PDA

View Full Version : SCOTUS decides vaccine debate . . . in 1905

Cigar
02-05-2015, 09:20 AM
Did you know the vaccine debate we are now in the middle of was an issue decided by the Supreme Court? In 1905! From the first Justice Harlan's opinion for the Court in Jacobson v. Massachusetts:

The authority of the state to enact this statute is to be referred to what is commonly called the police power,-a power which the state did not surrender when becoming a member of the Union under the Constitution. According to settled principles, the police power of a state must be held to embrace, at least, such reasonable regulations established directly by legislative enactment as will protect the public health and the public safety. Gibbons v. Ogden, 9 Wheat. 1, 203, 6 L. ed. 23, 71 We come, then, to inquire whether any right given or secured by the Constitution is invaded by the statute as interpreted by the state court. The defendant insists that his liberty is invaded when the state subjects him to fine or imprisonment for neglecting or refusing to submit to vaccination; that a compulsory vaccination law is unreasonable, arbitrary, and oppressive, and, therefore, hostile to the inherent right of every freeman to care for his own body and health in such way as to him seems best; and that the execution of such a law against one who objects to vaccination, no matter for what reason, is nothing short of an assault upon his person. But the liberty secured by the Constitution of the United States to every person within its jurisdiction does not import an absolute right in each person to be, at all times and in all circumstances, wholly freed from restraint. There are manifold restraints to which every person is necessarily subject for the common good. On any other basis organized society could not exist with safety to its members. Society based on the rule that each one is a law unto himself would soon be confronted with disorder and anarchy. Real liberty for all could not exist under the operation of a principle which recognizes the right of each individual person to use his own, whether in respect of his person or his property, regardless of the injury that may be done to others. This court has more than once recognized it as a fundamental principle that 'persons and property are subjected to all kinds of restraints and burdens in order to secure the general comfort, health, and prosperity of the state; of the perfect right of the legislature to do which no question ever was, or upon acknowledged general principles ever can be, made, so far as natural persons are concerned.' Hannibal & St. J. R. Co. v. Husen, 95 U.S. 465, 471 , 24 S. L. ed. 527, 530

The answer is that it was the duty of the constituted authorities primarily to keep in view the welfare and safety of the many, and not permit the interests of the many to be subordinated to the wishes or convenience of the few.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/02/03/1362054/-SCOTUS-decides-vaccine-debate-in-1905

hanger4
02-05-2015, 09:27 AM
There is no "vaccine debate" other than the lefts attempt to

paint the right as anti-science.

Cigar
02-05-2015, 09:28 AM
There is no "vaccine debate" other than the lefts attempt to

paint the right as anti-science.

No ... really ... the Right are not Science Denyers?

No way ... :laugh: no evidance of that.

hanger4
02-05-2015, 09:32 AM
No ... really ... the Right are not Science Denyers?

No way ... :laugh: no evidance of that.

Quite true, glad to see you've opened your eyes a bit.

Cigar
02-05-2015, 10:30 AM
http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoons/EaganT/2015/EaganT20150205_low.jpg

Alyosha
02-05-2015, 10:34 AM
Cigar is a spelling denier. That's right up there with science denying only more annoying. :laugh:

Matty
02-05-2015, 10:36 AM
:)

Cigar
02-05-2015, 10:37 AM
My Goal this year is to be a beter Spelar on Internet Firm s... howz I'm doing :grin:

Mister D
02-05-2015, 10:42 AM
Why did I log in?

Alyosha
02-05-2015, 10:43 AM
My Goal this year is to be a beter Spelar on Internet Firm s... howz I'm doing :grin:

I don't think anyone would care about your spelling if you weren't so ironic about your condescension of other people's intellect. You're the overweight person eating chips and drinking diet Coke while telling everyone about your shitty metabolism.

Cigar
02-05-2015, 10:45 AM
Why did I log in?

Because you need friends :laugh:

Mac-7

With that skill level in English and black skin color you could get a job at Georgia Pacific.

Mister D
WTF is science denial. What does it mean to be "anti-science"? These terms don't mean anything.

Cigar
02-05-2015, 10:51 AM
I don't think anyone would care about your spelling if you weren't so ironic about your condescension of other people's intellect. You're the overweight person eating chips and drinking diet Coke while telling everyone about your $#@!ty metabolism.

I'm down 9 lbs and 1.5 inces off the gut since Christmas at a crisp and cut 198

I'm 6'1" I'll be ready for that Tight Speed-O come April :laugh:

Cigar
02-05-2015, 10:52 AM
WTF is science denial. What does it mean to be "anti-science"? These terms don't mean anything.

Example: Denial :laugh:

Cigar
02-05-2015, 10:52 AM
With that skill level in English and black skin color you could get a job at Georgia Pacific.

Can you put in a good word for me ... :laugh:

Alyosha
02-05-2015, 10:53 AM

I took you off ignore, not sure why. This "black" business is just exceedingly tiresome. If your goal is to make other conservatives look like racist imbeciles then you've succeeded.

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 10:57 AM
Why did I log in?

Satan compels you.

Matty
02-05-2015, 10:57 AM
I took you off ignore, not sure why. This "black" business is just exceedingly tiresome. If your goal is to make other conservatives look like racist imbeciles then you've succeeded.

I am not quite sure why what Mac says should reflect on other conservatives!!

Cigar
02-05-2015, 11:00 AM

I am not quite sure why what Cigar says should reflect on other Liberals or Blacks, or vice versa

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 11:00 AM

Because we all get lumped together, just like you lump anything that deviates from your institutionalization as being "liberal".

Alyosha
02-05-2015, 11:01 AM

For the same reason Cigar reflects on blacks, I reflect on libertarians, and silver reflects on liberals--that's how people profile.

Cigar
02-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Because we all get lumped together, just like you lump anything that deviates from your institutionalization as being "liberal".

Ok Lumpy :laugh:

Cigar
02-05-2015, 11:04 AM
For the same reason Cigar reflects on blacks, I reflect on libertarians, and silver reflects on liberals--that's how people profile.

The political party I vote for, one day, every 2 or 4 years doesn't reflect me.

What I do everyday during my everyday life reflects me.

Matty
02-05-2015, 11:05 AM

Pity then, for the black people!

Cigar
02-05-2015, 11:05 AM

http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoons/RogerR/2015/RogerR20150205_low.jpg

Cigar
02-05-2015, 11:08 AM
Pity then, for the black people!

If you're going to hand out pity, do so off of the safety and security of the internet.

It works better that way.

May I suggest one mile north of Obama's house in Chicago.

Please let us know how your expertise on Black People pans out for you.

del
02-05-2015, 11:11 AM
The political party I vote for, one day, every 2 or 4 years doesn't reflect me.

What I do everyday during my everyday life reflects me.

it certainly does

:rofl:

Matty
02-05-2015, 11:12 AM
If you're going to hand out pity, do so off of the safety and security of the internet.

It works better that way.

May I suggest one mile north of Obama's house in Chicago.

Please let us know how your expertise on Black People pans out for you.

No one gives a pity fuck about your lame assed threats!

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 11:14 AM
it certainly does

I bet he's wondering what the sudden wooshing noise was.

Cigar
02-05-2015, 11:14 AM
No one gives a pity $#@! about your lame assed threats!

You're the one handing out the pity, I'm just helping you on where to place it sport. :laugh:

Cigar
02-05-2015, 11:15 AM
it certainly does

I'm happy with my everyday life ... how about you? :wink:

del
02-05-2015, 11:17 AM
I'm happy with my everyday life ... how about you? :wink:

i never think about your everyday life

based on your posts, you're jafa