PDA

View Full Version : New Interview with Mikhail Gorbachev

Conley
08-17-2011, 12:03 PM
In a SPIEGEL interview, Mikhail Gorbachev, 80, discusses the last days of the Soviet Union, his failure to resolve problems with the Communist Party and the ensuing bloodshed he says still troubles him today. He also accuses Vladimir Putin of pulling the country "back into the past."

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,780526,00.html

Interesting stuff...I forgot he was still alive! :-[

Mister D
08-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks. I haven't been to this site in a while. I will read this later today.

Conley
08-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Cool. I haven't finished it yet but it's quite good. Perhaps with his age and poor health he feels he can really let down...it doesn't seem like he held much back. I won't be spoiling it by saying he's not a Yeltsin fan. :D

Mister D
08-17-2011, 01:02 PM
SPIEGEL: Why do so many Russians hate you?

:D :D Geez...

Good interview. Irread it over a chicken parm sandwich. He is hedged his bets when he was asked about the future of democracy in Russia. I also think "relapses into authoritarianism" are possible. They might even be desireable.

MMC
08-17-2011, 01:16 PM
SPIEGEL: Why do so many Russians hate you?

:D :D Geez...

Good interview. Irread it over a chicken parm sandwich. He is hedged his bets when he was asked about the future of democracy in Russia. I also think "relapses into authoritarianism" are possible. They might even be desireable.

This all in the Spiegel Catalog.....wow hardware store items, keds gym shoes and womens housewives clothing to this. Sheesh their catalog has come a longway. Didnt they buy out Woolworths?