article/390856/whither-wendy-davis-ian-tuttle) of the Wendy Davis campaign two weeks ago, Davis’s candidacy will never rise to the levels of infamy achieved by Todd Akin and Christine O’Donnell, because she had the benefit of a “D” next to her name. But Davis was a worse candidate than either, victimized not by a single foolish comment, but by managing to step on more rakes than Sideshow Bob (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbd4t-ua-WQ). Adding to that was her determination to double down on those mistakes, so that she often looked not just bumbling, but mean.

It is quite possible, though, that Davis never saw them as mistakes; much like the president, she may be constitutionally incapable of humility. That would be little surprise in someone who was transformed into a national star on the basis of her abortion extremism.

For Davis was, indeed, a star made, not born — specially selected by the national Democratic party Powers-That-Be as the messiah who would bring peace and social justice to the Texas wilds. That is, until it became clear that she did not stand a chance against Republican Greg Abbott, at which point the national machine withdrew its support and left Davis a sacrificial lamb. MSNBC prostrated itself before Davis in the days and weeks following her filibuster. After briefly noting her loss Tuesday night, the network never mentioned her again. Wendy? Wendy who?

To be fair, it was hard to find a silver lining in her performance. Davis not only lost by a full 20 points (59.3 to 38.9 percent, according to Politico) and just under 1 million votes. She lost easy Democratic areas, such as San Antonio’s Bexar County and Houston’s Harris County. She lost women, according to exit polls. She lost two-thirds of voters over the age of 50. She lost self-styled “moderates.” She lost anyone with a high-school degree or more.

Well, as they say, everything is bigger in Texas.

But what is ultimately refreshing about Tuesday’s results in the Lone Star State is not simply that a bad candidate lost; rather, what lost were the extravagant efforts by national Democrats and a left-wing media complex to champion as the bold new face of their party a candidate who insisted that Texas was one Republican governor away from segregated water fountains and Hobby Lobby goon-squads policing women’s uteruses.

If Democrats want to peddle that shtick successfully, they should stick to San Francisco.

One last tidbit: Davis’s former Texas senate seat, which she gave up to run for governor? It now belongs to Republican Konni Burton. She is a tea-partier, and pro-life.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/392160/everything-bigger-texas-instance-wendy-daviss-loss-ian-tuttle

Wendy Davis was probably the most awful candidate for office ever seen in America, and that includes Obama.

Let's hope her complete burial at the polls ends her career.

Calypso Jones
11-06-2014, 11:40 PM
sweet irony, isn't it?

Blackrook
11-06-2014, 11:42 PM
She divorced her husband after he paid off her law school debt. Why would ANYONE vote for such a woman?

Professor Peabody
11-07-2014, 12:02 AM
Davis’ contributions include $210,000 from Houston investor Lillie Robertson, $150,000 from Dallas arts patron Marguerite Hoffman, $125,000 from Houston trial lawyer Steve Mostyn and $100,000 from the Beaumont law firm Provost Umphrey. Her out-of-state contributions include $100,000 from the SEIU labor union in Washington and $80,000 from Wendy Schmidt of Palo Alto, Calif., a philanthropist and wife of the Google executive director. She received more than $900,000 as in-kind contribution work from Battleground Texas, the Texas Organizing Project and Planned Parenthood.

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/2014/10/tale-of-the-tape-greg-abbott-with-13-million-in-the-bank-wendy-davis-about-1-million.html/

As long as the Liberals keep wasting money on losing battles like this, I am truly happy!

Calypso Jones
11-07-2014, 12:04 AM
She divorced her husband after he paid off her law school debt. Why would ANYONE vote for such a woman?

feminists would...they love it. She also let him have the kids. LOL

decedent
11-07-2014, 12:12 AM

Me and my God know that Wendy Davis is a liberal wh****.

Max Rockatansky
11-07-2014, 07:36 AM
Despite the hoopla and recriminations, Davis never had a chance. IIRC, she never polled less than 10 points close to Abbott.

Alyosha
11-07-2014, 08:00 AM
Me and my God know that Wendy Davis is a liberal wh****.
decedent

since no one actually believes you're a conservative, can't you just act like a mature liberal and post how you really feel? You really don't do liberals credit trolling the forum like this.

Captain Obvious
11-07-2014, 08:09 AM
@decedent (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1267)

since no one actually believes you're a conservative, can't you just act like a mature liberal and post how you really feel? You really don't do liberals credit trolling the forum like this.

Oh, c'mon Aly - he's funny.

Alyosha
11-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Oh, c'mon Aly - he's funny.

somewhat

Captain Obvious
11-07-2014, 08:18 AM
somewhat

He's still far less whack than some of the mondo beyondo shit people like B-rook post.

decedent
11-11-2014, 09:31 PM
I can't stand Wendy Davis. She couldn't go toe to toe with Abbott. He walked away with the seat. She should not have ran against him. He stood tall against her. Winning: it's show he rolls.

silvereyes
11-11-2014, 11:16 PM
What are you .. 12? 11?

Bob
11-11-2014, 11:43 PM
What are you .. 12? 11?

Which makes him your senior. Be respectful please.

jk you

silvereyes
11-11-2014, 11:49 PM
Pffffft. Im probably old enough to be his....er..older aunt. :)

texan
11-12-2014, 10:21 AM

I would never under any circumstances vote for a person like this in either party...........It offends me more that she thinks its perfectly OK to take a baby from the womb at 8 months that isn't a threat to anyone and kill it. Let me mention I am prochoice, but the calous selfish nature of people like her disgust me.

She is a bad person, a greedy person that would step on any of us for any reason not to mention selfish......

Captain Obvious
11-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Pffffft. Im probably old enough to be his....er..older aunt. :)

go with 'naughty babysitter'

Common
11-12-2014, 10:47 AM
The biggest things in texas are Mouths, big nasty mouths that dribble incessantly. Ted Nugent, Ted Cruz, might be a ted thing :)

silvereyes
11-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Careeeeeful there. I live in Texas. :)

decedent
11-12-2014, 11:23 AM
What are you .. 12? 11?

It doesn't hang that low... but lower than any damned lib'rul.

silvereyes
11-12-2014, 02:52 PM
It doesn't hang that low... but lower than any damned lib'rul.
Your IQ? I believe it. Anything else?

texan
11-12-2014, 04:58 PM
The biggest things in texas are Mouths, big nasty mouths that dribble incessantly. Ted Nugent, Ted Cruz, might be a ted thing :)

Ted Nugent?

Silver I am Dallas how about you?

texan
11-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Wow! China Spring near Waco........Also known here as Whaco :grin:

nic34
11-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Careeeeeful there. I live in Texas. :)

And we love us some Ann Richards.

Mac-7
11-12-2014, 07:17 PM
And we love us some Ann Richards.

The potty mouth motorcycle momma?

She didn't last long and the voters booted her out.