PDA

View Full Version : Struggle on the home front

Common
11-16-2014, 08:46 AM
Theres homeless vets everywhere, every state, every major city.
Im not going into a long diatribe, Im just going to say this is infuriating.
The richest country in the world has untold thousands of men and women who were willing to fight for our country in the streets like stray dogs.

With haunted memories and substance abuse problems, the struggle continues for some New York City veterans as they fight for a place to call homeThe city says there are now 1,645 homeless veterans, but advocates estimate the total number to be two or even three times as high
They trudge through the streets largely invisible — once having fought for this country, and now just fighting for a place to call home.
The luckiest among them have only haunted memories. The worst off have haunted minds, suffering from the kinds of mental illnesses that rob them of the ability to seek help.
They are the city’s homeless veterans.
Mayor de Blasio vowed last week to end homelessness among the veteran population by the end of 2015. It’s a bold pledge — one that experts say will be difficult to keep.
The number of homeless vets in New York is notoriously difficult to pin down. The city says there are now 1,645, down from 3,547 last year.
But some homeless advocates estimate the total number to be two or even three times as high.

“I can’t see the mayor ending homelessness among the veterans,” said Donnell Simon, an outreach case manager at non-profit shelter operator Samaritan Village. “There’s too many of them, and not enough affordable housing.”
The challenges are many. Simon said many older vets, frustrated by decades of empty promises, have lost faith in the system. Others are too proud to ask for help. Plus, many vets aren’t eligible for federal benefits because they don’t have honorable discharges or they served for less than 24 months after 1980.
“There’s a large chunk of veterans out there that I’m seeing that are coming to us who basically have to compete for the same housing resources as everyone else who is homeless,” said Christina Narine, a program director at Goddard Riverside Community Center.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/struggle-homefront-city-veterans-article-1.2012421

Peter1469
11-16-2014, 08:51 AM
A lot of these people have mental illness which makes the problem much worse as they either don't want or can't follow the rules of homeless shelters.

Matty
11-16-2014, 08:52 AM
18 trillion in debt. Resources diverted to illegals. Jobs go to illegals. He will make that worse in a few days. It is who you elected. Deal with it.

PolWatch
11-16-2014, 08:54 AM
maybe they will get lucky & someone will tell them 'thank you' for their service....sorry if I sound bitchy on the subject but I think we treat our Vets like crap. We praise them & their service when we need them, but let them need help and suddenly they are no longer honored Vets who served their country, they are a homeless bum problem.

PolWatch
11-16-2014, 08:56 AM
18 trillion in debt. Resources diverted to illegals. Jobs go to illegals. He will make that worse in a few days. It is who you elected. Deal with it.

good luck getting that kite off the ground...this situation is not new...its been going on for more than 8 years

Matty
11-16-2014, 09:01 AM

Common
11-16-2014, 09:24 AM
Peter I fully understand the mental illness and substance issues. I saw it first hand as cop for decades.
I cant tell you how many vets ive put in my patrol car "BACK THEN" cant do it today and drove them to the va and had someone sign them up for medical and get them counseling and a disablitly check so they could eat. Another words give the people who were willing to fight for us all a chance.

This country is rich enough for ANYTHING they want pipelines, corporate welfare, subsidies. Hundreds of billions in taxpayer "GIFTS" to super rich banks and corporations in bailouts and we have HOMELESS veterans ? with no active organized vehicle to get them the help they need. Bah im going to stop now

exotix
11-16-2014, 09:27 AM
"What we need is another Bush ... I recommend my brudder Jebby"

http://i57.tinypic.com/6ifs5x.jpg

Common Sense
11-16-2014, 09:29 AM
There are programs and the VA has vowed to end the problem by the end of 2015 (I don't see how that's possible). Clearly the programs effectiveness is in question.

http://www.va.gov/homeless/

That being said, it's difficult to convince someone with mental illness to come in from the cold.

Shame on those who try to turn this into a partisan issue. But those kinds of people often like to use the misery of others for their political advantage. Fuck them.

Common
11-16-2014, 09:39 AM

Garbage, how about bullshit WARS that cost us trillions how about subsidies for rich oil pigs and other corporate pigs in the hundreds of billions. How about tax cuts for the pigs that benefited the most from our veterans sacrfices.

exotix
11-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Psychobabble.

Common Sense
11-16-2014, 09:51 AM
Psychobabble.

It think it's either psycho or babble.

Matty
11-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Garbage, how about bull$#@! WARS that cost us trillions how about subsidies for rich oil pigs and other corporate pigs in the hundreds of billions. How about tax cuts for the pigs that benefited the most from our veterans sacrfices.
Yes, how about all that? Then add millions of illegals, the cost, and the jobs. Our resources are finite. That is why we have 18 trillion In debt!

The Xl
11-16-2014, 10:09 AM
It's pretty incredible that we spend trillions on wars, but can't spend a fraction of that to help our vets.

The government isn't your friend, folks, and doesn't act in your interests unless you're at the top of the economic food chain.

PolWatch
11-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Trying to pretend this is a recent problem is using it for partisan purposes. The abuse of Vets has been an issue that I know since Viet Nam. I suspect it existed prior to that but was never admitted to or discussed. They just called it shell shock & considered the sufferers to be lazy or crazy or both. It has flourished under every administration, no matter what letter they had by their name. Its not psychobabble...its partisan babble when anyone tries to place blame on one person or one party or one administration.