PDA

View Full Version : Vw > gm

Ransom
01-15-2015, 09:52 AM
General Motors Co. set a company record last year for global sales, but it was outsold by German automaker Volkswagen AG.
Now both companies are waiting to see if Toyota Motor Corp. will retain its global sales crown. Toyota, which is expected to report sales next week, was the world's top-selling automaker in 2012 and 2013.
GM sold just over 9.92 million cars and trucks in 2014, up 2 percent from the previous year. Sales rose 14 percent in China and 6 percent in North America, but fell 10 percent in Europe — where GM has begun pulling out the Chevrolet brand — and 15 percent in South America, where sales were hurt by currency fluctuations and other issues.
GM fell behind Volkswagen AG, which sold 10.14 million vehicles last year.
Volkswagen also beat GM in sales in 2013. But that year, GM would have won if Volkswagen removed sales of its industrial truck brands, like Scania and MAN. GM doesn't make heavy industrial trucks.
In 2014, Volkswagen outsold GM by 15,000 vehicles even without its heavy truck sales, which totaled 199,900.

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/01/gm-sets-sales-record-falls-behind-volkswagen

VW....sells more vehicles than does GM? Chrysler of course sold to the Italians(Fiat) by the Obama Admin.

I remember the cries from the Left's campaign, GM is alive, OBL is dead.

GM slipping behind it's foreign competition, Islamic Extremism as we all know anything but "on the run."

Safety
01-15-2015, 09:58 AM
General Motors Co. set a company record last year for global sales, but it was outsold by German automaker Volkswagen AG.
Now both companies are waiting to see if Toyota Motor Corp. will retain its global sales crown. Toyota, which is expected to report sales next week, was the world's top-selling automaker in 2012 and 2013.
GM sold just over 9.92 million cars and trucks in 2014, up 2 percent from the previous year. Sales rose 14 percent in China and 6 percent in North America, but fell 10 percent in Europe — where GM has begun pulling out the Chevrolet brand — and 15 percent in South America, where sales were hurt by currency fluctuations and other issues.
Volkswagen also beat GM in sales in 2013. But that year, GM would have won if Volkswagen removed sales of its industrial truck brands, like Scania and MAN. GM doesn't make heavy industrial trucks.
In 2014, Volkswagen outsold GM by 15,000 vehicles even without its heavy truck sales, which totaled 199,900.

VW....sells more vehicles than does GM? Chrysler of course sold to the Italians(Fiat) by the Obama Admin.

GM slipping behind it's foreign competition, Islamic Extremism as we all know anything but "on the run."

I have no doubt that the airbag and ignition issue didn't help GM at all. I own three VW, all diesel and all get over 45mpg on highway. GM is playing catch up with their new cruz diesel, and their level of cars they are producing are vastly improved from what they were before.

Captain Obvious
01-15-2015, 10:04 AM
The US auto industry is doomed.

It's in a vegetative state, being kept alive by taxpayer intubation.

Pull the plug and the patient dies on the table.

You can't compete when your most significant cost (labor) is twice that of your competitors.

German auto manufacturers are a different breed, they're thriving on brand name. Just cutting the liberal knee-jerk "whut about Germany" response.

Cigar
01-15-2015, 10:13 AM
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Wow ... what else can I do but laugh.

More Predictions from Losers :laugh:

Mac-7
01-15-2015, 10:17 AM
Most of the cars and trucks sold in America are made in America.

And that includes the German, Japanese and South Korean brands.

But increasingly they are being made with non union labor.

Safety
01-15-2015, 10:20 AM

I agree, hecho en mexico.

Captain Obvious
01-15-2015, 10:23 AM
And again, yet another huge progressive failure.

Unions killed the steel industry, they're sucking the last drops of blood out of the auto industry now.

When those jobs are gone, who then will they leech from?

Hence why unions are so politically motivated because they have nothing to do with labor or workers rights, but everything to do with preserving the institution.

Cigar
01-15-2015, 10:33 AM
The Unpopular, Successful Auto Bailout
In late 2008, Chrysler and General Motors told America that they were in danger of folding. George W. Bush agreed (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/20/business/20auto.html) to a temporary bailout, but handed the auto companies' long-term future over to his successor, President-Elect Barack Obama. Obama then shepherded a comprehensive bailout of the two companies that allowed them to stay in business but imposed numerous conditions that, it was hoped, would secure their viability and allow the companies to eventually return to profitability.

How you saw this series of events depended a lot on where you stood politically. If you were a progressive, you saw that Obama selected the best of unattractive options. While he didn't particularly want the government running car companies, the alternative was to let them go out of business right at the moment when the economy was reeling from the worst downturn since the Great Depression. At stake were not only the jobs of all of GM and Chrysler's employees, but the jobs of people who worked for hundreds of suppliers, from stereo manufacturers to steel and rubber producers. Estimates of the potential job losses topped one million. So he did what had to be done.

If you're a conservative, on the other hand, the auto bailout was part of Obama's government power grab. Eager to amass power and increase the federal government's control of the economy, he took the opportunity to take over the auto industry, serving his thirst for centralized control.

These competing interpretations offer a textbook case of the "fundamental attribution error," in which we assume that our own behavior (or that of people we like) is a response to circumstance, while others' behavior (or that of people we don't like) is a function of their inherent nature. There's something else going on, too: once we make a value judgment about which policy choice is right, we tend to follow that up with a bunch of empirical predictions about what practical effects each alternative will produce. And when that happens, one side can be proven right, and the other side can be proven wrong.

DETROIT, May 24 (Reuters) - Chrysler Group LLC was set on Tuesday to repay $7.5 billion in U.S. and Canadian government loans from its 2009 federal bailout, a move that will allow the U.S. automaker to distance itself from an unpopular bailout and deepen its ties with Italian automaker Fiat SpA (FIA.MI).

Under the original terms, Chrysler had until 2017 to repay the debt.

Sergio Marchionne, the chief executive of Fiat and Chrysler, is scheduled to appear at a Chrysler assembly plant in Sterling heights, Michigan, Tuesday afternoon to express thank to the governments for their financial support. Also at the event will be Ron Bloom, the Obama administration's point man on auto restructuring, and General Holiefield, head of the United Auto Workers union's Chrysler department.

The jobs were saved, the economy was helped, and the government gets repaid ahead of schedule. GM too is earning (http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/05/news/companies/gm_earnings/index.htm) healthy profits again, allowing the government to divest itself of its GM stock. So: everybody wins.

It doesn't seem to have been polled in a while, but back in 2009 the auto bailout was extremely unpopular (http://www.pollingreport.com/business2.htm). But it's hard to imagine that Republicans are going to want to talk much about how they preferred to see Chrysler and GM liquidated. Nevertheless, if you forced them to, I'm sure they could come up with reasons why the turnaround in the industry proves nothing, and the bailout was still a bad idea.

http://prospect.org/article/unpopular-successful-auto-bailout

http://www.westacad.ch/files/newsletters/0901-elvis.jpg

Captain Obvious
01-15-2015, 10:35 AM
The Unpopular, Successful Auto Bailout

In late 2008, Chrysler and General Motors told America that they were in danger of folding. George W. Bush agreed (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/20/business/20auto.html) to a temporary bailout, but handed the auto companies' long-term future over to his successor, President-Elect Barack Obama. Obama then shepherded a comprehensive bailout of the two companies that allowed them to stay in business but imposed numerous conditions that, it was hoped, would secure their viability and allow the companies to eventually return to profitability.

How you saw this series of events depended a lot on where you stood politically. If you were a progressive, you saw that Obama selected the best of unattractive options. While he didn't particularly want the government running car companies, the alternative was to let them go out of business right at the moment when the economy was reeling from the worst downturn since the Great Depression. At stake were not only the jobs of all of GM and Chrysler's employees, but the jobs of people who worked for hundreds of suppliers, from stereo manufacturers to steel and rubber producers. Estimates of the potential job losses topped one million. So he did what had to be done.

If you're a conservative, on the other hand, the auto bailout was part of Obama's government power grab. Eager to amass power and increase the federal government's control of the economy, he took the opportunity to take over the auto industry, serving his thirst for centralized control.

These competing interpretations offer a textbook case of the "fundamental attribution error," in which we assume that our own behavior (or that of people we like) is a response to circumstance, while others' behavior (or that of people we don't like) is a function of their inherent nature. There's something else going on, too: once we make a value judgment about which policy choice is right, we tend to follow that up with a bunch of empirical predictions about what practical effects each alternative will produce. And when that happens, one side can be proven right, and the other side can be proven wrong.

DETROIT, May 24 (Reuters) - Chrysler Group LLC was set on Tuesday to repay $7.5 billion in U.S. and Canadian government loans from its 2009 federal bailout, a move that will allow the U.S. automaker to distance itself from an unpopular bailout and deepen its ties with Italian automaker Fiat SpA (FIA.MI).

Under the original terms, Chrysler had until 2017 to repay the debt.

Sergio Marchionne, the chief executive of Fiat and Chrysler, is scheduled to appear at a Chrysler assembly plant in Sterling heights, Michigan, Tuesday afternoon to express thank to the governments for their financial support. Also at the event will be Ron Bloom, the Obama administration's point man on auto restructuring, and General Holiefield, head of the United Auto Workers union's Chrysler department.

The jobs were saved, the economy was helped, and the government gets repaid ahead of schedule. GM too is earning (http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/05/news/companies/gm_earnings/index.htm) healthy profits again, allowing the government to divest itself of its GM stock. So: everybody wins.

It doesn't seem to have been polled in a while, but back in 2009 the auto bailout was extremely unpopular (http://www.pollingreport.com/business2.htm). But it's hard to imagine that Republicans are going to want to talk much about how they preferred to see Chrysler and GM liquidated. Nevertheless, if you forced them to, I'm sure they could come up with reasons why the turnaround in the industry proves nothing, and the bailout was still a bad idea.

http://prospect.org/article/unpopular-successful-auto-bailout

http://www.westacad.ch/files/newsletters/0901-elvis.jpg

Liberal blog, dismissed.

The fact that they needed bailed out is all you need to know about the industry.

A bailout didn't fix anything, it just propped the corpse up a bit to make it look healthier.

Safety
01-15-2015, 10:37 AM
Liberal blog, dismissed.

The fact that they needed bailed out is all you need to know about the industry.

A bailout didn't fix anything, it just propped the corpse up a bit to make it look healthier.

Weekend at Bernie's 1 or 2?

Captain Obvious
01-15-2015, 10:39 AM
Weekend at Bernie's 1 or 2?

I introduced my 11yr old to that genre of comedy and I can't find II anywhere, streamed or rented.

Same for Throw Momma from the Train" - can't find them anywhere except to purchase.

BB-35
01-15-2015, 10:42 AM
I agree, hecho en mexico.

My GMC truck was made in Canada...

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 10:43 AM
pssstt...we have a new, huge steel mill operating about 50 miles from my swamp. We have Kia, Mercedes and others building cars in new state of the art factories in my area. Welcome to the new third world. While American companies are leaving for tax benefits, foreign investors seem to love the place....go figure

Captain Obvious
01-15-2015, 10:44 AM

They're all made either by fatbacks or wetbacks.

... ok, just kidding - relax.

:biglaugh:

Safety
01-15-2015, 10:44 AM

Still America.

Safety
01-15-2015, 10:46 AM
pssstt...we have a new, huge steel mill operating about 50 miles from my swamp. We have Kia, Mercedes and others building cars in new state of the art factories in my area. Welcome to the new third world. While American companies are leaving for tax benefits, foreign investors seem to love the place....go figure

Yea, I remember driving down 85 and seeing "KIA blvd", KIA water towers, and their testing track. Nice facility.

Safety
01-15-2015, 10:48 AM
I introduced my 11yr old to that genre of comedy and I can't find II anywhere, streamed or rented.

Same for Throw Momma from the Train" - can't find them anywhere except to purchase.

Might have to invest in a Roku and install the "unapproved app" library. You can find a bunch of movies (including B movies) streaming from other countries.

hanger4
01-15-2015, 10:48 AM

Mostly it's less expensive, or a wash, to build here than

ship and pay import costs from Europe and Japan.

Not to mention those new plants are non-union I bet.

Safety
01-15-2015, 10:58 AM

I almost forgot, I was staying in Montgomery last Feb. for two weeks, and the local Resident Inn was serving regular eggs and bacon, but also had kimchi and rice for breakfast. I asked the lady preparing the food why the kimchi and rice, she said the Hyundai plant nearby always had workers staying here and they requested the specialty breakfast. I had kimchi before and it they did it quite decently, but I could only imagine the "outrage" of some of our brethren here that they "catered" to different cultures in 'Murica.....

Cigar
01-15-2015, 11:01 AM

My 2013 Enclave was built in Lansing Michigan :grin:

My 1999 Corvette Z51 was built in Bowling Green Kentucky :grin:

My 1970 Buick Skylark GS Stage I built in Flint Michigan :grin:

Crepitus
01-15-2015, 11:02 AM

You're drawing parallels between auto sales and terrorism?

Crepitus
01-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Liberal blog, dismissed.

Do you feel the same about the bank bailouts?

Howey
01-15-2015, 12:40 PM

Another post unsorted and misleading!

I'm still amazed at the right's fervent desire for this country to fail just because a niggrah was elected president.

Howey
01-15-2015, 12:43 PM
http://www.thestreet.mobi/story/12690707/1/10-most-american-made-cars-of-2014.html

Mr. Right
01-15-2015, 01:07 PM

They love the "right to work" states. I'm sure Union Pigs are banging on the gates like they did the oilfield marine industry in S. Ala. LA, and TX. They left pissed off. I saw a pic of a person I fired standing shoulder to shoulder with one of those pigs. I fired him for mopping decks with straight bleach in the middle of the night. With a living space of less than 500 sq. feet for 5 men, that is significant. What an idiot.

hanger4
01-15-2015, 01:08 PM

Yes he does. As stated by most if not all the non leftists on this forum.

The bail-out recipients should have been allowed to fail. The Feds have

no business picking winners and losers.

Captain Obvious
01-15-2015, 01:13 PM

Yup.

They should have let the free market take it's course. Let a few of them drown then next time Wall St. thinks twice about swimming past the breakers.

hanger4
01-15-2015, 01:17 PM
I'm still amazed at the right's fervent desire for this country to fail just because a niggrah was elected president.

I'm amazed at the left interjecting race every time someone

disagrees with Obama's policies. Are you/left so devoid of an

argument/rebuttal to policy disagreements that the

R-Card must be thrown ??

BB-35
01-15-2015, 01:19 PM

R-Card must be thrown ??
Why yes,yes they are!

Safety
01-15-2015, 01:22 PM

R-Card must be thrown ??

Well, when the "argument/rebuttal to policy disagreements" fail the sniff test (complaining about Obama's policy, but not Bush's when it's the same policy) one then looks for other answers to the question.

I guess I'll get another "apples to oranges" response because Bush isn't president....

Ransom
01-15-2015, 01:37 PM
You're drawing parallels between auto sales and terrorism?

It was your Messiah who made the parallel, in fact, used it in the 2012 campaign.

3 years later, GM falls behind VW in global sales(safety making some great points on why that is), and terror isn't running anywhere, it's actually been quite out front.

Reality doesn't make you look good, hopefully the GOP could take advantage of that glaring fact in 2016. We did just last year.

Ransom
01-15-2015, 01:45 PM
Another post unsorted and misleading!

I ask how something like this gets through the filters.

You can earn the ignore list with more comments like this...and.....the easiest method of posting is the race card. Old. Used. It's the boy who cried wolf story that everyone has already read.

Uncle Rans gets slingshot banned, this thread crime ignored, I gotta wonder sometimes. But that's the extent of it. I don't believe in reporting posts or members, one cannot take this entertainment seriously. But you do have to ask yourself sometimes......:wtf20:

silvereyes
01-15-2015, 01:45 PM

Walmart will order it for five bux.

silvereyes
01-15-2015, 01:46 PM
http://putlocker.is/watch-weekend-at-bernies-online-free-putlocker.html

Pssst

hanger4
01-15-2015, 01:56 PM
Well, when the "argument/rebuttal to policy disagreements" fail the sniff test (complaining about Obama's policy, but not Bush's when it's the same policy) one then looks for other answers to the question.

Not true at all Safety There were and are still many many disagreements with Bush

policies from fiscal to the wars by most all the right of centers here.

I guess I'll get another "apples to oranges" response because Bush isn't president....

I'm sorry the "apples to oranges" comparison bothered you , but to compare

the teachings of the Bible to the commands of death and subjectification in the

Quran is foolishly ignorant when both are so easily available to read.

Safety
01-15-2015, 02:05 PM
Not true at all Safety There were and are still many many disagreements with Bush

policies from fiscal to the wars by most all the right of centers here.

Oh, I'm sure there were many disagreements from the "right of centers" here. Unfortunately, I was not here at that time, but I was on a sister site, and if there were "many, many" disagreements about Bush, I guess it was only shown here.

I'm sorry the "apples to oranges" comparison bothered you , but to compare

the teachings of the Bible to the commands of death and subjectification in the

Quran is foolishly ignorant when both are so easily available to read.

Oh, it didn't bother me in the least. Find where I was comparing the teachings of the Bible to the commands of death in the Quran. I was comparing the act of condemning a group of people for the actions of a few. I also explained that in the thread where you just referenced...so not to take it further off-topic here, you can go there and read my response.

Ransom
01-15-2015, 02:50 PM

What policies would those be exactly?

Captain Obvious
01-15-2015, 03:45 PM
Walmart will order it for five bux.

Awesome, I'm telling the wife now.