PDA

View Full Version : A Cuba Vacation

exotix
01-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Just In

U.S. Government ~ New Cuba Travel, Trade Rules Will Start Friday

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/u-s-cuba-relations/new-cuba-travel-trade-rules-will-start-friday-u-s-n286721

Decades of U.S. trade and travel restrictions on Cuba will come to an end on Friday, the government announced in the first tangible step towards restoring diplomatic ties between Washington and Havana.

New rules will allow Americans to travel to the country without a license - as long as they go for approved reasons - and use their U.S. credit or debit cards, the U.S.

Departments of Commerce and Treasury said in a statement.Cubans living in the U.S. will also have their quarterly remittances increased from $500 to $2,000 per quarter, allowing them to send home more money.

Officials said approved reasons for travel include business or family visits, and that tourism from the U.S. to Cuba was still prohibited by Congress.

Travel agents and airlines will be authorized to provide services without needing a specific permit under the new rules.

That means U.S. airlines could soon be free to launch normal scheduled flights to Cuba.

"Today's announcement takes us one step closer to replacing out of date policies that were not working and puts in place a policy that helps promote political and economic freedom for the Cuban people," Treasury secretary Jacob Lew said in a news release.

Tourists ride a U.S.-made 1957 Chevrolet Bel-Air convertible on Havana's seafront boulevard "El Malecon" May 21, 2013, despite the U.S. embargo and prohibition on American tourism. to Cuba, tens of thousands of tourists enter the Caribbean island each year via third countries like Canada, Jamaica, Mexico and the Bahamas.

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/v2_article_large/public/2014/12/19/american-tourists-cuba_0.jpg?itok=2-1vPBk-

Private Pickle
01-15-2015, 01:26 PM
I'd go... In about 3 years or so...

The Xl
01-15-2015, 01:28 PM
I'd go... In about 3 years or so...

Agreed, it would be dumb and risky to go now.

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 01:31 PM
Looking forward to travel to Cuba! The city of Mobile has been Sister-Cities with Havana for many years...before it was politically accepted. The city also has an unused cruise terminal. Who knows, maybe Cuba will remember who was friendly when others were not.

Private Pickle
01-15-2015, 01:32 PM

Yup.

Ethereal
01-15-2015, 01:33 PM
I'd love to visit Cuba. Hopefully the CIA doesn't ruin it.

exotix
01-16-2015, 12:22 AM
'You are allowed to bring back $100 worth of Cuban Cigars' ... which is about 4 ... http://s8.tinypic.com/2h6ejnt_th.jpg

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/u-s-cuba-relations/dont-pack-your-bags-cuba-just-yet-n287031

Videos Inside

http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2015_03/850801/150115-havana-jsw-333p_3fdabf695f7360f623261a529f3cdbb2.nbcnews-fp-1760-600.jpg

Redrose
01-16-2015, 12:34 AM
I have no desire to go there. I'm not into warm weather destinations. I'd rather go to Aspen, or Stowehof Inn, Stowe Vermont.

maineman
01-16-2015, 12:43 AM
Americans living in Mexico go to Cuba all the time! They do not stamp your passports, only a document they insert in the passport booklet that you can easily remove when you leave. I have tons of friends who have gone and have had a fabulous experience. We were going to go this last September but opted for Italy instead. We hope to travel to Havana later this spring. The plane ride is just a little over an hour from Cancun and about an hour and a half from Merida.

Peter1469
01-16-2015, 07:22 AM
A lot of guys will go for the cheap prostitutes. Prices are only going to rise as restrictions ease.

PolWatch
01-16-2015, 07:49 AM
:shocked:

Professor Peabody
01-16-2015, 08:25 AM
http://desdelahabanaivan.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/el-fanguito-uno-de-los-barrios-marginales-de-la-habana-620x330.png?w=595&h=316

How about a waterfront Hotel room?

Common Sense
01-16-2015, 09:21 AM

It's not risky at all. It's very safe and there are modern hotels for those that want that and a more authentic experience as well.

I've been...it's great. Very nice people.

Havana is a trip.

Common Sense
01-16-2015, 09:24 AM
http://desdelahabanaivan.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/el-fanguito-uno-de-los-barrios-marginales-de-la-habana-620x330.png?w=595&h=316

How about a waterfront Hotel room?

How about this one instead?

http://cayoblancos.com/files/2014/09/Best-Varadero-Cuba-Hotels-Resorts.gif

Mr. Right
01-16-2015, 09:35 AM
I can just imagine how this place will look in 5 years. I'll bet communism will be a memory. I've heard there's an extensive reef system, so it will be a new scuba and snorkling destination.

Common Sense
01-16-2015, 09:37 AM
I can just imagine how this place will look in 5 years. I'll bet communism will be a memory. I've heard there's an extensive reef system, so it will be a new scuba and snorkling destination.

Geographically the place is amazing.

I hope this will be helpful to the locals. But I'm hoping a mass influx of tourism wont fuck up that beautiful place.

maineman
01-16-2015, 09:39 AM
A lot of guys will go for the cheap prostitutes. Prices are only going to rise as restrictions ease.

prostitutes would need to be pretty cheap to make flying to Cuba to get laid a bargain, don't you think?

And it is somewhat telling that you immediately considered that particular aspect of Cuban tourism. Do you pay for it often?

Common Sense
01-16-2015, 10:13 AM
Speaking of vacations...I still say we need a travel section.

I'm doing a road trip in California in April and would love to hear some advice or tips on that. Driving from LA to San Fran over 11 days.

Peter1469
01-16-2015, 11:25 AM
No. And I have no plans on traveling to Cuba. I prefer medieval European history.

What is the word that comes to mind about people who make assumptions? That is you.

Perverts go there for the underage prostitutes.
prostitutes would need to be pretty cheap to make flying to Cuba to get laid a bargain, don't you think?

And it is somewhat telling that you immediately considered that particular aspect of Cuban tourism. Do you pay for it often?

Peter1469
01-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Wouldn't that be straight up the I-5?

I'm doing a road trip in California in April and would love to hear some advice or tips on that. Driving from LA to San Fran over 11 days.

Matty
01-16-2015, 11:35 AM
Never plan to spend a dollar in Cuba. I would rather go to Alaska, the Grand Canyon or Stone Mountain. I have driven from LA to Las Vegas, To Zion, To salt Lake, To Reno, To Tahoe, To San Francisco and then straight down to San Luis Obispo!

maineman
01-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Never plan to spend a dollar in Cuba. I would rather go to Alaska, the Grand Canyon or Stone Mountain. I have driven from LA to Las Vegas, To Zion, To salt Lake, To Reno, To Tahoe, To San Francisco and then straight down to San Luis Obispo!

quite the world traveler! That must be what gives you that "global perspective" you're so famous for, eh?

Cigar
01-16-2015, 12:11 PM
The United States government on Friday will begin making it easier for Americans to travel to Cuba than it has been for more than half a century, opening the door to a new era of contact between neighbors that have been estranged longer than most of their citizens have been alive.

The Obama administration announced on Thursday a set of new regulations to take effect on Friday easing decades-old restrictions on travel, business and remittances, putting into reality some of the changes promised by President Obama last month when he announced plans to resume normal diplomatic relations with Havana.

Under the new regulations, Americans will now be allowed to travel to Cuba for any of a dozen specific reasons without first obtaining a special license from the government. Airlines and travel agents will be allowed to provide service to Cuba without a specific license. And travelers will be permitted to use credit cards and spend money while in the country and bring back up to $400 in souvenirs, including up to $100 in alcohol or tobacco.

The new regulations will also make it easier for American telecommunications providers and financial institutions to do business with Cuba. Americans will be allowed to send more money to Cubans, up to $2,000 every three months instead of the $500 currently permitted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/16/world/americas/us-eases-decades-old-rules-on-travel-to-cuba.html?_r=0

I wonder if Marco Rubio has his Vacation Plans Scheduled? :laugh:

http://legalinsurrection.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Marco-Rubio-620x396.jpg

momsapplepie
01-16-2015, 12:13 PM
Do you?

Common Sense
01-16-2015, 12:14 PM
Wouldn't that be straight up the I-5?

Nah, the Pacific coast highway. Nothing really to see on the I-5...well, not as much as the PCH.

Common Sense
01-16-2015, 12:15 PM

I really liked Zion. When you go through the tunnel and come out on top, it's like you travelled back in time.

Cigar
01-16-2015, 12:24 PM
Do you?

Seriously thinking about it, but my Vacations for the next three years are already planned.

Maybe a long weekend, gotta check if they have any good Golf Course I can go to.

How about you? :grin:

momsapplepie
01-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Nah, not interested. Plenty of other tropical Islands that aren't communist.

nathanbforrest45
01-16-2015, 01:23 PM
I like good cigars, that is why I would rather go to the Dominican Republic than to Cuba. Cuban cigars are harsh and expensive. I can't think of a single reason I would want to go to Cuba more than to the Dominican.

PolWatch
01-16-2015, 03:33 PM
Duplicate threads merged

Ethereal
01-16-2015, 03:34 PM

I lived in southern California for a few years while I was in the military. If you are starting in LA, then that means you will miss places like San Diego and Orange County, which I hear is a must-see for surfers, and which has the best Mexican food in America (in my opinion). And because it is clear and sunny almost all the time, they have great cafes. I also visited San Francisco and it is one of my favorite cities. Very nice club and bar scene, and the seafood is great. Also visited Hollywood once. It's got a good club and bar scene as well. You will likely be traveling on the I-5 and 405, so do not drive during rush hour (particularly on a Friday or Saturday night) or you will be subjected to the nightmare that is an LA traffic jam. And there is a much bigger police presence in American cities than in Canadian cities, so be mindful of the municipal moving and parking ordinances, because they are also much more aggressive in the enforcement of petty violations of indecipherable parking signs. Also, be careful of red light cameras. They are more likely to be found in major cities, but they sometimes make their way into suburbs. And be mindful of what part of town you are in, because every major American city has a few areas that are pretty dangerous. If you're interested in visiting military installations, then California has lots of those, too, especially Navy and Marines. San Diego is basically a US Navy city.

Common Sense
01-16-2015, 04:17 PM
I lived in southern California for a few years while I was in the military. If you are starting in LA, then that means you will miss places like San Diego and Orange County, which I hear is a must-see for surfers, and which has the best Mexican food in America (in my opinion). And because it is clear and sunny almost all the time, they have great cafes. I also visited San Francisco and it is one of my favorite cities. Very nice club and bar scene, and the seafood is great. Also visited Hollywood once. It's got a good club and bar scene as well. You will likely be traveling on the I-5 and 405, so do not drive during rush hour (particularly on a Friday or Saturday night) or you will be subjected to the nightmare that is an LA traffic jam. And there is a much bigger police presence in American cities than in Canadian cities, so be mindful of the municipal moving and parking ordinances, because they are also much more aggressive in the enforcement of petty violations of indecipherable parking signs. Also, be careful of red light cameras. They are more likely to be found in major cities, but they sometimes make their way into suburbs. And be mindful of what part of town you are in, because every major American city has a few areas that are pretty dangerous. If you're interested in visiting military installations, then California has lots of those, too, especially Navy and Marines. San Diego is basically a US Navy city.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, we're going to miss San Diego and OC...but we might drive into Palm Springs etc...maybe down to the Salton Sea and back to LA. Then we're heading up the coast. Probably stay somewhere around Pismo Beach and then we have a little cottage for a couple of nights up in Carmel. Up to San Fran for a few days and that's about it.

Traffic in Toronto is probably just as bad or worse and we also have red light cameras. But thanks for the heads up. That reminds me, I still have to pay that speeding ticket in Pennsylvania.

Ethereal
01-16-2015, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, we're going to miss San Diego and OC...but we might drive into Palm Springs etc...maybe down to the Salton Sea and back to LA. Then we're heading up the coast. Probably stay somewhere around Pismo Beach and then we have a little cottage for a couple of nights up in Carmel. Up to San Fran for a few days and that's about it.

Traffic in Toronto is probably just as bad or worse and we also have red light cameras. But thanks for the heads up. That reminds me, I still have to pay that speeding ticket in Pennsylvania.

Dang, you're really going to avoid San Diego and Orange County? But what about the surfing and the Mexican food and the cafes? LA proper is mostly a rundown dump anyway... :grin:

Peter1469
01-16-2015, 04:34 PM

I have spent a lot of time in San Diego. To many damn Marines... :wink:

Common Sense
01-16-2015, 04:35 PM
Dang, you're really going to avoid San Diego and Orange County? But what about the surfing and the Mexican food and the cafes? LA proper is mostly a rundown dump anyway... :grin:

I would love to hit up SD and OC...next time. I have to spend a day in LA just to see some friends who live there. I'm not interested in LA. I'm interested in the drive and hitting the coastal spots along the way up to San Fran.

I will miss the Mexican food...but I was also just in Mexico.

Alyosha
01-16-2015, 07:44 PM
I have spent a lot of time in San Diego. To many damn Marines... :wink:

You can never have too many of those!

PolWatch
01-16-2015, 07:45 PM

Alyosha
01-16-2015, 07:48 PM

Um.

Peter1469
01-16-2015, 09:36 PM
You can never have too many of those!

I was just joking. Although they were a menace on the highway.

Professor Peabody
01-17-2015, 03:57 AM
How about this one instead? http://cayoblancos.com/files/2014/09/Best-Varadero-Cuba-Hotels-Resorts.gif Nice place, does it come complete with coolie labor to wait on customers like Maids and Butlers?

maineman
01-17-2015, 09:21 AM
Nice place, does it come complete with coolie labor to wait on customers like Maids and Butlers?

there is elegance and opulence to be had all over the caribbean... and it is usually less expensive than the same level of elegance and opulence in, say, Manhattan or San Francisco.