PDA

View Full Version : Bite me

Captain Obvious
11-17-2014, 05:25 PM
http://www.9news.com/longform/news/investigations/2014/11/10/dog-breeds-bites-front-range/18811551/

Based on 6,500 reported dog bites between 2012 and 2013, the top five biting breeds* in the Denver area are:

Labs
German Shepherds
Pit Bulls
Chihuahuas
Bulldogs

del
11-17-2014, 05:25 PM
denver bites

Common Sense
11-17-2014, 05:29 PM
The poodle bites!
(come on, frenchie)
The poodle chews it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5IZobXdJyE

PolWatch
11-17-2014, 05:43 PM
my chihuahua is 6 lbs of pure mean....take yer shoe & she will rip your toe off (the little toe only...the others are too big)

Cigar
11-17-2014, 05:48 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFghysnEEuETQQE2BGwhJ4laTW0SV5l 06VM0_VDq9zFTG4vmG9IA

Dr. Who
11-17-2014, 05:57 PM
http://www.9news.com/longform/news/investigations/2014/11/10/dog-breeds-bites-front-range/18811551/
The stats would be more informative if they were calculated based on % of dog population. I suspect that with labs, given their popularity, the number of bites per capita so to speak would be fairly low. It's my experience that dogs that bite do so because of poor socialization or abuse. Furthermore, even the most laid back socialized dog may bite if tied. Tethering dogs leaves them feeling vulnerable because they cannot escape an attack, so they may display aggression if anyone approaches them.

Dr. Who
11-17-2014, 05:59 PM
my chihuahua is 6 lbs of pure mean....take yer shoe & she will rip your toe off (the little toe only...the others are too big)
Chihuahuas have body dysmorphia - they think that they are much larger than they are. Fortunately for them, in the dog world the best defense is a good offense.

Captain Obvious
11-17-2014, 05:59 PM
The stats would be more informative if they were calculated based on % of dog population. I suspect that with labs, given their popularity, the number of bites per capita so to speak would be fairly low. It's my experience that dogs that bite do so because of poor socialization or abuse. Furthermore, even the most laid back socialized dog may bite if tied. Tethering dogs leaves them feeling vulnerable because they cannot escape an attack, so they may display aggression if anyone approaches them.

They disclaim exactly that in the text of the article:

Registration data from jurisdictions in the Front Range show that Labs are the most common breed of dogs.

Dr. Who
11-17-2014, 06:07 PM
They disclaim exactly that in the text of the article:
There are many hybrid labs that look substantially like labs, but actually have other breed traits. Given their popularity lab crosses are also very common. I'm sure that some of the bite incidents include "mostly lab" bites as well. Furthermore, breed popularity also results in bad breeding, which may also account for some of the negative stats with labs. At the end of the day however, it's a good thing that for their size, labs have relatively small teeth and don't have the jaw strength of say the German Shepherd.

Common Sense
11-17-2014, 06:11 PM
There are many hybrid labs that look substantially like labs, but actually have other breed traits. Given their popularity lab crosses are also very common. I'm sure that some of the bite incidents include "mostly lab" bites as well. Furthermore, breed popularity also results in bad breeding, which may also account for some of the negative stats with labs. At the end of the day however, it's a good thing that for their size, labs have relatively small teeth and don't have the jaw strength of say the German Shepherd.

My dog looks like a lab...but he's probably Rottweiler and Chow. At around 100lbs I don't trust him around strangers and kids. He hasn't bitten anyone...but he's made a few people shit their pants.

del
11-17-2014, 06:12 PM
i have a poodle :)

Dr. Who
11-17-2014, 06:18 PM
My dog looks like a lab...but he's probably Rottweiler and Chow. At around 100lbs I don't trust him around strangers and kids. He hasn't bitten anyone...but he's made a few people $#@! their pants.
It's funny how many mutts look like labs, but aren't. Similarly, there are many dogs that look like pit bulls that have zero pit bull bloodlines.

Dr. Who
11-17-2014, 06:22 PM
i have a poodle :)
They bite. Well, not so much the standard poodle, but the miniature and the toy can be pretty snarky. I have a dog breed book - dogs with a propensity for biting have a little image of teeth barred next to the picture - there is one next to the poodle, although I forget whether that includes the standard poodle. The standard poodles I've known are big goofy dogs and not inclined to aggression.

Captain Obvious
11-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Poodles shit like fucking horses too.

del
11-17-2014, 06:54 PM
They bite. Well, not so much the standard poodle, but the miniature and the toy can be pretty snarky. I have a dog breed book - dogs with a propensity for biting have a little image of teeth barred next to the picture - there is one next to the poodle, although I forget whether that includes the standard poodle. The standard poodles I've known are big goofy dogs and not inclined to aggression.

i've had toys, minis and standards-toys bite but not the other two in my experience

i think little dogs are just scared all the time

Mister D
11-17-2014, 06:57 PM
i've had toys, minis and standards-toys bite but not the other two in my experience

They sure are loud though.

Dr. Who
11-17-2014, 06:57 PM

TBH, I think many of the poodle dog bite incidents involve children who tend to maul the dogs. The small ones tend not to have the kind of patience that the bigger dogs have. As you noted, they also suffer from small dog anxiety.

Dr. Who
11-17-2014, 06:58 PM
Offensive strategy.

Mister D
11-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Offensive strategy.

I was thinking that might be some kind of defensive strategy.

del
11-17-2014, 07:01 PM

some are, some aren't

standards are pretty quiet- toys are yappy and minis are somewhere in between

my current one is a mini, but he's getting old (17) and tends to just stare off into space now lol

Paperback Writer
11-17-2014, 07:03 PM
My grans raises blue merle collies. Good with kids and smaller dogs.

http://www.completedogsguide.com/images/dog-breeds/largepic/Rough-Coillie13.jpg

Dr. Who
11-17-2014, 07:04 PM
I was thinking that might be some kind of defensive strategy.
Among dogs, making out like you are a psycho crazy animal is an effective strategy. Dogs are easy to psych out, hence the little dogs bark like lunatics, which wards off bigger dogs and other animals with similar psychologies. May not be effective with humans. It's also a warning system between dogs - alerting to the presence of danger. Nevertheless, dogs are slaves to attitude. That's why dogs tend to play second fiddle to cats in a household. The cats have more attitude.

The Xl
11-17-2014, 07:08 PM
My Siberian Husky will bare the meanest face and growl if she doesn't want you to bother with her, likes she's going to kill you, but she's soft as hell. I love trolling her by overly petting her while she pulls that charade. She eventually just says fuck it and gives up, lol.

Dr. Who
11-17-2014, 07:13 PM
My Siberian Husky will bare the meanest face and growl if she doesn't want you to bother with her, likes she's going to kill you, but she's soft as hell. I love trolling her by overly petting her while she pulls that charade. She eventually just says $#@! it and gives up, lol.
My Shiba (also a spitz) will also make the evil face when it comes to cutting his claws, but he won't bite. He'll put his mouth over your hand and growl, but his teeth don't touch you. He never bites.

Polecat
11-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Dalmatians held the record for a long time on being the most likely to bite.

Dr. Who
11-17-2014, 07:28 PM
They are not recommended for children.

PolWatch
11-17-2014, 08:09 PM
When the movie, 1001 Dalmatians first came out, lots of people bought the breed for their children. Not a good idea...also, they have a tendency to deafness. Unsavory breeders didn't always tell people they were getting a deaf dog.

sachem
11-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Poodles shit like fucking horses too.Thanks for sharing.

Mister D
11-17-2014, 09:02 PM

Don't they have genetic issues?

PolWatch
11-17-2014, 09:13 PM
Don't they have genetic issues?

yes...deafness is very common

Captain Obvious
11-17-2014, 09:20 PM
yes...deafness is very common

wut...

PolWatch
11-17-2014, 09:24 PM
wut...

deafness in Dalmatians...dogs, capt, dogs...keep up or we're just gonna leave ya on the side of the road :rollseyes: