PDA

View Full Version : George Soros says it's all the regulators' fault

Chris
06-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Wait for the punch line...

George Soros says it's all the regulators' fault (http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/money-banking/george-soros-says-its-all-the-regulators-fault)
George Soros says that the main cause of the current and coming problems is the very odd decision that the regulators made about capital weights on sovereign debts.
When the euro was introduced the regulators allowed banks to buy unlimited amounts of government bonds without setting aside any equity capital; and the central bank accepted all government bonds at its discount window on equal terms. Commercial banks found it advantageous to accumulate the bonds of the weaker euro members in order to earn a few extra basis points. That is what caused interest rates to converge which in turn caused competitiveness to diverge.

...this does explain so much. I think it was Basel II which brought tis rule in: that soverign bonds needed no capital assigned to them and there was no haircut in repoing them with the ECB. And that does indeed explain why so many banks lent so much money at such low interest rates to countries that clearly were not as creditworthy as some others under the same rules.

It also explains why it all fell apart so quickly: as soon as the ECB was applying credit based haircuts to such bonds then the flood into the southern nations became a flood out again.

It also leaves us with a very important question. If it was indeed the regulators that caused this then what is the argument behind giving the regulators greater powers?

MMC
06-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Well wasn't really the regulators their political will that caused such? Moreover why wasn't money tied to those bonds in the first place?

Conley
06-07-2012, 03:23 PM
I hear what you're saying but I wouldn't trust a thing that comes out of Soros's mouth. Whether he is pro or against regulation makes no difference to me, I know he is only looking out for his own interests.

Chris
06-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Oh, I don't trust Soros at all. He did a talk at Cato a while back, starting off with he was a Hayekian, yeah, superficially, but he came to vastly different conclusions on the role of government.

Just as in the OP his analysis is sound, I think, and so does the author, but his conclusion is, again, not. If the regulators caused the problem how does it make sense to increase regulation?

Peter1469
06-07-2012, 04:49 PM
European banks are not free to turn down suggestions from European states on investment opportunities in sovereign debt. That was why it was funny to hear France blame Lehman Bros for their problems.