PDA

View Full Version : White Male Problems

Blackrook
01-29-2015, 09:12 PM
What are white male problems? The consensus on the left is that white males have some sort of privileged status, we are oppressors of everyone else, and we can easily glide into the business world, making friends with other white males, and make business deals and/or get promotions and increases in salary.

And while this may be the case for SOME white males, there are many white males who do not fit in this pattern.

Joining the inner circle, as it were, requires more than whiteness and maleness. It helps to be born to a wealthy family, it helps to attend the right private school, it helps to attend a top university, it helps to be a member of the right fraternity or secret society. It helps to have access to money to start a business enterprise.

Millions of white males are not within that inner circle. They come from poor or working class families. They attend public school. They go to community college, or a state college, but lack the funds to graduate.

And there is no affirmative action for white males who are born to poor families, or go to the wrong schools, or attend lower end colleges. So guys in this circumstance rise on their own merits, or not at all.

But if they start a business, minority owned business will get jobs in preference to theirs on government contracts.

If they get a government job, like fireman or police officer, minorities will be promoted over their heads even if they are more qualified.

If they get fired from a job, they can't sue because no one will believe that a white male was discriminated against because he was a white male.

Who would like to discuss further the plight of white males who are NOT born within the inner circle of privilege that is not affected by affirmative action programs?

sachem
01-29-2015, 09:16 PM
That's quite the chip you have on your shoulder.

Adelaide
01-29-2015, 09:29 PM
The only place I've seen preferential treatment provided to minorities in a work environment is in law enforcement, and part of that is a general consensus that in order to 'reach' a community you must represent it. If majority of a city speaks French, it should be reflective in the police force - but at the same time, English-speaking officers are sought out to represent and help the non-Francophonie. To use a more ethnic version, communities with a higher population of aboriginals tend to have that reflected in the police force.

I know a white male who only speaks English who repeatedly tried to join the provincial police over about 5 years and was turned away in preference for people who would be able to speak a second language (French, or Punjabi or Vietnamese, so forth). In that case, he was passed over while having almost identical qualifications in terms of training, but he lacked the ability to speak the nation's second language or another second or third language. It was kind of discriminatory in a way, but at the same time it's pretty well known that you work for the government in any capacity, including in my job as a contracted company for the government, that you have the ability to speak both languages and that any additional language is a huge bonus. If you are extremely qualified for a government position they will sometimes hire you and then have you take French classes, so the government is also looking at qualifications beyond language.

Otherwise, I know companies receive tax benefits for having a certain percentage of disabled workers, or female workers, or whatever. I have never encountered a company that overlooked qualification for those benefits. As a disabled female who speaks various languages, I have a distinct advantage but most of that honestly has to do with the language aspect. Companies can ask if you have a disability but you are under zero obligation to admit to it since it can be a detriment to have it known. They don't interview me and ask if I have a disability so they'll hire me - that's against the law. Just like asking if I were pregnant would be, or if I'm married.

Blackrook
01-29-2015, 09:31 PM
Having been denied entry into every University of California law school because of affirmative action, yes, I have a chip on my shoulder.

Blackrook
01-29-2015, 09:39 PM
The only place I've seen preferential treatment provided to minorities in a work environment is in law enforcement, and part of that is a general consensus that in order to 'reach' a community you must represent it. If majority of a city speaks French, it should be reflective in the police force - but at the same time, English-speaking officers are sought out to represent and help the non-Francophonie. To use a more ethnic version, communities with a higher population of aboriginals tend to have that reflected in the police force.

I know a white male who only speaks English who repeatedly tried to join the provincial police over about 5 years and was turned away in preference for people who would be able to speak a second language (French, or Punjabi or Vietnamese, so forth). In that case, he was passed over while having almost identical qualifications in terms of training, but he lacked the ability to speak the nation's second language or another second or third language. It was kind of discriminatory in a way, but at the same time it's pretty well known that you work for the government in any capacity, including in my job as a contracted company for the government, that you have the ability to speak both languages and that any additional language is a huge bonus. If you are extremely qualified for a government position they will sometimes hire you and then have you take French classes, so the government is also looking at qualifications beyond language.

Otherwise, I know companies receive tax benefits for having a certain percentage of disabled workers, or female workers, or whatever. I have never encountered a company that overlooked qualification for those benefits. As a disabled female who speaks various languages, I have a distinct advantage but most of that honestly has to do with the language aspect. Companies can ask if you have a disability but you are under zero obligation to admit to it since it can be a detriment to have it known. They don't interview me and ask if I have a disability so they'll hire me - that's against the law. Just like asking if I were pregnant would be, or if I'm married.
A requirement to speak a second language is not based on race or sex, so it's not what I'm talking about. That's a legitimate skill requirement to get a job.

When I applied for law school, one school, UC Davis had a 40% set-aside for minorities. I got the rejection letter from them so fast it made my head spin. All they had to look at was I was a white male and out the rejection letter went.

When I interviewed for the big law firms during second year of law school, the only students who got law clerking positions were women and minorities.

That was when I realized I would be locked out of the big law firm scene, and I would have to make it on my own, or at a small law firm that doesn't have quotas.

Peter1469
01-29-2015, 09:39 PM
I was pissed to find out that the maximum scholarship for a white male to Tulane Law School was $5000 per year. That was not a lot considering the tuition. :sad:

Alyosha
01-29-2015, 09:41 PM
I have a white male problem. This is not in my bed right now.

http://picload.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/fur-to-ashes-kit-harington-jon-snow2.jpg?w=661&h=946

Safety
01-29-2015, 09:43 PM
Having been denied entry into every University of California law school because of affirmative action, yes, I have a chip on my shoulder.

Unless you're Asian, I would say you are really just using that as a cop out. Here is an example of what post graduate schools in California established. After Bakke sued, they stopped using quotas for entry, but evidently they could still "reserve" slots for disadvantaged applicants.

16 of the 100 places in each entering class were reserved for "disadvantaged" applicants, which the school defined as blacks, Latinos, American Indians and Asian-Americans. Bakke sued, and the California Supreme Court sided with him.

Peter1469
01-29-2015, 09:47 PM
That wasn't a problem not so long ago.....

http://picload.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/fur-to-ashes-kit-harington-jon-snow2.jpg?w=661&h=946

Alyosha
01-29-2015, 09:48 PM
He could have always blown someone for money. Lots of rich sugar daddies in LA and Orange county.

Mister D
01-29-2015, 09:48 PM

I see HR take the terminations of employees belonging to a protected class much more seriously if the termination was not the result of mutual understanding. The potential for legal trouble is much higher.

Alyosha
01-29-2015, 09:49 PM
That wasn't a problem not so long ago.....

And it won't be very shortly I'm about to get out my needle, wax, and make a magic circle...

Peter1469
01-29-2015, 09:49 PM
Very true. Greater judicial scrutiny.
I see HR take the terminations of employees belonging to a protected class much more seriously if the termination was not the result of mutual understanding. The potential for legal trouble is much higher.

Alyosha
01-29-2015, 09:53 PM

My ex boss could always talk someone into suing their employer if they were a minority. He could really whip them up into a frenzy. Course he was the type of asshole who wouldn't work contingency.

Thing is that minorities do have a leg up in the firing thing but when it comes to police white win. I had a client for a minute who had a Bentley, owned 3 restaurants and got pulled by the police just for driving a Bentley while black.

So it goes bothways and personally I'd rather not have the cops up my ass.

Captain Obvious
01-29-2015, 09:54 PM

Fortunately I suffer from the same ailment.

Alyosha
01-29-2015, 09:57 PM
Green Arrow

back when he actually bothered to have long hair...doesn't this look like him?

http://kit-harington.org/news/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/011.jpg

Alyosha
01-29-2015, 09:58 PM
Sorry white male problems, yes, terrible. I'm sure Blackrook would give up his skin color to have the black man's privileges.

Peter1469
01-29-2015, 09:59 PM
No.
@Green Arrow (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=868)

Mister D
01-29-2015, 10:02 PM
Sorry white male problems, yes, terrible. I'm sure Blackrook would give up his skin color to have the black man's privileges.

Virtually no one would give up their identity but the privileges of a pro ballplayer, for example, would be quite nice to have. :afro:

Alyosha
01-29-2015, 10:04 PM
No.

No, dude. He used to have beautiful long hair and then he became a dick and cut it.

Safety
01-29-2015, 10:05 PM
Virtually no one would give up their identity but the privileges of a pro ballplayer, for example, would be quite nice to have. :afro:

Right up there with the privileges of being a trust fund baby, or to be able to use the "affluenza" defense. :biglaugh:

Green Arrow
01-29-2015, 10:06 PM
@Green Arrow (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=868)

Kit's prettier :tongue:

Alyosha
01-29-2015, 10:08 PM
Kit's prettier :tongue:

I won't comment.

Blackrook
01-29-2015, 10:13 PM
Alyosha, stop hijacking my thread. You are acting like a schoolyard bully.

Captain Obvious
01-29-2015, 10:13 PM
@Alyosha (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=863), stop hijacking my thread. You are acting like a schoolyard bully.

Don't be the paste eater.

Works both ways.

Alyosha
01-29-2015, 10:17 PM
@Alyosha (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=863), stop hijacking my thread. You are acting like a schoolyard bully.
Blackrook

I'm sorry. You have it bad and blacks have it good. You could always pretend to be gay or blind, though.

Blackrook
01-29-2015, 10:22 PM
@Blackrook (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=899)

I'm sorry. You have it bad and blacks have it good. You could always pretend to be gay or blind, though.
I'm not talking about that. That is a legitimate response to the topic.

I'm talking about hijacking the thread with pictures of male models and stupid off-topic comments and off-color jokes.

Go post something in the Pub if you want to screw around.

Blackrook
01-29-2015, 10:24 PM
I've noticed that all the members of groups who benefit from affirmative action think it's perfectly acceptable to throw scorn and ridicule at white males who complain that they are the victim of legal, government-imposed racial discrimination.

It's like MLK's dream was abandoned.

You have learned nothing.

del
01-29-2015, 10:27 PM

stop being a whiny bitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbZEkFLXh9Y

jesus, you're an embarrassment to anyone with a set of balls

Green Arrow
01-29-2015, 10:28 PM
I'm not talking about that. That is a legitimate response to the topic.

I'm talking about hijacking the thread with pictures of male models and stupid off-topic comments and off-color jokes.

Go post something in the Pub if you want to screw around.

https://collegecandy.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/tumblr_n3v7rxzdi11tsvbbno2_500.gif?w=500&h=200

Safety
01-29-2015, 10:39 PM
I've noticed that all the members of groups who benefit from affirmative action think it's perfectly acceptable to throw scorn and ridicule at white males who complain that they are the victim of legal, government-imposed racial discrimination.

It's like MLK's dream was abandoned.

You have learned nothing.

Maybe because the "members" from said group that benefits from AA, understand that regardless if the AA had nothing to do with someone not getting accepted into the schools, they will still be blamed nonetheless.

Common
01-29-2015, 10:44 PM
There was a time in the 60s and early 70s that the old quota system really screwed people big time.
Thats why it was tossed and affirmative action replaced it.

I got caught up in the quota system and I quit a job because of it but it turned out better for me in the end.

Alyosha
01-29-2015, 10:52 PM
https://collegecandy.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/tumblr_n3v7rxzdi11tsvbbno2_500.gif?w=500&h=200

Can that white male discriminate against me forcefully?

Green Arrow
01-29-2015, 11:01 PM
Can that white male discriminate against me forcefully?

Only if he discriminates against me first :tongue:

Blackrook
01-29-2015, 11:25 PM
AA is a serious topic for me. My grades in school were mediocre, but I aced the LSAT. I ended up at Loyola Law School, which was in the second rank of law school, but it turns out with the recession that it wasn't a good enough school to impress employers. Had I gone to one of the UC's, my job prospects would have been much better. But I was denied entrance. I never got over the feeling that AA was the reason.

Alyosha
01-29-2015, 11:27 PM
AA is a serious topic for me. My grades in school were mediocre, but I aced the LSAT. I ended up at Loyola Law School, which was in the second rank of law school, but it turns out with the recession that it wasn't a good enough school to impress employers. Had I gone to one of the UC's, my job prospects would have been much better. But I was denied entrance. I never got over the feeling that AA was the reason.

There are a lot of lawyers out of work, though because of how many law schools produce. Lawyers just out of school have to have connections, be beautiful or come out of an Ivy League school to have steady work.

You could have gone into legal aide of some kind. I don't think it's all that you're a white male.

Blackrook
01-29-2015, 11:31 PM
Looking back on it, my decision to attend law school was the biggest mistake in my life. But I had no one to tell me the economic realities of the legal profession. I read some books, but they were all written by cheerleaders who had a vested interest in getting people to attend law school.

Alyosha
01-29-2015, 11:41 PM
Looking back on it, my decision to attend law school was the biggest mistake in my life. But I had no one to tell me the economic realities of the legal profession. I read some books, but they were all written by cheerleaders who had a vested interest in getting people to attend law school.

I know you don't want to hear it from me but immigration law is a field that will only make you money in certain areas. Also you have to starve coming out of law school and be hungry to get the cases behind you to get clients. The only way to get that experience if you don't know someone is by going legal aide.

I've already told you that I would help you as I could. I'm just rethinking the whole thing lately myself.

Blackrook
01-29-2015, 11:47 PM
When I was in immigration, I was helping people. I was helping poor people who had nowhere to turn. I felt like I was a good guy in field where so many bad guys rip immigrants off.

Alyosha
01-29-2015, 11:51 PM
When I was in immigration, I was helping people. I was helping poor people who had nowhere to turn. I felt like I was a good guy in field where so many bad guys rip immigrants off.

And I had to sit there and say bullshit to judges like my clients who smoked pot had a disease when I really wanted to say that the government has no business prying into what grown adults do in their own homes.

At a certain point I realized what a fake I am because I just know how to get people out of trouble, I don't practice law. A real lawyer would argue the Constitution.

Blackrook
01-30-2015, 12:11 AM
I never lied in court or to my clients, which is probably why I never made a lot of money as a lawyer.

Alyosha
01-30-2015, 12:13 AM
I never lied in court or to my clients, which is probably why I never made a lot of money as a lawyer.

You're not lying. Drug addiction is now listed by the AMA as a chronic disease. I just think its a cheap way to get people out of trouble. I'd rather go the constitutional route. My clients just want the quickest.

Blackrook
01-30-2015, 12:28 AM
There is no constitutional route. No judge would ever let your client off on a drug crime if you argued that it was unconstitutional to outlaw drugs. He'd be laughed off the bench if he did.

Cigar
01-30-2015, 08:44 AM
What are white male problems? FEAR, they are always Afraid of something that "might" happen.

Common
01-30-2015, 08:54 AM
What are white male problems? FEAR, they are always Afraid of something that "might" happen.

Black guys dont fear right cigar, your nonesense gets old, like this nonesense that doesnt have a thing to do with the thread

Common
01-30-2015, 08:58 AM
My brother in law who all things considered is in the top tier as in successful as an Attorney. Hes been an attorney many years and now has firms in NJ and Florida. He has switched career fields a few times as he tells me. He starved as a young attorney and it took him 15 yrs to start making money.
His two firms are now corporate legal firms for corporations he of course being a senior partner.
He hated being a CDL he said theres no alternative but to manipulate the truth. Being successful is paramount..

Just for info there are over 90,000 + attorneys in fla and many are starving. Tv ads for attorneys is insidious here and ridiculous. One is more silly than the next to get your attention. They advertise mostly for accident attorneys and disability advocacy. We will get you disability if you were DENIED

PolWatch
01-30-2015, 09:06 AM
I remember the good old days when anyone who didn't fit into the white, Protestant, male category was openly discriminated against. Times have changed. I find it very difficult to feel much sympathy for those want to whine about the changes. Have some cheese...

Captain Obvious
01-30-2015, 09:08 AM

Yes dear, whatever soothes your angst.

Green Arrow
01-30-2015, 01:16 PM

I'm only afraid of spiders, but good try.

Animal Mother
01-30-2015, 01:24 PM
I'm afraid of women. I just realized this. They always want you to be someone you're not and then if you try they stop liking you.

Down with women.

PolWatch
01-30-2015, 01:47 PM
I'm afraid of women. I just realized this. They always want you to be someone you're not and then if you try they stop liking you.

Down with women.

Freudian slips are so much fun....

Polecat
01-30-2015, 02:34 PM

I thought it was a short wiener.