PDA

View Full Version : Food receitps of your country

kilgram
01-24-2015, 06:30 PM
Potatoes omelette

Ingredients (For 5-6 people)

Measures: metric measures (I am not able to use the Imperial ones)

- Potatoes, 650g
- Onions: 2
- 7 fresh eggs
- Virgin olive oil
- Salt

Preparation
- Peel the potattoes and onions. Then, the potatoes are cut in small slices and the onions in small pieces.

- Heat a frying pan with enough oil and start to fry the potatoes and the sliced onions on it. When the potatoes are very fried take them out and drip (drain) the oil from them.

- The next step is beat the eggs with a little of salt, then add the fried potatoes and onions and mix everything.

- Heat an appropiated size frying pan for the omelette that we want with a little of oil in the deep. Add the mix of potatoes and leave it to curdle at middle heat.

- When the egg has curdled well by the inferior part, we must turn it with a dish bigger than the omelette, and always with a lot of care. Leave the omelette to curdle in the other size and it will be finished.

Meatballs with sauce

Ingredients

- 1/2 kg of minced meat
- 1 egg
- 50 g of bread crumbs
- 100 ml of milk
- Virgin olive oil
- Salt
- Parsley

- For the sauce
- 2 onions
- 1 carrot
- 2 garlic
- 1 spoon of flour
- 1 glass of white whine
- Virgin olive oil
- Salt

- Put the bread crumbs in the milk.

- To make the meatballs, you need to mince the garlic. Mix the meat, the egg, the bread crumbs soak in milk, a little of parsley and salt. Mix all very well.

Take small portions of the mass and give them round form. Then put them on the flour to avoid to be sticky and fry them in a frying pan with a lot of oil. Take it out form the fire and wait.

- For the sauce

Mince the onions, carrot and garlics. Fry lightly the vegetables in a frying pan with a little of oil until they take colour. Season, add flour and fry lightly for a short period of time. Add the wine and if was necessary a little of water or soup. Cook it during 20-25 minutes over low heat.

Put the vegetables in the manual food mill and add the sauce. And finally add the meatballs. Cook the meatballs with the sauce during 10 minutes on low heat. Serve with parsley.

Peter1469
01-24-2015, 06:31 PM
that sounds really good.

thanks.

Mister D
01-24-2015, 06:33 PM
I will try my take on that omelet tomorrow.

Howey
01-24-2015, 06:52 PM
That's called a skillet breakfast. Add some cheese and yummy!

Peter1469
01-24-2015, 07:10 PM
I have a big pan that fits over two burners and I can make lots of yummy breakfast stuff on it. :smiley:

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 07:11 PM
As I am half Polish, this is one of my most favorite Polish foods:
Pierogi:

Dough:

3 cups of all purpose flour
half a teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of boiling water
1/4 cup of cold water
half a teaspoon of oil
Sift the flour into a bowl to remove any lumps. Add the boiling water while vigorously mashing out any lumps that form. Cover and let the dough rest for 5 minutes. Add the cold water and again stir and mash out the lumps. Let the dough rest 15 minutes. Add the oil and knead for 10-15 minutes.

Filling:
1 can or jar of European Sauerkraut - naturally fermented. Rinse well under cold tap water and squeeze until fairly dry.
A dozen good sized brown mushrooms, cleaned and finely sliced and then roughly chopped.
Two medium sized onions, finely diced.
8-12 ounces of cooked pork and/or beef - leftover roast works best.

Fry the onions first until translucent, then add the mushrooms - cook until mushrooms lose their water. Mix in the meat and then add the sauerkraut. Cook until the volume of sauerkraut reduces and it begins to brown. Set aside to cool.

Flour a pastry board or your counter. Roll out the dough until it is about 1/10th of an inch thick. Cut out circles about the size of a standard can or a highball glass. Add mixture to the dough and press the edges until they seal. Be careful not to transfer oil from the mixture to the edges of the dough. Take all the scraps of dough and re roll and repeat.

Fill a large pot with water and set on high. When it comes to a boil, turn it to medium and add the pierogi. When they float to the top they are cooked. Place them on an oiled tray. Don't pile them on top of each other or they will stick together.

Chop another onion finely and fry until the onion gets a little color, then add several pierogi at a time until they begin to brown. Repeat until you have browned all the pierogi. You should end up with 30 or so, depending on the size of your circles.

If you have left over filling, it's really good with broad egg noodles, fried the same way with the mixture added at the end.

PolWatch
01-24-2015, 07:15 PM
that sounds good! I see that in the near future!

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 07:46 PM
that sounds good! I see that in the near future!
I have to admit that it is a bit time consuming to make, but I love them. When I'm feeling lazy, I just make the filling and cook broad egg noodles and fry them a bit and add the filling at the end. It tastes almost the same with half the work.

PolWatch
01-24-2015, 07:48 PM
I have some left over corned beef brisket..how do you think that would work in the recipe?

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 08:17 PM
I have some left over corned beef brisket..how do you think that would work in the recipe?
The flavor might be a bit different, but corned beef and sauerkraut do taste good together. You could serve the pierogi with a nice dijon mustard. I'd skip the mushrooms however, since I don't think they would work that well with the corned beef. If I was using corned beef, since it has a stronger flavor, I wouldn't rinse the sauerkraut as much. You'll want a little more acid. Depending on the sauerkraut that you find, you might taste it first. If it isn't all that sour, I'd just squeeze out the excess liquid and use it as is. You could even add a bit of swiss cheese or mozerella - for more of a reuben flare.

Pierogi are really not much different than Italian ravioli - you can put whatever you want in them, even fruit.

PolWatch
01-24-2015, 08:19 PM
I may try that. I wish I had some my MIL's homemade kraut. She made the best sauerkraut I've ever tasted. I've got her recipe but I've never tried it.

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 08:24 PM
I may try that. I wish I had some my MIL's homemade kraut. She made the best sauerkraut I've ever tasted. I've got her recipe but I've never tried it.
Like making pickles, it takes time to make kraut. I've never tried. I just go to a european deli and find some good naturally fermented sauerkraut, although often my grocer carries some good brands. Never buy the stuff in wine. It's terrible for pierogi.

PolWatch
01-24-2015, 08:29 PM
I did try the recipe one time but it was not successful. One of those disasters I would rather forget. She would make kraut using red cabbage. She only used salt. She tasted it daily and just knew when it was right. We would brown pork chops or steaks & put them on a bed of kraut & bake....so good!

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 08:37 PM
I did try the recipe one time but it was not successful. One of those disasters I would rather forget. She would make kraut using red cabbage. She only used salt. She tasted it daily and just knew when it was right. We would brown pork chops or steaks & put them on a bed of kraut & bake....so good!
Fermenting vegetables is an art and takes practice or the presence of an expert to teach you what to look for. I can see how a small error could ruin the batch.

PolWatch
01-24-2015, 08:40 PM
My husband reminded me that I had tried to make the kraut once....memorable failure! :rollseyes:

Matty
01-24-2015, 08:46 PM
What is this strange word "Receipts"?

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 08:51 PM
What is this strange word "Receipts"?
Don't be mean Matty. You know he meant recipes.

PolWatch
01-24-2015, 08:54 PM
I have trouble spelling correctly and my native language is English...not Spanish. I would hate to see what it would look like if I tried in another language like Kilgram.

nathanbforrest45
01-24-2015, 10:38 PM
put egg in pot of water
bring water to boil
as soon as water begins boiling turn off heat
allow water to cool
take shell off egg
add salt and pepper to egg
eat.

Thank you
No need to send money

PolWatch
01-25-2015, 05:01 PM
Stage one is complete!

PolWatch
01-25-2015, 08:33 PM
Step two was a success too! Husband & I both enjoyed pierogi for the first time.

Dr. Who
01-25-2015, 08:35 PM
Stage one is complete!

So how do they taste? Did you use your leftover corned beef?

Dr. Who
01-25-2015, 08:37 PM
Step two was a success too! Husband & I both enjoyed pierogi for the first time.
Did you have any problems making them?

PolWatch
01-25-2015, 08:43 PM
They were good...the corned beef was good. I used the beef, onions & kraut in the filling. No problem making them. Its the same way I make wontons....fill & then boil until done. I sautéed some onions & then some of the pierogi in butter & oil mixed. I had too many so I froze some to cook another time.

Another good way to disguise leftovers! My husband hates leftovers so I'm always looking for ways to hide 'em. :rollseyes:

Redrose
01-26-2015, 01:44 AM
Potatoes omelette

Ingredients (For 5-6 people)

Measures: metric measures (I am not able to use the Imperial ones)

- Potatoes, 650g
- Onions: 2
- 7 fresh eggs
- Virgin olive oil
- Salt

Preparation
- Peel the potattoes and onions. Then, the potatoes are cut in small slices and the onions in small pieces.

- Heat a frying pan with enough oil and start to fry the potatoes and the sliced onions on it. When the potatoes are very fried take them out and drip (drain) the oil from them.

- The next step is beat the eggs with a little of salt, then add the fried potatoes and onions and mix everything.

- Heat an appropiated size frying pan for the omelette that we want with a little of oil in the deep. Add the mix of potatoes and leave it to curdle at middle heat.

- When the egg has curdled well by the inferior part, we must turn it with a dish bigger than the omelette, and always with a lot of care. Leave the omelette to curdle in the other size and it will be finished.

Meatballs with sauce

Ingredients

- 1/2 kg of minced meat
- 1 egg
- 50 g of bread crumbs
- 100 ml of milk
- Virgin olive oil
- Salt
- Parsley

- For the sauce
- 2 onions
- 1 carrot
- 2 garlic
- 1 spoon of flour
- 1 glass of white whine
- Virgin olive oil
- Salt

- Put the bread crumbs in the milk.

- To make the meatballs, you need to mince the garlic. Mix the meat, the egg, the bread crumbs soak in milk, a little of parsley and salt. Mix all very well.

Take small portions of the mass and give them round form. Then put them on the flour to avoid to be sticky and fry them in a frying pan with a lot of oil. Take it out form the fire and wait.

- For the sauce

Mince the onions, carrot and garlics. Fry lightly the vegetables in a frying pan with a little of oil until they take colour. Season, add flour and fry lightly for a short period of time. Add the wine and if was necessary a little of water or soup. Cook it during 20-25 minutes over low heat.

Put the vegetables in the manual food mill and add the sauce. And finally add the meatballs. Cook the meatballs with the sauce during 10 minutes on low heat. Serve with parsley.

Thank you for that omelette recipe. I have made something very similar using greated potatos and cheddar cheese. Delicious.

Common
01-26-2015, 10:40 PM
My favorite omelet is a farmers omelette. Patato onions and sausage out of the casing. Or pork roll, which is a jersey thing.

Common
01-26-2015, 10:41 PM
They were good...the corned beef was good. I used the beef, onions & kraut in the filling. No problem making them. Its the same way I make wontons....fill & then boil until done. I sautéed some onions & then some of the pierogi in butter & oil mixed. I had too many so I froze some to cook another time.

Another good way to disguise leftovers! My husband hates leftovers so I'm always looking for ways to hide 'em. :rollseyes:

My wife doesnt like leftovers, I wind up eating them myself.

Common
01-26-2015, 10:43 PM

Never had them with corned beef. Patato and cheese is my favorite, but I like mushroom and saukraut and patato. They are Polish Raviolis :)

Dr. Who
01-26-2015, 10:52 PM
Never had them with corned beef. Patato and cheese is my favorite, but I like mushroom and saukraut and patato. They are Polish Raviolis :)
Blame it all on Marco Polo. He brought the notion of pasta to Europe. So many Euro nations have versions of the same thing.

Common
01-26-2015, 10:56 PM
Blame it all on Marco Polo. He brought the notion of pasta to Europe. So many Euro nations have versions of the same thing.

Truth be told that all ethnicities had their belly fillers. When mom couldnt afford to just go to market to buy whatever she wanted, she improvised. Filled bellies and gave as much nutrition as they could with what they could afford. Ravioli pierogi, is flour and some low cost fillings but DAMN are they good :) All ethnicities had their version of soup, a little meat for flavor in a big pot of food.

Common
01-26-2015, 11:00 PM
I work with a good friend in his computer store, he had to go get stitchs out from around his eyes he had surgery. So I opened the shop and worked on a few puters and took some in and some were picked up. Anyway I wouldnt take any money from him, but I made a demand. His wife had to make me either Rum cake or zuchini bread, his wife can bake anything. So im waiting to get paid :)

Dr. Who
01-26-2015, 11:05 PM
Truth be told that all ethnicities had their belly fillers. When mom couldnt afford to just go to market to buy whatever she wanted, she improvised. Filled bellies and gave as much nutrition as they could with what they could afford. Ravioli pierogi, is flour and some low cost fillings but DAMN are they good :) All ethnicities had their version of soup, a little meat for flavor in a big pot of food.
All of that peasant food is the best food, truth be told. The fancy stuff is nice, but it doesn't give you that happy satisfied feeling.

Common
01-26-2015, 11:07 PM
All of that peasant food is the best food, truth be told. The fancy stuff is nice, but it doesn't give you that happy satisfied feeling.

I was raised on peasant food and Its my main diet to this day, with variations for health consciousness. My doctor tells me thats why all my vitals are so damn good. Blood Pressure, Cholesterol and Sugar. I take no medicine for any of that.

Dr. Who
01-26-2015, 11:12 PM
I was raised on peasant food and Its my main diet to this day, with variations for health consciousness. My doctor tells me thats why all my vitals are so damn good. Blood Pressure, Cholesterol and Sugar. I take no medicine for any of that.
The diseases of the wealthy IMO. The peasant diet is higher in vegetables and lower in bad fats.

Common
01-26-2015, 11:17 PM
The diseases of the wealthy IMO. The peasant diet is higher in vegetables and lower in bad fats.

Absolutely, they called the gout the rich mans disease because of rich foods being the major contributor.

Dr. Who
01-26-2015, 11:20 PM
Absolutely, they called the gout the rich mans disease because of rich foods being the major contributor.
People eat too much meat in general - that's one of the prime contributors to things like gout - that and too much butter. On the other hand, some people are just predisposed, for whatever reason.

PolWatch
01-26-2015, 11:39 PM
Common mentioned eggplant parmesan the other day and got me to thinking about it...it's his fault I was forced to make chicken parm tonight....with egg noodles. Sure was good too!

Common
01-26-2015, 11:46 PM
@Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659) mentioned eggplant parmesan the other day and got me to thinking about it...it's his fault I was forced to make chicken parm tonight....with egg noodles. Sure was good too!

Chicken parm is good too, my wife likes that. I dont fry the chicken anymore, I dip it in eggbeaters and italian bread crumbs then bake it. Let it cool add the sauce and mozzarella and bake it ill the cheese melts. Use low fat cheese if you want too, just doesnt melt as well.

Common
01-26-2015, 11:48 PM
People eat too much meat in general - that's one of the prime contributors to things like gout - that and too much butter. On the other hand, some people are just predisposed, for whatever reason.

Yes they do, I dont never did, my wife at more meat growing up than I did but it wasnt as much as many. I just dont crave meat like some people do. When I do get the urge then I eat meat. Its not like im a vegetarian.

PolWatch
01-26-2015, 11:49 PM
I did fry the chicken...but I used olive oil! I haven't tried baking it...will give it a try. I do bake the eggplant without frying when I make eggplant parm. I have used the low-fat cheese so long I wouldn't know how regular does....

Dr. Who
01-26-2015, 11:55 PM
Yes they do, I dont never did, my wife at more meat growing up than I did but it wasnt as much as many. I just dont crave meat like some people do. When I do get the urge then I eat meat. Its not like im a vegetarian.
TBH a whole steak is too much meat for me. I'm good with a pork chop sized piece of meat, depending on the thickness - basically something the size of the palm of your hand or five to six ounces and some greens. Carbs are the things I usually leave behind on my plate. I find them very filling.

PolWatch
01-26-2015, 11:58 PM
We eat mainly chicken or fish...and not that much. Tonight's chicken parm was 1/2 a chicken breast for 2 of us...and we had leftovers!

Captain Obvious
01-29-2015, 12:34 PM
Receipts?

I'm thinking cash register receipts and now realized that bad English translates to the written medium.

:biglaugh: