PDA

View Full Version : World's Largest Solar Farm Becomes Fully Operational!

Cigar
12-02-2014, 08:38 PM
9 Million Solar Panels Spanning 9.5 Sq Miles (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/11/29/1348326/-9-Million-Solar-Panels-Spanning-9-5-Sq-Miles-World-s-Largest-Solar-Farm-Becomes-Fully-Operational)
The first 500+ megawatt solar plant in the US, and the largest solar plant in the world came online recently (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2853208/Watch-world-s-largest-solar-power-plant-built-Huge-farm-generates-energy-160-000-homes-using-nine-MILLION-panels.html).

Called the Topaz Solar Farm, it was built on the Carrizo Plain, located between San Francisco and Los Angeles, due east of San Luis Obispo. The farm is now producing 550 megawatts, enough to keep the lights on in 160,000 homes and displace 370,000 tons of carbon emissions.

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj321/jpmassar/solar-array-topaz_zps35e2ff08.jpg

When I was a kid farmers baled hay and milked cows.

Now they herd photons as well.

Sometimes there really is Progress. :thumbsup20:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/11/29/1348326/-9-Million-Solar-Panels-Spanning-9-5-Sq-Miles-World-s-Largest-Solar-Farm-Becomes-Fully-Operational?detail=email

Peter1469
12-02-2014, 08:42 PM
Oh sure. If it is cost effective it is great. We need to upgrade our electrical grid so that electricity can be transported.

Chris
12-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Indeed, there is always technological progress.

A neat video of construction...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Ryow4cS_8

Common
12-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Interesting, first I hope it works but before we clamor its a success we have to see how much juice it actually produces. If we have to put up 15 billion panels to generate enough power for 3 billion people, well I wouldnt consider that a success

Peter1469
12-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Interesting, first I hope it works but before we clamor its a success we have to see how much juice it actually produces. If we have to put up 15 billion windmills to generate enough power for 3 billion people, well I wouldnt consider that a success

:shocked:

Cigar
12-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Oh sure. If it is cost effective it is great. We need to upgrade our electrical grid so that electricity can be transported.

That will never happen with a Black Man in The White House :laugh: ... it will look too much like a Win for America ... we can't have that.

Peter1469
12-02-2014, 10:03 PM
That will never happen with a Black Man in The White House :laugh: ... it will look too much like a Win for America ... we can't have that.
You are full of crap.

Several times the GOP House has pass bills to reinforce/advance our electrical grid and the dem Senate never brought them to the floor.

So take your race hustle and shove it up your

Bob
12-02-2014, 10:25 PM
I will tell you of an old CA law that this project could be violating.

It is the Williamson Act. This is where the land owner signs a long term contract to keep the land as Agriculture.

I know it is a corporate operation and was supposed to collect 1.9 billion dollars just to open it up, from the Feds.

PGE signed a contract to purchase the power.

PGE apparently is under the gun by Government to buy so called renewables.

I don't know the technical details on this project, such as how long the panels will last.

I do know the area where they are.

Essentially this is super rural area. Which is why so many land owners went for the Williamson Act protection.

This act is very difficult to break out of. Generally they sign up for 20 years. It has been years since I had listed Williamson act land but it pretty much killed my chances to sell the land. I was offering I think 88 acres. The owner I represented asked such a high price, people were not interested. I noticed later once the listing expired, a few years later, several homes being built on the land. It also had power line easements and the Hetch Hetche pipeline easement since a huge water pipeline ran directly through the property.

I learned a lot about the Williamson act just having that listing.

I read that this project supplies power to 160,000 users. I wonder who in that area had no power in order to have PGE step in to buy power. I suspect one of my clients working at PGE as an engineer could explain this to me. The cost to construct this was very expensive. I can't tell if the cost is reasonable or not since that is not in my wheelhouse of knowledge. I know PGE was forced to purchase Electricity from Altamont wind farm due to my talking to my friend, the insider. He informed me the purchase price caused PGE to lose money since they had to overpay for the power. And the power was not very reliable.

Of course we the people paying PGE end up getting the shaft.

Bob
12-02-2014, 10:27 PM

The company project is not a white house project. It is in response to some law that was there prior to your hero, Obama.

Common
12-02-2014, 10:44 PM

I doubt thats going to happen before im in the box no matter whos in the whitehouse