PDA

View Full Version : The reinvention of Mitt Romney

Chris
01-18-2015, 11:07 AM
...is irritating liberal progressives. Why? Simple, Mitt's coming out of the closet as a liberal progressive looking to wage war on poverty invades their space, steals their thunder.

The reinvention of Mitt Romney (http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/mitt-romney-poverty-san-diego-114359.html)

Mitt Romney, sudden champion of Americans trying to make ends meet — it’s coming off to progressives and veterans of Obama’s winning re-election campaign as a little too rich.

The 2012 Republican nominee’s sudden return to presidential politics already had them dusting off old attack lines. His reinvention Friday night as an anti-poverty warrior has them in a frenzy of excitement, even glee at what they see as the Democratic Party’s stroke of good luck.

“In a word,” said one of President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign alums, describing the reactions bouncing around on private emails and text messages, “disbelief.”

Another word might be mockery....

...on Friday, he took to the the deck of the U.S.S. Midway to argue to Republican National Committee members in San Diego that Obama’s the one who’s failing to to [sic] close the wage gap between rich and poor.

“Under President Obama, the rich have gotten richer, income inequality has gotten worse and there are more people in poverty than ever before,” Romney said. “Their liberal policies are good every four years for a campaign, but they don’t get the job done.”

Common
01-18-2015, 11:28 AM
Yeah now hes for the poor lol. This will be his third run, the second run he said he wasnt concerned with the 47% that wont vote for him, now hes all for them. lol

Chris
01-18-2015, 11:39 AM
Yeah now hes for the poor lol. This will be his third run, the second run he said he wasnt concerned with the 47% that wont vote for him, now hes all for them. lol

Yea, that seems to be the typical liberal reaction to his reinvention.

I'm curious what the conservative, or rather, Republican reaction is, as it seems antithetical to their views.

PolWatch
01-18-2015, 11:59 AM
Just more proof that politicians will say anything to get elected....surprise, surprise, surprise!

lynn
01-18-2015, 12:12 PM
Romney wins and Obamacare changes to RomneyCare. We will pay even more for it and get even less benefits. Since the attention span of the general public is limited, I wouldn't be surprised if he does win and later everyone again will regret it.

pragmatic
01-18-2015, 12:31 PM
Yo Mitt. No.

Please. Just no...

The Xl
01-18-2015, 12:40 PM
The new and improved Mitt Romney, the same as the old Mitt Romney.

Common
01-18-2015, 02:13 PM
Yea, that seems to be the typical liberal reaction to his reinvention.

I'm curious what the conservative, or rather, Republican reaction is, as it seems antithetical to their views.

Do you think hes genuine ? Do you think its possible to swing so wildly with campaign themes.

How can he not think enough people will see through it.

PolWatch
01-18-2015, 02:17 PM
How can he not think enough people will see through it.

That's an easy answer...I really don't think most people will remember. This is the same logic that assures Washington that no one will remember the Dec 2014 budget votes. I think the average voter will only remember the last 30 second sound byte or the latest campaign ad.

TrueBlue
01-18-2015, 02:19 PM
The new and improved Mitt Romney, the same as the old Mitt Romney.
Yes he is. And here's a look back at when he was running against President Obama and how people felt about him which is about the same as they do now. There are plenty more websites that contain much of the same information and negatives on Romney. People will never forget his 47% comment that will inevitably resurface time and time and again should he decide to run. And many Christians are still very uncomfortable with having a Mormon in the White House.

Bloomberg National Poll: Romney’s Negatives Keep Weighing Him Down

http://themoderatevoice.com/161488/bloomberg-national-poll-romneys-negatives-keep-weighing-him-down/

Common
01-18-2015, 02:20 PM
That's an easy answer...I really don't think most people will remember. This is the same logic that assures Washington that no one will remember the Dec 2014 budget votes. I think the average voter will only remember the last 30 second sound byte or the latest campaign ad.

I dont think he has a chance

Chris
01-18-2015, 02:22 PM
Hope to hell not!

sachem
01-18-2015, 02:27 PM
I dont think he has a chanceDidn't they say that about Nixon?

PolWatch
01-18-2015, 02:35 PM
He has much of a chance as anyone else. 2016 should be the year of the Repubs...they usually take turns and it's not like the Dems have a solid record of achievement to campaign on.

sachem
01-18-2015, 02:38 PM
He has much of a chance as anyone else. 2016 should be the year of the Repubs...they usually take turns and it's not like the Dems have a solid record of achievement to campaign on.My worry, for lack of a better word, is that Mitt may have the only real name recognition by the time 2016 rolls around.

Chris
01-18-2015, 02:39 PM
They took 2014. Will they be popular in 2016 is the question. Popular opinion of Obama has taken a slight uptick, he may not be an albatross round the neck of Dems. Then again, the economy is improving, on it's own of course, but Reps, like Dems will claim it for their own.

PolWatch
01-18-2015, 02:40 PM
My worry, for lack of a better word, is that Mitt may have the only real name recognition by the time 2016 rolls around.

It's frightening to know that you are right! Name recognition has more to do with election than record, platform or reality. Maybe we should go ahead and elect the winner of American Idol? I bet more people watch that than the political debates.

Common
01-18-2015, 02:44 PM
Didn't they say that about Nixon?

Nixon ran twice and won the second correct ? Different circumstances and there wasnt 25 republicans running in primaries back then ripping each other to shreds

Polecat
01-18-2015, 02:47 PM
Nixon ran twice and won the second correct ? Different circumstances and there wasnt 25 republicans running in primaries back then ripping each other to shreds

There was a rather large contingent of guys grabbing for the brass ring from what I remember.

pragmatic
01-20-2015, 05:51 PM

Nixon ran 3 times and won twice.

The second term didn't go all that well....

Bob
01-20-2015, 05:54 PM

Were it me all worried, I would first make sure he plans to run.

Bob
01-20-2015, 05:58 PM
It's frightening to know that you are right! Name recognition has more to do with election than record, platform or reality. Maybe we should go ahead and elect the winner of American Idol? I bet more people watch that than the political debates.

I ran for election a few times. It is just a popularity contest. I won so it is not sour grapes.

Bob
01-20-2015, 06:00 PM
Romney wins and Obamacare changes to RomneyCare. We will pay even more for it and get even less benefits. Since the attention span of the general public is limited, I wouldn't be surprised if he does win and later everyone again will regret it.

Romney wants to repeal Obamacare.

Nobody seems to listen to what Romney is really saying.

He is not claiming he will run in 2016 either.