PDA

View Full Version : Huge Ancient Civilization’s Collapse Explained

wingrider
05-30-2012, 01:17 AM
"Until now, speculations abounded about the links between this mysterious ancient culture and its life-giving mighty rivers," Giosan said. Now Giosan and his colleagues have reconstructed the landscape of the plain and rivers where this long-forgotten civilization (http://www.livescience.com/10340-lost-civilization-existed-beneath-persian-gulf.html)developed. Their findings now shed light on the enigmatic fate of this culture.
"Our research provides one of the clearest examples of climate change leading to the collapse of an entire civilization (http://www.livescience.com/18624-collapse-mayan-civilization-climate-change.html)," Giosan said. [How Weather Changed History (http://www.livescience.com/11339-weather-changed-history.html)]

http://news.yahoo.com/huge-ancient-civilization-collapse-explained-123449804.html

interesting article but what caused the AGW 4000 years ago that caused this civilization to collapse, ? I don't believe fossil fuels were the culprit.

RollingWave
05-30-2012, 06:07 AM
Of course, that natural climate change will happen is no reason to rule out the possibility of human influenced climate change... especially if said possibility might be migitated within reasonable means....

wingrider
05-30-2012, 06:34 AM
here is the thing though.. they say Man is causing global change because of the use of fossil fuels, yet here we have historical of gloabal change when man wasn't using oil for anything. seems rather strange doesn't it?

Mainecoons
05-30-2012, 06:34 AM
It was all those sport ute chariots and farting cows what did them in! :grin:

MMC
05-30-2012, 07:43 AM
"Antiquity knew about Egypt and Mesopotamia, but the Indus civilization, which was bigger than these two, was completely forgotten until the 1920s," said researcher Liviu Giosan, a geologist at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Massachusetts. "There are still many things we don't know about them.....snip~

Many many things we do not know about them. As more ruins keep on being discovered. Now they have found a site that would predate anything out of Mesopotamia and Egypt. Moreover they already know about the Cities under the Indian Ocean. Which they will be sending some submersibles down there to take a look at things.

RollingWave
05-30-2012, 08:23 AM
here is the thing though.. they say Man is causing global change because of the use of fossil fuels, yet here we have historical of gloabal change when man wasn't using oil for anything. seems rather strange doesn't it?

Come on wing, that global climate change happened without fossile fuel does not mean that fossile fuel does not at least potentially have an effect on climate, that is like arguing that because climate change can happen without a meteroid hitting the earth, thus we can conclude that metorids hitting the earth does not have an impact on the earth's climate, which is obvious a pretty bad argument.

Those are really seperated question, you don't need to use the 4000 year + example to see that climate change was happening before, just look at the ice age, or that during the Dinosaur age most places is hotter than the tropics today. of course during the dinosaur age the continents was lineup completely differently than today.

wingrider
05-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Come on wing, that global climate change happened without fossile fuel does not mean that fossile fuel does not at least potentially have an effect on climate, that is like arguing that because climate change can happen without a meteroid hitting the earth, thus we can conclude that metorids hitting the earth does not have an impact on the earth's climate, which is obvious a pretty bad argument.

Those are really seperated question, you don't need to use the 4000 year + example to see that climate change was happening before, just look at the ice age, or that during the Dinosaur age most places is hotter than the tropics today. of course during the dinosaur age the continents was lineup completely differently than today. true as far as this goes.. but I just love playing devils advocate on the theory of man made global warming.. the last that I have heard man is contributing about 3 percent of the tol difference in the change,, where is the other 97 percent coming from..?

KSigMason
05-30-2012, 08:31 AM
Everybody knows it was the caveman with this mammoth-mobile and all of their methane exhaust that caused global warming in the pre-historic days.

wingrider
05-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Everybody knows it was the caveman with this mammoth-mobile and all of their methane exhaust that caused global warming in the pre-historic days. I just love a good sense of humor..

Goldie Locks
05-30-2012, 08:37 AM
We have had several ice ages and then warming, so evidently warming and cooling occur naturally without fossil fuels.

KSigMason
05-30-2012, 08:41 AM
We have had several ice ages and then warming, so evidently warming and cooling occur naturally without fossil fuels.
That can't be true. If I've learned anything from the liberal indoctrination centers and media is that man is the cause of all the world's problems. [/sarc]

Goldie Locks
05-30-2012, 08:42 AM
That can't be true. If I've learned anything from the liberal indoctrination centers and media is that man is the cause of all the world's problems. [/sarc]

Yes, you have learned well and especially the white European male...;)

MMC
05-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Yes, you have learned well and especially the white European male...;)

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4525934052245999&pid=1.1

Da.....what is so special about them tovarich? <<<<< Said in heavy Russian Accent. :laugh:

Viv
05-30-2012, 10:00 AM
It was all those sport ute chariots and farting cows what did them in! :grin:

Everybody knows it was the caveman with this mammoth-mobile and all of their methane exhaust that caused global warming in the pre-historic days.

I read an article last week theorising that the ice floes are releasing methane as they melt.

Here is the BBC version of that:

Scientists have identified thousands of sites in the Arctic where methane that has been stored for many millennia is bubbling into the atmosphere.
The methane has been trapped by ice, but is able to escape as the ice melts.
Writing in the journal Nature Geoscience, the researchers say this ancient gas could have a significant impact on climate change.
Methane is the second most important greenhouse gas after CO2 and levels are rising after a few years of stability.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18120093

RollingWave
05-30-2012, 11:07 AM
true as far as this goes.. but I just love playing devils advocate on the theory of man made global warming.. the last that I have heard man is contributing about 3 percent of the tol difference in the change,, where is the other 97 percent coming from..?

Oh I agree that the climatist probably overplayed their cards given what we know today (which isn't nearly enough, climate makeup is a highly complicated issue with a large variety of factors... or our weathermen would actually be able to ... you know... predict weathers :grin:) but it's almost certainly a worthy scientifict topic to take very seriously, since the consequence is no less than the possible destruction of man kind.

coolwalker
05-30-2012, 03:07 PM

If the history of the world was placed on a 24 hour clock, the time man has been here is apx 1 second. The amount of time fosil fuel has been used is 1/1000th of a second. We are not causing this issue.