PDA

View Full Version : Obama to propose paid sick leave for American workers

Common
01-15-2015, 07:12 AM
This rings empty to me, after 6yrs of doing nothing and catering to wall street and big bankers and giving billions in subsidies.

He knows this will never get past the GOP senate and house. The GOP pass' NOTHING for the little guy.

They will claim this will close down most of americas business and kill the economy and give CEO heart attacks and cause investors to arm themselves with assault rifles and run around shooting wall street. OMG we cant do that now can we. <smirk>

President Obama will call on Congress to require companies to give workers up to seven days of paid sick leave a year, a senior adviser said Wednesday.Obama will also take executive action to give at least six weeks of paid leave to federal employees after the birth or adoption of a child, Senior White House Adviser Valerie Jarrett said.
And Obama wants Congress to spend $2.2 billion to help states and cities develop paid family leave programs.
Jarrett announced the new initiatives in a post on the job networking site LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-we-think-paid-leave-workers-right-privilege-valerie-jarrett) -- a venue chosen, she said, because its audience was best positioned to drive change in their own workplaces.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/01/14/obama-child-care-paid-leave/21768969/

Peter1469
01-15-2015, 07:15 AM
How many companies don't give paid sick leave (at least 7 days per year) to full time employees? Is this another manufactured issue MSM can bash the GOP with in what they call "news" these days.

donttread
01-15-2015, 07:52 AM
Call it all PTO . Sick days, vacation, PLD. Too many categories, roll it all into one

sachem
01-15-2015, 07:58 AM
Call it all PTO . Sick days, vacation, PLD. Too many categories, roll it all into oneWe call it Earned Time or ET. Time off earned on a pro rated basis based on the number of hours you work. That being said, I think Barry is going to pander to whomever he likes during his last two years to make the GOP look as bad as he can. Politics is a bitch sometimes.

Matty
01-15-2015, 08:09 AM
How many companies don't give paid sick leave (at least 7 days per year) to full time employees? Is this another manufactured issue MSM can bash the GOP with in what they call "news" these days.

That's what I was thinking. Our hospital granted six days for illness, many times abused, and you earned PDO with longevity. Starting with two weeks and when I retired at 30 years I had 8 weeks.

The sick days, as I said were heavily abused. It was amazing how many times a person became sick on Friday when they had the weekend off, or called in sick the day before and after their vacations started and ended.

donttread
01-15-2015, 08:10 AM
And let federal workers use vacation, sick time and disability after having a child like everyfreakinbodyelse

BB-35
01-15-2015, 08:28 AM
Newspaper I worked for had us earn sick days as we worked as well....and gave us a bonus at the end of the year,depending on if we used them at all,or how many days we had left

Captain Obvious
01-15-2015, 08:29 AM
It will never pass.

Just the O'bama teeing up a grandstanding "but the Republicans... blah blah" tirade.

Common
01-15-2015, 08:41 AM

Most likely none do peter, thats the point THEY SHOULD, everyone gets sick and they should be allowed to get sick a reasonable amount of time at home when sick.
Require Dr notes.

Its been studied and proven that giving public sector employees sick days save MONEY, because they dont come to work sick and make everyone else sick.

Its absolutely ridiculous that white color workers get paid when their sick and their employees that make SQUAT do not.

Captain Obvious
01-15-2015, 08:43 AM

Most do, some don't.

The labor market is a lot like retail, supply and demand.

With unemployment being up so much it's a sellers market, companies can offer less for labor because it's in high supply. This means they can pay shit and give minimal benefits.

With unemployment going down and the economy gaining more momentum that will shift a bit, employees will start to be more selective about who they work for.

In any rate, the feds need to stay the fuck out of this market, especially at this point.

nic34
01-15-2015, 08:46 AM
Most likely none do peter, thats the point THEY SHOULD, everyone gets sick and they should be allowed to get sick a reasonable amount of time at home when sick.
Require Dr notes.

Its been studied and proven that giving public sector employees sick days save MONEY, because they dont come to work sick and make everyone else sick.

Its absolutely ridiculous that white color workers get paid when their sick and their employees that make SQUAT do not.

Exactly.

(common, the spell checker is your friend) :grin:

sachem
01-15-2015, 08:54 AM
That's what I was thinking. Our hospital granted six days for illness, many times abused, and you earned PDO with longevity. Starting with two weeks and when I retired at 30 years I had 8 weeks.

The sick days, as I said were heavily abused. It was amazing how many times a person became sick on Friday when they had the weekend off, or called in sick the day before and after their vacations started and ended.We could use our earned time any way we wanted. We earned it based on vacation, sick, holiday and personal days. When I started 30 years ago it was three weeks vacation, ten holidays and ten sick days and two personal days. The only thing limited were the number of absences per year, based on full or part time status. Full timers (RNs) could have 7 absences of up to 4 days each per year before a doctor's note was required. That was 37 days a year to do with what you will. It has increased, obviously, over the years. Vacation time that is.

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 08:58 AM
For 30 years my husband had unscheduled, unpaid vacations....most folks call 'em lay-offs. Construction work is different...no holiday pay, no sick pay, no vacation pay. You work when there is a job...you look for another job when there isn't. Makes life interesting.

sachem
01-15-2015, 09:05 AM
For 30 years my husband had unscheduled, unpaid vacations....most folks call 'em lay-offs. Construction work is different...no holiday pay, no sick pay, no vacation pay. You work when there is a job...you look for another job when there isn't. Makes life interesting.Yup. It sure does.

lynn
01-15-2015, 09:23 AM
Making employees get a note from their doctor proving to a employer that they were sick is stupid and creates an unnecessary burden on a already stressed healthcare system. Many illnesses or ailments do not require a doctor's attention, bed rest and time allows people to return to work more efficiently then making them see a doctor that can do nothing to cure their current illness.

Ransom
01-15-2015, 09:29 AM

But that is to their full time employees, we know the Admin considers 30 hour a week workers full time, even counting them in their employment numbers.

The legislative proposal is modeled on a bill by Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., and Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash. Their proposal would apply to companies that employ at least 15 workers. Employees at those companies would earn one hour of paid sick time for every 30 hours worked, up to 56 hours of paid sick time a year.DeLauro, who first introduced that bill in 2005 with the late Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., applauded Obama's proposal.
"Workplaces need to respond to the reality of family life in the 21st century, and allowing employees to have seven sick days a year is a bare minimum," she said. "The fact that the United States is one of just a handful of countries that does not require paid family or sick leave is nothing short of shameful."

Nothing sort of "shameful?"

Mac-7
01-15-2015, 09:37 AM
Making employees get a note from their doctor proving to a employer that they were sick is stupid and creates an unnecessary burden on a already stressed healthcare system. Many illnesses or ailments do not require a doctor's attention, bed rest and time allows people to return to work more efficiently then making them see a doctor that can do nothing to cure their current illness.

If they are really sick most good employees can get unpaid absences from work.

nic34
01-15-2015, 09:39 AM
If they are really sick most good employees can get unpaid absences from work.

If they are "really sick" they may need more than a day or two, and cannot afford an unpaid absence from work.

Mac-7
01-15-2015, 09:52 AM
If they are "really sick" they may need more than a day or two, and cannot afford an unpaid absence from work.

They should manage their money better and save a little for rainy days or unpaid sick leave.

But Obama wants to relieve Obama voters of the need to think responsibly or even to think at all.

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 09:54 AM
if those lazy workers planned their lives better, they would never be ill....just work until they drop dead...they need to plan to drop outside the company property so they don't interfere with production

Ransom
01-15-2015, 09:55 AM

You can purchase short term disability and supplemental insurance policies in case you get sick. Most companies also allow you to use your vacation time for sick days if necessary. Why is everyone a victim when you discuss issues?

Ransom
01-15-2015, 09:57 AM
if those lazy workers planned their lives better, they would never be ill....just work until they drop dead...they need to plan to drop outside the company property so they don't interfere with production

But liberals never consider the company's issues either. Our neighbors to the north for example, can get a year off for a birth of a child for example. Look to how technology works today, what drives business. A worker coming back after a year may face costs to the corporation such as training, other people must take up the slack when any worker goes on leave. Two sides of every argument liberals rarely understand, why is that?

Mac-7
01-15-2015, 10:02 AM

Now we have made you angry.

No one said they can't get sick.

But the company cannot be responsible for every unlucky thing that happens to an employee.

Most workers can or should be able to afford a few days off without pay.

Professor Peabody
01-15-2015, 10:19 AM
This rings empty to me, after 6yrs of doing nothing and catering to wall street and big bankers and giving billions in subsidies.

He knows this will never get past the GOP senate and house. The GOP pass' NOTHING for the little guy.

They will claim this will close down most of americas business and kill the economy and give CEO heart attacks and cause investors to arm themselves with assault rifles and run around shooting wall street. OMG we cant do that now can we. <smirk>

President Obama will call on Congress to require companies to give workers up to seven days of paid sick leave a year, a senior adviser said Wednesday.Obama will also take executive action to give at least six weeks of paid leave to federal employees after the birth or adoption of a child, Senior White House Adviser Valerie Jarrett said.
And Obama wants Congress to spend $2.2 billion to help states and cities develop paid family leave programs.
Jarrett announced the new initiatives in a post on the job networking site LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-we-think-paid-leave-workers-right-privilege-valerie-jarrett) -- a venue chosen, she said, because its audience was best positioned to drive change in their own workplaces.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/01/14/obama-child-care-paid-leave/21768969/

I don't know the exact ratio, but I earn sick leave and paid leave time with every paycheck even though I'm part time and work 27 hours a week.

Peter1469
01-15-2015, 10:22 AM
I think you are taking a minor problem and trying to make it look big. I suspect it is a problem for part time workers. When I worked part time, if I was sick, I just shifted my schedule around to make up the lost time.
Require Dr notes.

Mac-7
01-15-2015, 10:28 AM

Studied by who?

Just find some lib academics who are on your side, give them some grant money and they will write you a summary page that you can point to with pride.

Professor Peabody
01-15-2015, 10:32 AM
But that is to their full time employees, we know the Admin considers 30 hour a week workers full time, even counting them in their employment numbers.

The legislative proposal is modeled on a bill by Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., and Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash. Their proposal would apply to companies that employ at least 15 workers. Employees at those companies would earn one hour of paid sick time for every 30 hours worked, up to 56 hours of paid sick time a year.DeLauro, who first introduced that bill in 2005 with the late Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., applauded Obama's proposal.
"Workplaces need to respond to the reality of family life in the 21st century, and allowing employees to have seven sick days a year is a bare minimum," she said. "The fact that the United States is one of just a handful of countries that does not require paid family or sick leave is nothing short of shameful."

Nothing sort of "shameful?"

I work for a wonderful employer that gives everyone paid leave time and sick time on a per hour basis depending on the hours you work. I'm part time working 27 hours a week and I get the benefits too. Since I rarely use either I can cash out a certain amount per year if I don't use them. It's for the reason we are treated so well by our employer, it's very difficult to get a job there. It's called the free market and folks just need to say NO to crappy employers, they will have to raise wages and compensation by virtue of not being able to find anyone to work for them. I guess that's why having unsuspecting illegal immigrants to dupe is so important.

BB-35
01-15-2015, 10:57 AM
Back in 1985,I had been working for the paper a few years,when I got the dreaded cancer diagnosis,and had to take a leave of absence...My employer told me that I'd have a job somewhere,if not at my old position at the paper,Plus he paid my salary for an extra 6 weeks,even though he didn't have to....Guess it all really boils down to the character of the people you work for.

hanger4
01-15-2015, 11:00 AM
For 30 years my husband had unscheduled, unpaid vacations....most folks call 'em lay-offs. Construction work is different...no holiday pay, no sick pay, no vacation pay. You work when there is a job...you look for another job when there isn't. Makes life interesting.

As I've attempted to explain to others here, ALL construction is

temporary as are the Keystone jobs and the proposed infrastructure

jobs bill.

hanger4
01-15-2015, 11:07 AM
Back in 1985,I had been working for the paper a few years,when I got the dreaded cancer diagnosis,and had to take a leave of absence...My employer told me that I'd have a job somewhere,if not at my old position at the paper,Plus he paid my salary for an extra 6 weeks,even though he didn't have to....Guess it all really boils down to the character of the people you work for.

And the character of the employee.

hanger4
01-15-2015, 11:13 AM

I would suspect that most if not all the employers that require a

doctors note have had the privilege of sick days/leave taken

advantage of in the past.

domer76
01-15-2015, 11:16 AM
I work for a wonderful employer that gives everyone paid leave time and sick time on a per hour basis depending on the hours you work. I'm part time working 27 hours a week and I get the benefits too. Since I rarely use either I can cash out a certain amount per year if I don't use them. It's for the reason we are treated so well by our employer, it's very difficult to get a job there. It's called the free market and folks just need to say NO to crappy employers, they will have to raise wages and compensation by virtue of not being able to find anyone to work for them. I guess that's why having unsuspecting illegal immigrants to dupe is so important.

And, in return, you appreciate your employer and probably do a better job because of it. Very few people are so altruistic that they do a great job for a crappy employer.

BB-35
01-15-2015, 11:25 AM
And the character of the employee.
True,true...

hanger4
01-15-2015, 11:29 AM
And, in return, you appreciate your employer and probably do a better job because of it. Very few people are so altruistic that they do a great job for a crappy employer.

And there-in lies a problem. Crappy employer or not

an honest days work for the man/company that

pay your wages is the right thing to do. If ya don't

don't like the man or the job leave, don't steal.

nathanbforrest45
01-15-2015, 01:09 PM
When I was in the Teamsters we did not get paid sick days.

When I left the union and went to work for a real company we did get sick leave. Most companies today give 5 to 10 days sick leave per year which is abused by those taking time off by claiming to be sick

nathanbforrest45
01-15-2015, 01:13 PM
I WANT MY EMPLOYER TO PAY FOR MY AUTO INSURANCE
ITS NOT FAIR THAT I MUST PAY FOR MY OWN AUTO INSURANCE
AFTER ALL IF I HAVE AN ACCIDENT AND MY CAR IS OUT OF COMMISSION I CAN'T COME TO WORK IF I CAN'T GET IT FIXED. THEN WHAT?

I DEMAND MY EMPLOYER PAY FOR MY CAR INSURANCE

Oh wait, I own the business already and my boss (me) does pay for my car insurance.

nathanbforrest45
01-15-2015, 01:20 PM

If the crappy employer pays you the salary you agreed on when hired then it is not alturistic to work to the best of your ability. You have a moral obligation to do so.

Professor Peabody
01-15-2015, 03:05 PM

Not something you can legislate.

Professor Peabody
01-15-2015, 03:07 PM

Then the crappy employer will need to change, go out of business or hire Obama's newly legal illegals.