PDA

View Full Version : Obama: Building America's Infrastructure

Smartmouthwoman
06-06-2012, 08:25 AM
So, Barack Obama made a big deal outta 'shovel-ready jobs' and rebuilding America's crumbling infrastructure. When it comes to putting his words into action, though... he seems to be turning the other cheek while Chinese companies are contracted to rebuild our nation's bridges. Where's the outrage, Barack? Or was this your plan all along?

See video (http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/us-bridges-roads-built-chinese-firms-14594513?tab=9482930?ion=1206853&playlist=14594944)
http://media.cleveland.com/nationworld_impact/photo/obama-budda-120910jpg-b62f9cfdbf81a70b.jpg

Deadwood
06-06-2012, 09:31 AM
What kills me is that he is borrowing money from China to pay them to build AMERICAN infrastructure.

That's sort of like borrowing money from your neighbor so you can pay him to go to work for you.....

Goldie Locks
06-06-2012, 09:38 AM
This is prolly the result of some type of agreement our government made with China for our debt they're holding.

Smartmouthwoman
06-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Not to mention the report is from ABC (All Barack Channel)

Guess they've given up trying to make him look good 24/7.

MMC
06-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Not to mention the selling our oil rights to the Chinese and allowing them to drill in and out in the gulf. :angry:

waltky
12-09-2016, 08:06 PM
Granny says, "Dat's right - Make America Great Again...
http://www.politicalforum.com/images/smilies/icon_grandma.gif
Trump wants ‘buy American’ provision in infrastructure bill
Saturday 10th December, 2016 - Donald Trump has made clear he wants buy-American rules in the massive infrastructure program he’s planning, launching an ardent defence of domestic-purchase requirements that can cause tensions with other countries.

Critics of such buy-American provisions say it not only freezes out foreign competition, but hurts Americans too, by driving up the cost of construction, which means taxpayers get fewer roads and bridges for their buck and fewer construction jobs in the long run. But the measures have considerable political support and the president-elect strongly suggested, in a speech Thursday night, that he sees them as part of a historic, $1 trillion infrastructure bill he’s urging lawmakers to pass. “My administration will follow two simple rules — buy American and hire American,” Trump told a cheering crowd in Iowa, at his latest post-election, campaign-style rally.

“On infrastructure, I am going to ask Congress to pass legislation that produces $1 trillion of new investment in America’s crumbling infrastructure and it is indeed crumbling. That includes major new projects for both our rural communities and our inner cities, which have also been forgotten. “And we will put our people — not people from other lands — our people back to work in the process. It is time to help Americans get off the welfare and get back into the labour market and they’re going to want to do it. ... Rebuilding this country with American hands, by American workers. We’re going to do it.”

His words echo those of some lawmakers from both parties, which suggests the issue could surface in the new year when Congress turns its attention to Trump’s legislative agenda. It would repeat an old story. In the midst of the 2009 recession, Congress included buy-American rules in a stimulus bill signed by President Barack Obama — which caused early tension with the Canadian government, as the latter argued the rules made little sense in an integrated continental economy where companies operate on both sides of the border. After much lobbying, the Canadian government got a special carve-out for Canada — but it didn’t apply to every infrastructure program, didn’t apply in every state, was only temporary and has now expired.

Some U.S. trade veterans have been expecting this issue to resurface. “My best guess would be that if there is a stimulus bill, there would be a buy-American provision,” said Jean Heilman Grier, who used to work for the U.S. government as the senior procurement negotiator for trade deals. She said she hopes the bill at least will include a stipulation that existing trade agreements be respected — a clarification senators added to the 2009 stimulus bill. She said Canada might also try including procurement in the upcoming discussion about NAFTA, which Trump says he wants to renegotiate. Canada’s new deal with the European Union includes liberalized infrastructure procurement.

MORE (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/trump-wants-buy-american-provision-in-infrastructure-bill/article33280391/?cmpid=rss1)

Tahuyaman
12-09-2016, 08:20 PM
So, Barack Obama made a big deal outta 'shovel-ready jobs' and rebuilding America's crumbling infrastructure. When it comes to putting his words into action, though... he seems to be turning the other cheek while Chinese companies are contracted to rebuild our nation's bridges. Where's the outrage, Barack? Or was this your plan all along?

See video (http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/us-bridges-roads-built-chinese-firms-14594513?tab=9482930?ion=1206853&playlist=14594944)

http://media.cleveland.com/nationworld_impact/photo/obama-budda-120910jpg-b62f9cfdbf81a70b.jpg

Obama already acknowledged that those so called Shovel Ready Jobs weren't so shovel ready. Of course that was after the nearly trillion dollars simply disappeared.

Tahuyaman
12-09-2016, 08:25 PM
That's sort of like borrowing money from your neighbor so you can pay him to go to work for you.....

I'd go for that one every day.

Peter1469
12-09-2016, 08:29 PM
I posted an article from Peter Morici, an economist, and he explained how infrastructure spending could be a benefit. I think he is a Keynesian who can think on his own. He makes good points in his article.

Tahuyaman
12-09-2016, 09:37 PM
What kills me is that he is borrowing money from China to pay them to build AMERICAN infrastructure.

You have it backwards. It's like me giving my neighbor the money to pay for the work he hired me to do.

Tahuyaman
12-10-2016, 12:40 AM
I posted an article from Peter Morici, an economist, and he explained how infrastructure spending could be a benefit. I think he is a Keynesian who can think on his own. He makes good points in his article.

Obviously it can be of tremendous benefit, but it can also be nothing but a waste of money if there's no solid plan on how this reconstruction should be executed.

President Obama gave us all an example how nearly a trillion dollars can simply vanish into thin air because there was no plan. Or, maybe the money vanishing was the plan?

Peter1469
12-10-2016, 04:34 AM
Obviously it can be of tremendous benefit, but it can also be nothing but a waste of money if there's no solid plan on how this reconstruction should be executed.

President Obama gave us all an example how nearly a trillion dollars can simply vanish into thin air because there was no plan. Or, maybe the money vanishing was the plan?
That is what the article said.