PDA

View Full Version : House to examine plan for United Nations to regulate the Internet

Trinnity
05-28-2012, 01:00 PM
House to examine plan for United Nations to regulate the Internet (http://House to examine plan for United Nations to regulate the Internet<br />)
(http://House to examine plan for United Nations to regulate the Internet<br />)
(excerpted)
House lawmakers will consider an international proposal next week to give the United Nations more control over the Internet.

[T]the measure would expose the Internet to “top-down regulation where it's really the governments that are at the table, but the rest of the stakeholders aren't.
Yet the proposal could come up for a vote at a UN conference in Dubai in December.

The Internet is currently governed under a “multi-stakeholder” approach that gives power to a host of nonprofits, rather than governments.
http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/229653-house-to-examine-plan-to-let-un-regulate-internet

PLEASE DO read the entire article. This is alarming.
Can you imagine the internet controlled by the UN which includes China; China which heavily censors the net?
And what about the effects on business worldwide???

Contact your US Senator's office and House rep's too. Voice your opposition to this (yet another) attempt to control you by the UN and it's more oppressive members.

Conley
05-28-2012, 01:17 PM
The link is not working for me.

The excerpt is very disturbing. I think with time the internet will become more and more tightly regulated by our government and in effect controlling what information we have access to as law abiding citizens. There was PIPA, SOPA, and now something even more troubling in the works.

Trinnity
05-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Yeah, it wouldn't work for me either.
I'll try again.

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/229653-house-to-examine-plan-to-let-un-regulate-internetO

Okay, that works. Added it to the OP as well.
Don't know what happened. Sorry.

Conley
05-28-2012, 01:26 PM
I don't understand why it's coming up for a House vote if everyone is against it - it sounds very unpopular on both sides of the aisle according to the article. Can the UN do this without our Congress approving it?

MMC
05-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Isn't someone working on the Internet II or some Underground deal?

Goldie Locks
05-28-2012, 04:54 PM
WTF else are we going to turn over to the UN??? This is crazy talk.

Trinnity
05-28-2012, 05:59 PM
I don't understand why it's coming up for a House vote if everyone is against it - it sounds very unpopular on both sides of the aisle according to the article. Can the UN do this without our Congress approving it?I don't know. We are only ONE NATION in the UN.
Know what I mean???

Conley
05-28-2012, 06:03 PM
I don't know. We are only ONE NATION in the UN.
Know what I mean???

True, but it was a primarily U.S. invention and our country still controls much of it.

The origins of the Internet reach back to research of the 1960s, commissioned by the United States government in collaboration with private commercial interests to build robust, fault-tolerant, and distributed computer networks. The funding of a new U.S. backbone by the National Science Foundation in the 1980s, as well as private funding for other commercial backbones, led to worldwide participation in the development of new networking technologies, and the merger of many networks. The commercialization of what was by the 1990s an international network resulted in its popularization and incorporation into virtually every aspect of modern human life. As of 2011, more than 2.2 billion people – nearly a third of Earth's population — use the services of the Internet.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet

Trinnity
05-28-2012, 06:41 PM
Well, I don't think the House will approve it.

wingrider
05-29-2012, 12:52 AM
it would be the straw that broke the camels back if the house approves this measure.. they can and will be voted out of office and the new batches first priority will be to repeal this piece of garbage.. Americans are getting pretty fed up with the incursions into our privacy. and the feds telling FREE people what they can and cannot do..

Trinnity
05-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Heard that! We have to stand up and take our liberty and country back from the politicians and bureaucrats who are functioning against our will and our best interests. Both parties. That's why I like the Tea Party. And the movement they started is most assuredly NOT going away.

coolwalker
05-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Any congressman who votes for this insane bill should not be re-elected, ever again. Whoever introduced it should be horsewhipped, stripped and whipped and run naked through the tall weeds!

Goldie Locks
05-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Any congressman who votes for this insane bill should not be re-elected, ever again. Whoever introduced it should be horsewhipped, stripped and whipped and run naked through the tall weeds!

I'd help with that.

wingrider
05-30-2012, 05:52 PM
I'd help with that. count me in also.. by the way I got the tar, feathers and the rail