PDA

View Full Version : What federal departments are constitutional?

iustitia
12-09-2014, 09:37 PM
I left out Treasury, State, and Defense as the first two were created after the Constitution was ratified as was War the predecessor of Defense. They all originate from 1789. With a limit of 10 options I also removed Justice and Interior as they are rooted chronologically closer to the Constitution's ratification than the others with Justice succeeding the Attorney General's Office of 1789 and the Interior having been proposed since 1789 as well.

You can vote for as many or as few options as you like as this is limited to what you believe the government has the constitutional power to engage in.

Please also cite the portion of the Constitution that backs up your beliefs.

Green Arrow
12-09-2014, 10:20 PM
I think only Commerce is constitutional, but there are a couple others I think are justified.

Chris
12-09-2014, 11:00 PM
Nota

Green Arrow
12-09-2014, 11:39 PM
Nota

Commerce is constitutional. Congress has the power to regulate commerce = Department of Commerce regulates commerce.

donttread
12-10-2014, 07:49 AM
Commerce is constitutional. Congress has the power to regulate commerce = Department of Commerce regulates commerce.

Commerce between the states , but it was never intended to have power over commerce within the states

Chris
12-10-2014, 09:43 AM

Right, regulating commerce is a power of Congress. But does that empower the Administration to create a Department? And if so, isn't much of it's regulation--like the ACA--unconstitutional? Perhaps I'm reading the question differently, or incorrectly.

Green Arrow
12-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Right, regulating commerce is a power of Congress. But does that empower the Administration to create a Department? And if so, isn't much of it's regulation--like the ACA--unconstitutional? Perhaps I'm reading the question differently, or incorrectly.

Whether or not some of the actions it takes are constitutional does not affect whether or not the Department itself is constitutional. Congress takes many unconstitutional actions, but Congress itself is still a constitutional entity.

Howey
12-10-2014, 01:09 PM
I left out Treasury, State, and Defense as the first two were created after the Constitution was ratified as was War the predecessor of Defense. They all originate from 1789. With a limit of 10 options I also removed Justice and Interior as they are rooted chronologically closer to the Constitution's ratification than the others with Justice succeeding the Attorney General's Office of 1789 and the Interior having been proposed since 1789 as well.

You can vote for as many or as few options as you like as this is limited to what you believe the government has the constitutional power to engage in.

Do you post elsewhere or is this just another dredged up failed thread from here?

Chris
12-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Whether or not some of the actions it takes are constitutional does not affect whether or not the Department itself is constitutional. Congress takes many unconstitutional actions, but Congress itself is still a constitutional entity.

I guess I have a problem with government departments as they tend to become law unto themselves, creating rather than enforcing.

I get what you're saying though, in that sense you're right.

iustitia
12-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Do you post elsewhere or is this just another dredged up failed thread from here?
I really don't know what you're mewling about. Please stay on topic.

Howey
12-10-2014, 03:53 PM
I really don't know what you're mewling about. Please stay on topic.

I was thinking of this thread, incredibly also started by you.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/35899-Another-question-for-progressives?highlight=federal+departments+unconst itutional

Changing "constitutional" to "unconstitutional" doesn't change the "gotcha" intent of your thread, nor does it negate the butthurt you received at the hands of the mods for insulting others.

Please try again.

Howey
12-10-2014, 03:57 PM
Are there any federal agencies and/or departments that you believe are unconstitutional? If so, which ones and why?

What federal departments are constitutional?

Basically, your two questions are the same, merely inversed.

http://www.shmoop.com/federal-bureaucracy/faq.html

What is the difference between a department, an administration, an agency, an authority, and a commission?

Departments are the largest organizations within the federal bureaucracy. There are fifteen executive departments (Agriculture, Commerce, Defense, Education, Energy, Health and Human Services, Justice, Homeland Security, Housing and Urban Development, Interior, Labor, State, Transportation, Treasury, and Veterans Affairs). Department heads are labeled secretaries (except for the Attorney General, who heads the Department of Justice), and these officials all serve in the president's cabinet.

Most of the agencies, commissions, and administrations fall under one of the executive departments. The Food and Drug Administration, for example, is part of the Department of Health and Human Services. A minority of the agencies are independent; that is, they do not fall under any of the executive departments. The Environmental Protection Agency is an example of an independent agency.

There is not perfect consistency in the use of the various labels for government agencies, but commissions generally engage in some form of business regulation. Also, there is a loose distinction drawn between staff agencies and line agencies. Staff agencies provide advice and assistance to the president and other executive branch officials, while line agencies have a set of specific responsibilities that they carry out. For example, the Office of Management and Budget is a staff agency; it provides the president with assistance in constructing his annual budget proposal. The Environmental Protection Agency is a line agency. It does more than provide advice; it is charged with setting and enforcing air and water quality standards.

iustitia
12-10-2014, 04:07 PM
You're illiterate, paranoid, and irrational.

The other topic in question was specifically directed towards liberals though the intent of it was to get responses from intelligent posters and not you.

This is a general poll for all to vote in regardless of ideology.

Now again, stay on topic.

Chris
12-10-2014, 04:10 PM
I was thinking of this thread, incredibly also started by you.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/35899-Another-question-for-progressives?highlight=federal+departments+unconst itutional

Changing "constitutional" to "unconstitutional" doesn't change the "gotcha" intent of your thread, nor does it negate the butthurt you received at the hands of the mods for insulting others.

Please try again.

You're the only sees gotchas everywhere you look, howey. Why not just try to answer the question?

Bob
12-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Commerce between the states , but it was never intended to have power over commerce within the states

I too did not pick Commerce for that very reason. If it could regulate all commerce, states would have no role inside states to regulate commerce.

nic34
12-10-2014, 04:15 PM
Oh gosh, here we go again....

Chris
12-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Oh gosh, here we go again....

Where's that?

nic34
12-10-2014, 04:44 PM
Howey is right, another gotcha thread......

Mr. Freeze
12-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Maybe commerce if you stretch it. They're all just gross encroachment of the state to serve the purpose of industry.

Chris
12-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Howey is right, another gotcha thread......

How so, nic? It's a legitimate question and point of contention, everyone having different opinions. Why not promote discussion instead of like howey demote it?

Oh, wait, you all liberal progressives demand compliant compromise, sorry, forgot.

nic34
12-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Liberal Shooting gallery

http://www.carnivalshooter.com/wp-content/themes/azul/images/shooter/presskit/screen4.png

Chris
12-10-2014, 05:03 PM
Liberal Shooting gallery

http://www.carnivalshooter.com/wp-content/themes/azul/images/shooter/presskit/screen4.png

I'd shed a tear but everybody shoots everybody else's opinions down. That's part of the point of discussing topics.

Howey
12-10-2014, 05:36 PM
You're the only sees gotchas everywhere you look, howey. Why not just try to answer the question?

I did. In the original thread.

Howey
12-10-2014, 05:36 PM

Why no "None of the Above"?

Howey
12-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Liberal Shooting gallery

Conservative Shooting Gallery

Chris
12-10-2014, 05:43 PM
I did. In the original thread.

Yes, you cried gotcha then too.

iustitia
12-10-2014, 07:33 PM
Why no "None of the Above"?

You really are illiterate. Read the OP. There's a limit of 10.

Green Arrow
12-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Guys, come on. Don't make me break out the pink warnings. We're all adults, we should be able to carry on a discussion as adults.

Peter1469
12-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Conservative Shooting Gallery

Warning: Howey, don't use photos of the President that might cause the Secret Service to open an investigation please.

donttread
12-11-2014, 07:08 AM
I too did not pick Commerce for that very reason. If it could regulate all commerce, states would have no role inside states to regulate commerce.

It is however the clause used to justify much of our government's unconstitutional actions. As if the founders would go to the trouble of enumerating federal powers only to write in an automatic over ride