PDA

View Full Version : 6.6 Million Young Adults Insured Thanks to Obamacare

Cigar
06-08-2012, 01:52 PM
In spite of Republicans and all their obstruction and foaming at the mouth, President Obama actually accomplished good things like keeping kids on their parent's insurance.

NEW DATA: 6.6 Million Young Adults Insured Thanks to Obamacare
By Guest Blogger on Jun 8, 2012 at 11:02 am

Even though much of the Affordable Care Act does not go into effect into 2014, conservatives insist the bill is making things worse for Americans. But a new study shows that one implemented provision of the ACA is already providing millions of young Americans with health insurance.

According to a study by the Commonwealth Fund, 6.6 million young adults have signed up for coverage through their parents’ health insurance plans. Under the ACA provision, young people can now stay on their parents’ plans until the age of 26. About half of the 19-to-25 year-olds interviewed for the study reported opting in to their parents’ plans between November 2010 and November 2011.

Last month, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Education Secretary Arne Duncan wrote college presidents and student organizations urging them to remind students they can stay on their parents’ plans after graduation. “Now, graduating students are free to make career choices based on what they want to do, not where they can get health insurance,” they wrote.

Some of President Obama’s staunchest critics are also beginning to realize the benefit of increased young people in insurance pools. Republican Senators Scott Brown and Roy Blunt broke ranks to speak approvingly of the provision. Even Tea Party favorite Rep. Allen West signaled his support of the measure in an interview with ThinkProgress.

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/06/08/496592/new-data-66-million-young-adults-insured-thanks-to-obamacare/

... ok ... you can start denying the facts .. ready ... set ... go ...

roadmaster
06-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Obama has done some good things. I give him credit for extending the unemployment benefits which helped many Americans not lose their houses. Letting young adults stay on insurance ect. Not backing the pipeline that would go over a water source that would effect many. I have a lot that I don't like about him too and could never vote for him.

Cigar
06-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Obama has done some good things. I give him credit for extending the unemployment benefits which helped many Americans not lose their houses. Letting young adults stay on insurance ect. Not backing the pipeline that would go over a water source that would effect many. I have a lot that I don't like about him too and could never vote for him.

That's is a reasonable and understandable retort and I appreciate that.

Calypso Jones
06-08-2012, 03:16 PM
There is no reason in hell for a young adult up to what? 26 years old to remain on their parent's insurance. Either auto or health. I suspect that these numbers are fudged seeing as it is the obama administration AND I wonder if some of these kids remaining on their parents' insurance aren't holding their parents' hostage so to speak.

roadmaster
06-08-2012, 03:29 PM
There is no reason in hell for a young adult up to what? 26 years old to remain on their parent's insurance. Either auto or health. I suspect that these numbers are fudged seeing as it is the obama administration AND I wonder if some of these kids remaining on their parents' insurance aren't holding their parents' hostage so to speak.

I disagree. My youngest is in nursing school and most of the jobs she gets either don't supply insurance or it's too high. How about the many over 40 that lost their jobs due to the company shutting down? They are forced to compete with the illegals and have to decide on if they pay the electric bill or pay for insurance.

I have insurance but go outside the box for once. Many Americans are hurting.

Nunya
06-08-2012, 03:32 PM
This is a case of Obama getting credit for something that was already happening before Obamacare.

Prior to Obamacare, children could stay on their parent's insurance until age 25, as long as they were taking 12 credit hours in college. I would suspect that a majority of the 6.6 million Obama is getting credit for fall into that category.

Also, the provision in Obamacare that allows children to stay on their parent's insurance does not start until 2014......UNLESS the insurance policy was started AFTER Obamacare was passed. In which case that part kicked in January 1, 2011.

While there are some nice things in Obamacare, and I will give Obama credit for.....however, the bill is one of the worst piece of legislation passed in my lifetime. This bill will eventually bankrupt the middle class. Insurance premiums WILL sky rocket and the middle class will eventually be priced out of insurance completely. Take this portion we are talking about. Who do you think is going to pay for unemployed/non-college junior to be on his parent's insurance? The answer is ALL insurance premium payers will pay in way of increased premiums.

http://www.consumerismcommentary.com/children-covered-by-parents-health-insurance-plans/

Obama's heart might have been his motivation for Obamacare, however, he attacked the problem at the wrong point. Insurance WAS NOT the problem. The cost of medical treatment is/was the problem.

Goldie Locks
06-08-2012, 03:34 PM
I disagree. My youngest is in nursing school and most of the jobs she gets either don't supply insurance or it's too high. How about the many over 40 that lost their jobs due to the company shutting down? They are forced to compete with the illegals and have to decide on if they pay the electric bill or pay for insurance.

I have insurance but go outside the box for once. Many Americans are hurting.

And you can thank Ubama for that. No wonder he did it, he knew the economy under him would be dismal to say the least. After all he's trying to destroy or shall we say transform America to his progressive Utopia, which means someone else pays for what another person gets. In this case it is the parents paying 26 years for their kids. It's all in the family, but it is still part of his Utopia.

roadmaster
06-08-2012, 03:36 PM
The cost of medical treatment is the problem.

That's true and if you are an American without insurance the hospitals and Dr.s will bill you a lot higher than those with insurance. I see it on a first hand basics.

Nunya
06-08-2012, 03:40 PM
That's true and if you are an American without insurance the hospitals and Dr.s will bill you a lot higher than those with insurance. I see it on a first hand basics.

That is what needs to be fixed. The problem is though, is that the American Medical Association (AMA) has one of the most powerful lobbies on Capital Hill.

Calypso Jones
06-08-2012, 03:41 PM
This is a case of Obama getting credit for something that was already happening before Obamacare.

Prior to Obamacare, children could stay on their parent's insurance until age 25, as long as they were taking 12 credit hours in college. I would suspect that a majority of the 6.6 million Obama is getting credit for fall into that category.

Also, the provision in Obamacare that allows children to stay on their parent's insurance does not start until 2014......UNLESS the insurance policy was started AFTER Obamacare was passed. In which case that part kicked in January 1, 2011.

While there are some nice things in Obamacare, and I will give Obama credit for.....however, the bill is one of the worst piece of legislation past in my lifetime. This bill will eventually bankrupt the middle class. Insurance premiums WILL sky rocket and the middle class will eventually be priced out of insurance completely. Take this portion we are talking about. Who do you think is going to pay for unemployed/non-college junior to be on his parent's insurance? The answer is ALL insurance premium payers will pay in way of increased premiums.

http://www.consumerismcommentary.com/children-covered-by-parents-health-insurance-plans/

Obama's heart might have been his motivation for Obamacare, however, he attacked the problem at the wrong point. Insurance WAS NOT the problem. The cost of medical treatment is/was the problem.

That is a good post with points i failed to address. You are absolutely correct. Thank you.Except for the 'nice things' in obamacare. If it enslaves americans in any way to the gov't then any thing that is perceived as good is in reality NOT.

roadmaster
06-08-2012, 03:43 PM
And you can thank Ubama for that. No wonder he did it, he knew the economy under him would be dismal to say the least. After all he's trying to destroy or shall we say transform America to his progressive Utopia, which means someone else pays for what another person gets. In this case it is the parents paying 26 years for their kids. It's all in the family, but it is still part of his Utopia.

He failed with the economy but I too didn't like the republicans ready to cut off many older middle class Americans while supporting illegals.

Peter1469
06-08-2012, 04:13 PM
In spite of Republicans and all their obstruction and foaming at the mouth, President Obama actually accomplished good things like keeping kids on their parent's insurance.

... ok ... you can start denying the facts .. ready ... set ... go ...

If it was such a good idea why didn't Obama invoke Article 5 of the US Constitution and seek to amend the Constitution to actually empower the federal government to do this?

Trinnity
06-08-2012, 04:36 PM
In spite of Republicans and all their obstruction and foaming at the mouth, President Obama actually accomplished good things like keeping kids on their parent's insurance.IF they can still afford the premiums, that is.

roadmaster
06-09-2012, 12:34 AM
IF they can still afford the premiums, that is.

Well that's another problem and I know Herman Cain was joking but you don't put a large stack of paperwork that only a lawyer could sort out and tell us to go ahead and vote for this not knowing what's in the package and we would find out after it passes.

Mr. Cains joke was bills need to be where everyone could understand and should be less than two pages long. In reality no one could explain what's in the package because most didn't read it. I won't sign a paper unless I know all the facts and why should they?

Goldie Locks
06-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Well that's another problem and I know Herman Cain was joking but you don't put a large stack of paperwork that only a lawyer could sort out and tell us to go ahead and vote for this not knowing what's in the package and we would find out after it passes.

Mr. Cains joke was bills need to be where everyone could understand and should be less than two pages long. In reality no one could explain what's in the package because most didn't read it. I won't sign a paper unless I know all the facts and why should they?

Considering our Constitution is only 4 pages long.

Deadwood
06-09-2012, 09:40 AM
"6.6 Million Young Adults Insured Thanks to Obamacare "

2032 - Us declares Bankruptcy, unable to pay China 2.8 trillion dollar interest payment. China takes over US in an "administrative capacity only"...the troops are there for rest and recreation. Relax. That is an order.

Peter1469
06-09-2012, 09:42 AM
China could never resupply a large military force in North America.

Deadwood
06-09-2012, 09:44 AM

Ever read the fine print in a cel contract? Oh boy. In this area it says they can charge you anything they want, raise the rate witout notice, do not have to send you a cill, it is up to you to know who much you owe, and if they say you owe them money, you have to prove you don't.

I have a small independent supplier whose long distance rates are impossible, but I have a one year, pre paid service at $254 a year, unlimited local calling and $100 worth of bonus points a year because I pre pay...

By all means, read everything. Many, many contracts contain clauses that are patently illegal [you cannot use a contract to subvert the law] but they get away with it because it costs too much to sue...

Deadwood
06-09-2012, 09:46 AM

You want to risk your children's future on that?

Deadwood
06-09-2012, 09:53 AM

After some thought I am going to challenge that. China has been supplying almost all of America's steel, manufacturing needs and a lot of its food suuplies for some time now. All they need to do is change the content of a few of those containers and they own the west coast.

Peter1469
06-09-2012, 10:33 AM
After some thought I am going to challenge that. China has been supplying almost all of America's steel, manufacturing needs and a lot of its food suuplies for some time now. All they need to do is change the content of a few of those containers and they own the west coast.

They don't have to protect their supply lines now.