PDA

View Full Version : Obama’s policy strategy: Ignore laws

Trinnity
06-17-2012, 06:20 AM
Obama’s policy strategy: Ignore laws
(http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0612/77486.html)
President Barack Obama returned Friday to a trusted tactic — satisfying his political allies by not doing something.

Conservatives were angry when Janet Napolitano announced the administration would stop deporting certain undocumented immigrants, but they should have seen it coming. On issue after issue — gay rights, drug enforcement, Internet gambling, school achievement standards — the administration has chosen to achieve its goals by a method best described as passive-aggressive.

Rather than pushing new laws through a divided Congress to enact his agenda, Obama is relying on federal agencies to ignore, or at least not defend, laws that some of his important supporters — like Hispanic voters and the gay community — don’t like.
“If the president says we’re not going to enforce the law, there’s really nothing anyone can do about it,” University of Pennsylvania constitutional law professor Kermit Roosevelt said. “It’s clearly a political calculation.”

I call it sneaky. This is what he's been doing all along. After he's gone, we'll be seeing his legacy for decades if not centuries.

Mainecoons
06-17-2012, 06:57 AM
However, if you read this entire piece, you understand that this is a common and growing problem regardless of who is sitting in the White House. It really started in earnest with FDR and to varying degrees has grown over the years. Obama is just the latest and worst manifestation of the problem of ignoring the Constitution.

Trinnity
06-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Oh, I think his personal ethic holds almost no limits.

MMC
06-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Which is why I said his words to the Media was he wants things fair and for people to play by the rules. Romney should be looping that over and over again. Then at the end drop that bomb on Obama showing him Going around Congress once again.