PDA

View Full Version : NOT a Fox News Story - Black Residents Standing Guard At White-Owned Conoco Store

Cigar
11-26-2014, 07:48 PM
Since looting first erupted following the August police shooting of black teenager Michael Brown, nearly all the businesses in a 2 square mile area of this St Louis suburb have had to board up. All except one – the Conoco gas station and convenience store. At least a dozen stores have been set ablaze and others looted in Ferguson in racially charged riots since a grand jury on Monday cleared white policeman Darren Wilson in the shooting, which has torn apart this predominantly black Missouri city.

The unrest surrounding Brown’s death has underscored the often-tense nature of U.S. race relations. But the gas station has stood out as a beacon, literally and figuratively, as nightfall has descended and chaos has reigned around it. On Tuesday night, as police and soldiers took up positions in the parking lots of virtually every strip mall and big box store around it, the forecourt of the brightly lit gas station was busy with customers.

One, a six feet, eight-inch tall man named Derrick Jordan – “Stretch,” as friends call him – whisked an AR-15 assault rifle out from a pickup truck parked near the entrance. Jordan, 37, was one of four black Ferguson residents who spent Tuesday night planted in front of the store, pistols tucked into their waistbands, waiting to ward off looters or catch shoplifters. Jordan and the others guarding the gas station are all black. The station’s owner is white. Missouri allows the open carrying of firearms. State lawmakers recently passed a law overriding any local ordinance that banned the open carry of firearms by people who have concealed weapons permits.

Ferguson has seen a stark demographic shift in recent decades, going from all white to mostly black. About two-thirds of the town’s 21,000-strong population are black. By some accounts, the Brown shooting has heightened racial tensions in the city. But not at the gas station.“We would have been burned to the ground many times over if it weren’t for them,” said gas station owner Doug Merello, whose father first bought it in 1984. Merello said he feels deep ties to Ferguson, and if the loyalty of some of his regular customers is any indication, the feeling is mutual. At times, Jordan and his friends were joined on Tuesday night by other men from the neighborhood, also armed. None of the men was getting paid to be there. They said they felt they owed it to Merello, who has employed many of them over the years and treats them with respect. “He’s a nice dude, he’s helped us a lot,” said a 29 year old who identified himself as R.J. He said he, like the other volunteers, had lived a short distance away from the store for most of his life.

Read more: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/in-ferguson-black-residents-stand-guard-at-white-owned-store/

Peter1469
11-26-2014, 07:57 PM
When I was in law school, I lived in the Hood. And after a hurricane all the black neighbors and the white me were out front with weapons keeping the looters away. And beer.

Matty
11-26-2014, 07:59 PM
When I was in law school, I lived in the Hood. And after a hurricane all the black neighbors and the white me were out front with weapons keeping the looters away. And beer.
Why did ya'll need weapons? Man up and go hand to hand combat!

Peter1469
11-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Why did ya'll need weapons? Man up and go hand to hand combat!

Wouldn't have been a problem for me. The brothers with me were all much older!

But the weapons kept the criminal element too far away to worry about. They looted elsewhere. :smiley:

Peter1469
11-26-2014, 08:08 PM
The small world part of it was that one of the old black dudes there was the Army Staff Sergeant that signed me up in the Army in 1986.

Blackrook
11-26-2014, 08:12 PM
We need more black men like this. The only people who can stop black teenage boys from killing each other is older black men.

hanger4
11-26-2014, 08:21 PM
NOT a Fox News Story - Black Residents Standing Guard At White-Owned Conoco Store

Read more: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/in-ferguson-black-residents-stand-guard-at-white-owned-store/

Tain't RawStory either, tis a Reuters piece. BTW why the Fox reference ??

Howey
11-26-2014, 09:09 PM
Tain't RawStory either, tis a Reuters piece. BTW why the Fox reference ??

Because FOX would never print that story.

Cigar
11-26-2014, 09:16 PM
We need more black men like this. The only people who can stop black teenage boys from killing each other is older black men.

Well Look here ... more Black Expertise ... :laugh:

So tell us, how long have you been Black?

Blackrook
11-26-2014, 09:20 PM

The onus is on you Cigar. You should be working to fix the problem. Instead, you are making matters worse.

Cigar
11-26-2014, 09:25 PM
The onus is on you @Cigar (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=294). You should be working to fix the problem. Instead, you are making matters worse.

How do you know what I do ... go ahead, enlighten everyone on your knowledge and experience of me.

hanger4
11-26-2014, 09:26 PM
Because FOX would never print that story.
Why is that Howey ??

Blackrook
11-26-2014, 09:27 PM
How do you know what I do ... go ahead, enlighten everyone on your knowledge and experience of me.
You are on this forum all day, posting Democratic Party propaganda memes, probably for pay.

Your support of the Democratic Party means you are part of the problem, not the solution.

zelmo1234
11-26-2014, 09:30 PM

Well the current system of single mothers young males finding as many baby momma's as possible not working having no father in the home and drug use IS WORKING GREAT!

And the government promoting terrible schools, taxation and regulations policies that chase the low skilled jobs off shore, and allowing for massive illegal immigration to low wages is not helping either.

So what do you think the answer is

Mac-7
11-27-2014, 06:09 AM
Well the current system of single mothers young males finding as many baby momma's as possible not working having no father in the home and drug use IS WORKING GREAT!

And the government promoting terrible schools, taxation and regulations policies that chase the low skilled jobs off shore, and allowing for massive illegal immigration to low wages is not helping either.

So what do you think the answer is

Black people don't need education or jobs as long as they have obumer and the welfare state to take care of them.