PDA

View Full Version : Surrender to cyber terror

Peter1469
12-17-2014, 08:54 PM
Many are calling Sony's decision to pull the premiere of a movie over threats associated with a complex cyber attack to be America's first cyber war loss. (http://www.nationaljournal.com/tech/major-movie-theaters-cancel-release-of-the-interview-amid-sony-hack-fears-20141217)

That is sort of silly. First, the target was a business, not the government. The business makes business decisions, not war strategy. Considering that acts of terrorism are not covered by insurers (without a special (expensive) rider policy) perhaps Sony made the best business decision. We are already seeing businesses ask the government to step in to fill the void left by insurance companies. The NFL wants the government to cover them in case the Superbowl is attack and there is talk that without a deal there will be no Superbowl. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2873881/The-insurance-catch-CANCEL-Superbowl-unless-congress-acts-end-year.html)

I say no tax payer bailout of NFL risk. They make plenty of money.

PolWatch
12-17-2014, 08:57 PM
When the taxpayers end up on the hook to protect the profits of the NFL, I'll know the world has gone crazy for sure. I'm not saying I'll be surprised...just that any doubt has been removed.

sachem
12-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Many are calling Sony's decision to pull the premiere of a movie over threats associated with a complex cyber attack to be America's first cyber war loss. (http://www.nationaljournal.com/tech/major-movie-theaters-cancel-release-of-the-interview-amid-sony-hack-fears-20141217)

That is sort of silly. First, the target was a business, not the government. The business makes business decisions, not war strategy. Considering that acts of terrorism are not covered by insurers (without a special (expensive) rider policy) perhaps Sony made the best business decision. We are already seeing businesses ask the government to step in to fill the void left by insurance companies. The NFL wants the government to cover them in case the Superbowl is attack and there is talk that without a deal there will be no Superbowl. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2873881/The-insurance-catch-CANCEL-Superbowl-unless-congress-acts-end-year.html)

I say no tax payer bailout of NFL risk. They make plenty of money.Screw the NFL. They have more money than gawd.

del
12-17-2014, 09:04 PM

I say no tax payer bailout of NFL risk. They make plenty of money.

taxpayers are already bailing out the nfl due to their 501(c)6 nonprofit status

fuck them

Captain Obvious
12-17-2014, 09:09 PM
taxpayers are already bailing out the nfl due to their 501(c)6 nonprofit status

fuck them

The NFL parent corp is a tax exempt entity, the majority of revenues (ticket sales, TV revenues, merchandise sales, etc.) are that of the individual teams which pay taxes on those revenues.

Only a small portion of the NFL's total revenue is tax exempt.

PolWatch
12-17-2014, 09:10 PM
whew! I was fixin to storm a stadium...don't matter which one...any would do!

del
12-17-2014, 09:15 PM
The NFL parent corp is a tax exempt entity, the majority of revenues (ticket sales, TV revenues, merchandise sales, etc.) are that of the individual teams which pay taxes on those revenues.

you misspelled too much

Captain Obvious
12-17-2014, 09:17 PM
you misspelled too much

I don't disagree, how a pro sports parent corp qualifies as a charity is beyond me.

As a fellow taxpayer just be thankful for teams like the Steelers who probably sell the most merchandise, tickets and pay the most tax.

Your home street should be named Art Rooney Way.

Dangermouse
12-17-2014, 09:17 PM
Think of those other turkeys the hackers could have saved us from!

sachem
12-17-2014, 09:38 PM
I don't disagree, how a pro sports parent corp qualifies as a charity is beyond me.

As a fellow taxpayer just be thankful for teams like the Steelers who probably sell the most merchandise, tickets and pay the most tax.

Your home street should be named Art Rooney Way.Patriots Drive. ;)

Crepitus
12-17-2014, 09:47 PM

Doesn't matter IMO. I find it obscene that any part of it qualifies as a charity.

Peter1469
12-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Sony, in its statement, said it had "been the victim of an unprecedented criminal assault against our employees, our customers, and our business."

"Those who attacked us stole our intellectual property, private emails, and sensitive and proprietary material, and sought to destroy our spirit and our morale—all apparently to thwart the release of a movie they did not like," the statement continued. "We are deeply saddened at this brazen effort to suppress the distribution of a movie, and in the process do damage to our company, our employees, and the American public."

Captain Obvious
12-17-2014, 09:53 PM
Patriots Drive. ;)

http://s.myniceprofile.com/myspacepic/106/10625.gif

sachem
12-17-2014, 09:58 PM
http://s.myniceprofile.com/myspacepic/106/10625.gifYou are soooooo bad.

Captain Obvious
12-17-2014, 10:01 PM
You are soooooo bad.

My karma is funny though, I googled "pissing on patriots" wondering if something really hairy would pop up - first thing a gif of a patriot pissing on a Steeler's helmet.

I had to scroll down a line or two to find this one.

sachem
12-17-2014, 10:04 PM
My karma is funny though, I googled "pissing on patriots" wondering if something really hairy would pop up - first thing a gif of a patriot pissing on a Steeler's helmet.

I had to scroll down a line or two to find this one.:D

del
12-17-2014, 10:28 PM

Your home street should be named Art Rooney Way.

yeah, i'm sure they pay more than the patriots

chiselers

Captain Obvious
12-17-2014, 10:29 PM
yeah, i'm sure they pay more than the patriots

chiselers

Oral favors from Kraft to Goodell don't count.

del
12-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Oral favors from Kraft to Goodell don't count.

i wouldn't cross the street to piss on bob kraft

Captain Obvious
12-17-2014, 10:34 PM
i wouldn't cross the street to piss on bob kraft

shit...

sachem
12-17-2014, 10:40 PM
i wouldn't cross the street to piss on bob kraftI maybe wouldn't go that far, but he is no Saint Bob as they all seem to say. Remember when he made the deal to move the team because MA wouldn't give him a new stadium?

del
12-17-2014, 10:44 PM
I maybe wouldn't go that far, but he is no Saint Bob as they all seem to say. Remember when he made the deal to move the team because MA wouldn't give him a new stadium?

yeah, i also remember when he tried to get the state to pay a few million to build a pedestrian bridge over rt 1.

he made his money the old fashioned way; he married it

sachem
12-17-2014, 10:53 PM
yeah, i also remember when he tried to get the state to pay a few million to build a pedestrian bridge over rt 1.

he made his money the old fashioned way; he married it:D

Peter1469
12-17-2014, 10:58 PM
"The cyber attack is very serious. We're investigating, we're taking it seriously," Obama said during the interview. "We'll be vigilant, if we see something that we think is serious and credible, then we'll alert the public. But for now, my recommendation would be that people go to the movies."

We have the PM feature for people who want to chit chat.

del
12-17-2014, 11:05 PM
We have the PM feature for people who want to chit chat.

that's nice