PDA

View Full Version : Conspiracy theory reference list

Captain Obvious
11-07-2014, 09:53 AM
For your enjoyment:

http://deslide.clusterfake.net/?o=html_table&u=http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/15-of-the-internets-craziest-conspiracy-theories#gallery-1

Common Sense
11-07-2014, 09:56 AM
I think what draws people to conspiracy theories is the same thing that draws people to religion.

Common Sense
11-07-2014, 10:01 AM
The Beatles one reminds me of one of the crazier conspiracy nuts, Dallasgoldbug (Ed Chiarini ). He thinks that actors have played politicians and multiple roles. For instance he claims that the Columbine shooters are really the Southpark dudes. He's so fucking crazy...but he has a ton of followers.

Captain Obvious
11-07-2014, 10:04 AM
The Beatles one reminds me of one of the crazier conspiracy nuts, Dallasgoldbug (Ed Chiarini ). He thinks that actors have played politicians and multiple roles. For instance he claims that the Columbine shooters are really the Southpark dudes. He's so fucking crazy...but he has a ton of followers.

There was one you don't hear about much anymore but the theory that Paul McCartney died decades ago and was replaced by an exact look-alike to keep the band going.

The lyrics "he blew his mind out in a car, didn't notice that the light had changed" was said to be about McCartney's death.

Common Sense
11-07-2014, 10:08 AM
There was one you don't hear about much anymore but the theory that Paul McCartney died decades ago and was replaced by an exact look-alike to keep the band going.

The lyrics "he blew his mind out in a car, didn't notice that the light had changed" was said to be about McCartney's death.

Yeah, I know that one. The Beatles loved the fact that people read into their lyrics. They seemed to like to fuck with people. I am the Walrus...coo coo ca-choo.

Mister D
11-07-2014, 10:19 AM
I think what draws people to conspiracy theories is the same thing that draws people to religion.

Which is?

Captain Obvious
11-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I know that one. The Beatles loved the fact that people read into their lyrics. They seemed to like to fuck with people. I am the Walrus...coo coo ca-choo.

NPR ran a great interview with Donovan a few months ago. Donovan co-wrote some of the Beatles songs (there was actually a lot of connection between Donovan, The Beatles and Led Zepplin songwise) and suggested that McCartney would just slap nonsensical lyrics together to fill the song in then re-write them after the music was put together and more often than not would just keep the filler lyrics he originally came up with.

Captain Obvious
11-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Which is?

To fill in an intellectual unknown gap.

Polecat
11-07-2014, 10:27 AM
The one about the Denver airport is true. They have a 2 billion dollar luggage shredding temple in the basement.

Captain Obvious
11-07-2014, 10:28 AM
The one about the Denver airport is true. They have a 2 billion dollar luggage shredding temple in the basement.

The Denver airport looks like a big circus tent.

The huge blue horse out in the front is the ultimate gaudy touch.

Polecat
11-07-2014, 10:35 AM
The Denver airport looks like a big circus tent.

The huge blue horse out in the front is the ultimate gaudy touch.
All the fees collected are supposed to be for maintaining and improving the airport. This is a shining example of every major airport in that country that squanders revenue on some architect's wet dream.

Mister D
11-07-2014, 10:43 AM
To fill in an intellectual unknown gap.

There are many such gaps. We don't seek to fill the vast majority of them.

Captain Obvious
11-07-2014, 10:48 AM
All the fees collected are supposed to be for maintaining and improving the airport. This is a shining example of every major airport in that country that squanders revenue on some architect's wet dream.

They should replace that blue horse with this:

http://www.flipflopcaravan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/68801_10150304562360072_634680071_15529595_2415582 _n.jpg

Common Sense
11-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Which is?

The idea that they can understand the unknowable. They also gain a feeling of being "in the know" and it's a great way to soothe the ego.

Mister D
11-07-2014, 11:53 AM
The idea that they can understand the unknowable. They also gain a feeling of being "in the know" and it's a great way to soothe the ego.

I don't know anyone who thinks they understand 'the unknowable'.

Common Sense
11-07-2014, 11:55 AM
I don't know anyone who thinks they understand 'the unknowable'.

How the universe came about? How or why we came about? What happens after you die?

Those to me are unknowable, yet religions tend to give pretty specific answers to these questions and more.

Mister D
11-07-2014, 11:56 AM
How the universe came about? How or why we came about? What happens after you die?

Those to me are unknowable, yet religions tend to give pretty specific answers to these questions and more.

Which religions are those? Certainly not Christianity.

Common Sense
11-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Which religions are those? Certainly not Christianity.

The bible doesn't claim who created the world and man? It doesn't describe an afterlife?

Come on...

Mister D
11-07-2014, 12:00 PM
The bible doesn't claim who created the world and man? It doesn't describe an afterlife?

Come on...

The Genesis myth is pretty vague, Common. It's point is that existence has meaning and purpose. That's hardly a "pretty specific answer". Secondly, when challenged on meaning and purpose you tend to shrug your shoulders as if it didn't matter. That's an intellectual failing on your part not on mine or that of any believer.

The Xl
11-07-2014, 12:01 PM
There are baseless conspiracy theories and there are conspiracy theories with merit. To conflate the two to discredit them all is intellectually dishonest.

Polecat
11-07-2014, 12:03 PM

Come on...

The Bible does not describe how or why. These are the answers that science pursues. Do you believe that billions of dollars were spent in Cern just to please some physicists?

Common Sense
11-07-2014, 12:05 PM
The Genesis myth is pretty vague, Common. It's point is that existence has meaning and purpose. That's hardly a "pretty specific answer". Secondly, when challenged on meaning and purpose you tend to shrug your shoulders as if it didn't matter. That's an intellectual failing on your part not on mine of that of any believer.

I'm sorry I've offended your sensibilities. You tend to attack when that happens...I get it.

The bible and other religious books print in black and white creation stories and views on afterlife. Sure you can interpret them any way you please, but they are written as fact.

My intention wasn't to offend you. It was just an observation. Sheesh...

Common Sense
11-07-2014, 12:07 PM
The Bible does not describe how or why. These are the answers that science pursues. Do you believe that billions of dollars were spent in Cern just to please some physicists?

The bible doesn't say why, granted. It does describe who created the earth and man.

Sure, we could argue semantics all day. We could all get offended and cry and shit...or we could just relax and see what I wrote as what I wrote. Religion answers unknowable questions in my opinion. That was my comparison to conspiracy theories.

PolWatch
11-07-2014, 12:08 PM
thank you capt... I now know a solid, sure investment...absolutely gonna grow in value. Invest in Alcoa Aluminum Foil...I predict a run on tin foil caps!

Polecat
11-07-2014, 12:24 PM
The bible doesn't say why, granted. It does describe who created the earth and man.

Sure, we could argue semantics all day. We could all get offended and cry and $#@!...or we could just relax and see what I wrote as what I wrote. Religion answers unknowable questions in my opinion. That was my comparison to conspiracy theories.

I don't think it's semantics that are at issue. I think it is how you or I or any individual interprets what our various senses bring us. You don't automatically believe something just because you read it somewhere. You have criteria you use to judge the validity of the source. Many of the facts you accept are also "unknowable" but you have enough reason to believe they are indeed the truth. Most people are not concerned with the nuts and bolts of the universe and pursue other interests. Some of us can't help but be curious. There isn't anything wrong with having different beliefs. It is unavoidable.

Mister D
11-07-2014, 12:46 PM
I'm sorry I've offended your sensibilities. You tend to attack when that happens...I get it.

The bible and other religious books print in black and white creation stories and views on afterlife. Sure you can interpret them any way you please, but they are written as fact.

My intention wasn't to offend you. It was just an observation. Sheesh...

:laugh: Typical Common Sense. He makes claim and when challenged on it he claims I'm being defensive.

Mister D
11-07-2014, 12:49 PM

Sure, we could argue semantics all day. We could all get offended and cry and $#@!...or we could just relax and see what I wrote as what I wrote. Religion answers unknowable questions in my opinion. That was my comparison to conspiracy theories.

Yes, religion does address what ultimately cannot be known. It's the connection between and conspiracy theories that's in question here. It's weak. Conspiracy theories answer unknowable questions? What? lol

Secondly, remember the bold next time your delicate sensibilities are offended on matters of race.

Common Sense
11-07-2014, 12:50 PM
:laugh: Typical Common Sense. He makes claim and when challenged on it he claims I'm being defensive.

I just made a casual observation. You launched into me "intellectual failing". I didn't attack you.

When it comes to religion you do get defensive. It's clearly a touchy subject for you. That's fine. It wont keep me up at night.

Mister D
11-07-2014, 12:52 PM
I just made a casual observation. You launched into me "intellectual failing". I didn't attack you.

When it comes to religion you do get defensive. It's clearly a touchy subject for you. That's fine. It wont keep me up at night.

yes, I "launched" into it. :laugh: yes, it's not you can't defend your claims. It's just that I'm defensive.

Common Sense
11-07-2014, 12:54 PM
yes, I "launched" into it. :laugh: yes, it's not you can't defend your claims. It's just that I'm defensive.

I've defended my claims. I didn't attack you.

You are defensive. Clearly.

Or it could just be you relish being an asshole. Either is probably accurate.

Mister D
11-07-2014, 12:57 PM
I've defended my claims. I didn't attack you.

You are defensive. Clearly.

Or it could just be you relish being an $#@!. Either is probably accurate.

No one was "attacked". :laugh: Dude, put your big boy pants on! If you don't wish to discuss your ideas don't post them. For the record, the link between conspiracy theories and religion seems really weak which is why I wished to discuss it. Your inability to do so suggests my first impression was right.

Captain Obvious
11-07-2014, 01:00 PM
DON'T MAKE ME COME UP THERE!!!

:biglaugh:

Common Sense
11-07-2014, 01:57 PM
No one was "attacked". :laugh: Dude, put your big boy pants on! If you don't wish to discuss your ideas don't post them. For the record, the link between conspiracy theories and religion seems really weak which is why I wished to discuss it. Your inability to do so suggests my first impression was right.

Call it what you want. I was willing to have a polite conversation about the topic. You weren't. No big deal.

Polecat
11-07-2014, 02:08 PM
DON'T MAKE ME COME UP THERE!!!

:biglaugh:

Those two act like they're married.

Mister D
11-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Those two act like they're married.

I can do better.