PDA

View Full Version : Marines at Chosin

Peter1469
11-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Surrounded by 120,000 Chinese, (http://www.homeofheroes.com/brotherhood/chosin.html) the UN forces were only 30,000. Mostly US Marines. They were able to break out in good order and escape to fight another day. They didn't break.

In November, 1950 eight thousand fighters, most of them United States Marines, struggled to survive the coldest winter in 100 years in North Korea. Surrounded by 120,000 Chinese soldiers, their only lifeline was a 15'-wide, steep mountain road they called the M.S.R. (Main Supply Route) that led to the port city of Hungnam. From Yudam-ni at the north west corner of the Chanjin Reservoir, the MSR was a dangerous, 78-mile journey to the Sea of Japan. The trip was made far more difficult by the massive enemy force surrounding it. The withdrawal, the longest in American military history, would take 13 days and cost many lives. Those who didn't understand what was happening called it a "retreat", while one American general simply said, "We're attacking in a different direction." How you access what happened over those two freezing weeks in North Korea depends on your perspective.

Peter1469
11-27-2014, 04:50 PM
The webpage doesn't like to be cut and pasted. Check out the link.

Max Rockatansky
11-27-2014, 05:02 PM
We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them.
–Colonel Lewis B. ‘Chesty’ Puller, during Chosin Reservoir campaign, Korea, November 1950

Peter1469
11-27-2014, 05:04 PM
We need leaders like that today.

Max Rockatansky
11-27-2014, 05:10 PM
http://oi57.tinypic.com/110i3b6.jpg

Max Rockatansky
11-27-2014, 05:11 PM
We need leaders like that today.

We have them, but nobody respects them. They want accountants, businessmen and celebrities instead.

Bob
11-27-2014, 05:44 PM
A man I will call Sgt. Wortman and I went through basic training at Ft. Ord. At the time he was also an E1 recruit. After he fought in Korea, at Chosin, in the Army, he got out. Later in 1962, he was back in the
army and had to take Basic over. Soon as Basic and AIT ended, he got promoted to E-5.

He told some of us about that time at Chosin. He was part of the group trying to clear the road with Puller of the Marines commanding. He said in his unit he was the sole survivor. He said the problem they had was the Chinese were on the high ground and on the road they were in a trap. Still he was a much older than me person which is saying something since then I was 23, almost 24. Since he had already been in combat, I did ask him why he was back in basic and he said it was due to army regulations since he had been out for around 10 years. The way he told the story, they lived through hell. He remarked on the bitter cold as well.

Compared to him, we were kids. I believe some of the cadre also had served at Korea though I can't think of any who said so. I am going on age only.

Bob
11-27-2014, 07:15 PM
If Sgt. Wortman lives now, he must be in his mid to high 80s.

I was then in high school and daily the press carried accounts of the war. They showed us pictures of men who lost limbs to the bitter cold. Told us stories of the Chinese not even having weapons but rushed our troops to use up the ammo. The Chinese with guns and ammo followed with bugles playing loudly trying to scare our troops.

Yes,those men were tough.

Paperback Writer
11-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Gads, do you know how many times I've heard about the Frozen Chosin? I could tell you all about it by now. Those lads are quite obsessed with their military history, especially that in Korea. The Marines were all over the nation before the Army could even get organised.

Sound about right?

Trust me, I've heard this one told by no less than 6 different lads over pints. They're quite proud.

Animal Mother
11-27-2014, 08:40 PM
Sometimes I want to beat the shit out of the recruiter who signed me up for the Marines and then I remember the Frozen Chosin and think, Fuck Yeh, I'm a devil dog! Oorah!

"At Chosin, we didn’t consider ourselves wounded until we could no longer fire a rifle," said Pfc. Jack Erickson, a Marine