PDA

View Full Version : Great Quote From The Economist

Conley
08-14-2011, 11:16 AM
"America is a scooter-bound glutton who, when its continuously increasing mass finally overwhelms the doughtiest scooter's capacities, shakes its fat fists like a mad baby and demands deliverance from the laws of physics."

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/08/fiscal-reform?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/whywerehosed

:D :D :'(

MMC
08-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Yeah :D.....wait a minute..... :'( :'( >:(

Conley
08-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Yeah, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Probably cry. Like a baby. Stomp my feet and clench my fat little hands. Waaah :'(

MMC
08-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Probably cry. Like a baby. Stomp my feet and clench my fat little hands. Waaah :'(

I like the Economist tho.....good paper.

Mister D
08-14-2011, 01:12 PM

I like it too but it's a little expensive. It's a weekly, full color magazine.

MMC
08-15-2011, 09:04 AM

Must not be the same one I was thinking of then.....there is one here in the Midwest thats called the Economist. Althought it may be for like a Tri-State Area or Regional 5 State. Plus Now the Wall Street has a Mag for the Weekend. Then we get Barrons, Financial Times, and all the Top Mags. But the Mags are starting to lose ground. Most of that we have going in stores and or Concessions like in Downtown Chicago. Althought with the like of News-Stands they some are owned independantly.

You have seen the Sunday NY-Times with all it s parts. It is nothing compared to the Chicago Tribune, Sun-Times, and Post-Tribune. The Times out of Indiana. These papers are like as thick or even larger than a telephone book. Newspapers weighing 3 1/2lbs. ea. or more. Specially round Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

Carriers have to watch how they even throw the papers as it can break shit easily. Doors, lights, windows, flower pots, bikes, etc etc. Not to mention they are also waking customers up at between 2-5 in the morning. Most all now are motorized routes. But Chicago Papers like to espouse that Front Porch Delivery.....even if areas are nothing but Tubes and or slots on mail-boxes for papers. We have entire Sub-divisions of these. Of Course all kinds of Apartment Complexes and or buildings to deal with.

Mister D
08-15-2011, 09:08 AM

Must not be the same one I was thinking of then.....there is one here in the Midwest thats called the Economist. Althought it may be for like a Tri-State Area or Regional 5 State. Plus Now the Wall Street has a Mag for the Weekend. Then we get Barrons, Financial Times, and all the Top Mags. But the Mags are starting to lose ground. Most of that we have going in stores and or Concessions like in Downtown Chicago. Althought with the like of News-Stands they some are owned independantly.

You have seen the Sunday NY-Times with all it s parts. It is nothing compared to the Chicago Tribune, Sun-Times, and Post-Tribune. The Times out of Indiana. These papers are like as thick or even larger than a telephone book. Newspapers weighing 3 1/2lbs. ea. or more. Specially round Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

Carriers have to watch how they even throw the papers as it can break shit easily. Doors, lights, windows, flower pots, bikes, etc etc. Not to mention they are also waking customers up at between 2-5 in the morning. Most all now are motorized routes. But Chicago Papers like to espouse that Front Porch Delivery.....even if areas are nothing but Tubes and or slots on mail-boxes for papers. We have entire Sub-divisions of these. Of Course all kinds of Apartment Complexes and or buildings to deal with.

The Economist I'm thinking of is based out of England.

http://www.economist.com/

Conley
08-15-2011, 09:11 AM

Seems much like magazines the papers around here have gotten more and more ads over the years. Our local paper has very little original writing, it is mostly stuff off the wire (am I using that term correctly? AP stories I mean) and full of circulars and advertisements.

Mister D
08-15-2011, 09:21 AM
I haven't read a paper around here in years.

MMC
08-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Yep CL....thats exactly what its about. Nothing but Car sales ads and all the ads and now small litle cats like from major stores. Such as Kohls, Best buy, Radio shack, etc etc.....plus now with the new pads they are coming out with like the Dailer Caller has.....it is beginning to affect the Newspaper industry.

Already papers are talking about cutting routes down. Already the money for gas is not really covering the job. The Chicago Tribune is talking about becoming like a central hub. They will do all the printing for other papers.

Use to be seniors would take the job to offset what they could bring in.....constant revolving door. People coming taking whatever they could get. Then the papers started with the Complaint system. Passed down thru Contractors to the Contracted Carriers. So many complaints and people lost their jobs. Contractors lost their buisnesses. Plus they had extended the routes.

All of these people must work 7 days a week. Use their own vehicles. They have to bag-up their papers. Which for those holding like 2 routes of up to 200 papers. Takes about 20 mins to bag. then about 30-45 mins for each route. They also have to deal with all weather conditons. Just like the mail neither rain sleet or snow. The paper will be delivered. All have like a 6 am deadline to get their papers delivered by then. During the Week that is..... Weekends 7 or 8 am depending on area.

This means if they cannot pull-into peoples drivesways to throw papers on their porches they must get out to do so. If they get a wet paper.....they get Charged 10.00 per wet paper, 2 dollars for any complaints by the Customers. Such as they didnt get their paper or not in the location they requested. Like for handicapped people. Distributors do have some discretion as the cutomer might be a problem one. Always complaining. Never paying their bill etc etc. Still they can go right to the paper over any of us Distributors. Which then we here it from whatever managerial Source for whatever appropriate news outlets.

Conley
08-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Wow, times are not good in the paper industry. That sounds brutal. The 24/7 nature of the job plus the very obvious slide away from profitability.

Mister D
08-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Yep CL....thats exactly what its about. Nothing but Car sales ads and all the ads and now small litle cats like from major stores. Such as Kohls, Best buy, Radio shack, etc etc.....plus now with the new pads they are coming out with like the Dailer Caller has.....it is beginning to affect the Newspaper industry.

Already papers are talking about cutting routes down. Already the money for gas is not really covering the job. The Chicago Tribune is talking about becoming like a central hub. They will do all the printing for other papers.

Use to be seniors would take the job to offset what they could bring in.....constant revolving door. People coming taking whatever they could get. Then the papers started with the Complaint system. Passed down thru Contractors to the Contracted Carriers. So many complaints and people lost their jobs. Contractors lost their buisnesses. Plus they had extended the routes.

All of these people must work 7 days a week. Use their own vehicles. They have to bag-up their papers. Which for those holding like 2 routes of up to 200 papers. Takes about 20 mins to bag. then about 30-45 mins for each route. They also have to deal with all weather conditons. Just like the mail neither rain sleet or snow. The paper will be delivered. All have like a 6 am deadline to get their papers delivered by then. During the Week that is..... Weekends 7 or 8 am depending on area.

This means if they cannot pull-into peoples drivesways to throw papers on their porches they must get out to do so. If they get a wet paper.....they get Charged 10.00 per wet paper, 2 dollars for any complaints by the Customers. Such as they didnt get their paper or not in the location they requested. Like for handicapped people. Distributors do have some discretion as the cutomer might be a problem one. Always complaining. Never paying their bill etc etc. Still they can go right to the paper over any of us Distributors. Which then we here it from whatever managerial Source for whatever appropriate news outlets.

Fuck that. That's a raw deal. $10 here, $2 there... ::)

Conley
08-15-2011, 10:08 AM
People are so desperate for work these days they'll put up with anything.

Mister D
08-15-2011, 10:17 AM
People are so desperate for work these days they'll put up with anything.

After a couple weeks of getting nickel and dimed like that I'd imagine they would be having second thoughts.

MMC
08-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Yeah and heres the Clincher.....Post Tribune and Sun-times use to arrive at 1:20am Trib Truck wouldnt arrive until 2:45 am. Then the post and Sun changed their time until 2:20. So people would be standing around which they do not get paid for. So that they can get their papers and get done on time. Then the papers are late with print, union truckers and their breaks, then bag and load ones car go and deliver. Most people nowadays hold 2 and 3 routes just to make money.

The newspaper indusry dont pay shit and they consistently screw people over. No taxes out peoples checks. No benefits paid out. Winter time is the worst with all the snow and ice. What makes up for it is around Christmas Time then all put cards in with their papers. Get tips ranging from 200 dollars to 3000 dollars. Depending on how many customers one has. Some get tips all year round. All cash too. Well gift cards and gas cards too.

The old timers like their morning papers and if they gets it on time and no problems once in a while they will throw out a tip. Although usually our female workers are the ones that get the most tips all year round. There are actually whole families that work the job too. Working full time jobs. As contractors they are responisble so they can have anyone cover for them just as long as the papers are delivered.

Mister D
08-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Sounds like a shitty gig to me. I've known a few guys who did this in their spare time but the early hours plus what you describe kill any possible incentive.

MMC
08-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Its getting ready to hit the hardest time of the year too.....Football Season. Late Games, Baseball Play-Offs, Start up for hockey and late games, then the World Series. Course BB would be going with their late games a well.

This maybe my last year they have taken more money from us and then we have to bid. Some people are so desperate they will low-ball shit and then find out they cannot make no money.can't get workers. Thats when you start seeing a whole family taking a distributorship. Thinking they can save money. But it don't work like that. As all would still need to be paid. Still the buisness is shot we will make a profit this year but not much. Plus my wife and family want me out of it too.

Plus now with papers losing more and more customers the field is going to shit. Even for those writers writing for them. News Industry will do what Huffington does and allow people to blog for free. But then wont pay them shit when their articles get noticed. So all the way round the field is going to lose more jobs and in the immediate future.

Mister D
08-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Its getting ready to hit the hardest time of the year too.....Football Season. Late Games, Baseball Play-Offs, Start up for hockey and late games, then the World Series. Course BB would be going with their late games a well.

This maybe my last year they have taken more money from us and then we have to bid. Some people are so desperate they will low-ball shit and then find out they cannot make no money.can't get workers. Thats when you start seeing a whole family taking a distributorship. Thinking they can save money. But it don't work like that. As all would still need to be paid. Still the buisness is shot we will make a profit this year but not much. Plus my wife and family want me out of it too.

Plus now with papers losing more and more customers the field is going to shit. Even for those writers writing for them. News Industry will do what Huffington does and allow people to blog for free. But then wont pay them shit when their articles get noticed. So all the way round the field is going to lose more jobs and in the immediate future.

Sorry to hear that but I guess it's probably best if you got out. Time to retire! 8)

MMC
08-15-2011, 12:41 PM

Sorry to hear that but I guess it's probably best if you got out. Time to retire! 8)

Yeah if I can get my kids out of here.....which as it stands I do not see them doing so for at least a 6 month period. Maybe more with winter coming. Plus all it will take is a year of doing nothing and I will be looking for something.

Mister D
08-15-2011, 12:44 PM

Yeah if I can get my kids out of here.....which as it stands I do not see them doing so for at least a 6 month period. Maybe more with winter coming. Plus all it will take is a year of doing nothing and I will be looking for something.

Maybe you culd still do something in that industry. I'm sure you must have a lot of contacts. Only this time you won;t have so much stress involved.

Conley
08-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Good thinking D. MMC all that stress is not worth it. No reason that your healthy kids can't get jobs too and chip in.

Mister D
08-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Good thinking D. MMC all that stress is not worth it. No reason that your healthy kids can't get jobs too and chip in.

When did you become a VIP? Big shot, huh? >:( ;D

Yeah, the way I hear him tell it I would have packed it in a while back.

Conley
08-15-2011, 06:31 PM

Being a VIP must not be that big of a deal if you and MMC are ones as well. :o :P :D

Mister D
08-15-2011, 06:36 PM

Being a VIP must not be that big of a deal if you and MMC are ones as well. :o :P :D

Ever since you got that Jimmy McMillan avatar... ::) ;D

Conley
08-15-2011, 06:38 PM

Don't get uppity with me son. Your 129 Karma is all thanks to Jimmy!

Mister D
08-15-2011, 06:41 PM

You're just setting me up for your next campaign! "The karma is too damn high!"

He got kicked out of his Manhattan apartment, BTW. :D :D :D

Conley
08-15-2011, 06:42 PM

You're just setting me up for your next campaign! "The karma is too damn high!"

He got kicked out of his Manhattan apartment, BTW. :D :D :D

:D :D :D

It is!!!

Mister D
08-15-2011, 06:47 PM
I bumped you up. :)

MMC
08-15-2011, 11:36 PM
Nah I am no VIP.....we are known due to our sales and least amount of complaints. But thats about it. Sure i know some people. But no one that could possibly help me out with switching Fields. Hell otherwise they could have given my kids jobs. Course if they had a car. Then they could do something on their own.

Working in it and seeing the news all the time one becomes numb to it.....