PDA

View Full Version : Media Continues To Ignore Ron Paul

Conley
08-15-2011, 11:01 PM
"I admit I do not fully understand Ron Paul and his beliefs. But I do understand when a guy gets shafted, and Ron Paul just got shafted.

On Saturday, the Ames Straw Poll was conducted in Iowa amid huge media interest and scrutiny. The results were enough to force one Republican candidate, Tim Pawlenty, out of the race, and catapult another, Michele Bachmann, into the “top tier.”

There are so many “top tier” stories in the media today that I can barely count them, let alone read them all, and Bachmann is in all of them by virtue of her victory at Ames. The rest of the tier is made up of two candidates who skipped Ames, Rick Perry and Mitt Romney.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/61412.html#ixzz1VA2w6SbB

Before even seeing this I noticed in articles on MSN and WSJ that Paul was nowhere to be found. It is an interesting phenomenon.

MMC
08-16-2011, 01:42 AM
Yeah but on MSDNC and CNN they all talked about Paul ended up being like 32 votes behind Bachmann. Showing what Paul said during the debate and such. But your right. MSM is now focused on what they call the top Tier and notice they don't mention Paul at all.

Buchannan Did on MSDNC when talking about Texas and Perry. Otherwise its all about Perry and Bachmann. then Romney.

Conley
08-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Interesting. I read that (maybe in the article I linked) that Bachmann was invited on to five news shows after the results were known; Ron Paul was not invited to speak at any of them. I also believe that nationwide Paul has far more supporters than Bachmann, but I have no way of proving this. Really it is down to two and not these two!

Conley
08-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Jon Stewart says it well:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-august-15-2011/indecision-2012---corn-polled-edition---ron-paul---the-top-tier

Conley
08-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Also Quiznos is delicious! :P

Mister D
08-16-2011, 10:21 AM

Really?

Mister D
08-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Interesting. I read that (maybe in the article I linked) that Bachmann was invited on to five news shows after the results were known; Ron Paul was not invited to speak at any of them. I also believe that nationwide Paul has far more supporters than Bachmann, but I have no way of proving this. Really it is down to two and not these two!

Paul does generate a lot of excitement but I can understand how some might see his candidacy as a bit of a joke to put it nicely. He created quite a stir in 2008 but his candidacy fizzeled out. You can't just blame the media for treating him as a less serious candidate.

Conley
08-16-2011, 10:31 AM

Really?

I know, you wouldn't think so but in my experience yes. Way better than Subway or Submarina. I think it's mostly the toasted bread, which is probably available everywhere now. Granted, I'm a pig and not particularly discerning. If someone were to put a sandwich in front of me I would eat it regardless of the chain from whence it came. ;D

Conley
08-16-2011, 10:34 AM

Paul does generate a lot of excitement but I can understand how some might see his candidacy as a bit of a joke to put it nicely. He created quite a stir in 2008 but his candidacy fizzeled out. You can't just blame the media for treating him as a less serious candidate.

True, but in 2008 he was largely ignored as well. Then there was the GOP debate where he was polling 3rd I think and then not allowed to attend? His speaking style still leaves a lot to be desired, but he has gotten better.

The thing that really jumps out at me as Stewart says is that Paul is basically the starter of the Tea Party / Libertarian movement. Now it seems the media is just trying to ignore the phenomenon or cast it aside. The Tea Party movement / Libertarianism is imo way beyond where it was in 2008 for many reasons including seeing how Obama and the Dems have made a further mess of things. Given the level of discontent with both parties, it seems to me that if Paul could get his message out he would actually stand a better chance than in 2008.

Mister D
08-16-2011, 10:38 AM

Really?

I know, you wouldn't think so but in my experience yes. Way better than Subway or Submarina. I think it's mostly the toasted bread, which is probably available everywhere now. Granted, I'm a pig and not particularly discerning. If someone were to put a sandwich in front of me I would eat it regardless of the chain from whence it came. ;D

Subway is disgusting. Thank God we have great delis around here. The last time I got a sandwich from a chain I couldn't finish it. I tossed it in the trash where it belongs! >:(

Mister D
08-16-2011, 10:41 AM

True, but in 2008 he was largely ignored as well. Then there was the GOP debate where he was polling 3rd I think and then not allowed to attend? His speaking style still leaves a lot to be desired, but he has gotten better.

The thing that really jumps out at me as Stewart says is that Paul is basically the starter of the Tea Party / Libertarian movement. Now it seems the media is just trying to ignore the phenomenon or cast it aside. The Tea Party movement / Libertarianism is imo way beyond where it was in 2008 for many reasons including seeing how Obama and the Dems have made a further mess of things. Given the level of discontent with both parties, it seems to me that if Paul could get his message out he would actually stand a better chance than in 2008.

I also thought he did considerably better in this last debate at least in terms of how he came off (speaking style etc.) I also agree that the GOP treated him shabbily in 2008. Yeah, perhaps they are using some influence to bury his candidacy.

Paul did very well on the Internet and in the polls last time but I think theere is a perception among voters themselves that he can't win.

MMC
08-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Ron Paul vs Bernanke: Is Gold Money? - July 13, 2011 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NJnL10vZ1Y#)

This was Ron Paul going after Bernanke.....Gold, listen to Bernanke.....it's tradition my ass. Then they give Paul no air Time. This was July 13 and Paul tore his ass up right then and there in Congress.

Now Bernanke is going for QE3.....what a dipshit. Print more money. plau they are going to keep interest rates down until 2013. Which means they know this economy is not going to run up all thru 2012.

Then Paul did good in the Debates.....I believe the NEO-Cons are tanking him from behind the scenes.

Mister D
08-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Ron Paul vs Bernanke: Is Gold Money? - July 13, 2011 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NJnL10vZ1Y#)

This was Ron Paul going after Bernanke.....Gold, listen to Bernanke.....it's tradition my ass. Then they give Paul no air Time. This was July 13 and Paul tore his ass up right then and there in Congress.

Now Bernanke is going for QE3.....what a dipshit. Print more money. plau they are going to keep interest rates down until 2013. Which means they know this economy is not going to run up all thru 2012.

Then Paul did good in the Debates.....I believe the NEO-Cons are tanking him from behind the scenes.

That could well be the case.

MMC
08-16-2011, 11:27 AM

Damn.....I just learned some new about Perry. Now I am thinking this has been planned all along by the Rove and the Neo-Cons. I will put it up under the Perry thread. Sure does have me even more hesitant about Perry tho.

Mister D
08-16-2011, 11:38 AM

Damn.....I just learned some new about Perry. Now I am thinking this has been planned all along by the Rove and the Neo-Cons. I will put it up under the Perry thread. Sure does have me even more hesitant about Perry tho.

No conspriacy here. The GOP and Fox News treated him poorly in 2008.

MMC
08-16-2011, 11:40 AM
This is what Ron Paul is saying about Perry.....

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2011/06/ron-paul-says-fellow-texan-rick-perry-is-very-much-the-status-quo.html

Ron Paul was on Fox News on Thursday and said if voters are looking for change they shouldn't look to fellow Texan Rick Perry.

He’s going to dilute the vote,” Paul warned. "But he’ll dilute the establishment vote. But the people who are sick and tired of what they’re getting in Washington, I don’t think he’s going to be that attractive to that group of people."

Thoughts?

Conley
08-16-2011, 11:43 AM
We can't kid ourselves. As appealing as Ron Paul is, he also says and believes some really radical ideas.

Add to that some of his supporters are looney, both in demeanor and appearance.

So I think it is a combination of factors. Certainly the powers that be don't want Paul anywhere near POTUS, but there are other factors that hurt him as well. I really think if Gary Johnson had gotten more support he could have been the answer. Libertarian to a degree but not as radical as Paul, more charismatic, etc. However he had no name recognition, no funding and didn't seem to be working very hard either.

Conley
08-16-2011, 11:45 AM

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2011/06/ron-paul-says-fellow-texan-rick-perry-is-very-much-the-status-quo.html

Ron Paul was on Fox News on Thursday and said if voters are looking for change they shouldn't look to fellow Texan Rick Perry.

He’s going to dilute the vote,” Paul warned. "But he’ll dilute the establishment vote. But the people who are sick and tired of what they’re getting in Washington, I don’t think he’s going to be that attractive to that group of people."

Thoughts?

While I agree with Paul, the fact is that it's going to be those very people who elect Perry because Paul is considered unelectable. Those people will also vote Perry in over Obama. I still think that Paul would have a better chance running on his own under the Libertarian ticket. He will never get the GOP nomination, that much is clear already. The shutting him out process has already begun.

Conley
08-16-2011, 11:46 AM
If by some miracle Obama wins reelection then perhaps Rand Paul could run in 2016. If Perry wins, the earliest Rand could run would be 2020.

Mister D
08-16-2011, 11:49 AM

Thoughts?

While I agree with Paul, the fact is that it's going to be those very people who elect Perry because Paul is considered unelectable. Those people will also vote Perry in over Obama. I still think that Paul would have a better chance running on his own under the Libertarian ticket. He will never get the GOP nomination, that much is clear already. The shutting him out process has already begun.

Yeah, the GOP is openly hostile to Paul and he must know this. I'm not sure what he's thinking.

MMC
08-16-2011, 12:46 PM
If by some miracle Obama wins reelection then perhaps Rand Paul could run in 2016. If Perry wins, the earliest Rand could run would be 2020.

That looks like the move with Rand Paul.....2016 and I doubt it matters if Perry is around.

Either way Ron Paul will be round as a Congressman at least another term.

Conley
08-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Rand won't run for the GOP nomination if Perry is running for reelection and a second term.