PDA

View Full Version : Remember the 3rd man on the podium at the 1968 Olympics:

Cigar
12-02-2014, 09:16 AM
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad185/tannybogus/imagejpg1-87.jpg

He was not well known outside of Australia, though, and not much considered on the world sprinting scene. He had not medaled at a major championship going into the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City. But he was running well at those Games, and he worked his way into the final. Then a series of strange and confusing events happened ... and these would mark the rest of his life.

The first was that Norman ran the race of his life. His time -- 20.06 seconds -- was the fastest he had ever run, the fastest he ever would run, and even now, 44 years later, stands as the Australian record.
<snip>
So Carlos and Smith went to Norman and asked him if he believed in human rights. Norman said yes. They asked him if he believed in God. Norman said yes. They told him what they intended to do on the stand and how they were sure that it was the most important thing they would do at the Olympics. Norman said four words that Carlos and Smith would never forget. He said, "I'll stand with you."

Carlos and Smith went to the medal podium wearing black socks. They had intended to also wear black gloves, but Carlos had left his pair behind. Norman suggested that one wear a black glove on his right hand, the other on his left. And that's what they did. The photo of John Carlos and Tommie Smith holding up one black gloved hand has become one of the most iconic in American history, and perhaps THE most iconic in Olympic history.

Peter Norman stands to the left, an unclear look on his face. What you cannot see in the photo is that Norman was wearing a badge that read: "Olympic Project For Human Rights," which he had borrowed from Paul Hoffman, a white member of the U.S. rowing team.

"I believe that every man is born equal and should be treated that way," Norman told reporters after the ceremony.

You probably know that all hell broke loose after that. The IOC immediately suspended Carlos and Smith from the U.S. team and expelled them from the Olympic Village. The two men received much abuse when they came home -- including death threats -- and were ostracized for a long while. But, like I say, you probably knew that.

What you may not have known -- what I did not know -- was that Peter Norman also went through his own personal turmoil after Mexico City. He was vaguely reprimanded by the Australian Olympic Committee for his support of Carlos and Smith -- according to The Guardian, Australia's chef de mission, Julius Patching, told Norman: "They're screaming out for your blood, so consider yourself severely reprimanded. Now, you got any tickets for the hockey today?"

But the press was not so accommodating. It tore Norman to shreds. Back home, Norman was banned from track for a couple of years. And even after he returned, though he was by far Australia's top sprinter and one of the best in the world, they did not send him to the Olympics in Munich four years later.
<snip>
Peter Norman died in 2006. He was 64 years old. A few weeks ago, the BBC showed footage of his funeral. They showed John Carlos and Tommie Smith carrying Peter Norman's casket.

Please read the rest:
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/36921250/the-forgotten-story-of-australian-olympian-peter-norman

John Carlos and Tommie Smith made a tremendously courageous and meaningful gesture.

Peter Norman should be remembered too. Peter Norman would be completely vilified in today's political climate.

Captain Obvious
12-02-2014, 09:34 AM
I heard this guy interviewed on NPR. There really wasn't anything memorable from the interview IMO, just that he did it and wasn't really sure why. It sounded like he was thrust into the spotlight and didn't know how to respond.