PDA

View Full Version : Chinese demand for tiger wine and rugs puts tigers in peril

Peter1469
01-02-2015, 04:37 PM
Chinese demand for tiger wine and rugs puts tigers in peril (http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/tiger-farms-stoke-chinese-demand-for-tiger-wine-and-rugs-putting-wild-cats-in-peril/2015/01/01/6f292ea0-796b-11e4-9721-80b3d95a28a9_story.html?hpid=z2)

Tiger wine? I think I will pass.

This is one of China’s biggest tiger farms, the Xiongshen Tiger and Bear Mountain Village in the southern city of Guilin. It is part of a booming industry that is threatening to drive this magnificent animal toward extinction in the wild, conservationists say, by fueling demand for “luxury” tiger parts.

Encouraged by the tiger farming industry, China’s wealthy are rediscovering a taste for tiger bone wine — promoted as a treatment for rheumatism and impotence — as well as tiger-skin rugs and stuffed animals, sought after as status symbols among an elite obsessed with conspicuous consumption.

Animal Mother
01-02-2015, 04:38 PM
Asian people are weird as fuck. They really are. If a woolly mammoth was recovered from cryogenic freezing they'd want to eat him.

Private Pickle
01-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Asian people are weird as fuck. They really are. If a woolly mammoth was recovered from cryogenic freezing they'd want to eat him.

Sounds tasty.

Dr. Who
01-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Chinese demand for tiger wine and rugs puts tigers in peril (http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/tiger-farms-stoke-chinese-demand-for-tiger-wine-and-rugs-putting-wild-cats-in-peril/2015/01/01/6f292ea0-796b-11e4-9721-80b3d95a28a9_story.html?hpid=z2)

That's just disgusting. How can people be so gullible?

Animal Mother
01-02-2015, 04:58 PM

People voted for Hope and Change. That didn't work out either. People are gullible.

Dr. Who
01-02-2015, 05:13 PM
People voted for Hope and Change. That didn't work out either. People are gullible.
I suppose, although you could also say that optimism and hope springs eternal despite experience that should make people wary.

sachem
01-02-2015, 05:17 PM
Tiger bone wine? Really?

Animal Mother
01-02-2015, 05:18 PM
Has anyone seen Strange Eats? Asians will eat fucking anything that moves or crawls. It does not surprise me to hear they eat tigers. Let someone tell them that baby girl fetuses are restorative and they'll be hanging out behind abortion clinics.

Dr. Who
01-02-2015, 05:29 PM
Actually one was, well recovered from glacier ice, but it wasn't offered up for food. Scientists are trying to find ways of cloning her.

donttread
01-02-2015, 06:25 PM

The real questions are these.
1) How much can I buy a tiger for?
2) How much can I make selling the parts?

Peter1469
01-02-2015, 06:54 PM
The real questions are these.
1) How much can I buy a tiger for?
2) How much can I make selling the parts?

You are probably too far from Chinatown.

Chloe
01-02-2015, 09:19 PM

Disgusting, irresponsible, selfish, cruel, and misguided all come to mind.

Mister D
01-02-2015, 09:22 PM

Yeah, but I bet you still love yourself some cosmopolitanism.

Chloe
01-02-2015, 09:35 PM
Yeah, but I bet you still love yourself some cosmopolitanism.

Thats a random comment

PolWatch
01-02-2015, 09:36 PM
Thats a random comment

hmmm...do cosmos have tiger parts in them?

Chloe
01-02-2015, 09:48 PM
hmmm...do cosmos have tiger parts in them?

I don't think he means the drink :)

PolWatch
01-02-2015, 09:49 PM
oh.....y'all have to remember...I'm old....I don't think I speak the same language sometimes! :rollseyes:

Mister D
01-02-2015, 09:53 PM
Thats a random comment Is it? They are different people with different values. I'm sure you have no problem with them sharing your homeland. Much like you don't seem to mind poor Latin Americans running cheap ACs 8 months a year.

Chloe
01-02-2015, 09:56 PM
Is it? They are different people with different values. I'm sure you have no problem with them sharing your homeland. Much like you don't seem to mind poor Latin Americans running cheap ACs 8 months a year.

Cheap ACs? I don't have a problem with Chinese people but these people involved need to be educated on the impact and the people buying it need to know what they are contributing to.

Mister D
01-02-2015, 09:58 PM
Cheap ACs? I don't have a problem with Chinese people but these people involved need to be educated on the impact and the people buying it need to know what they are contributing to. You just have a problem with their culture. Educate those people.

Bob
01-02-2015, 10:10 PM

That reminds me of the other day on Discovery. They have a program called naked and afraid.

It bores me a lot but while flipping channels, some girl was using a magnifying glass to cook a giant grasshopper that must have been over 5 inches long. She then ate it. She kept saying it tasted very good.

Alyosha
01-02-2015, 10:15 PM
Farmed animals lead to demand for those animals. I'm not sure it will help wild tigers. But then it's not like Asians, especially Chinese, give any fucks about the environment or creatures in it.

Nor will Obama hold them accountable for another 20 years anyway so there's not much we can do unless we want to go in guerilla style and remove the tigers.

PolWatch
01-02-2015, 10:24 PM
Farmed animals lead to demand for those animals. I'm not sure it will help wild tigers. But then it's not like Asians, especially Chinese, give any fucks about the environment or creatures in it.

Nor will Obama hold them accountable for another 20 years anyway so there's not much we can do unless we want to go in guerilla style and remove the tigers.

hmm....I know someone who would probably be willing to make that trip. I think he has experience in the field of freeing captive creatures too! :smiley:

Alyosha
01-02-2015, 10:25 PM
hmm....I know someone who would probably be willing to make that trip. I think he has experience in the field of freeing captive creatures too! :smiley:

Dolphins and Belugas I hear. :)

nathanbforrest45
01-04-2015, 12:22 PM

I don't know. Tiger stuffed with Spotted Owl is really tasty.

nathanbforrest45
01-04-2015, 01:08 PM
That reminds me of the other day on Discovery. They have a program called naked and afraid.

It bores me a lot but while flipping channels, some girl was using a magnifying glass to cook a giant grasshopper that must have been over 5 inches long. She then ate it. She kept saying it tasted very good.

There was a scene in Steve McQueen's last movie "Tom Horn" in which he was eating lobster and staring at it strangly. When asked what was the matter he replied "Nothing but that is the biggest bug I have ever eaten"

In the film "The Cast Away" one of the first thing Tom Hanks eats other than coconuts is a raw crab since he has no fire. The crab "meat" is a viscous fluid and it isn't until crabs are cooked that the crabs internals solidify. Can you imagine the first people who ate crab meat?

PolWatch
01-04-2015, 02:02 PM
I don't know what sort of crabs you have eaten but I've been cleaning & eating crabs for a long time. Their 'meat' is meat...raw or cooked...unless you are eating the part that is usually thrown away.