PDA

View Full Version : NYC police interesting facts

Common
11-30-2014, 02:14 PM
If you read the entire article, the facts show that the perception that NYPD is murderous is a bogus perceptions that feeds off misinformation and disdain for police in general.
Of course I know theres individuals that wont believe anything thats said positive about police and will say that anything positive is a made up lie. Shrug, life goes on

New York City in 1971 might seem seedily romantic today, but in reality it was a battlefield. That year, almost 1,500 people were murdered, including a dozen NYPD officers.

Fast-forward to 2010, when there have been only 486 homicides. So far, for the third year in a row, not a single officer has been killed by an assailant. Only two were wounded, compared with 1971, when 47 were hit by bad-guy gunfire.

This is partly because of lower crime rates. But it is also because police are shooting less, and so they get shot at less. This despite the fact there were 6,238 gun arrests in 2009 (the last year when full stats are available). In situations where cops drew a gun and fired, more dogs were killed than humans.
The NYPD has a few issues, like questionable crime statistics and aggressive frisking policies. But when it comes to deadly force, the NYPD should be justifiably proud of its record. We don’t really take note when a year passes without a Sean Bell. But we should. “You want the cops to be extremely restrained, but you also don’t want to create a situation where they would freeze at a critical moment,” says Eugene O’Donnell, who teaches at John Jay College of Criminal Justice. “You want them to feel they can defend their lives and the lives of other people. We give them a gun for a reason.” Of course, New Yorkers are more likely to know the name of Amadou Diallo, who was gunned down by cops in 1999, than they are to know the name of a single officer killed in the line of duty.

In 2009, the NYPD responded to 4.4 million radio-received assignments. Of those, 206,000 calls involved weapons of some kind. Despite those massive numbers, there were only 47 cases in which an officer intentionally fired a gun in a conflict.

Read that again, Patrol responded to 4.4 million 911 calls and the entire dept only fired their gun 47 times. That is incredible

http://nymag.com/news/articles/reasonstoloveny/2010/70079/

Newpublius
12-01-2014, 12:00 AM
Just as an aside during the 1970s, nyc got progressively worse (Bronx is burning, and part of the reason it was burning were store owners trying to get insurance proceeds from arson). My dad came home from the army and would not raise me there. Growing up in he 1980s, nyc had a dangerous air to it, when I became old enough to get to the city (without my parents') knowledge, 42nd street was crack heads, peep shows and an all around tourist unfriendly place.

In the 1990s nyc got progressively better.

Anecdotal, but 100% true story. Walking on 46th street, between 5th and 6th, a tourist reaches into her pocket for something, probably a phone and the result is she kind've pulled up too fast pulling with her a wad of cash, exactly how much, I don't know. There were 20 dollar bills everywhere. 6-8 people around her calmly helped her retrieve every last bill, to a certain extent surprising her!

Newpublius
12-01-2014, 12:03 AM
Main reason not NYPD, it's really the proliferation of cameras, they're everywhere. Rob a bank in midtown with a ski mask and those cameras can follow you until you take it off, and then follow you home. Good chance the police might beat you there! (Hyperbole) but the camera phenomenon is real, very hard to get away with anything there.