PDA

View Full Version : Shark fin chat with Chinese from Malaysia

Bob
12-06-2014, 03:06 PM
I promised some weeks back to chat with a guy who is Chinese over shark fin products.

According to him, the reason they cut off the fins and use just those is the rest of the shark does not taste good to them. He says the shark steaks one gets at some sea food markets is not the same shark.

The reason they toss out the rest of the shark is why you won't often eat cow hoofs or pig hooves. It is not appealing to them.

He says the supply of the correct shark is huge.

By the way, he owns his Domino's pizza store but came to this country as a civil engineer. He managed construction jobs in Malaysia.

He says the way they prepare the shark fin soup is to first allow it to dry. I am a bit vague on the rest since he spent more time explaining it than telling me how to prepare it. He says it is just one ingredient in the soup. Cooked correctly, he says it is very delicious. I am not clear how they deal with the fin other than it has to be re-hydrated as it is used.

So, good fins, good taste and lousy tasting shark body.

Even with the plant life's, we tend to toss off a part we don't care for. We eat the watermelon but not the vine.

A lot of a cow is waste. We don't eat the intestines nor eat the bones.

So Chloe and Adelaide, when worrying about sharks, keep this in mind.

del
12-06-2014, 03:10 PM
http://img.pandawhale.com/79034-lady-gaga-what-the-fuck-is-wro-QVhm.gif

Bob
12-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Interesting way del videos his wife and shows off her video.

Peter1469
12-06-2014, 03:15 PM
I have caught shark in the Gulf of Mexico and it is very good. I guess the big ones may not be tasty.

Chloe
12-06-2014, 03:17 PM
I really don't care if the soup tastes good to him and that they want to try and justify cruelty and waste. His opinion and advocacy of the practice does not sway me at all.

del
12-06-2014, 03:18 PM
mako is very good.

del
12-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Interesting way del videos his wife and shows off her video.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1544289/shark-eats-raft-o.gif

Mister D
12-06-2014, 03:24 PM
Virtually the entire cow is used. The leftover parts are used to make soap, animal feed, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals etc. Why anyone would defend the practice of shark finning is beyond me.

Adelaide
12-06-2014, 04:13 PM
I really don't care if the soup tastes good to him and that they want to try and justify cruelty and waste. His opinion and advocacy of the practice does not sway me at all.

Same. Our issue was with the ethics of it not how it tastes.

Safety
12-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Virtually the entire cow is used. The leftover parts are used to make soap, animal feed, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals etc. Why anyone would defend the practice of shark finning is beyond me.

Stop saying stuff I agree with.

Mister D
12-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Stop saying stuff I agree with.

I have a problem with how most animals are raised so I choose carefully at the market but slaughter houses are nothing if not efficient.

Bob
12-06-2014, 05:08 PM
I have caught shark in the Gulf of Mexico and it is very good. I guess the big ones may not be tasty.

I had shark at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco and I am fairly sure once here in town at a good seafood restaurant. Seng was kind to tell me the deal on shark fin soup.

Funny thing, he seems not a bit bothered that they dump the shark into the ocean.

I says, do you know what they do with the shark once they cut off the fins? He says, sure, it is dumped into the ocean. I says, why? He says it tastes bad.

Green Arrow
12-06-2014, 05:28 PM
I talked to an islander guy who said humans taste pretty good. They just prefer the skin off your back and the meat down your spine, though. The rest they just leave alone.

Mister D
12-06-2014, 05:30 PM
I talked to an islander guy who said humans taste pretty good. They just prefer the skin off your back and the meat down your spine, though. The rest they just leave alone.

Seriously, I heard us compared to pork.

Green Arrow
12-06-2014, 05:34 PM

This guy on an island I talked to is super honest. He said the back skin/meat tastes like bacon if you cook it right. Think they sell any on a wharf in San Francisco?

Mister D
12-06-2014, 05:35 PM
This guy on an island I talked to is super honest. He said the back skin/meat tastes like bacon if you cook it right. Think they sell any on a wharf in San Francisco?

Shudders...

del
12-06-2014, 05:48 PM

long pork

Bob
12-06-2014, 05:51 PM

I am not surprised that you simply don't care.

I had never asked a Chinese why they eat it and don't eat the body. Now we all know per his comments.

Peter1469
12-06-2014, 06:27 PM
I had shark at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco and I am fairly sure once here in town at a good seafood restaurant. Seng was kind to tell me the deal on shark fin soup.

Funny thing, he seems not a bit bothered that they dump the shark into the ocean.

I says, do you know what they do with the shark once they cut off the fins? He says, sure, it is dumped into the ocean. I says, why? He says it tastes bad.

Did you eat the shark that got your wife? :shocked:

Chloe
12-06-2014, 06:45 PM
I am not surprised that you simply don't care.

I had never asked a Chinese why they eat it and don't eat the body. Now we all know per his comments.
@Bob (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1013)

Neither adelaide nor I EVER argued the reason why the fisherman only take the fins. I know, and i'm sure @Adelaide (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=473) knows why they do it. I don't care about your chinese friends opinion because it's a meaningless opinion to me. My advocacy, and adelaide's advocacy, on this topic centers around the unethical, selfish, irresponsible and immoral way that these fisherman take these sharks from our oceans. It is cruel, it is unnecessary, and it is damaging to ecosystems. I don't care why they don't eat the body. I don't even want them doing that either.

Chloe
12-06-2014, 06:48 PM
moved to the environmental and conservation issues room so that the topic can stay somewhat serious.

Bob
12-06-2014, 07:16 PM

They do not taste good to Chinese. They defend it because fins properly prepared taste good to them. I doubt if the shark body tasted good, they would evade eating it. They eat some things I sure would never eat. Cat for instance.

Bob
12-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Same. Our issue was with the ethics of it not how it tastes.

My issue was to find out (on the food topic) why they eat fins and more, why not eat the entire shark.

Bob
12-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Well, clearly somebody thinks My posts need moving since others disrupted my topic.

Bob
12-06-2014, 07:22 PM

Well, you took it to eating humans. Are you sure a shark is equal to humans?

Bob
12-06-2014, 07:28 PM
@Bob (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1013)

Neither adelaide nor I EVER argued the reason why the fisherman only take the fins. I know, and i'm sure @Adelaide (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=473) knows why they do it. I don't care about your chinese friends opinion because it's a meaningless opinion to me. My advocacy, and adelaide's advocacy, on this topic centers around the unethical, selfish, irresponsible and immoral way that these fisherman take these sharks from our oceans. It is cruel, it is unnecessary, and it is damaging to ecosystems. I don't care why they don't eat the body. I don't even want them doing that either.

I did a call out hoping those who were interested had the chance to find out why the sharks are handled that way. It has nothing to do with ethics. It has nothing to do with conserving anything.

Seng is a very smart highly educated man from Malaysia who happens to be Chinese and has eaten Shark fin many times. I figured the other side of the story would be good to know.

I don't seem to care either how you mischaracterize Chinese culture. You might eat what he refuses to eat. We are not all doing the same thing.

I found what he said to be interesting. To him, it is as normal as you eating lettuce.

Your comments are very subjective. I wish animals did not die to feed humans, but simply have no control over any of it.

Green Arrow
12-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Well, you took it to eating humans. Are you sure a shark is equal to humans?

What are you talking about? I'm just sharing my conversation with an unnamed islander who thinks human back meat tastes good.

Bob
12-06-2014, 08:30 PM
What are you talking about? I'm just sharing my conversation with an unnamed islander who thinks human back meat tastes good.

Sorry to learn your friends eat humans.

Green Arrow
12-06-2014, 08:35 PM
Sorry to learn your friends eat humans.

Why? They say it tastes pretty good and it's just the back meat. They leave the rest alone.

Bob
12-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Why? They say it tastes pretty good and it's just the back meat. They leave the rest alone.

So, do you advise your human eating friends to eat all the human?

I feel so sorry you report your friends eat humans.

Matty
12-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Is this conversation disgusting or what?

Green Arrow
12-06-2014, 09:36 PM
So, do you advise your human eating friends to eat all the human?

I feel so sorry you report your friends eat humans.

Why are you so sorry about it, though? They don't eat humans, just parts of humans. If it's okay for the shark, why not the shipwrecked traveler?

Alyosha
12-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Cannibal the Musical was good.

Adelaide
12-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Cannibalism is well documented and really not that strange for animal behaviour when you think about it. One of the first cases found of cannibalism was in the four corners area of the USA by early migrants (not Europeans). Times get tough, you can always rely on other people dying (or in some cultures, human sacrifice). Unfortunately, there are very real dangers when it comes to eating other humans which is probably why you don't see many tribal communities with a history of eating specific parts like the brain. Prion diseases aren't just limited to mad cow or Creutzfeldt–Jakob. It's a pretty terrible way to die. The Fore tribe had a very well documented cases of rampant kuru from cannibalistic practices.

No, I'm not a whack job. Studied this in school.

Dr. Who
12-07-2014, 01:03 AM
They do not taste good to Chinese. They defend it because fins properly prepared taste good to them. I doubt if the shark body tasted good, they would evade eating it. They eat some things I sure would never eat. Cat for instance.
People cannot disassociate the practice of finning, with its inherent cruelty. It is as cruel to the shark as just removing a body part from any other animal and tossing them aside to bleed to death in agony. It matters little that the people who fish for them have no use for the rest of the carcass, the practice is cruel and inhumane.

Peter1469
12-07-2014, 07:34 AM
People cannot disassociate the practice of finning, with its inherent cruelty. It is as cruel to the shark as just removing a body part from any other animal and tossing them aside to bleed to death in agony. It matters little that the people who fish for them have no use for the rest of the carcass, the practice is cruel and inhumane.

I thought that Bob taught us that sharks can live with fining?

Bob
12-07-2014, 03:33 PM
I thought that Bob taught us that sharks can live with fining?

Actually this is what spurs confusion. Allocating claims to me I have yet to make. And have no intention of making said point.

Bob
12-07-2014, 03:38 PM

I can't speak for sharks feeling pain or not. I believe if you believe in freedom, you believe in freedom to eat. I don't know a lot about Chinese customs or eating habits so I took it to an expert. I was looking to see if tears welled up in his eyes. But a smile was on his face. We have important things to fret over. Sharks are not near the top of my list.

It seems logical to me that either other sharks eat those definned sharks or other denizens of the deep.

Bob
12-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Cannibalism is well documented and really not that strange for animal behaviour when you think about it. One of the first cases found of cannibalism was in the four corners area of the USA by early migrants (not Europeans). Times get tough, you can always rely on other people dying (or in some cultures, human sacrifice). Unfortunately, there are very real dangers when it comes to eating other humans which is probably why you don't see many tribal communities with a history of eating specific parts like the brain. Prion diseases aren't just limited to mad cow or Creutzfeldt–Jakob. It's a pretty terrible way to die. The Fore tribe had a very well documented cases of rampant kuru from cannibalistic practices.

No, I'm not a whack job. Studied this in school.

Thank you for discussing food.

I learned from you today.

Bob
12-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Why are you so sorry about it, though? They don't eat humans, just parts of humans. If it's okay for the shark, why not the shipwrecked traveler?

You are struggling to try to make some sort of point. I think it is to derail this thread.

Green Arrow
12-07-2014, 06:46 PM
You are struggling to try to make some sort of point. I think it is to derail this thread.

I'm not struggling at all. It's quite easy.