PDA

View Full Version : High Fructose Corn Syrup May Make You Stupid

Conley
05-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Attention, college students cramming between midterms and finals: Binging on soda and sweets for as little as six weeks may make you stupid.

A new UCLA study is the first to show how a diet steadily high in fructose slows the brain, hampering memory and learning — and how omega-3 fatty acids can counteract the disruption. The peer-reviewed Journal of Physiology publishes the findings in its edition today (May 15).

“Our findings illustrate that what you eat affects how you think,” said Fernando Gomez-Pinilla, a professor of neurosurgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and a professor of integrative biology and physiology in the UCLA College of Letters and Science. “Eating a high-fructose diet over the long term alters your brain’s ability to learn and remember information. But adding omega-3 fatty acids to your meals can help minimize the damage.”

While earlier research has revealed how fructose harms the body through its role in diabetes, obesity and fatty liver, this study is the first to uncover how the sweetener influences the brain. The UCLA team zeroed in on high-fructose corn syrup, an inexpensive liquid six times sweeter than cane sugar, that is commonly added to processed foods, including soft drinks, condiments, applesauce and baby food. The average American consumes more than 40 pounds of high-fructose corn syrup per year, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

http://health.universityofcalifornia.edu/2012/05/15/ucla-study-shows-high-fructose-diet-sabotages-learning-memory/

Stay away from the poison!

Calypso Jones
05-25-2012, 05:10 PM
who paid for that study? The aspartame people?

Conley
05-25-2012, 05:19 PM
who paid for that study? The aspartame people?

Nope, you paid for it.

From the article - "The UCLA study was funded by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke."

Trinnity
05-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Dang, no more gummy bears???

Conley
05-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Dang, no more gummy bears???

The occasional treat is ok. Practice moderation. :grin:

Calypso Jones
05-25-2012, 05:31 PM
I think i'll have me some dessert.

wingrider
05-25-2012, 05:52 PM