PDA

View Full Version : Divorce rates are lower, but so are the number of people getting married

Captain Obvious
12-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Except for gays, they're going to fuck this trend up in a few years.

http://www.today.com/health/divorce-rates-are-lower-so-are-marriage-rates-1D80332291

This means we need to update how we think of marriage. It’s no longer accurate to casually proclaim that 50 percent of marriages end in divorce.

hanger4
12-04-2014, 01:42 PM
It never was accurate to claim 50% of all marriagea end in divorce.

Adelaide
12-04-2014, 02:16 PM
I don't see the appeal in marriage. Many of my friends are the same way. Those that do get married almost always have a child with the person first, in my experience from watching my age group.

Captain Obvious
12-04-2014, 02:26 PM
I don't see the appeal in marriage. Many of my friends are the same way. Those that do get married almost always have a child with the person first, in my experience from watching my age group.

I was raised Catholic and I always thought it was ridiculous to basically tell kids, during their sexual peak physically and emotionally, that they will burn in hell if they have sex before marriage as to pressure them into getting married.

...then we wonder why over half of marriages end in divorce (or early death).

Life is stupid.

Paperback Writer
12-04-2014, 02:27 PM
I've always said gays could have my spot in line. Although, I am admittedly bitter about my own parents divorce.

Lately, I've looked to my grandparents and their generation with a lot more admiration than I did in my twenties. They rode out the bad times and are not a happy older couple who won't be alone in their dotage.

Adelaide
12-04-2014, 02:36 PM
I was raised Catholic and I always thought it was ridiculous to basically tell kids, during their sexual peak physically and emotionally, that they will burn in hell if they have sex before marriage as to pressure them into getting married.

...then we wonder why over half of marriages end in divorce (or early death).

Life is stupid.

We are a predominantly Catholic country, but very few people my age or in my age group really give a hoot about religious ideals. Marriage is still a fairly big deal but tends to happen after two people already make what is essentially a life-time commitment to one another through a child. Almost all couples live together first before any marriage and it's not in separate bedrooms. My age group cares little for tradition, which is also probably why fewer are getting married or they're deciding to do it later in their lives.

Captain Obvious
12-04-2014, 02:38 PM
We are a predominantly Catholic country, but very few people my age or in my age group really give a hoot about religious ideals. Marriage is still a fairly big deal but tends to happen after two people already make what is essentially a life-time commitment to one another through a child. Almost all couples live together first before any marriage and it's not in separate bedrooms. My age group cares little for tradition, which is also probably why fewer are getting married or they're deciding to do it later in their lives.

If I could go back and do it all over again I would have waited until I was in at least, the very least 30's before getting married and having kids. Maybe even early 40's. I could have whored around until then and found a nice young sprig to settle down with afterwards.