PDA

View Full Version : DamNation film

Chloe
11-12-2014, 01:40 PM
This is a new film about the removal of old dams that hold little to no value around the country and their current harmful affects towards wildlife and the environment. Here is a brief synopsis of the story:

This powerful film odyssey across America explores the sea change in our national attitude from pride in big dams as engineering wonders to the growing aware- ness that our own future is bound to the life and health of our rivers. Dam removal has moved beyond the fictional Monkey Wrench Gang to go mainstream. Where obsolete dams come down, rivers bound back to life, giving salmon and other wild fish the right of return to primeval spawning grounds, after decades without access. DamNation’s majestic cinematography and unexpected discoveries move through rivers and landscapes altered by dams, but also through a meta- morphosis in values, from conquest of the natural world to knowing ourselves as part of nature.
DamNation opens big, on a birth, with the stirring words of Franklin D. Roosevelt at the dedication of Hoover Dam, and on a death, as the engineer at Elwha Dam powers down the turbine on its last day. DamNation stints neither the history nor the science of dams, and above all conveys experiences known so far to only a few, including the awe of watching a 30-pound salmon hurtling 20 feet into the air in a vain attempt to reach the spawning grounds that lie barricaded upriver. We witness the seismic power of a dam breaking apart and, once the river breaks free, the elation in a watching wild salmon — after a century of denied access — swimming their way home.

Home | DamNation (http://damnationfilm.com/)

FAQ | DamNation (http://damnationfilm.com/faq)

Hydropower Dams Hamper Migrating Fish Despite Passage Features, Study Finds | UANews (http://uanews.org/story/hydropower-dams-hamper-migrating-fish-despite-passage-features-study-finds)

Exclusive: Run-of-river power projects kill fish | Wilderness Committee (https://www.wildernesscommittee.org/news/exclusive_run_of_river_power_projects_kill_fish)

GrassrootsConservative
11-12-2014, 01:46 PM
This powerful film odyssey across America explores the sea change in our national attitude from pride in big dams as engineering wonders to the growing aware- ness that our own future is bound to the life and health of our rivers. Dam removal has moved beyond the fictional Monkey Wrench Gang to go mainstream. Where obsolete dams come down, rivers bound back to life, giving salmon and other wild fish the right of return to primeval spawning grounds, after decades without access. DamNation’s majestic cinematography and unexpected discoveries move through rivers and landscapes altered by dams, but also through a meta- morphosis in values, from conquest of the natural world to knowing ourselves as part of nature. (http://damnationfilm.com/)

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder why you post such biased articles. How are we supposed to debate something with lies like "we have to support rivers and lakes" because our future depends on it? Silly.

Common
11-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Chloe, in all honesty I dont think any Huge expensive endeavors like this are going anywhere until so many americans arent hurting anymore.

Americans that are worried about will they be able to buy food next week for thier kids are consumed with that and absolutely not interested in special interest endeavors.

Oh and I do not disagree we have environmental problems and I found your post enlightening.

Chloe
11-12-2014, 01:49 PM
It's stuff like this that makes me wonder why you post such biased articles. How are we supposed to debate something with lies like "we have to support rivers and lakes" because our future depends on it? Silly.

how is it a lie to say that our future is bound to the life and health of our rivers? Our future is bound to the life and health of many natural resources on this planet, and rivers are certainly one them.

GrassrootsConservative
11-12-2014, 01:50 PM
how is it a lie to say that our future is bound to the life and health of our rivers? Our future is bound to the life and health of many natural resources on this planet, and rivers are certainly one them.

Explain this to me. I simply disagree. I could do without rivers. No problem.

Common Sense
11-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Fuck the rivers...I just want a good job and bottled water.

Chloe
11-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Fuck the rivers...I just want a good job and bottled water.

Don't get me started on bottled water.

Common Sense
11-12-2014, 01:56 PM

That's the way God wants water to be delivered to humans. Clearly rivers and water tables stand in the way of God and country.

GrassrootsConservative
11-12-2014, 02:35 PM
This isn't the religious section, CS.

Common Sense
11-12-2014, 02:41 PM
This isn't the religious section, CS.

Did I say it was?

GrassrootsConservative
11-12-2014, 03:05 PM
You're bringing up "god."

Nobody cares.

Alyosha
11-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Explain this to me. I simply disagree. I could do without rivers. No problem.

Are you joking with Chloe? This is a serious question.

Common Sense
11-12-2014, 04:09 PM

Nobody cares.

Then why are you addressing it? Don't you have a river to shit in?

nic34
11-12-2014, 04:14 PM

Nobody cares.

How could we have water bottles without god? He made the petroleum they're made from.

nic34
11-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Why the hell is Dam(nation) being censored? Stupid.

GrassrootsConservative
11-12-2014, 04:55 PM
Are you joking with Chloe? This is a serious question.

No. I really think I would be just fine without rivers. There's not a single one near me save the Platte half a hundred miles away. The oceans have more than enough water and sea critters to carry the planet through if the rivers were just gone one day.

/Edit: It might be inconvenient as hell, but we'd be fine.

GrassrootsConservative
11-12-2014, 04:55 PM
Double post, sorry.

Common Sense
11-12-2014, 04:59 PM
No. I really think I would be just fine without rivers. There's not a single one near me save the Platte half a hundred miles away. The oceans have more than enough water and sea critters to carry the planet through if the rivers were just gone one day.

Amazing post. I've rarely seen anything like it.

nic34
11-12-2014, 04:59 PM

Where do you think the oceans come from?

We'll see how long you last drinking sea water....

Common Sense
11-12-2014, 05:00 PM

It seems like he has been.

GrassrootsConservative
11-12-2014, 05:02 PM

The oceans have been here for thousands of years, nic, they didn't "come from" anywhere.

/Edit: I'm going to work. I hope you guys get this figured out before all the rivers dry up. :biglaugh:

Common Sense
11-12-2014, 05:08 PM
The oceans have been here for thousands of years, nic, they didn't "come from" anywhere.

/Edit: I'm going to work. I hope you guys get this figured out before all the rivers dry up. :biglaugh:

They just magically appeared one day about 6000 years ago.

Don't forget to paint that garage, btw...

nic34
11-12-2014, 05:12 PM

Millions of years grassy, millions.

And rivers replenish the oceans.

without freshwater to replenish the oceans they would eventually evaporate and become too saline for even the fish to survive.

http://water.usgs.gov/edu/watercyclefreshstorage.html

donttread
11-12-2014, 05:50 PM

There you go. You can't really waste water as it will flow back to where it came from largely purifying itself in the process. But you can move it out of its natural water table and hide it for a few thousand years

Chloe
11-12-2014, 08:26 PM
There you go. You can't really waste water as it will flow back to where it came from largely purifying itself in the process. But you can move it out of its natural water table and hide it for a few thousand years

My issue is less with the water inside of the bottle as it is with the bottle itself.

Common
11-12-2014, 11:05 PM
Corporate capitalist Americas greatest achievement. They convinced millions upon millions of americans TO BUY BOTTLED WATER

Alyosha
11-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Corporate capitalist Americas greatest achievement. They convinced millions upon millions of americans TO BUY BOTTLED WATER

Well as the Democratic consultant said, Americans are stupid.

Common
11-12-2014, 11:14 PM
Well as the Democratic consultant said, Americans are stupid.

I smirk everytime I hear a politician make any reference to americans being smart, thats a keyword for IM SCREWING YOU while im stroking you.

Captain Obvious
11-13-2014, 08:43 AM
Side note - the concrete in the Hoover Dam is still curing:

http://www.riverlakes.com/hoover_dam_info.htm