PDA

View Full Version : Mental health worsening

Adelaide
12-04-2014, 11:41 AM
An increasing number of adults have rated their own mental health as poor in the last five years, particularly young adults, say Ontario researchers who call it a troubling trend.

In a survey of adults aged 18 or older in Ontario,2.2 per cent said they had seriously contemplated suicide in the previous year, according to Thursday’s report from the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH). It’s the first time that the hospital included a specific question about suicide in its long-standing annual survey.

Self-rated poor mental health rose from 4.7 per cent in 2003 to 7.1 per cent in 2013. The increase was seen among those aged 18 to 29, from about three per cent in 2009 to 12 per cent last year.......

Student surveys also point to high rates of psychological distress and suicidal tendencies, which suggests that the transitions that young people face in their careers and social lives are stressful, said Dr. Robert Mann, a senior scientist and the other principal investigator of the CAMH survey.

Mental-helth survey suggests youth under increasing stress - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/mental-health-survey-suggests-youth-under-increasing-stress-1.2859715)

This is a study conducted in my province but probably has very similar results to other places. It makes sense that youth are feeling worse and more depressed; it's hard to find a job, it's extremely difficult to afford post-secondary education, hard to move out of your parent's place and be independent, so forth. There is a lot of pressure and a lot of hardship for this generation. My parents didn't face these types of struggles to the same degree. Housing was cheaper, university was cheaper, the economy was better... so forth. The "me" generation has a lot to worry about. Those worries easily become anxiety and depression.

Captain Obvious
12-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Mental-helth survey suggests youth under increasing stress - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/mental-health-survey-suggests-youth-under-increasing-stress-1.2859715)

This is a study conducted in my province but probably has very similar results to other places. It makes sense that youth are feeling worse and more depressed; it's hard to find a job, it's extremely difficult to afford post-secondary education, hard to move out of your parent's place and be independent, so forth. There is a lot of pressure and a lot of hardship for this generation. My parents didn't face these types of struggles to the same degree. Housing was cheaper, university was cheaper, the economy was better... so forth. The "me" generation has a lot to worry about. Those worries easily become anxiety and depression.

Or... big pharma is convincing us that we're sicker so they can sell us drugs.

Or both.

Peter1469
12-04-2014, 11:42 AM
It is true in the US with many people who have dropped out of the workforce. We also saw it during the Great Depression and to a lesser extent in the various recessions since. But only today's Great Recession compares with the Great Depression for duration.

PolWatch
12-04-2014, 12:05 PM
I have no problem believing that the younger generation are having more mental health issues. They have all the problems listed above, plus they have to listen to those who tell them that they just need to quit being lazy. I have watched several of my younger relatives go through depressions because they have been unable to find decent jobs...not because they didn't try. They worked to get an education, they all worked at one job or another to help with expenses. Now, when they expected to be able to use that education...nothing.

I hear some people my age who pass judgement on them...adding to their problems. I don't know the solution to the problem, I do know that those who are not dealing with the same stresses need to shut up and think about what they are dealing with. I don't think we would have done a lot better in the same situation.

Chris
12-04-2014, 12:08 PM
I'd be cautious with self-diagnosis.

Mac-7
12-04-2014, 01:46 PM

This is the result of liberal culture.

Adelaide
12-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Or... big pharma is convincing us that we're sicker so they can sell us drugs.

Or both.

The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health and Canadian Mental Health Association are far more likely to advise you to go to one of the counseling centres or participate in their group counseling than seek out medication. I know, I used to work/volunteer through one of their branches. Double that for addicts. It's hospitals which actually tend to push the drugs, by extension psychiatrists under their pay who see most mental health patients (outpatient and in) because we do not have private psychiatrists.

Edit: And I must point out they more often prescribe generics than non-generics, even it means stepping back to first or second gen medications versus newer medications.

Adelaide
12-04-2014, 02:28 PM
I'd be cautious with self-diagnosis.

Absolutely. But most people have enough self-awareness to know when they're feeling depressed versus just sad about a situational problem. People aren't all stupid and it's discussed enough now that people recognize the signs. Also, feeling suicidal is pretty self-diagnosable. Either you are or you aren't thinking about it or planning it.

Chris
12-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Absolutely. But most people have enough self-awareness to know when they're feeling depressed versus just sad about a situational problem. People aren't all stupid and it's discussed enough now that people recognize the signs. Also, feeling suicidal is pretty self-diagnosable. Either you are or you aren't thinking about it or planning it.

Right, mine was just a caution. A person I know complained of suicidal thoughts. She saw a psychiatrist who said those were the result of a prescribed drug she had been taking.

donttread
12-04-2014, 06:22 PM

Decreased physical activity is a big piece of this too

Adelaide
12-05-2014, 11:08 AM
Decreased physical activity is a big piece of this too

Most likely a component, yes. Same for drug/alcohol usage.

Polecat
12-05-2014, 11:43 AM
Many of the necessities of life these days did not even exist when I got my first place. And if they did I would not have been able to afford them. It is a misconception to think that past generations had it made. Most of us lived within our means and did not have some notion that we needed a mountain of stuff to set up house keeping. My furniture came from the curbs. I did not have an "entertainment" budget. Young people have been brainwashed into thinking they have to have a lot of stuff that in reality they have no real need for.

texan
12-05-2014, 11:47 AM
"Mental health" will always worsen as we come up with more excuses and syndromes. I think much of the mental health issues is not enough tough love. We are an excuse making weak society now.

Everyone gets a trophy!

Polecat
12-05-2014, 11:50 AM
"Mental health" will always worsen as we come up with more excuses and syndromes. I think much of the mental health issues is not enough tough love. We are an excuse making weak society now.

Everyone gets a trophy!

Spare the rod and spoil the child will only take you so far. A depraved society is still going to challenge the best raised kids.