PDA

View Full Version : Loretta Lynch questioned over secret deal depriving fraud victims of $40M

Professor Peabody
01-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Loretta Lynch questioned over secret deal depriving fraud victims of $40M

Probe of Obama attorney general nominee sought over secret deals for cooperators

By Jim McElhatton - The Washington Times - Sunday, January 4, 2015

More than a year before President Obama nominated federal prosecutor Loretta Lynch to be attorney general, a former federal judge quietly called on Congress to investigate her U.S. attorney’s office for trampling on victims’ rights.

Paul Cassell, a law professor at the University of Utah, said Ms. Lynch’s office, the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, never told victims in a major stock fraud case that a culprit had been sentenced — denying them a chance to seek restitution of some $40 million in losses.

Mr. Cassell, in written remarks to a House Judiciary Committee panel in 2013, said if prosecutors were using secretive sentencing procedures to reward criminals for cooperating with them, it could violate the Crime Victims Restitution Act.

“These deals, indisputably in defiance of mandatory federal forfeiture and restitution laws, allow cooperators to keep the proceeds of their crimes in exchange for their cooperation and keep their reputation intact, hidden behind secret dockets,” said attorney Frederick Oberlander, who has sued the businessman on behalf of fraud victims.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jan/4/loretta-lynchs-office-cheated-stock-fraud-victims-/

Is she just careless, ignorant or is it something more nefarious? I don't know, but what I do believe is anyone who would do what she did deserves to be behind bars not as Attorney General. I guess Obama needs another puppet at the helm of the DOJ, anyone with big skeleton's in their closet fit the bill perfectly, they'll do as their told. It may even be in the job description. If she indeed used secretive sentencing procedures to reward criminals for cooperating, she should be prosecuted, NOT nominated.