PDA

View Full Version : Many Communities Voting to Get Rid of Big Money From Politics

TrueBlue
11-07-2014, 09:32 PM
‘We will only get louder’: Dozens of communities vote to boot big money from politics
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/we-will-only-get-louder-dozens-of-communities-vote-to-boot-big-money-from-politics/

"The local measures, which were all similarly worded, gained anywhere from 70 percent of the vote in Milwaukee County to 83 percent support in the village of Park Ridge. There are now 54 jurisdictions in Wisconsin that have called for such an amendment, in addition to 16 state legislatures and well over 500 municipalities nationwide."

================================================== ====================
It was wrong from the start to give large corporations the ability to thumb their nose on the little guy and use their big money during elections. The people are now fed up with that and are pushing to undo the wrong this has caused for so many. This measure should send a resounding message all across America that the citizens of this country will not tolerate placing the common little guy at a disadvantage any longer. This matter concerns Citizen's United vs. the Federal Election Commission decision.

Peter1469
11-07-2014, 09:37 PM
I would support this.

Mac-7
11-07-2014, 09:41 PM
Constitutional amendment are very hard to do.

So while this may sound exiting to some people the reality is not so promising.

hanger4
11-07-2014, 11:15 PM
I like #1 and have a problem with #2. It's my money. I should be able to give as much as I want to whom I want. Needs to be public knowledge thought.

Mac-7
11-08-2014, 03:35 AM
I like #1 and have a problem with #2. It's my money. I should be able to give as much as I want to whom I want. Needs to be public knowledge thought.

Why?

So that mobs of Obama voters can camp out around conservative donors houses?

I think the constitutional right to privacy comes into play here.

hanger4
11-08-2014, 07:01 AM
Why?

So that mobs of Obama voters can camp out around conservative donors houses?

I think the constitutional right to privacy comes into play here.
Wouldn't happen, most Obama voters can't read beyond a 3rd grade level. :)

Chris
11-08-2014, 07:13 AM
The problem isn't with those who give money but those who take it: Government.

Look at the BoR, what entity is prohibited from certain powers? Government.

The Constitution defines government.

Mac-7
11-08-2014, 07:26 AM
Wouldn't happen, most Obama voters can't read beyond a 3rd grade level. :)

Yes, but they can follow instructions and get on a bus to be transported across town.

Adelaide
11-08-2014, 01:34 PM
I believe that in order for elections to be free and accessible to all constituents, it makes the most sense to implement a maximum for campaign donations and spending. For MPs up here, it's about $75,000. There are limits on how much one person can donate to a candidate or to a party. The result is that we have people in our Parliament who are "average Joes" and are actually somewhat representative of the people they're meant to represent.

PolWatch
11-08-2014, 01:38 PM
I believe that as long as we allow candidates to slop at the trough as we do now, we will continue to have the best government money can buy. Its just a coincidence that large corps seem to be more successful than average citizens in getting the benefits...:wink:

Polecat
11-08-2014, 01:42 PM
I don't think campaigning should even be allowed. You can hire a PR guru and with a little polish we can be convinced that any turd is fit for office. None of that Madison avenue poly razz a ma tazz should be allowed. Any candidate that wants to be considered should be required to hand write a resume and post it online. This would cut through the crap in short order.

Peter1469
11-08-2014, 01:54 PM
People should be able to donate to the candidate of their choice. All transparent so voters can see who gets want and when.

Corporations are not people and ought to have no right to contribute to political campaigns. They can always lobby Congress.

Polecat
11-08-2014, 02:10 PM
People should be able to donate to the candidate of their choice. All transparent so voters can see who gets want and when.

Corporations are not people and ought to have no right to contribute to political campaigns. They can always lobby Congress.

How much does it cost to compose your own resume and statement of beliefs?

Peter1469
11-08-2014, 02:26 PM
How much does it cost to compose your own resume and statement of beliefs?

I guess it depends on what your time is worth.

Someone with no job- $0.

Me. A lot more than that.

The Xl
11-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Money in topics is literally bribery.

Would you take, let's say, a World Series game between the Yankees and Reds, whoever the fuck, seriously if you knew the Yankees gave millions of dollars to the ump? Of course not. You'd probably want criminal charges levied as well.

Why is money in politics any different?