PDA

View Full Version : Why do people make such a big deal about shutting down the government?

Green Arrow
12-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Seriously, lots of people talk about a government shutdown, like it's the end of the world and the herald of our collapse. Yet, every time a shutdown happens, the only reason anyone knows it's happening is because the media and hysterical politicians tell us it's happening. Otherwise, life continues on as normal.

zelmo1234
12-11-2014, 09:25 AM
Amen Brother. Amen

Chris
12-11-2014, 09:25 AM
Fear tactic.

Cigar
12-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Seriously, lots of people talk about a government shutdown, like it's the end of the world and the herald of our collapse. Yet, every time a shutdown happens, the only reason anyone knows it's happening is because the media and hysterical politicians tell us it's happening. Otherwise, life continues on as normal.

Every time there's a Government Shutdown or Government Cut-Backs, real American People are affected.

You may never personally feel those affects, but those affects are real for someone, someplace, somehow.

Yes, life does continue as normal for most of us, but then most of us are not afforded the luxury of a Computer, the Internet and the time call Government Shutdown or Government Cut-Backs hysterical.

Sorry, but that's the bleading heart liberal in me talking.

Peter1469
12-11-2014, 09:34 AM

That is the biggest reason Congress is not likely to shut down. One of these times, people are going to wake up and demand that every position that was furloughed be cut since everything worked fine.

Green Arrow
12-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Every time there's a Government Shutdown or Government Cut-Backs, real American People are affected.

You may never personally feel those affects, but those affects are real for someone, someplace, somehow.

Yes, life does continue as normal for most of us, but then most of us are not afforded the luxury of a Computer, the Internet and the time call Government Shutdown or Government Cut-Backs hysterical.

Who in America doesn't have a computer and the internet? Even when I was homeless, I had access to a computer and internet.

Mac-7
12-11-2014, 09:35 AM
I like the idea of shutting down the government.

but I don't like the idea of paying government employes for not working.

If they are laid off for two weeks they should lose two weeks pay or two weeks vacation time.

Cigar
12-11-2014, 09:38 AM
That is the biggest reason Congress is not likely to shut down. One of these times, people are going to wake up and demand that every position that was furloughed be cut since everything worked fine.

... and demand that the Job Creators Hire them, because God knows you don't want to pay them the unemployment they have been paying into or you don't want them to not look for work, because that would add to your talking points of labor participation.

:grin:

nic34
12-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Unless you work for the government and need your income.

Cigar
12-11-2014, 09:39 AM

If they are laid off for two weeks they should lose two weeks pay or two weeks vacation time.

:thumbsup20: I think that should be a GOP Campaign Slogan for 2016

Green Arrow
12-11-2014, 09:39 AM

Who in their right mind wants to work for government?

Cigar
12-11-2014, 09:40 AM

They should try their experiments on their own jobs to see if it works :laugh:

Cigar
12-11-2014, 09:41 AM

Law Enforcement Officers

Ever wonder who takes care of your Shit when you flush?

Mac-7
12-11-2014, 09:41 AM

Civilians who are overtaxed to pay for these gov employees need their income too.

Peter1469
12-11-2014, 09:42 AM
... and demand that the Job Creators Hire them, because God knows you don't want to pay them the unemployment they have been paying into or you don't want them to not look for work, because that would add to your talking points of labor participation.

Make sense please- or at least keep your topics organized. Or should the government put all unemployed people on the government payroll?

Green Arrow
12-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Law Enforcement Officers

Ever wonder who takes care of your Shit when you flush?

Law enforcement officers? You mean, the same guys you talked about ending up dead in the streets by citizens unafraid to shoot back?

Mister D
12-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Doesn't the machinery of the state continue to run?

Mac-7
12-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Law Enforcement Officers

Ever wonder who takes care of your $#@! when you flush?

My impression is libs want to put all the cops in jail and rely on the New Black Panthers for protection.

Chris
12-11-2014, 09:46 AM

Perhaps time to work for a wealth-generating entity rather than a wealth-consuming one?

Green Arrow
12-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Doesn't the machinery of the state continue to run?

It does, but let the ignorant lads have their delusions. Government shutdowns mean the military, police, ambulances, fire departments, hospitals, and gravity all fail.

Howey
12-11-2014, 09:51 AM

Of course life goes on. Even as kids go without lunches, national parks are closed, air traffic is disrupted, military, retired military and elderly face non-payment of benefit checks, federal workers and their families will be left jobless and broke, and above all - The American people will continue to lose faith in a political system that was once based on compromise, checks and balances that has now been replaced by childish giveaways and cronyism.

http://i.imgur.com/N0AR2fv.jpg

Mac-7
12-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Of course life goes on. Even as kids go without lunches, national parks are closed, air traffic is disrupted, military, retired military and elderly face non-payment of benefit checks, federal workers and their families will be left jobless and broke, and above all - The American people will continue to lose faith in a political system that was based on compromise, checks and balances that has now been replaced by childish giveaways and cronyism.

I'm one of the American people and my faith in government would grow if the royalty in Washington were treated like us peasants for a change.

Cigar
12-11-2014, 09:57 AM
I'm one of the American people and my faith in government would grow if the royalty in Washington were treated like us peasants for a change.

I got an Idea ... once President Obama is gone, and if YOUR GOP Candidate Wins in 2016 ...

I'm totally in agreement with YOU treating YOUR Elected President and Government like peasants.

Mac-7
12-11-2014, 10:00 AM
I got an Idea ... once President Obama is gone, and if YOUR GOP Candidate Wins in 2016 ...

I'm totally in agreement with YOU treating YOUR Elected President and Government like peasants.

Ok.

Starting this year limit obumer and his mooching family to one two week vacation a year and charge them the full cost.

Then that will be the law from now on.

Chris
12-11-2014, 10:02 AM
It does, but let the ignorant lads have their delusions. Government shutdowns mean the military, police, ambulances, fire departments, hospitals, and gravity all fail.

http://i.snag.gy/tVUKD.jpg

nic34
12-11-2014, 10:04 AM

Many do, believe it or not. Regular folks like all of us.

Most are proud of their service, like those that work for NASA, National Parks/Monuments, Smithsonian, USPS and others. My dad worked for the NTSB many years and was proud of his contribution to aircraft safety.

The world is not black and white.

Cigar
12-11-2014, 10:06 AM
Ok.

Starting this year limit obumer and his mooching family to one two week vacation a year and charge them the full cost.

Then that will be the law from now on.

:rollseyes: There you have it folks ... Governing GOP Style ... Penny Wise and Dollar Stupid all over Hate for a Man who kicked their ass twice fair and square.

nic34
12-11-2014, 10:08 AM
Perhaps time to work for a wealth-generating entity rather than a wealth-consuming one?

Yes, definitely. And lets be sure to punish and blame the employees for the shortcomings of government bureaucracy.

Mac-7
12-11-2014, 10:10 AM
:rollseyes: There you have it folks ... Governing GOP Style ... Penny Wise and Dollar Stupid all over Hate for a Man who kicked their ass twice fair and square.

Dollar stupid is lavishing millions of those dollars on a lazy golfer in chief and his non working family for vacations that ordinary Americans cannot afford for themselves.

Mac-7
12-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Yes, definitely. And lets be sure to punish and blame the employees for the shortcomings of government bureaucracy.

They are the government bureaucracy.

Chris
12-11-2014, 10:14 AM

No, let's blame the politicians who create the monster, nic. You seem to see what's happening, but in defending the system sit there saying it can't be helped, can't lick 'em, join 'em.

nic34
12-11-2014, 10:16 AM
They are the government bureaucracy.

Wrong, WE are.

PolWatch
12-11-2014, 10:16 AM
yeap, no other President in history has ever taken his family on a vacation. Why don't you chain him to the Resolute desk in the Oval Office? That way, he will have more time to create more regulations and sign more laws!

Mac-7
12-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Wrong, WE are.

Who is "we?"

Mac-7
12-11-2014, 10:20 AM
yeap, no other President in history has ever taken his family on a vacation. Why don't you chain him to the Resolute desk in the Oval Office? That way, he will have more time to create more regulations and sign more laws!

Ot presidents travel on vacations with the First Lady rather than taking separate jets like obumer and his estranged wife.

And in this time of economic crisis it would not hurt for obumer to spend a little less on himself while the American people are struggling just to make ends meet.

nic34
12-11-2014, 10:21 AM
No, let's blame the politicians who create the monster, nic. You seem to see what's happening, but in defending the system sit there saying it can't be helped, can't lick 'em, join 'em.

Ok, let's start by shutting down elections beginning with 2016 and see what happens. Wanna bet it doesn't happen?

See, not so easy to just "lick 'em". But go on ahead, penalize the government worker first.

Mac-7
12-11-2014, 10:25 AM
Ok, let's start by shutting down elections beginning with 2016 and see what happens. Wanna bet it doesn't happen?

You read his mind.

I think obumer would love to cancel the 2016 election and be golfer in chief for life.

Chris
12-11-2014, 10:26 AM

See, not so easy to just "lick 'em". But go on ahead, penalize the government worker first.

It's simply outside the box of your thinking, nic, it seems, to consider limiting and reducing government. You turn immediately to limiting the people, here, and elsewhere, the market. Never the government. Statism is a religion.

Chris
12-11-2014, 10:28 AM
Wrong, WE are.

I don't work in government, nic.

Granted, a lot of my income goes to government in tax theft, so I suppose it could be said I do as a slave.

PolWatch
12-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Are you 100% sure you don't work for the government? I wonder how many people in private industry, actually DO work for the government somewhere along the line. The government is so involved in every aspect of our lives, I bet everyone is employed by the government...even if the connection is several degrees removed!

del
12-11-2014, 10:35 AM
I don't work in government, nic.

Granted, a lot of my income goes to government in tax theft, so I suppose it could be said I do as a slave.

lol

Chris
12-11-2014, 10:36 AM
Are you 100% sure you don't work for the government? I wonder how many people in private industry, actually DO work for the government somewhere along the line. The government is so involved in every aspect of our lives, I bet everyone is employed by the government...even if the connection is several degrees removed!

Definitely, we all work for government inasmuch as we pay taxes.

But I don't work in government, which is where nic started before moving his goalposts.

nic34
12-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Definitely, we all work for government inasmuch as we pay taxes.

But I don't work in government, which is where nic started before moving his goalposts.

I started by saying some folks depend on a paycheck from the government.

YOU moved the goalposts by blaming the cog for the existence of the clock.

zelmo1234
12-11-2014, 10:51 AM

It is worse, the draw unemployment and then the government pays them.

zelmo1234
12-11-2014, 10:52 AM

If they are not needed, then they don't get to have a job and do nothing, And the private sector does hire when they need to, too bad that the government creates policies that prevent them from needing to

PolWatch
12-11-2014, 10:53 AM
I used to believe I didn't work for the government...I worked at a diesel engine repair company....until I found that some of our customers (marine towing companies) actually worked on government contract and received government subsidies (transportation)...so I was actually working for the government too!

Safety
12-11-2014, 10:54 AM

It's the left's fear tactic, just like ebola was the right's.

Safety
12-11-2014, 10:55 AM
I used to believe I didn't work for the government...I worked at a diesel engine repair company....until I found that some of our customers (marine towing companies) actually worked on government contract and received government subsidies (transportation)...so I was actually working for the government too!

Nobody likes the government, but they all want government contracts...maybe it's because you never have to worry about a bounced check....

Chris
12-11-2014, 10:55 AM

A lot of people work for the government in that way. In the past I worked at a research facility that did contract work for the military, mainly Air Force, some Navy, and some NASA. All of that research was also done for private business.

Peter1469
12-11-2014, 10:56 AM

I would not consider that working for the government. Sure the government and/or its contractors were your customers, but that doesn't make you an employee.

Peter1469
12-11-2014, 10:58 AM
Nobody likes the government, but they all want government contracts...maybe it's because you never have to worry about a bounced check....

You would be surprised.

Also many contractors that work for the government focus on maximizing profits with little thought to anything above bare bones performance. They would not make it in the commercial marketplace. The federal regulations (federal acquisition regulations) don't help things either.

Look at the Obamacare website as one example....

Chris

You started here, nic: "Unless you work for the government and need your income."

That's different than contracting or paying taxes.

Safety
A lot of people work for the government in that way. In the past I worked at a research facility that did contract work for the military, mainly Air Force, some Navy, and some NASA.

When I got my degree, my friends and colleagues were deriding me for accepting a government job, they said I was losing out of so much money vs the private sector. After 2008, they now say I'm an asshole because I still have a job because I work for the government.....

I can't win.

PolWatch
12-11-2014, 11:00 AM
My thought was we are all tied to government employment in one way or another...whether we are aware or not. When you think of how much involvement the government has in supposedly private industry, its kinda scary!

zelmo1234
12-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Of course life goes on. Even as kids go without lunches, national parks are closed, air traffic is disrupted, military, retired military and elderly face non-payment of benefit checks, federal workers and their families will be left jobless and broke, and above all - The American people will continue to lose faith in a political system that was once based on compromise, checks and balances that has now been replaced by childish giveaways and cronyism.

http://i.imgur.com/N0AR2fv.jpg

Ah yes the dreaded park shut down that cost more money than to keep them open?

The elderly get their payments, so does retired military, current military does not but the get it all made up when they get things done.

there is one clear way to not see this happen and that is for the Democrats to realize that we the USE are broke and stop the foolish spending, for example 500 million to Planed Parenthood in 2014, And with the ACA you are required to have insurance and insurance is required to pay for women's health issues, including most types of birth control

That seems to be 500 million we could save if they did not donate so much of that money back to the DNC

Peter1469
My thought was we are all tied to government employment in one way or another...whether we are aware or not. When you think of how much involvement the government has in supposedly private industry, its kinda scary!

Well, I agree in the sense that governments are not going to disappear any time soon, absent some total financial collapse.

nic34
You started here, nic: "Unless you work for the government and need your income."

That's different than contracting or paying taxes.

Polwatch brought that up, not me.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/36164-Why-do-people-make-such-a-big-deal-about-shutting-down-the-government?p=874727&viewfull=1#post874727

Safety
12-11-2014, 11:03 AM
You would be surprised.

Also many contractors that work for the government focus on maximizing profits with little thought to anything above bare bones performance. They would not make it in the commercial marketplace. The federal regulations (federal acquisition regulations) don't help things either.

Look at the Obamacare website as one example....

I guess I was talking more about the field operations, for example, replacing a roof on a facility....a contractor comes and replaces the roof, and it was a shitty job and leaks within a year...instead of making the contractor come and fix their shit, another contractor is hired to replace the roof again.

zelmo1234
12-11-2014, 11:04 AM

I thought that he said it would be police from this time forward?

that means that the next President would have to pay for their vacations as well? Why should the people have to pay for his personal pleasure?

zelmo1234
12-11-2014, 11:06 AM

No I don't think that we need to go that far, but we could freeze federal hiring and wages, until they get a balanced budget

nic34
12-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Who is "we?"

All of us that use and depend on government services. And believe me, we all do.

zelmo1234
12-11-2014, 11:12 AM

A agree, all Presidents in the past have abused the , Why do we need to continue this practice.

So lets make the law NOW and apply it to the next president, how about that for ending the abuse

Chris
12-11-2014, 11:14 AM
All of us that use and depend on government services. And believe me, we all do.

Sounds like Obama's faux paus.

zelmo1234
12-11-2014, 11:14 AM

Why would we shut down one of the few things that the Federal government is mandated to do In the constitution?

Why not start with ending the Dept of Education. The quality of Education in this country has been declining ever since the Federal Government stuck it's nose into the system. Return that power and all that money back to the states, and hold them accountable for results.

That would save way more money than it cost for elections

zelmo1234
12-11-2014, 11:15 AM
It's simply outside the box of your thinking, nic, it seems, to consider limiting and reducing government. You turn immediately to limiting the people, here, and elsewhere, the market. Never the government. Statism is a religion.

The agenda is for the government to provide all? What did you expect?

Chris
12-11-2014, 11:16 AM
When I got my degree, my friends and colleagues were deriding me for accepting a government job, they said I was losing out of so much money vs the private sector. After 2008, they now say I'm an asshole because I still have a job because I work for the government.....

I can't win.

My initial point to nic on bureaucracy was simply that it doesn't generate wealth but only consumes it.

Nic seems to think we depend on government when it's the other way around and always has been, government depends on the people.

zelmo1234
12-11-2014, 11:16 AM

And you see no problem with them being involved in every aspect of your life?

That is exactly what the problem is.

Chris
12-11-2014, 11:17 AM
The agenda is for the government to provide all? What did you expect?

From progressives, nothing less.

zelmo1234
12-11-2014, 11:20 AM

Again so why can't we stop the bleeding.

Put a hiring Freeze on all federal agencies, if they need new people, then you transfer them from other departments

You put a wage freeze on all of them and give congress a 10% cut in pay for every year that they do not balance the budget!

nic34
12-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Why would we shut down one of the few things that the Federal government is mandated to do In the constitution?

Why not start with ending the Dept of Education. The quality of Education in this country has been declining ever since the Federal Government stuck it's nose into the system. Return that power and all that money back to the states, and hold them accountable for results.

That would save way more money than it cost for elections

That would save us how much? Education is funded mostly at the state/local level.

nic34
12-11-2014, 11:23 AM
Every American relies on government in a variety of ways. If you:

went to a public college or university
work for government (i.e., cops, teachers, firefighters, military, social workers, librarians, school janitors, judges, court reporters, bus drivers, etc)
borrow books from a public library
work for or own stock in a defense contractor
get your electricity or water from a government-owned utility
went to, or send your kids to, public school
ride on government-run buses, subways or light-rail
take prescription medicine whose safety and effectiveness are regulated by the Food and Drug Administration
use or work for the post office
went to college on the GI Bill, Pell Grant, state financial aid program
are retired and get Social Security payments
ever used food stamps
lived in public housing or had a Section 8 voucher
used a wheelchair ramp mandated by the Americans for Disability Act
get your health care from the Veterans Administration hospital
go boating or fishing in a government-run lake
have a job whose workplace is safer because of OSHA rules
work for a company or nonprofit organization that has a contract with the local, county, state or federal government
have a family member who depends on a government-subsidized home health care aide
pay for your medicine and medical care with Medicaid
got a tax subsidy for your mortgage interest and/or property taxes
recycle your garbage through your city's sanitation department
took a vacation in a national or state park
own a family- or corporate-owned farm that is irrigated by a government-owned dam
played baseball or soccer or used the see-saw or swings in a public park or playground
got your polio and other vaccination shots at your public school
traveled with a government-issued passport
used an elevator inspected for safety by the local building department
eat food inspected for safety by the U.S. Department of Agriculture
went to a restaurant inspected by the local Health Department
were helped by a police officer, park ranger or firefighter
have a savings account in a bank regulated by the Federal Deposit insurance Corporation
flew on an airplane inspected by the Federal Aviation Administration

zelmo1234
12-11-2014, 11:26 AM

You are correct but this is exactly what needs to stop.

For example Obama pulls the troops out of Iraq and the Democrats tell us how much money they are saving.

but they Employ Private Contractors that make in a week what a soldier makes in a year to protect there interest.

So they Cut the contactors pay to save money, We all leave because it is not worth it, and then ISIL or ISIS or what ever they want to call themselves this week and now we are rebuilding the force in Iraq.

No money saved because politics rather than sound policy ruled the day.

zelmo1234
12-11-2014, 11:28 AM

You are again correct but the founding fathers knew that the best way to provide those services was to keep them as local as possible.

The federal government is the worse possible way to provide those services.

zelmo1234
12-11-2014, 11:29 AM

work for government (i.e., cops, teachers, firefighters, military, social workers, librarians, school janitors, judges, court reporters, bus drivers, etc)
take prescription medicine whose safety and effectiveness are regulated by the Food and Drug Administration
ever used food stamps
work for a company or nonprofit organization that has a contract with the local, county, state or federal government
have a family member who depends on a government-subsidized home health care aide
own a family- or corporate-owned farm that is irrigated by a government-owned dam
played baseball or soccer or used the see-saw or swings in a public park or playground
have a savings account in a bank regulated by the Federal Deposit insurance Corporation

How much of this could be done better and far cheaper at the local level?

Chris
12-11-2014, 11:40 AM
How much of this could be done better and far cheaper at the local level?

And privately.

Just because people depend on government isn't reason to believe it's a good thing.

People depend on each other, even in the market place cooperation is the rule. That's what's important. Government replacing society, the coercive replacing the voluntary, is not a good thing.

Chris
12-11-2014, 11:43 AM

ever used food stamps

Get that at Common Dreams: breaking news & views for the progressive community (http://www.commondreams.org/views/2013/06/22/hey-paul-ryan-we-all-depend-government-even-you-and-your-mom)?

Interesting, you insist we depend on government and demonstrate that by depending on a private organization.

Cthulhu
12-11-2014, 12:15 PM
And privately.

Just because people depend on government isn't reason to believe it's a good thing.

People depend on each other, even in the market place cooperation is the rule. That's what's important. Government replacing society, the coercive replacing the voluntary, is not a good thing.
Mostly what I was thinking, if Walmart knew it could get more business by building a road, or a wheelchair ramp, they would.

Sent from my evil cell phone.

Chris
12-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Mostly what I was thinking, if Walmart knew it could get more business by building a road, or a wheelchair ramp, they would.

Walmart, like most businesses these days, is smart enough to know it can get government to spend our money on those roads to its doors. Works because as polly argued about games, it's only pennies per person. --Of course try and pay government in pennies....

Cthulhu
12-11-2014, 12:48 PM
I, like most businesses these days, is smart enough to know it can get government to spend our money on those roads to its doors. Works because as polly argued about games, it's only pennies per person. --Of course try and pay government in pennies....
In theory you should be able to.

But then there are those ignorant bastards at the Rexburg PD...

Sent from my evil cell phone.

hanger4
12-11-2014, 12:51 PM
That would save us how much? Education is funded mostly at the state/local level.

So the Edu. Dept. Is useful how ?? nic34 the Edu. Dept provides what ??

nic34
12-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Get that at Common Dreams: breaking news & views for the progressive community (http://www.commondreams.org/views/2013/06/22/hey-paul-ryan-we-all-depend-government-even-you-and-your-mom)?

Interesting, you insist we depend on government and demonstrate that by depending on a private organization.

Yes, a piece by Peter Dreier..... your point?

Do you believe that government and private organizations can't exist at the same time?

This is getting comical.

GrassrootsConservative
12-11-2014, 01:41 PM

Maybe they should stop being so dependent on the government. I would be happy as a pig in shit not to pay $1,800 annually to the government in property taxes for being a successful American citizen if they were to shut down. The government can eat my chocolate starfish.

/Edit: Anyone who needs them and supports them taking my money to feed their gaping maw can do the same.

Chris
12-11-2014, 01:48 PM

Do you believe that government and private organizations can't exist at the same time?

This is getting comical.

Point? Credit your sources.

Agree, your question was comical. Of course they can, and they seem to thrive from the collusion.

PolWatch
12-11-2014, 01:58 PM
And you see no problem with them being involved in every aspect of your life?

That is exactly what the problem is.

could you show me where I said this is a good thing? IF you had read my posts, you would have realized I was pointing out that government is involved in our lives, whether we notice it or not. I seem to recall that your income is involved with making sure the status quo is not disturbed, so I can understand why you would think this is a good thing.

Mr. Freeze
12-11-2014, 02:28 PM

This is getting comical.

They can exist at the same time, but at the same time all of those items listed can be produced outside of government. None of them require elite skills and all of them are mutually beneficial for corporations, as well as, private citizens. If a company needs a road to get customers or employees to its doors, it would pay for it.

Right now we're subsidizing roads for corporations. Think about that.

zelmo1234
12-11-2014, 02:58 PM
could you show me where I said this is a good thing? IF you had read my posts, you would have realized I was pointing out that government is involved in our lives, whether we notice it or not. I seem to recall that your income is involved with making sure the status quo is not disturbed, so I can understand why you would think this is a good thing.

How is selling homes and providing security and distribution of Appliances, involved with that status quo?

I would like to change back to federalism not the crap that they are trying to sell in DC today

PolWatch
12-11-2014, 03:32 PM
I thought you had been involved with training and providing private contractors for security work...guess that was someone else.

zelmo1234
12-11-2014, 03:37 PM
I thought you had been involved with training and providing private contractors for security work...guess that was someone else.

Yes But mostly for local police forces, the military training was a long time ago. I sold that company for a boat load to a competitor some years back!

But you make a wonderful point! Why is our government paying 100 times the amount to have private contractors do the training? You see this is again part of the problem

The government is out of control. I make no apologies for them hiring me to do something that they did not feel they could do themselves. They were a customer. Just like the private companies are customers.

Is that taking Government money? Sure it is, but would I trade it for a 10% corporate tax rate? You bet I would

nic34
12-11-2014, 03:39 PM
They can exist at the same time, but at the same time all of those items listed can be produced outside of government. None of them require elite skills and all of them are mutually beneficial for corporations, as well as, private citizens. If a company needs a road to get customers or employees to its doors, it would pay for it.

Right now we're subsidizing roads for corporations. Think about that.

At least we all get to use those roads.

Or would it be better if corporations built their own, then charge us toll every time we used it?

Green Arrow
12-11-2014, 05:28 PM

How many planes have gone down during shutdowns?

My kids would never go without lunch.

Peter1469
12-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Government employees deemed essential still work. That includes the air traffic controllers.

Safety
12-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Government employees deemed essential still work. That includes the air traffic controllers.

Yea, the sucky part is, you have to work and you won't get paid until congress passes a bill. It sucks.

Peter1469
12-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Yea, the sucky part is, you have to work and you won't get paid until congress passes a bill. It sucks.

And the ones that don't work get paid too. Although there is no legal requirement for that. It has never not happened.

Safety
12-11-2014, 06:18 PM
And the ones that don't work get paid too. Although there is no legal requirement for that. It has never not happened.

Yea, the non-essential (admins, payroll, etc.) all pretty much get a paid vacation. However, that is not law, and it is up to congress to approve it every time.

Howey
12-11-2014, 06:30 PM

Yea, the non-essential (admins, payroll, etc.) all pretty much get a paid vacation. However, that is not law, and it is up to congress to approve it every time.

Huh? I've got a friend who works for the Civil Service in NJ who was furloughed without pay for the entirety of the last shutdown. If you have enough accumulated leave, fine. If not, you're screwed. And those who worked did so voluntarily.

Peter1469
12-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Huh? I've got a friend who works for the Civil Service in NJ who was furloughed without pay for the entirety of the last shutdown. If you have enough accumulated leave, fine. If not, you're screwed. And those who worked did so voluntarily.

Safety and I were talking about the federal level. However, DoD did furlough their civilians last year. 9-12 days or something like that.

Common Sense
12-11-2014, 06:50 PM
The last government shutdown ended up costing the govt $2 billion in payroll costs of furloughed employee salaries.

Plus many other costs...

www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL34680.pdf

Chris
12-11-2014, 06:57 PM
The last government shutdown ended up costing the govt $2 billion in payroll costs of furloughed employee salaries.

Plus many other costs...

www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL34680.pdf

Certainly how Obama and liberal progressives spun it.

But this is the broken window fallacy in reverse. That $2B that wan't spent wasn't lost, it was spent elsewhere.

Common Sense
12-11-2014, 07:00 PM
Certainly how Obama and liberal progressives spun it.

But this is the broken window fallacy in reverse. That $2B that wan't spent wasn't lost, it was spent elsewhere.

It was from a report from the CRS (Congressional Research Service).

Peter1469
12-11-2014, 07:14 PM
No federal employee was furloughed during the last government shutdown. Many did not work and they got paid as if they did work.

DoD sequestered many if not all of their civilian employees because of sequestration. Two different events.

Plus many other costs...

www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL34680.pdf (http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL34680.pdf)

Peter1469
12-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Cost come with contracts and their expenses dealing with the shut down. Unless they are adding salaries of feds who didn't work into their numbers.

Professor Peabody
12-11-2014, 07:29 PM

I never noticed the difference last time.

Peter1469
12-11-2014, 07:33 PM

Most won't. Because they keep a skeleton staff on.

Some people who noticed were WWII vets trying to visit the WWII memorial. Which is an open air memorial and which does not have staff and which is not roped off on federal holidays. But that was a political stuff from Obama to the American people.

PolWatch
12-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Most won't. Because they keep a skeleton staff on.

Some people who noticed were WWII vets trying to visit the WWII memorial. Which is an open air memorial and which does not have staff and which is not roped off on federal holidays. But that was a political stuff from Obama to the American people.

it wasn't political when the repubs were there asking the park ranger if she wasn't ashamed to turn these poor vets away?

Peter1469
12-11-2014, 07:37 PM
it wasn't political when the repubs were there asking the park ranger if she wasn't ashamed to turn these poor vets away?

The park rangers should never have roped the place off. It is never done. I can go to the WWII memorial right now. I can go at midnight. I can go on X-mass day. Same with the Lincoln Memorial. Except the gift shop and public restrooms will be locked. But I can walk around inside.

Safety
12-11-2014, 07:40 PM

Really? Cause I swear there were many many threads by a poster with the same name on PF that was bitching and complaining how the monument, national parks, and the memorial were closed. I guess I was imagining things....

PolWatch
12-11-2014, 07:42 PM
The park rangers should never have roped the place off. It is never done. I can go to the WWII memorial right now. I can go at midnight. I can go on X-mass day. Same with the Lincoln Memorial. Except the gift shop and public restrooms will be locked. But I can walk around inside.

I don't know about when they can be visited...but the repub giving the park ranger a hard time was there for the politics...the same reason the ropes were there...no difference.

Peter1469
12-11-2014, 07:50 PM
I don't know about when they can be visited...but the repub giving the park ranger a hard time was there for the politics...the same reason the ropes were there...no difference.

The Repub was there for the cameras. Sure. The park police were there to carry out a once in a life time order based on vain politics.

PolWatch
12-11-2014, 07:52 PM
sometimes I think all politicians are like Pavlov's dogs...instead of a bell, let 'em see a camera & watch 'em start to salivate.

Peter1469
12-11-2014, 07:54 PM
That is true too.

Common Sense
12-11-2014, 07:56 PM

The rationale given is that the memorials need protection as they have been vandalized before. That's why access was cut off. The orders came from congress.

Howey
12-11-2014, 08:45 PM

The Repub was there for the cameras. Sure. The park police were there to carry out a once in a life time order based on vain politics.

If I remember he was sent by Breitbart.

Peter1469
12-11-2014, 09:03 PM
If I remember he was sent by Breitbart.

That is looking at a traffic violation while the bank is being robbed. What is wrong with you.

zelmo1234
12-11-2014, 09:04 PM
How many planes have gone down during shutdowns?

My kids would never go without lunch.

You can't feed your own kids!!!! that is the Governments job, shame on you! :)

zelmo1234
12-11-2014, 09:08 PM

She should have been because the only reason they did it was to hurt the vets

Redrose
12-11-2014, 09:15 PM

It's all for show, nothing more. If it went by quietly, no one could score any political points. They make a big deal out of it to make themselves look good and slam the other side. Both parties do it.

At the IRS, when the gov't. shut down, we were all sent home. We loved it. It was a paid vacation. A couple of days later we were all called back, and pay was retro.

It's no biggie.

Mac-7
12-12-2014, 02:05 AM
The rationale given is that the memorials need protection as they have been vandalized before. That's why access was cut off. The orders came from congress.

Spoken like a clueless Canadian.

The memorials are under obumers direct control.

Howey
12-12-2014, 06:30 AM

Spoken like a clueless Canadian.

The memorials are under obumers direct control.

No. They are under the control of the National park service. And congress shut them down.
I'd like to remind you we don't insult others here.

Mac-7
12-12-2014, 06:33 AM
No. They are under the control of the National park service. And congress shut them down.

The National a Park Service is in the executive branch of government.

obumer controls the day to day operation not congress.

donttread
12-12-2014, 07:21 AM

I personally believe, government shutdown is preferable to whatever the hell they call what they do when they are not shutdown.

donttread
12-12-2014, 07:32 AM

Funny it never seems to effect "real American Politicians" though ain't it?

Bo-4
12-12-2014, 12:08 PM

The last one (thanks TeaTed) cost us 24 billion after credit downgrade. In my world, that's a BFD.

Chris
12-12-2014, 02:17 PM
The last one (thanks TeaTed) cost us 24 billion after credit downgrade. In my world, that's a BFD.

How do you figure $24B was lost when it was just spent elsewhere. Just a reverse broken window fallacy.

donttread
12-12-2014, 03:25 PM

Credit downgrades are the only thing that can stop the Donkephant spending spree! Well technically the people could but they lack two necessary requirements
1) A set and
2) A clue
So getting the credit card cut up is pretty much our only current hope.

Mac-7
12-12-2014, 05:06 PM

Obama closed the government last time even though the pro Obama lib news media convinced ignorant Americans that Cruz did it.

Safety
12-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Obama closed the government last time even though the pro Obama lib news media convinced ignorant Americans that Cruz did it.

Don't fart and then blame the dog, Mac.

http://youtu.be/MIQu7IJ_dbs

Mac-7
12-12-2014, 06:22 PM
Don't fart and then blame the dog, Mac.

http://youtu.be/MIQu7IJ_dbs

The Republican house presented a budget that funded the government and Reid/Obama rejected it.

PolWatch
12-12-2014, 06:24 PM
I loved how the repubs bragged they were gonna do it, the night it was done they were dancing in the halls, the next day they were soooo proud...until the poll results started coming in. When they figured out that most Americans did not admire their actions, it suddenly became the dems fault.

Mac-7
12-12-2014, 06:26 PM
I loved how the repubs bragged they were gonna do it, the night it was done they were dancing in the halls, the next day they were soooo proud...until the poll results started coming in. When they figured out that most Americans did not admire their actions, it suddenly became the dems fault.

Repubs were happy for the chance to delay or completely stop ObamaCare.

Considering what a disaster it has been that was an excellent idea.

Safety
12-12-2014, 06:28 PM

F'kin, A.

When the polls showed the public didn't like the shutdown, the GOP turned into how some of the conservatives act here, playing the victim.

12 hours before the shutdown..."we are taking a stand, we will shut the government down!"

After the shutdown...."we didn't cause the shutdown, Obama did"

Howey
12-12-2014, 06:30 PM
The Republican house presented a budget that funded the government and Reid/Obama rejected it.

If only they had presented a budget that would get approved...

This is the problem with Republicans. They can present a bill all they want, but if there's no chance of it getting passed why do it?

Safety
12-12-2014, 06:34 PM

This is the problem with Republicans. They can present a bill all they want, but if there's no chance of it getting passed why do it?

Because they know they have "useful idiots" that go on political forums and say
The Republican house presented a budget that funded the government and Reid/Obama rejected it. to try and pretend the GOP was against it from the beginning.

Mac-7
12-12-2014, 06:36 PM

You mean letting obumer write the budget for the repub house to pass?

Mac-7
12-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Because they know they have "useful idiots" that go on political forums and say to try and pretend the GOP was against it from the beginning.

Obama smacked you with a great big Gruber and you believed him.

Safety
12-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Obama smacked you with a great big Gruber and you believed him.

Switch to decaf Mac.

Bo-4
12-12-2014, 08:07 PM
How do you figure $24B was lost when it was just spent elsewhere. Just a reverse broken window fallacy.

Uh Huh.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-z9mo8bSmg4I/ThnOeGyFr2I/AAAAAAAAAng/RQtQue57Dek/s400/blocs.tinet.catblog.jpg

Peter1469
12-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Did you understand the words that Chris typed? Your post indicates that you did not.

Uh Huh.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-z9mo8bSmg4I/ThnOeGyFr2I/AAAAAAAAAng/RQtQue57Dek/s400/blocs.tinet.catblog.jpg

Bob
12-12-2014, 08:24 PM

There was no shut down. You just got fooled.

Bob
12-12-2014, 08:38 PM
PolWatch

The more you post, the more I understand just how much you are devoted to Democrats.

A surprise a minite. (spelled for hill billies)

PolWatch
12-12-2014, 08:45 PM
@PolWatch (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1099)

The more you post, the more I understand just how much you are devoted to Democrats.

A surprise a minite. (spelled for hill billies)

I'm not surprised...you think anyone who doesn't worship all things repub is a dem. However, the more I see of partisan repubs, the less I like them....who knows, maybe you will be successful in getting me to join the democrats eventually.

Bo-4
12-12-2014, 08:47 PM

We got a credit downgrade.. did you hear? And all for NAUGHT other than TeaWad masturbation.

And oh, Geraldo is one of YOURS now. :D

Did you get your $70 refund from TeaTed yet?

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2013/10/21/geraldo-rivera-wants-send-ted-cruz-bill-23-billion-shutdown-cost-estimat

Paperback Writer
12-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Here's the mind blower-mate, who gives you the credit downgrade and who holds their bonds?

Bo-4
12-12-2014, 08:53 PM
Did you understand the words that Chris typed? Your post indicates that you did not.

Oh yes i did, TOTALLY.. did YOU understand or DO you understand what any hint on default of full faith and credit means Peter?

I think not..

Bo-4
12-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Credit downgrades are the only thing that can stop the Donkephant spending spree! Well technically the people could but they lack two necessary requirements
1) A set and
2) A clue
So getting the credit card cut up is pretty much our only current hope.

WoW, dumb response #12 in this thread alone.

Do continue and SHUT-er-DOWN!!

Bo-4
12-12-2014, 08:58 PM
There was no shut down. You just got fooled.

Cool, tell it to S&P as well as the US public who blamed YOUR idiots by a HUGE percentage.

Yes i know, get cocky about the last election. Temporary Gomer.

PolWatch
12-12-2014, 08:58 PM
While reading articles on realclearpolitics, I ran across this...The comparison to 'Ruthless People' is priceless!

The Washington Examiner's Sean Higgins compared (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2536665) the 2013 shutdown to the 1986 Danny DeVito film Ruthless People. In the movie, DeVito's wife is abducted by kidnappers expecting a ransom. What they don't realize is that DeVito hates his wife and had intended to kill her himself, making him unlikely to pay the ransom.
"That is the flaw in [Ted] Cruz's defund strategy," Higgins wrote. "He is trying to threaten the Democrats with something that they are not only unafraid of, but with something that they really, really want."
The Cruz-inspired shutdown did not, in fact, end up defunding Obamacare. Instead, it distracted public attention from Obamacare's inept roll-out, where Republicans would have otherwise looked prescient in their objections to the health-care law.
Invariably, the shutdowns rally the Democratic base against the GOP. They turn off conflict-averse independents, who say they just want to get things done. Finally, when Republicans ultimately capitulate and reopen the government, their remaining conservative supporters are angry
http://nationalinterest.org/feature/the-gops-government-shutdown-dilemma-11841

Chris
12-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Uh Huh.

So, what, bo, the money is lost somewhere, like a hidden treasure to be found and dug up. Time to call Jack Sparrow, me hearties!

DO you know what the broken wind fallacy is?

Howey
12-12-2014, 09:00 PM
You mean letting obumer write the budget for the repub house to pass?

Did I say that?

Bob
12-12-2014, 09:03 PM
While reading articles on realclearpolitics, I ran across this...The comparison to 'Ruthless People' is priceless!

The Washington Examiner's Sean Higgins compared (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2536665) the 2013 shutdown to the 1986 Danny DeVito film Ruthless People. In the movie, DeVito's wife is abducted by kidnappers expecting a ransom. What they don't realize is that DeVito hates his wife and had intended to kill her himself, making him unlikely to pay the ransom.
"That is the flaw in [Ted] Cruz's defund strategy," Higgins wrote. "He is trying to threaten the Democrats with something that they are not only unafraid of, but with something that they really, really want."
The Cruz-inspired shutdown did not, in fact, end up defunding Obamacare. Instead, it distracted public attention from Obamacare's inept roll-out, where Republicans would have otherwise looked prescient in their objections to the health-care law.
Invariably, the shutdowns rally the Democratic base against the GOP. They turn off conflict-averse independents, who say they just want to get things done. Finally, when Republicans ultimately capitulate and reopen the government, their remaining conservative supporters are angry
http://nationalinterest.org/feature/the-gops-government-shutdown-dilemma-11841

Government never shut down.

Parks closed, but parks are not government.

Peter1469
12-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Oh yes i did, TOTALLY.. did YOU understand or DO you understand what any hint on default of full faith and credit means Peter?

I think not..

Incorrect. I do. Also, you do not.

What do you think QE was? Give me $100 today and next year this time I will pay you back $85 - deal? :shocked:

Additionally, the $18T+ debt that we have cannot be paid back politically (or realistically).

TrueBlue
12-12-2014, 09:34 PM
Repubs were happy for the chance to delay or completely stop ObamaCare.

Considering what a disaster it has been that was an excellent idea.
The fact of the matter is that Repubs have been spending almost every dime they have trying to tear down the Affordable Care Act. However, there are more Success stories about it than there are failures. The Affordable Care Act Is Working!

Want to see how? Here's how!

ACA Success

http://www.acasuccess.com/

ACA Facts

http://www.acasuccess.com/aca-facts/

Green Arrow
12-12-2014, 09:38 PM
TrueBlue, I can't afford health insurance on my own, and last time I checked I don't qualify for the subsidies, so I'm basically left with no insurance and a fine to pay on my already low income.

How is that supposed to help me?

zelmo1234
12-12-2014, 09:58 PM

Yes the public really punished them in the November elections Just think if they would not have shut the government down? They might of picked up 9 seats in the Senate? Oh wait, Never mind

TrueBlue
12-12-2014, 10:01 PM
@TrueBlue (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1308), I can't afford health insurance on my own, and last time I checked I don't qualify for the subsidies, so I'm basically left with no insurance and a fine to pay on my already low income. How is that supposed to help me?
Hi Green Arrow, Sorry to hear about your dire financial situation. And while I cannot offer any advice in that direction since it takes a certified or licensed professional which I am not, there is a great website you might wish to visit that contains lots of information that you might find worth reading.

What if I can't afford insurance under health care reform?
A guide to hardship exemptions

http://www.netquote.com/health-insurance/news/health-care-reform-hardship-exemptions.aspx

PolWatch
12-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Yes the public really punished them in the November elections Just think if they would not have shut the government down? They might of picked up 9 seats in the Senate? Oh wait, Never mind

do you really think that it had anything to do with the midterm results? how many people outside of those of us on the forum even remember the 2013 incident? I think people are disgusted with obama and the midterms were a rejection of him.

Kalkin
12-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Obamacare is finished. The mandates will be repealed by the next president and congress. Once that happens, it's just a shell of the marxist dream it was conceived to be.

Green Arrow
12-12-2014, 10:04 PM
Hi Green Arrow, Sorry to hear about your dire financial situation. And while I cannot offer any advice in that direction since it takes a certified or licensed professional which I am not, there is a great website you might wish to visit that contains lots of information that you might find worth reading.

What if I can't afford insurance under health care reform?
A guide to hardship exemptions

http://www.netquote.com/health-insurance/news/health-care-reform-hardship-exemptions.aspx

Thanks! I appreciate your very helpful response.

Bob
12-12-2014, 10:04 PM
ACA was supposed to fix health care, not cause Dr. Coburn to lose his cancer doctor. To force people to pay a lot more. It was supposed to get 60 million more insured, not 6 million. So many lost insurance the actual figure might be more or less than 6 million.

Green Arrow
12-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Obamacare is finished. The mandates will be repealed by the next president and congress. Once that happens, it's just a shell of the marxist dream it was conceived to be.

If the GOP is smart, they won't try a full repeal of Obamacare. They'll take the piecemeal approach. The problem with full repeal is it would leave even more people without insurance than there were before, and that will backfire on the GOP.

Bob
12-12-2014, 10:05 PM
do you really think that it had anything to do with the midterm results? how many people outside of those of us on the forum even remember the 2013 incident? I think people are disgusted with obama and the midterms were a rejection of him.

Even Reid is no longer sold on Obama.

Kalkin
12-12-2014, 10:09 PM
If the GOP is smart, they won't try a full repeal of Obamacare. They'll take the piecemeal approach. The problem with full repeal is it would leave even more people without insurance than there were before, and that will backfire on the GOP.
A full repeal isn't necessary (although I would certainly support such a move). The mandates are the most odious aspect, as well as the lynchpin that makes it somewhat financially feasible.

Green Arrow
12-12-2014, 10:13 PM
A full repeal isn't necessary (although I would certainly support such a move). The mandates are the most odious aspect, as well as the lynchpin that makes it somewhat financially feasible.

If they don't go for full repeal and repeal the mandates, they'll have to quickly introduce a new funding apparatus (at least temporarily, until it can be fixed) or our economy could crash from the strain.

It's not unlike defusing a bomb, really. Cut the wrong wire and the whole thing could blow.

PolWatch
12-12-2014, 10:14 PM
As far back as Jan 2014, repubs were discussing proposals for the revision of the ACA. Some of them have quietly admitted it can't/won't be repealed, but should be modified. The New England Journal of Medicine had an article about Orrin Hatch's proposal that was interesting.

Bob
12-12-2014, 10:16 PM

Let me try to paint a word picture.

Say the car has bald tires. Somebody says you fix it by gluing a bit of rubber on the bald tires.

That sucks. Somebody says, make a tweak. That won't work.

I am saying, the problem never was insurance. Sure, insurance had it's faults. Like how easy insurance companies can boot you off or refuse you for instance. Those fixes can take a few pages of law. But 3,000, no way.

So, what is the reason doctors and hospitals charge so much, compared to other countries.

1. Unions
2. Courts rulings
3. Government

Unions because they got so involved and it ran up prices.
Courts because it is easy to sue doctors, even though innocent, insurance companies pay.
Government because it got involved.

Bob
12-12-2014, 10:17 PM
As far back as Jan 2014, repubs were discussing proposals for the revision of the ACA. Some of them have quietly admitted it can't/won't be repealed, but should be modified. The New England Journal of Medicine had an article about Orrin Hatch's proposal that was interesting.

This law is so deeply flawed, only ripping it out and beginning to solve the real problems can have a chance.

Green Arrow
12-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Let me try to paint a word picture.

Let's not. Just make your point and be done with it. Like this:

Obamacare is a big handout to insurance companies. The single-payer plans put forward by Reps. Dennis Kucinich (D, OH-10) and Anthony Weiner (D, NY-9) were much better options that the Democratic leadership killed.

Bob
12-12-2014, 10:21 PM
Let's not. Just make your point and be done with it. Like this:

Obamacare is a big handout to insurance companies. The single-payer plans put forward by Reps. Dennis Kucinich (D, OH-10) and Anthony Weiner (D, NY-9) were much better options that the Democratic leadership killed.

How long have you thought you are my boss?

Try backing up and coming again.

I gave the reasons health care is so expensive.

Once they comprehend why costs are high, solutions can be discussed.

Green Arrow
12-12-2014, 10:24 PM
How long have you thought you are my boss?

Since I got the green nametag and you didn't, but I'm not posting as a mod, so that's beside the point. I'm not trying to be your boss, just giving you a suggestion.

Try backing up and coming again.

I gave the reasons health care is so expensive.

Once they comprehend why costs are high, solutions can be discussed.

Why healthcare is expensive isn't germane to the topic. The topic is Obamacare and the logic of different repeal/repair approaches.

Mac-7
12-13-2014, 05:24 AM
Cool, tell it to S&P as well as the US public who blamed YOUR idiots by a HUGE percentage.

Yes i know, get $#@!y about the last election. Temporary Gomer.

The public only knows what pro Obama libs at MSNBC or the NY Times want them to know.

You were lied to to pass ObamaCare and you are still being lied to.

Mac-7
12-13-2014, 05:28 AM
Did I say that?

You implied that the repubs were only allowed to pass a budget that Dirty Harry and obumer APPROVED of.

But that's not how the three branches of government and the separation of powers are supposed to work.

Mac-7
12-13-2014, 05:31 AM
However, there are more Success stories about it than there are failures.

Bullshit.

obamacare raises the cost of health insurance for 280 million Americans who were already doing ok so that 10-20 million deadbeats can get free or government subsidized service.

Thats why Obama and Gruber had to tell all those lies to pass the bill.

donttread
12-13-2014, 08:07 AM

Common ground.