PDA

View Full Version : Reformed Strong Armed Robber, Victim Says He Deserves a Pardon

Alyosha
12-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Mark Wahlberg, ironically, has received a shitload of criticism from my favorite (not really) liberal gossip site for punching an Asian shopkeeper when he was 16 and calling him a "fucking Vietnamese". The site has repeatedly said that he blinded the guy and that he shouldn't have gotten away with it and is a huge asshole basically. I wonder if they'll apologize (Celebitchy) now that the shopkeeper has stated that Wahlberg didn't blind him.

Here is what the man he beat says:

For the past 26 years Hollywood superstar Mark Wahlberg has believed he left a Vietnamese man blind in one eye after brutally assaulting him during his wayward teenage years.

He spent 45 days in jail for the attack but has now made a plea for the crime to be pardoned having turned his life around to become one of the most famous actors in the world.

His victim has never spoken about the vicious assault in 1988 but has broken a more than two decade long silence to reveal that the actor did not actually cause him any serious harm - and that until he was told by MailOnline, he had no idea his assailant had become a famous actor.

In his first ever interview since the attack Johnny Trinh revealed to Mail Online he was already blind in one eye after being injured while fighting the Communists in the Vietnam War.

While Wahlberg's unprovoked assault left him shaken it did not cause any lasting damage.

'I was not blinded by Mark Wahlberg,' said 59-year-old Vietnamese-born Trinh.

'He did hurt me, but my left eye was already gone. He was not responsible for that.'
In an exclusive interview with Mail Online Trinh said he is happy for Wahlberg to be given a pardon saying: 'He was young and reckless but I forgive him now. Everyone deserves another chance.

'I would like to see him get a pardon. He should not have the crime hanging over him any longer.'

Trinh added that he would like to meet Wahlberg face to face to tell him he does not bear a grudge.

'He paid for his crime when he went to prison. I am not saying that it did not hurt when he punched me in the face, but it was a long time ago.

'He has grown up now. I am sure he has his own family and is a responsible man.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2868589/Mark-Wahlberg-s-blinding-race-attack-victim-Johnny-Trinh-backs-bid-pardon-saying-course-forgive-didn-t-blind-Communist-Vietnamese-did-that.html#ixzz3LcvX8Qom
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=MailOnline) | DailyMail on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=DailyMail)

Wahlberg has started actual charities that actually help people (as opposed to vanity charities), but it probably doesn't matter because he's an every Sunday Catholic (we hate that today) and talks about it.

http://www.celebitchy.com/401935/mark_wahlberg_everyone_has_an_opinion_about_why_i_ want_a_pardon/

To the NY Daily News: “I’ve worked extremely hard for the last 27 years since I woke up sober and realized the horrible mistakes I had made and the horrible pain I had caused so many people Every single day I try to better myself as a person. This is not something I just decided to do overnight, two years later, well I’m a big celebrity so I should feel like I can do whatever I want. No, I’ve worked really hard to be a better person and to be a good influence on kids growing up in situations like mine.Why he wants a pardon now: “Everyone has an opinion and has a reason why they think I’m doing it. I’ve been working very hard to correct a lot of mistakes that I made since the day that I woke up and realized, ‘You know what? I need to be a leader instead of a follower.”
He’s not asking for special treatment:“In no way shape or form was I trying to use my celebrity or success to say, ‘Well, I feel entitled to get this because of the fame and fortune.’ Every day I wake up trying to be the best person I can be. I’ve worked really hard to be a positive influence for kids growing up in communities like mine who don’t really have a chance, and try to provide an opportunity for them to be more successful and that’s why I’m doing it.”
If the pardon isn’t granted: “Whether it happens or not, it won’t change how hard I’ve worked at becoming a better person. I will continue to do that whether the pardon is granted or not.”

The irony is that Michael Brown did the same thing and he's deserving of death and the belief that he'd have ended up in prison anyway by "certain people" and conversely the people who believe that Brown deserved a second chance to go to trade school and do something with his life don't want to give Mark any credit for actually changing his life.

He was 16. Even the victim says "enough" and that he finally wants to meet him.

Hope it happens.

del
12-11-2014, 04:39 PM
wait a minute

are you saying people can change for the better?

Alyosha
12-11-2014, 04:45 PM
wait a minute

are you saying people can change for the better?

Yes, we don't necessarily have to gun down strong arm robbers.

Howey
12-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Mark Wahlberg, ironically, has received a $#@!load of criticism from my favorite (not really) liberal gossip site for punching an Asian shopkeeper when he was 16 and calling him a "$#@!ing Vietnamese". The site has repeatedly said that he blinded the guy and that he shouldn't have gotten away with it and is a huge $#@! basically. I wonder if they'll apologize (Celebitchy) now that the shopkeeper has stated that Wahlberg didn't blind him.

Here is what the man he beat says:

Wahlberg has started actual charities that actually help people (as opposed to vanity charities), but it probably doesn't matter because he's an every Sunday Catholic (we hate that today) and talks about it.

http://www.celebitchy.com/401935/mark_wahlberg_everyone_has_an_opinion_about_why_i_ want_a_pardon/

The irony is that Michael Brown did the same thing and he's deserving of death and the belief that he'd have ended up in prison anyway by "certain people" and conversely the people who believe that Brown deserved a second chance to go to trade school and do something with his life don't want to give Mark any credit for actually changing his life.

He was 16. Even the victim says "enough" and that he finally wants to meet him.

Hope it happens.

Kids do stupid stuff. Then they grow up. I doubt any of us hasn't done something dumb when they were kids. Did we deserve to be gunned down in cold blood?

Polecat
12-11-2014, 04:49 PM
To forgive is divine.

Safety
12-11-2014, 04:50 PM
Kids do stupid stuff. Then they grow up. I doubt any of us hasn't done something dumb when they were kids. Did we deserve to be gunned down in cold blood?

Some here seem to want to cull the herd....

Alyosha
12-11-2014, 04:50 PM

He didn't use a gun in the robbery, and when he was allegedly a demon hulking out on the cop with one arm he didn't shoot him, either.

Anyway...I wouldn't have had Brown over my house for dinner or anything. I'd be afraid he push me down for a bag of chips, but I still don't believe it was necessary for the cop to kill him.

Safety
12-11-2014, 04:52 PM
To forgive is divine.

What is...."to err is human?"

Crappy rappers for $1000, Alex!

PolWatch
12-11-2014, 04:52 PM
Its good to see that people can change their lives. They can end up being a positive influence to help others change...if they are alive to try.

Polecat
12-11-2014, 04:56 PM
What is...."to err is human?"

Crappy rappers for $1000, Alex!
You don't like my rhyme just say so. <<drop mic on floor>>

Safety
12-11-2014, 04:58 PM
You don't like my rhyme just say so. <<drop mic on floor>>

the crappy rapper part was directed towards Walberg. Marky Mark and the Funky bunch.

Polecat
12-11-2014, 04:59 PM
the crappy rapper part was directed towards Walberg. Marky Mark and the Funky bunch.

I missed that one. Lucky me eh?

momsapplepie
12-11-2014, 07:27 PM
If Brown hadn't resisted arrest, he would still be alive. It's that simple.

del
12-11-2014, 07:28 PM
resisting arrest should certainly be a capital offense

Peter1469
12-11-2014, 07:31 PM
If Brown hadn't resisted arrest, he would still be alive. It's that simple.

If the cop knew simple self defense that I could teach a 100 pound woman, Big Mike wouldn't have had to get shot.

momsapplepie
12-11-2014, 07:34 PM
If he hadn't resisted arrest he would still be alive. It's not a matter of handling anyone. He is the one who started down the trail to his own demise.

Peter1469
12-11-2014, 07:40 PM
If he hadn't resisted arrest he would still be alive. It's not a matter of handling anyone. He is the one who started down the trail to his own demise.

I know it wasn't illegal for the cop to gun Big Mike down. It is just a shame that his training or confidence was sub-par. Legally he is clear. But society ought to have better cops.

Mr. Freeze
12-11-2014, 09:00 PM

Criminals resist arrest. They're criminals. If they were law abiding citizens they wouldn't be committing crimes in the first place. Since when did we expect someone who just robbed a store to come along quietly because they were told to by a man with a badge? This is just basic logic at work that criminals will resist being brought to justice. For some reason people are ignoring that giant elephant in the room for whatever (most likely political) reasons.

Police are trained to arrest people who resist arrest. That's why they're beat cops and not riding the desk or dispatch line. Resisting arrest should only end in death when the person resisting has a gun or knife they are using on the cop. Those that can't manage to bring in an unarmed man should not be out on the street as police officers since it is a requirement and function of their job.

How far would I have gotten in my career if I couldn't answer all of my client's questions as a subject matter expert?

I thought in America we rewarded success and disciplined failure. Guess not.

Mr. Freeze
12-11-2014, 09:02 PM
Oh and Boogie Nights was a fucking excellent movie.

Don
12-11-2014, 09:17 PM
If Mark Wahlberg had attacked a police officer after he assaulted the Vietnamese guy he might very well have been shot. That aside, I don't have a problem with people being able to have their records cleared for things they did when they were young. Maybe the records could be cleared for purposes of background checks but still be there to be used in case the person commits more violent crimes that would otherwise be considered first offenses. I also would like to see any conviction records stand for 10 years before we allow someone to have them cleared. That gives them a chance to prove they have changed.

Mr. Freeze
12-11-2014, 09:52 PM
If Mark Wahlberg had attacked a police officer after he assaulted the Vietnamese guy he might very well have been shot.

That's true. Police probably would have shot him even though he had no weapon. That's how they roll. I'm going to stop taking those IRS classes every year and the next time a client asks me a tax question I'll just tell them that I can't be expected to know everything. I'm just a CPA.

Dr. Who
12-11-2014, 11:01 PM
Clearly, if all people behaved appropriately we wouldn't need police, but there are degrees of inappropriate behavior, something that we should be able to count on our police forces to deal with without undue violence and death. Killing teenagers who don't know their butt from a hole in the ground shouldn't be necessary with a well trained and operated police force. If Wilson were properly trained, or at least had a partner, this would have been completely unnecessary. It would seem that people are dying because it's too expensive to properly equip the police through training and/or adequate personnel.

PolWatch
12-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Every day thousands of people are arrested in this country. I suspect several of them resist arrest or try to escape. The officers on those arrests somehow manage to handle the situations without lethal force and go home to their families at night. I would think the number of successful arrests of a live suspect greatly outnumber the deaths. Why are people so quick to justify the cops who fail at doing their job? I hear so many people saying the suspects are responsible for their actions, why are the cops not held accountable for their actions also?

Mr. Freeze
12-11-2014, 11:51 PM
Every day thousands of people are arrested in this country. I suspect several of them resist arrest or try to escape. The officers on those arrests somehow manage to handle the situations without lethal force and go home to their families at night. I would think the number of successful arrests of a live suspect greatly outnumber the deaths. Why are people so quick to justify the cops who fail at doing their job? I hear so many people saying the suspects are responsible for their actions, why are the cops not held accountable for their actions also?

Because they are super agents of the state for one and because people want an excuse for racism is another. If cops are shooting blacks then what they thought about blacks must be true.

That's not everyone but a lot of them.

PolWatch
12-11-2014, 11:55 PM
If we allow this to continue, questionable shootings will be coming to a neighborhood near us all in the future...no matter race or income.

Mr. Freeze
12-11-2014, 11:57 PM
If we allow this to continue, questionable shootings will be coming to a neighborhood near us all in the future...no matter race or income.

They already are. Poor white people are shot too. They just don't make the papers because blacks aren't that interested and whites have their heads stuffed into a sand hole in the ground.

Paperback Writer
12-12-2014, 10:17 AM
Yes, everyone has the opportunity to overcome their life of crime and become a fabulously wealthy movie star. I was saying that just the other day.

southwest88
12-12-2014, 12:27 PM
I know it wasn't illegal for the cop to gun Big Mike down. It is just a shame that his training or confidence was sub-par. Legally he is clear. But society ought to have better cops.

(My bold)

Yah, but I'm afraid it's like the old saw about government:

"In a democracy, people get the government they deserve," and often attributed to Alexis de Toqueville. But it's hard to pin it down.

Yah, the police & military & criminal justice system in general are meant to serve & protect the public. The problem being, as the budgets for these run on property taxes (usually), then property owners tend to be defined as the public. Once the police understand that their job is to protect the property owners, you get a lot of distortions of the police system, & criminal justice. It is fixable, but like public education, state infrastructure, lots of things, really - it takes a long time & persistent effort & money to bring these critters back into line with something acceptable to the majority of the citizens.

& note that it's majority - we're never going to have everyone 100% happy with the police, or public education, or a lot of other topics. That's not the goal, except in a kind of nebulous way - a guidepost but without much hope of ever actually getting there. Good enough is doable, & that should be our immediate goal - with the understanding that even once you reach it, you still have to keep an eye on execution, & procedures, & training, & all the boring bits. Sorry.