PDA

View Full Version : Saudis Got Talent

Sultan
06-11-2012, 07:33 AM
'Saudi Got Talent' has no women or music A Saudi city known for its ultraconservatism has created its own version of the "Arabs Got Talent" television reality show, but with no music and women banned from taking part.
Instead, competitors will be permitted to perform religious chants, recite poems and engage in sports events.

The contest is being held north of the capital in the city of Buraydah, known as a centre for Wahhabism – a strict interpretation of Islam that is followed in the desert kingdom.

"Buraydah's Got Talent" is the title of the contest which will abide by the strict rules of segregation between the sexes, meaning it is not open to women.

Music, singing and dancing are strict no-nos, despite being staples in "Britain's Got Talent" and similar talent competitions that have become a global viewing phenomenon with national versions televised in 32 countries.

The Saudi version, organised by the internet Buraydah Forum, will take place in the open air before a jury comprising a poet, a television producer and TV presenters, Al-Hayat newspaper reported, quoting forum supervisor Jalawi al-Shukair.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9322823/Saudi-Got-Talent-has-no-women-or-music.html

Well Sharon Osborne wont have much luck trying to judge over there :laugh:

Beevee
06-11-2012, 07:35 AM
LOL.

With American television the way it is, NBC might commission it.

Sultan
06-11-2012, 02:11 PM
LOL.

With American television the way it is, NBC might commission it.

NBC probably owned by one of the Gulf royals anyway :whip2:

Peter1469
06-11-2012, 03:57 PM
You are probably right about that.

Trinnity
06-11-2012, 04:29 PM
What is wrong with a (local in this case) govt that won't allow singing, dancing, music, or women on a talent TV show? Boy, that cuts down on the talent.
It's so backwards.

Reciting religious chants is a talent? Ridiculous.

Sultan
06-11-2012, 05:29 PM
You are probably right about that.

for sure and plenty more

Peter1469
06-11-2012, 05:56 PM
for sure and plenty more

Hey, I was agreeing with you. Play nice.

Sultan
06-12-2012, 06:15 AM
Hey, I was agreeing with you. Play nice.

I was being nice.

I was agreeing with you.

Beevee
06-12-2012, 07:27 AM
What is wrong with a (local in this case) govt that won't allow singing, dancing, music, or women on a talent TV show? Boy, that cuts down on the talent.
It's so backwards.

Reciting religious chants is a talent? Ridiculous.

Then consider their understanding of America's Got Talent and you might just have a point.

Trinnity
06-12-2012, 10:14 AM
You'd have made a valid point if you'd referenced Madonna exposing her breast on stage in Istanbul last week...but this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVh9FZ4zNAA

What could possibly justify suppressing that?
*It's singing
*It's a girl
*It's a child
*There's also music.
*She's singing Ave Maria, a Christian Operatic prayer

Over there that sort of behavior would earn her an honor killing.