PDA

View Full Version : They Just Don't Care Who Buys Guns!

Howey
12-19-2014, 01:27 PM
This is the NRA mentality. They don't care who has guns.

US appeals court deems gun law unconstitutional Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/12/19/us-appeals-court-deems-gun-law-unconstitutional/)

US appeals court deems gun law unconstitutional

A federal appeals court in Cincinnati deemed a law unconstitutional that kept a Michigan man who was committed to a mental institution from owning a gun.

The three-judge panel of the Sixth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously ruled that a federal ban on gun ownership for those who have been committed to a mental institution violated the Second Amendment rights of 73-year-old Clifford Charles Tyler.

Tyler attempted to buy a gun and was denied on the grounds that he had been committed to a mental institution in 1986 after suffering emotional problems stemming from a divorce. He was only in there for a month.

Tyler’s lawyer, Lucas McCarthy, hopes that the ruling would have a “significant impact on the jurisprudence in the area of gun rights.”

Cthulhu
12-19-2014, 01:34 PM

US appeals court deems gun law unconstitutional Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/12/19/us-appeals-court-deems-gun-law-unconstitutional/)

A federal appeals court in Cincinnati deemed a law unconstitutional that kept a Michigan man who was committed to a mental institution from owning a gun.

The three-judge panel of the Sixth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously ruled that a federal ban on gun ownership for those who have been committed to a mental institution violated the Second Amendment rights of 73-year-old Clifford Charles Tyler.

Tyler attempted to buy a gun and was denied on the grounds that he had been committed to a mental institution in 1986 after suffering emotional problems stemming from a divorce. He was only in there for a month.

Tyler’s lawyer, Lucas McCarthy, hopes that the ruling would have a “significant impact on the jurisprudence in the area of gun rights.”

Think about that.

Green Arrow
12-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Non-issue.

Crepitus
12-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Non-issue.
Not necessarily. Precedence.

Howey
12-19-2014, 01:45 PM
Think about that.

What I'm thinking about is that case now clears anyone released from a mental institution from having a gun and could allow convicted felons to buy one.

Not good.

Cthulhu
12-19-2014, 01:49 PM
What I'm thinking about is that case now clears anyone released from a mental institution from having a gun and could allow convicted felons to buy one.

Not good.

Don't felons deserve to have methods of self defense after having served their sentence? And if they are released from a mental institution aren't they better? If they still a danger to society, why let convicts or mental cases out?

Or are you saying that mental institutions and prisons don't actually correct the problem? Because if you are then I agree with you.

birddog
12-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Not a precedence! The NRA is in favor of dangerous mental cases being denied guns. New definitions may need to be developed, but that's all.

GrassrootsConservative
12-19-2014, 02:03 PM
Why do you want to take away his natural right to bear arms, enforced by the 2nd amendment?

PolWatch
12-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Don't felons deserve to have methods of self defense after having served their sentence? And if they are released from a mental institution aren't they better? If they still a danger to society, why let convicts or mental cases out?

Or are you saying that mental institutions and prisons don't actually correct the problem? Because if you are then I agree with you.

The only criteria for holding someone in a mental health facility is if they are an immediate threat to the safety of themselves or others. Release from a hospital doesn't mean they are healed...only that no one can make them stay there. If this cases sets precedence, then I wonder if they realize the new laws for gun ownership would require a complete psychiatric work-up to determine their current mental health and the possibility of that health deteriorating in the future. unintended consequences...

The Xl
12-19-2014, 02:24 PM

Not only that, but many people that are sent to both mental institutions and prison are sent there unfairly and under dubious circumstances all the time.

Fuck gun control. If guns are so bad, let the state lead by example and disarm first.

Alyosha
12-19-2014, 02:31 PM
http://statistslayers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/1471282_10153644848820515_291942636_n.jpg

Polecat
12-19-2014, 02:39 PM
I wonder how many guns Howey has.

Alyosha
12-19-2014, 02:41 PM
The man had a bad spell twenty years ago and can't have a gun now. That's some freedom right there! Hell yeh!

The Xl
12-19-2014, 02:44 PM
The man had a bad spell twenty years ago and can't have a gun now. That's some freedom right there! Hell yeh!

Mental problems don't even necessarily mean you have intentions to hurt anyone.

The globalists are trying really, really hard with this gun control shit. The only thing the country has left is limited gun rights and limited free speech, and even both of those are a shell of what they were. It's game over once those two freedoms are eradicated.

Alyosha
12-19-2014, 02:48 PM

The globalists are trying really, really hard with this gun control shit. The only thing the country has left is limited gun rights and limited free speech, and even both of those are a shell of what they were. It's game over once those two freedoms are eradicated.

You gotta disarm the populace in order to fully control it.

The Xl
12-19-2014, 02:51 PM
You gotta disarm the populace in order to fully control it.

Yep.

Gun rights are really the only good thing the psuedo con constituents are good for. I have to give them that. Nothing more, though.

Alyosha
12-19-2014, 02:53 PM
Yep.

Gun rights are really the only good thing the psuedo con constituents are good for. I have to give them that. Nothing more, though.

Yes, thank God they love their guns or we libertarians would be fucked.

Mac-7
12-19-2014, 07:15 PM
Not a precedence! The NRA is in favor of dangerous mental cases being denied guns. New definitions may need to be developed, but that's all.

The man spent a month in a mental hospital in 1986.

He hardly sounds like a dangerous person to me.

Howey
12-19-2014, 07:23 PM
A lot of you, Alyosha, aren't reading my point of the story. It's not this particular case, it's the impact it will have on other cases.

Not good.

What's the recidivism (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS599US599&es_sm=122&q=recidivism&spell=1&sa=X&ei=cMGUVOPOApGTNsCVhNgN&ved=0CBwQvwUoAA) rate for both?

Howey
12-19-2014, 07:25 PM

Not good.

A lot of you, @Alyosha (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=863), aren't reading my point of the story. It's not this particular case, it's the impact it will have on other cases.

What's the recidivism (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS599US599&es_sm=122&q=recidivism&spell=1&sa=X&ei=cMGUVOPOApGTNsCVhNgN&ved=0CBwQvwUoAA) rate for both?

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/09/recidivism_and_mental_illness_iowa_s_central_pharm acy_pilot_project_is_an.html

The latest government figures (http://www.nimh.nih.gov/statistics/1DOJ.shtml) suggest that more than half of all jail and prison inmates have mental health issues, a trend that holds true in Iowa. Much has been written about how our justice system fails the mentally ill, from how the police interact with mentally ill people in the first place (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/08/suicide_by_cop_the_dangerous_term_that_stops_us_fr om_asking_hard_questions.html) to how they’re treated while in prison (http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/4/8/mental-illness-prison.html). The mentally ill also face daunting problems upon their immediate release. Consider: A typical inmate who is being treated for mental illness is given a limited supply of medication upon leaving prison, typically between three and 30 days’ worth. Even the 30-day prescription an inmate receives in states like Iowa won’t buy nearly enough time for an ex-con to jump through all the necessary hoops to get a new prescription once he’s on the other side of the prison walls. The average waiting time to see a behavior health provider in Polk County, Iowa’s most populous county, is about three months, and the wait is likely longer for those who live in rural areas with fewer medical resources.

Alyosha
12-19-2014, 07:28 PM
A lot of you, @Alyosha (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=863), aren't reading my point of the story. It's not this particular case, it's the impact it will have on other cases.

Correct, which is why I'm happy about it. It's not that difficult to declare someone mentally ill. The diagnostics are far more suspect than those with regular medical ailments.

It wasn't that long ago that homosexuality was considered a mental illness and drug addiction wasn't, so forgive me if I'm skeptical of a bunch of people who change their minds about what's a disease or ailment every twenty years.

As for criminal activity, most of our criminal activity is drug offenders. That whole system is broken.

Cthulhu
12-19-2014, 08:49 PM

The globalists are trying really, really hard with this gun control $#@!. The only thing the country has left is limited gun rights and limited free speech, and even both of those are a shell of what they were. It's game over once those two freedoms are eradicated.
Don't forget about the 4th which largely symbolic now.

Sent from my evil cell phone.

Cthulhu
12-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Correct, which is why I'm happy about it. It's not that difficult to declare someone mentally ill. The diagnostics are far more suspect than those with regular medical ailments.

It wasn't that long ago that homosexuality was considered a mental illness and drug addiction wasn't, so forgive me if I'm skeptical of a bunch of people who change their minds about what's a disease or ailment every twenty years.

As for criminal activity, most of our criminal activity is drug offenders. That whole system is broken.

I am reminded about the "Thud" experiment done a while back in the field of psychology. Very interesting phenomenon in the profession. That guy made a lot of waves.

Cthulhu
12-19-2014, 09:06 PM

I can't help but notice you haven't answered a single question I posed.

Common
12-19-2014, 09:13 PM

Anyone with drug convictions should not buy a gun legally anyone who is deemed incompetent by a psychiatrist or has been in and out of mental facilities should not buy a gun legally. Anyone with a criminal record should not buy a gun whether its drugs or not.

Ive been around many a junkie aloysha there are different categories of junky from my experience. Theres pitiful and pathetic to absolute nuts dangerous and the apex violent predator

Cthulhu
12-19-2014, 09:18 PM
Anyone with drug convictions should not buy a gun legally anyone who is deemed incompetent by a psychiatrist or has been in and out of mental facilities should not buy a gun legally. Anyone with a criminal record should not buy a gun whether its drugs or not.

Ive been around many a junkie aloysha there are different categories of junky from my experience. Theres pitiful and pathetic to absolute nuts dangerous and the apex violent predator

Which brings me to one of my earlier questions: If we know certain types have that predatory mindset, why the hell are we letting them out on the streets? It makes zero sense and is a menace to the public.

Alyosha
12-19-2014, 09:24 PM

Uhhhh Detroit? Criminal lawyer? Very few junkies are violent. They're more along the lines of, "let me just lay down over here and fall into a coma..."

Safety
12-19-2014, 09:32 PM

You are absolutely correct about that. If applied to this forum, I would be very weary about some members here owning a gun, especially the ones who can't seem to control their outburst or anger. For instance you have the calm, cool, and collected like Redrose, PolWatch, Peter1469 and you (sometimes...depending on how constant the little annoying bugger is), then we have people like Animal Mother and Codename Section that can get pretty intense at times, but they are trained to have restraint, even with people like Bob. Then you have a mix and match of pretty calm cats like Mister D, da Captain Obvious, silvereyes and others who I wouldn't have a second thought to owning a gun. But there are some here who seem to fly off the handle at the smallest, and pettiest disagreement that I would say, scares me to think what they would do if they had access to a weapon when they're in that state.

I'm just going to say that everybody should have the right to own a firearm, but not everybody should own a firearm.

Peter1469
12-19-2014, 09:41 PM
Hey I lost my guns a long time ago. I was in a pirogue on a bayou back home in Louisiana and the pirogue flipped over when a mighty big gator attacked. Anyway, I sure swam away from that monster. And now I don't have any firearms any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCvhqY9tUY0

Safety
12-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Hey I lost my guns a long time ago. I was in a pirogue on a bayou back home in Louisiana and the pirogue flipped over when a mighty big gator attacked. Anyway, I sure swam away from that monster. And now I don't have any firearms any more.

Hey, you can't use that excuse, that's the one I was planning on u....I...mean...that's actually what happened to mine also.....

Common
12-19-2014, 09:48 PM
Which brings me to one of my earlier questions: If we know certain types have that predatory mindset, why the hell are we letting them out on the streets? It makes zero sense and is a menace to the public.

Most govt psychiatric facilities were closed long ago, to guess what ? save money. This is what you get when you mindlessly cut govt and theres no profit in it for the corporate pigs.

Its insane that these people run the streets but there is NO place to put them long term. The mindset is when they commit a crime imprison them

Cthulhu
12-19-2014, 10:46 PM
Most govt psychiatric facilities were closed long ago, to guess what ? save money. This is what you get when you mindlessly cut govt and theres no profit in it for the corporate pigs.

Its insane that these people run the streets but there is NO place to put them long term. The mindset is when they commit a crime imprison them

I get that. But we have prisons stocked plum full with people who commit victimless crimes. Those who steal and hurt people and such? There aren't as many as people think. I don't care if someone wants to get high, or sell drugs.

But those who prey on innocent people? To rob, or do other sorts of harm to them? We don't need prison for them. A wood chipper will do just fine.

zelmo1234
12-20-2014, 12:25 AM

This is exactly why you can't budge an inch on Gun control

This person was in a mental institution, IN 1986, 28 years ago!!!!!!!

He was in for one month and the liberal nut jobs want to take away his second amendment rights forever.

This is an incredible dangerous policy, because if liberals ever succeed in getting this through, then someone suffering from depression or PTSD will never seek the help that they need, making them much more likely to snap.

This once again is proof that liberals will not stop until guns are illegal. they are liars.

zelmo1234
12-20-2014, 12:27 AM

Not good.

NO it said nothing convicted felons.

But I would at least respect you more if you would say that a man convicted of drunk driving in 1986 should never be able to drive again.

zelmo1234
12-20-2014, 12:35 AM

They were closed because you could not longer hold people against their will, and most went broke.

Mac-7
12-20-2014, 03:53 AM
Most govt psychiatric facilities were closed long ago, to guess what ? save money.

Not true.

Hollywood libs made a movie called "One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest" and impressionable do-gooders were persuaded that mental hospitals were inhumane.

silvereyes
12-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Uhhhh Detroit? Criminal lawyer? Very few junkies are violent. They're more along the lines of, "let me just lay down over here and fall into a coma..."
I wish for that many nights.

silvereyes
12-21-2014, 11:33 AM

Hey, does that make you a bonafied gator wrangler?

silvereyes
12-21-2014, 11:37 AM
This is exactly why you can't budge an inch on Gun control

This person was in a mental institution, IN 1986, 28 years ago!!!!!!!

He was in for one month and the liberal nut jobs want to take away his second amendment rights forever.

This is an incredible dangerous policy, because if liberals ever succeed in getting this through, then someone suffering from depression or PTSD will never seek the help that they need, making them much more likely to snap.

This once again is proof that liberals will not stop until guns are illegal. they are liars.
How is gun control going to prevent some whack job from getting help?

silvereyes
12-21-2014, 11:38 AM
Not true.

Hollywood libs made a movie called "One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest" and impressionable do-gooders were persuaded that mental hospitals were inhumane.
That's because a lot of them are.

silvereyes
12-21-2014, 11:40 AM
NO it said nothing convicted felons.

But I would at least respect you more if you would say that a man convicted of drunk driving in 1986 should never be able to drive again.

No, because a drunk can be "cured," but you can't fix crazy.

Codename Section
12-21-2014, 11:44 AM

You can't?

Safety
12-21-2014, 11:45 AM

I know of several instances where a bullet has cured crazy.

Codename Section
12-21-2014, 11:48 AM
It's easy to run a blood test and tell who's got Hep or use an X-ray to tell who has cancer. Given the history of mental health being used to stop people from doing things we don't like (see the lobotomy of the Kennedy girl) I'm not sure I trust the government with this power.

You really want the government defining crazy?

zelmo1234
12-21-2014, 11:55 AM
How is gun control going to prevent some whack job from getting help?

If I like the shooting sports and know that I will never be able to get a gun again if I go get mental help?

I am not going!

zelmo1234
12-21-2014, 11:57 AM

If that is true then they should be locked up forever, yet that is not the law.

This man was in for one month nearly 30 years ago, it was likely depression!

zelmo1234
12-21-2014, 11:58 AM
I know of several instances where a bullet has cured crazy.

Now we are getting somewhere.

You are suggestion killing the mentally ill? How very socialist of you :)

Peter1469
12-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Hey, does that make you a bonafied gator wrangler?Oh sure.

I did bring a small gator home when I was younger. He was like 4 feet long. My mom was standing near the back door when I tried to sneak in with it. I was going to put it in the bathtub.

Polecat
12-21-2014, 12:08 PM
State Hospitals were closed for a number of different reasons. The purpose of having them in the first place was not taken into consideration when the campaign to close them all was launched and succeeded. Another showcase example of how bad we are at pin pointing and correcting problems. The same approach if used to cure a patient of a disease would be to execute them. Problem solved?

Most facilities operated as farms and were self sufficient. For a major portion of the patients it provided a structured and stable atmosphere they could function in. One problem was corrupt judges & family members conspiring to commit a person against their will for financial gain. This was not common but happened enough to make a horrific stink. Another big problem was the large number of sadistic predators that found employment in these facilities. I would flag this as being the biggest problem. Then there were ambitious glory hungry doctors that lacked the humanity and compassion to see hurting people instead of guinea pigs.

These atrocities needed to be stopped. And if the only way to do it was just shut the whole thing down then we did the right thing. But I don't think it was the only way. On top of that there was no solution, good or bad, on what to do with all the people that lived in these institutions. They simply discharged the majority of them. On to the streets.

Safety
12-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Now we are getting somewhere.

You are suggestion killing the mentally ill? How very socialist of you :)

Once again, you have read into something that wasn't there. You are a cop apologist regardless of fault, so do you suggest that cops are killing the mentally ill or are socialist when they kill mentally handicapped people left and right? Don't like it when it's turned back to you, eh?

Cthulhu
12-26-2014, 01:21 AM

Not good.
Sure it might allow a few jackwagons to buy them, but it also happens to allow people like me to buy them.

Statist Nazis : 0
Do-Gooding Freedom Lovers: 1

Sent from my evil cell phone.

Dark Mistress
12-26-2014, 02:34 AM
Sure it might allow a few jackwagons to buy them, but it also happens to allow people like me to buy them.

Statist Nazis : 0
Do-Gooding Freedom Lovers: 1

For the record, I like you. In case you wondered...

ace's n 8's
12-26-2014, 04:25 AM

Not good.Not necessarily;

In January 2008, President George W. Bush signed the bipartisan “NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007.”[5] (http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/fact-sheets/2013/mentalhealthandfirearms.aspx#_ftn5) The NRA-supported legislation created incentives for states to upgrade their procedures for timely and accurate reporting of records—including mental health records—to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. All federal firearm licensees are required to check the system (either directly or through a state point of contact) before proceeding with a sale.[6] (http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/fact-sheets/2013/mentalhealthandfirearms.aspx#_ftn6) To accomplish this task, the legislation authorized federal grants to states that improve their record keeping and supply those records to NICS, while also developing procedures under which people who have recovered from mental illness can get their firearms rights restored.

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/fact-sheets/2013/mentalhealthandfirearms.aspx

I do see a flawed system, a system that does not get updated annually.

zelmo1234
12-26-2014, 04:44 AM
What I find totally amusing is the gun grabbers want us to believe that the only people they don't want to have guns, are the wacko's that are dangerous

Like the guy who 30 years ago was going though a divorce. Checked himself into a mental institution a went back to a productive life

but this by no means should suggest that they don't want people to have guns!

The left can't be trusted deceit is in their life's blood

donttread
12-26-2014, 07:10 AM

Way to write laws that discourage people from seeking help. Nice job by the feds again. What an outrage in the year 2014 to deny a gun or permit to someone because they required psychiatric care 3 fucking decades ago! Talk about discrimination! Being mentally ill is not always permanent and it certainly isn't a felony!
One more time: The Average shooting in America is one urban felon shooting another urban felon with a gun it is ALREADY ILLEGAL for him to possess!

donttread
12-26-2014, 07:19 AM
This case, this law really highlight the incredible ignorance and stigma attached to mental illness, even by the institution of government. How can we ever hope to improve the nation's mental health with pure ignorance and barriers like this.
I've worked in human services , for lack of a better broad term, for 27 years in jobs which included substance abuse counselor, hospital SW department manager and now as a consultant. The one absolute truth I've learned in that time is that everybody is crazy, no exceptions, just different types and degrees of crazy. And that sometimes the ones who appear the most sane are the craziest of all.

Peter1469
12-26-2014, 08:36 AM
The gun grabbers aren't going to like Santa after this Christmas.

Santa delivered lots of guns. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/local/wp/2014/12/25/santa-delivered-a-lot-of-guns/)Warning, lots of scary pictures in the link.

The other day I wrote about an increasingly popular gift for wives from their husbands — guns (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/a-hello-kitty-assault-rifle-for-christmas-more-women-get-gun-gifts--and-love-them/2014/12/23/08b06e42-89fe-11e4-8ff4-fb93129c9c8b_story.html). Big guns. Little guns. Pink guns. Even Hello Kitty guns. But Christmas is a big gun day not just for women but for husbands, sons, grandsons, daughters, granddaughters…you get the point. People will argue about guns for more hours than “It’s a Wonderful Life” has historically been broadcast, but guns remain an important part of many, many lives, so it’s only natural that Santa was very busy crossing state lines delivering guns big and small.