PDA

View Full Version : Selective Immigration?

PolWatch
11-20-2014, 11:25 AM
With all the discussion about illegals in our country and the need to enforce our existing laws, why do we ignore one group completely? There is a major city in our nation that has so many immigrants (some legal, some not) that it is almost impossible to get a job without speaking Spanish. Where? not Texas or Arizona, where those borders get so much attention, but Miami. Why do we not look at the special status the Cubans receive?

'Cuban illegals can show up anywhere on land in the U.S. and immediately be allowed to enter the country. They get a work permit, social security card, public assistance for food and accommodations, medicare if eligible or medicaid. They are not, as refugees are, put in jail until their case is decided, but are immediately paroled, and after a year, can apply for permanent residency ( green card) and citizenship after 5 years. Children can go to school without fear of arrest, and college age children can enter the universities or armed forces without having to spend two years in a college or the military.'

http://politicalanalysis2011.blogspot.com/2011/02/preferential-treatment-of-cuban.html

Cigar
11-20-2014, 11:26 AM
I'll give you one Guess :laugh:

Cigar
11-20-2014, 11:41 AM
ALL Republican Presidents Since Eisenhowerhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/B25UBLdCYAAKyxy.png

PolWatch
11-20-2014, 11:44 AM
The response to the question about the special status of Cubans is overwhelming...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWyzwo1xg0

Venus
11-20-2014, 11:47 AM
ALL Republican Presidents Since Eisenhower

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B25UBLdCYAAKyxy.png

Do you have anything to back this up?

I mean...besides a picture.

Mac-7
11-20-2014, 11:47 AM
The response to the question about the special status of Cubans is overwhelming...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWyzwo1xg0

Its a boring topic.

special treatment for Cubans dates back to Kennedy and the Bay of Pigs invasion.

PolWatch
11-20-2014, 12:05 PM
I'm sure this has nothing to do with it?

'Cubans in the U.S. have long identified with or leaned toward the Republican Party, even as Hispanics overall have tilted Democrat.'

I wonder if a change in voting patterns will see Cubans being included as just illegals & not special status?

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/06/24/after-decades-of-gop-support-cubans-shifting-toward-the-democratic-party/

Mac-7
11-20-2014, 12:10 PM
I'm sure this has nothing to do with it?

'Cubans in the U.S. have long identified with or leaned toward the Republican Party, even as Hispanics overall have tilted Democrat.'

I wonder if a change in voting patterns will see Cubans being included as just illegals & not special status?

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/06/24/after-decades-of-gop-support-cubans-shifting-toward-the-democratic-party/

When were Cubans given special status and by who?

i don't think the repubs had much to do with it.

nic34
11-20-2014, 12:11 PM

http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/executive-grants-temporary-immigration-relief-1956-present

Paperback Writer
11-20-2014, 12:11 PM
This is because you've created legislation that establishes Cuba as a country deserving of refugee status protections. The same is true for the Sudanese, as well.

I'm not sure your point (?). The handful of Cubans is negligible against the overwhelming majority of illegal entries coming from countries of economic disparity but politically stable governments.

Green Arrow
11-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Cubans are fleeing "communism," that's one reason Republicans tend to be more lax-sounding about immigration of Cubans than Mexicans. Cubans also tend to vote Republican.

Of course, this is all political theatre. When Republicans control the whole kitten caboodle, they aren't any stronger on any immigration than the Democrats. The businesses that bankroll both parties want that cheap labor.

Green Arrow
11-20-2014, 12:17 PM

How did Nixon use executive action to fix immigration in 1959-1972, when he didn't take office until 1969? How did Reagan do it in the 1970s when he didn't take office until 1981?

Paperback Writer
11-20-2014, 12:17 PM
The Sudanese will also get political asylum in the States or those who claim religious persecution. It's not as simple as all that.

This project of Cuban's status comparatively is to present one Spanish speaking immigrant as though they were the next. When Cubans immigrate, they do so legally. Those who have entered the United States illegally are people who choose to break the law.

Those who feel bad for them and their children seem to neglect that these are people who've set a precedence of behavior that the law is meaningless to them. So I ask again, which creates a more stable nation, the import of people willing to adhere to your customs and laws or those who have already proven they give fuck all about them?

Venus
11-20-2014, 12:23 PM
http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/executive-grants-temporary-immigration-relief-1956-present

Thanks nic but this doesn't exactly address cigar's picture.

Venus
11-20-2014, 12:24 PM

Shouldn't this have a link?

PolWatch
11-20-2014, 12:28 PM
The Sudanese will also get political asylum in the States or those who claim religious persecution. It's not as simple as all that.

This project of Cuban's status comparatively is to present one Spanish speaking immigrant as though they were the next. When Cubans immigrate, they do so legally. Those who have entered the United States illegally are people who choose to break the law.

Those who feel bad for them and their children seem to neglect that these are people who've set a precedence of behavior that the law is meaningless to them. So I ask again, which creates a more stable nation, the import of people willing to adhere to your customs and laws or those who have already proven they give fuck all about them?

I don't think Cubans are noted for blending...which is why so many jobs in Miami require Spanish. I understood the special 'escaping from communism' thinking...but aren't a lot of the other illegals coming from areas that are unpleasant politically also?

I have seen lots of people posting about ILLEGAL and receiving of unearned benefits as a (sensible to me) argument. We have a group of immigrants (some illegal) who are getting the same benefits, but they are not included in the discussion...at all. It appears to be similar to the voter ID issue...while the greatest incidence of fraud is proven to be absentee voting (largely repub, military voters), that is the one type of voter that no one is interested in requiring new identification laws for. Selective outrage is the issue...imho

Alyosha
11-20-2014, 12:31 PM
The church that sponsored us coming to the US spent over $6k back then to do so, and my father came after my mother, brother, and I. We could have snuck in through Canada as some did, but we went the proper channels.

While in theory I am an open border person, we don't have open borders. The world does not have open borders anymore and so until that changes (and I hope it does) I am somewhat resentful that my family jumped through hoops to get here and people want to give amnesty to those who didn't bother to care about the law.

That's not really fair to my parents or the people who sponsored us.

Alyosha
11-20-2014, 12:34 PM
I don't think Cubans are noted for blending...which is why so many jobs in Miami require Spanish. I understood the special 'escaping from communism' thinking...but aren't a lot of the other illegals coming from areas that are unpleasant politically also?

There is a reason retirees from the US move to Mexico. It's not the politically unpleasant.

I have seen lots of people posting about ILLEGAL and receiving of unearned benefits as a (sensible to me) argument. We have a group of immigrants (some illegal) who are getting the same benefits, but they are not included in the discussion...at all. It appears to be similar to the voter ID issue...while the greatest incidence of fraud is proven to be absentee voting (largely repub, military voters), that is the one type of voter that no one is interested in requiring new identification laws for. Selective outrage is the issue...imho

I disagree. The elephant in the room of liberal leaning people like you and I that we don't want to discuss because honestly we're nice people is still the fact that it's impractical and fiscally irresponsible to give amnesty to millions of people and that is honestly why we shouldn't do it. There are consequences to breaking the law and our illegals aren't paying for it in prison, they're just living in shadows. Ask anyone on Riker's Island if they'd rather be in prison or living in an underground economy and going to movies.

Illegals do not have it bad in the US at all. I've represented more than my fair share of them who got busted for pot. They have jobs, places to live, and end up having a lot of fun in the US.

Mister D
11-20-2014, 12:44 PM

Who leaves them out of the discussion?

momsapplepie
11-20-2014, 12:45 PM

Reagna and both Bushs acted with congress and signed acts voted in by congress. As for the others, I have researched it that far back, but the post is nothing but Obama talking points.

Howey
11-20-2014, 12:47 PM
With all the discussion about illegals in our country and the need to enforce our existing laws, why do we ignore one group completely? There is a major city in our nation that has so many immigrants (some legal, some not) that it is almost impossible to get a job without speaking Spanish. Where? not Texas or Arizona, where those borders get so much attention, but Miami. Why do we not look at the special status the Cubans receive?

'Cuban illegals can show up anywhere on land in the U.S. and immediately be allowed to enter the country. They get a work permit, social security card, public assistance for food and accommodations, medicare if eligible or medicaid. They are not, as refugees are, put in jail until their case is decided, but are immediately paroled, and after a year, can apply for permanent residency ( green card) and citizenship after 5 years. Children can go to school without fear of arrest, and college age children can enter the universities or armed forces without having to spend two years in a college or the military.'

http://politicalanalysis2011.blogspot.com/2011/02/preferential-treatment-of-cuban.html

Because they vote Republican.

Green Arrow
11-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Shouldn't this have a link?

It names the source in the bottom right corner. Otherwise, yes.

Venus
11-20-2014, 12:49 PM
It names the source in the bottom right corner. Otherwise, yes.

Thanks! Missed it.

PolWatch
11-20-2014, 12:51 PM
There is a reason retirees from the US move to Mexico. It's not the politically unpleasant.

I disagree. The elephant in the room of liberal leaning people like you and I that we don't want to discuss because honestly we're nice people is still the fact that it's impractical and fiscally irresponsible to give amnesty to millions of people and that is honestly why we shouldn't do it. There are consequences to breaking the law and our illegals aren't paying for it in prison, they're just living in shadows. Ask anyone on Riker's Island if they'd rather be in prison or living in an underground economy and going to movies.

Illegals do not have it bad in the US at all. I've represented more than my fair share of them who got busted for pot. They have jobs, places to live, and end up having a lot of fun in the US.

I'm not in favor of allowing illegals to pour across the borders unchecked...in spite of what some may think. I'm a law-fearing person and illegal still means something to me. I question special treatment for some while talking enforcement for others. I have the copies of naturalization papers for some of my family...so I'm not a fan of any who by-pass the system....while others wait.

Mister D
11-20-2014, 12:58 PM
I'm not in favor of allowing illegals to pour across the borders unchecked...in spite of what some may think. I'm a law-fearing person and illegal still means something to me. I question special treatment for some while talking enforcement for others. I have the copies of naturalization papers for some of my family...so I'm not a fan of any who by-pass the system....while others wait.

I'm not in favor of Cubans doing as they please. In fact, I'm not aware of anyone who is. Are you?

Paperback Writer
11-20-2014, 12:59 PM

It's enforcement for others because they didn't use legal channels. Amnesty for political refugees is by UN concession and international law and treaty. That is a legal action that Cubans take.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say they bypass the system. The system is a legal one that fast tracks those whose countries have been established through international means as countries where there is political persecution.

Can you explain why you believe Cubans or Somalis or those from Iran would be "illegal" or somehow "outside the system" when it is law that allows it?

PolWatch
11-20-2014, 01:06 PM
I'm not explaining well...am I? They have a special system in place which means they are not by-passing the system that everyone else has to follow. Special status. The problems they face in their country are more serious and therefore they are entitled to that special status. I think it is hypocrisy. We (USA) don't like Castro and because he took our $$$ to overthrow Batista et al, and then went commie, we will do anything/everything we can to thwart him. We are not that angry at any other country, so their immigrants don't get the same special status. The voting pattern of legal Cubans is just an added bonus.

Mister D
11-20-2014, 01:10 PM
I'm not explaining well...am I? They have a special system in place which means they are not by-passing the system that everyone else has to follow. Special status. The problems they face in their country are more serious and therefore they are entitled to that special status. I think it is hypocrisy. We (USA) don't like Castro and because he took our $$$ to overthrow Batista et al, and then went commie, we will do anything/everything we can to thwart him. We are not that angry at any other country, so their immigrants don't get the same special status. The voting pattern of legal Cubans is just an added bonus.

Your problem appears to be with refugee status which also applies to, for example, all the Somalis in Minneapolis. Why Africans settle in MN is anyone's guess but I digress. The charge of hypocrisy falls flat.

PolWatch
11-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Your problem appears to be with refugee status which also applies to, for example, all the Somalis in Minneapolis. Why Africans settle in MN is anyone's guess but I digress. The charge of hypocrisy falls flat.

It does if we all agree that the only 2 nations in the world with horrible conditions are Cuba & Somali....

I don't know why anyone would want to settle in Minn....

Paperback Writer
11-20-2014, 01:13 PM

No you are explaining your understanding of the system quite well. I'm explaining to you that your understanding is not fully realised as you seem to believe that Cubans maintain some special status that other nations deemed areas of political concern do not. All political refugees are the same. Someone could have hopped on a plane from Rwanda during the massacre and done exactly as you say Cubans do.

Political asylum is neither new nor is it unique to one country. It was established after World War II that there must be some immediate means for those who face death for politics or religion to escape it. Cuba is a country that deals quite harshly with political dissent, and while I agree that Batista was also a full on twatter, the same level of political cruelty occurred to dissidents under Che and Castro as occurred under Batista.

Mexicans are escaping poverty as are the Albanians who show up on our doorstep. That's been established by the UN as not grounds for political refugee status, right or wrong.

Professor Peabody
11-20-2014, 01:17 PM

No he doesn't. NONE of the executive orders passed by those Presidents circumvented immigration laws that existed at the time. What Obama's doing is a violation of the Constitution.

Article Two of the United States Constitution

Section 3: Presidential responsibilities

Clause 5: Caring for the faithful execution of the law

The President must "take care that the laws be faithfully executed."[19] This clause in the Constitution imposes a duty on the President to take due care while executing laws and is called the Take Care Clause,[20] also known as the Faithful Execution Clause[21] or Faithfully Executed Clause.[22] This clause is meant to ensure that a law is faithfully executed by the President,[20] even if he disagrees with the purpose of that law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_Two_of_the_United_States_Constitution#Clau se_5:_Caring_for_the_faithful_execution_of_the_law

United States nationality law

Article I, section 8, clause 4 of the United States Constitution expressly gives the United States Congress the power to establish a uniform rule of naturalization.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_nationality_law#Naturalization

He's making sure Hillary will NOT be President in 2016.

Mister D
11-20-2014, 01:17 PM
It does if we all agree that the only 2 nations in the world with horrible conditions are Cuba & Somali....

I don't know why anyone would want to settle in Minn....

We don't. See PBW's comment. It applies to a host of situations.

To the Nordic settlers it must have felt like home.

PolWatch
11-20-2014, 01:19 PM
I wonder what the situation would be if fleeing from the violence of the drug cartels was considered as a factor. Would this qualify on the same level as political repression? Dead & tortured is dead & tortured.

Mister D
11-20-2014, 01:22 PM
I wonder what the situation would be if fleeing from the violence of the drug cartels was considered as a factor. Would this qualify on the same level as political repression? Dead & tortured is dead & tortured.

I'm sure there are instances where that could be a plausible claim. With regard to the vast majority of Latin American migrants it's not.

Paperback Writer
11-20-2014, 01:25 PM

So the UK should accept Americans fleeing Detroit and Chicago? Egads, I hope that never happens. :shocked:

PolWatch
11-20-2014, 01:27 PM
So the UK should accept Americans fleeing Detroit and Chicago? Egads, I hope that never happens. :shocked:

not to worry..I'll smuggle ya into Alabama...you'll be safe as long as you don't say a word!

Mister D
11-20-2014, 01:30 PM

You still have the Falklands, right? You can put them there.

PolWatch
11-20-2014, 01:31 PM
good idea..haven't we already invaded there or sumthin?

Paperback Writer
11-20-2014, 01:32 PM
good idea..haven't we already invaded there or sumthin?

It was a strategic sheep operation.

PolWatch
11-20-2014, 01:34 PM
baa, baa black sheep, have you any wool? ah, for the good ole days...

Cigar
11-20-2014, 01:57 PM
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/imgs/2014/141120-the-republican-dilemma-on-immigration.jpg

Mac-7
11-20-2014, 02:46 PM
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/imgs/2014/141120-the-republican-dilemma-on-immigration.jpg

obama is helping millions of illegal aliens but hurting millions of Americans.

Bo-4
11-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Ahem.. they were Republicans AND they were white. ;)

Cigar
11-20-2014, 03:19 PM

Yea ... a Computer and how to use it.

Cigar
11-20-2014, 03:19 PM

I'm sorry this will be hurting you. :grin: Really I am. :tongue:

Bob
11-20-2014, 03:23 PM

I believe that at the time this started, a lot of Americans raised the roof and slammed it as well.

Funny how when I was at Miami, I can't recall seeing Cubans. I know they live there.

Bob
11-20-2014, 03:25 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Mac-7 http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=846395#post846395)

I'm sorry this will be hurting you. :grin: Really I am. :tongue:

You work, but the black unemployment rate is very high.

I suspect the hard working illegals unemployment rate is far less. So the hurt is on the blacks.