PDA

View Full Version : How to get a gun carry permit in DC

Captain Obvious
11-12-2014, 12:44 PM
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/27347523/emily-miller-dc-gun-carry-permit

“You need to meet two criteria,” Agurs explained. “First that your life is in danger, your family or your property, or you have the type of business you carry large sums of money, jewelry. Under those circumstances, you can get a carry permit in DC.”

“To prove my life is in danger?” I asked. “Obviously there is a rising crime rate and a high rate of murders and sexual assaults in D.C. -- is that enough to say I want this for self-defense?”

“You have to prove you need concealed carry as opposed to just wanting one,” he replied.

Prove a need for a constitutional right? That's what D.C.'s new law says.

The application that Agurs gave me said that living and working in a high crime city is not enough to get a carry permit. I read further down where it says that it has to be “a special danger to your life."

What's the difference between a regular danger -- like getting raped and murdered on the street --- and a special danger? You have to prove you are being targeted.

“Do I have to give evidence?” I asked.

“Yes ma'am,” said Agurs.

“I was a victim of a home invasion. And I've gotten a threat against me. Do I just give the police records?” I asked.

“Yes, ma'am,” he said.

I asked Agurs who will decide whether or not my self-defense needs are special?

That's something the chief of police will do,” he said, referring to Chief Cathy Lanier. “But you'll have your reasons why you feel like you need it.”

“The chief of police personally will decide whether or not I get a carry permit?” I asked.

“You know it usually works-- it's going to be her or someone on her staff,” he said.

Proving a “need” is just one part of the carry permit application. You have to do 16 hours of classroom training, plus two hours at the range.

“Where do I go to do that?” I asked Agurs.

“Unfortunately, I think they are still setting up the classes,” he replied.

Peter1469
11-12-2014, 12:46 PM
SCOTUS is going to strike this new law down. The city isn't even trying to comply.

Common
11-12-2014, 01:32 PM
This wont be a popular answer on the forum but here goes

If you want to carry a concealed weapon, aside from background checks. You should be required to list the specific the gun you are going to carry then produce a certification that you are proficient in safety an use and that should be the only gun you can carry.

There are too many tards right here in fla that I KNOW personally cant even take their gun apart and clean it and they carry it. Im forever being asked to show people how to disassemble their pistol to clean it. I tell them buy a revolover and LEARN how to shoot it.

These clowns buy a gun never shoot a round out of it, they want what they think are hotshot guns 40 cals and 9mm pistols and they cant hit themselves in the foot with it. Ridiculous and dangerous

Peter1469
11-12-2014, 02:15 PM
In Virginia you have to have a training course, although it is waived for military.

PolWatch
11-12-2014, 02:25 PM
I know quite a few people who feel like if they can afford to buy it...they don't need anything else. Since some of the idiots don't even know where the safety on the gun is, but still seem to be winning the discussion, I've given up. Let 'em shoot their teenagers sneaking in the house after hours or shoot off their own toes. The best I can hope for is they continue to stick a loaded weapon in their pants & shoot something else. It will reduce the reproduction of idiots.

momsapplepie
11-12-2014, 02:27 PM
I have no problem with people having to prove their knowledge of safety and proficiency for a CCW. All gun owners should have to take a safety course as far as I'm concerned.

Cigar
11-12-2014, 02:30 PM

If you want to carry a concealed weapon, aside from background checks. You should be required to list the specific the gun you are going to carry then produce a certification that you are proficient in safety an use and that should be the only gun you can carry.

There are too many tards right here in fla that I KNOW personally cant even take their gun apart and clean it and they carry it. Im forever being asked to show people how to disassemble their pistol to clean it. I tell them buy a revolover and LEARN how to shoot it.

These clowns buy a gun never shoot a round out of it, they want what they think are hotshot guns 40 cals and 9mm pistols and they cant hit themselves in the foot with it. Ridiculous and dangerous

:laugh:

Mac-7
11-12-2014, 07:13 PM

Most cops can't take their car apart and put it back together correctly but they still drive.