PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben to Renamed Elizabeth Tower

Conley
06-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Parliamentary authorities are now expected to support the calls to rename the Clock Tower as “The Elizabeth Tower” when they meet in a few weeks.

David Cameron, Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband are among senior figures from all three major parties who backed the proposal for Parliament to bestow the tribute to the Monarch.

They are among 331 MPs, from a total of 650, who now support the campaign, which is also understood to have backing from the Cabinet Office and Buckingham Palace.

A further 40 MPs have signed a Commons early day motion calling for the east tower at the Palace of Westminster to be formally named "The Elizabeth Tower".

Other MPs backing the idea include the William Hague, the Foreign Secretary, Theresa May, the Home Secretary, and Iain Duncan Smith, the Work and Pensions Secretary.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/the_queens_diamond_jubilee/9307060/The-Queens-Diamond-Jubilee-Big-Ben-to-be-renamed-Elizabeth-Tower.html

So it goes from Big Ben to Big Liz? That doesn't sound right. :undecided:

MMC
06-03-2012, 09:51 AM
It's their Country.....they can call it whatever they want. They want to keep making allowances to their Nobility. Thats on them. One day they will finally figure out how much they are having to spend as a government and their people footing the bill for it. :grin:

moon
06-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Seems to me to rank alongside the notions of ' The Black House ', ' The Israel Sea ' and ' Mount Mugabe ' . Leave well alone. Future generations will mock their stupidity.

Beevee
06-03-2012, 12:51 PM
It's their Country.....they can call it whatever they want. They want to keep making allowances to their Nobility. Thats on them. One day they will finally figure out how much they are having to spend as a government and their people footing the bill for it. :grin:

You think so? Probably one fiftieth of the expenditure by presidential candidates every four years on wasteful advertising.

Sultan
06-03-2012, 12:55 PM
I watched a very interesting movie a few nights ago.

The Headsman all about the Catholic Inquisition and last week Saudi channel showed season 2 of the Tudors each night ( I already watched season 1)

Those royal families in Europe were true barbarians for sure and they talk about us when we fought them in our lands!!!

That Elizabeth is from the family of a lot of lunatics!

Trinnity
06-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Advancement by murder and such was not uncommon.

Btw, they can call it anything they like, but people will still call it "Big Ben".

moon
06-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Why's it called ' Big Ben ' anyway ?

Conley
06-03-2012, 03:30 PM
I was wondering that myself...

Officially, the Clock Tower's bell is called the Great Bell though it is better known by the name 'Big Ben'.

There are two theories for this name's origin. These are that the Great Bell was:

named after Sir Benjamin Hall, First Commissioner for Works 1855-1858
named after Ben Caunt, a champion heavyweight boxer of the 1850s
The first theory is thought to be the most likely.
The name 'Big Ben' is often associated with the Clock Tower and the Great Clock as well as the Great Bell. It was to the Great Bell that the name originally was given.

http://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/building/palace/big-ben/building-clock-tower/great-bell/

Conley
06-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Advancement by murder and such was not uncommon.

Yep, and that's been true throughout human history, not just in the cases of European royal families.

MMC
06-03-2012, 03:45 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1031/nfl_u_roethlisberger_300.jpg

There is only one Big Ben.....and I'm Sorry it's not a Clock in a Tower. :laugh: :wink:

Trinnity
06-03-2012, 03:46 PM
So true, Conley.

Sultan
06-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Yep, and that's been true throughout human history, not just in the cases of European royal families.

No I wasn't saying only Europeans did it but every day I read and watch amazing things of European history that are shocking to me.

That Spanish inquisition was amazing. How they created all those different forms of tortures. Omar Suleiman our chief torturer would have learned a lot reading european techniques for sure :pope: