PDA

View Full Version : Statist warm fuzzy...

Cthulhu
02-05-2015, 06:19 PM
From the Wall Street Journal-

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/05/770b88b5b1db6dc5fda068a8cbf8ae30.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/05/91e59e3c6d1ceadcc49a349ea1e1cc42.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/05/76005c6c163426bb990a72c18648d20f.jpg

Hail Satan.

Sent from my evil cell phone.

Howey
02-05-2015, 06:27 PM
Hail Bush.

(I'm not much for conspiracies and this doesn't worry me. Although the red light camera ticket I got last year pissed me off)

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Nothing to see here, just some silly conspiracy.

...btw, you have a little ketchup on your chin Cthulhu

Polecat
02-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Our email, texts and phone conversations are government property already. In the interest of national security we have become a police state. The real head cracking has yet to begin.

Private Pickle
02-05-2015, 07:14 PM
Our email, texts and phone conversations are government property already. In the interest of national security we have become a police state. The real head cracking has yet to begin.

The ability to track and store all of the data, especially "big data" like social media, txts, phone conversations, etc created in just one day is impossible.

While they look at it for red flags and save emails depending on desired retention periods the "government" does not have a secret place where everything is stored.

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 07:24 PM
The ability to track and store all of the data, especially "big data" like social media, txts, phone conversations, etc created in just one day is impossible.

While they look at it for red flags and save emails depending on desired retention periods the "government" does not have a secret place where everything is stored.

Correct.

Data "trolling" or whatever it's called employs apps or similar to spot irregularities or pre-determined flags, trends, etc. to warrant further investigation.

Private Pickle
02-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Correct.

Data "trolling" or whatever it's called employs apps or similar to spot irregularities or pre-determined flags, trends, etc. to warrant further investigation.

Yup. Now most governmental agencies...say like the IRS MUST keep all of their data for 7 years. That includes all of the emails that take place within said agency. Those emails are typically spun off to a Disaster Recovery site where they sit for anywhere between 3 months to a year or so. That data gets written off to tape and stored in a secure facility for the remaining time of retention.

Louis Lerner is full of SHIT!

The Xl
02-05-2015, 07:28 PM
The state is God and is looking out for our best interests.

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 07:30 PM
you can't possibly think that anyone would ever use our private information without our consent????

Polecat
02-05-2015, 07:40 PM

The government does not need to store it. They have unbridled access to commercial storage that is employed by the various companies that provide communications.

Polecat
02-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Yup. Now most governmental agencies...say like the IRS MUST keep all of their data for 7 years. That includes all of the emails that take place within said agency. Those emails are typically spun off to a Disaster Recovery site where they sit for anywhere between 3 months to a year or so. That data gets written off to tape and stored in a secure facility for the remaining time of retention.

Louis Lerner is full of SHIT!

Tape !?! How old are you?

Dr. Who
02-05-2015, 07:52 PM
Government is the last to upgrade technology. They probably are still using tape in some areas.

Chris
02-05-2015, 08:09 PM
The state is God and is looking out for our best interests.

You misspelled its.

Just recently drove up to Round Rock and back, TX 130, a toll road, where every 10 miles or so a bank of overhead cameras takes your picture to read license plate, and I was thinking the same thing as the OP. It wasn't that long ago I got a ticket in the mail for not coming to a complete stop but rolling through a right turn on red light, they had me dead to rights with photos, and this was a small town. I was involved in the early stages of TXDOT's adding cameras to cover the main routes, 410, 35, 10, 1604, around San Antonio with cameras. I don't think this is paranoia.

(First time on TX 130, doing 90 mph with a state trooper passing me doing 95. Speed limit's 80 but no one does that. You can really cover a lot of distance in a short time.)

Polecat
02-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Government is the last to upgrade technology. They probably are still using tape in some areas.

Only as archives from 50~60 years ago. Besides being slow and sequential you can put a 1000 of those big reels on a single hard drive.

Dr. Who
02-05-2015, 08:17 PM
Only as archives from 50~60 years ago. Besides being slow and sequential you can put a 1000 of those big reels on a single hard drive.
I'm not talking about big reels, there are tape drives that come from the 90's or so. More like cassettes.

Polecat
02-05-2015, 08:28 PM
I'm not talking about big reels, there are tape drives that come from the 90's or so. More like cassettes.

Those were a flash in the pan. They never made it into widespread use. The hardware is extinct too. I have a 32G microSD in my phone that is barely the size of a nose goblin. I think big bro has better options than I do. Just saying. I toured the phone exchange here in town back in the early 80s and it was 8 floors of a large building crammed full of equipment. Last I heard the building is empty save for a corner on the first floor.

Dr. Who
02-05-2015, 08:36 PM
Those were a flash in the pan. They never made it into widespread use. The hardware is extinct too. I have a 32G microSD in my phone that is barely the size of a nose goblin. I think big bro has better options than I do. Just saying. I toured the phone exchange here in town back in the early 80s and it was 8 floors of a large building crammed full of equipment. Last I heard the building is empty save for a corner on the first floor.
It's been my experience with government that while say DoD might have the latest and greatest, lower profile departments keep equipment to the point that it becomes a historical relic and they absolutely have to get rid of it. Not saying that any still have tape backup, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Also government often buys into tech that has no widespread use among the general public, but was available at the right time when they suddenly figured out that they had to impose disaster recovery protocols. I've worked in the financial sector for years, and tape backup was very popular there.

Polecat
02-05-2015, 08:52 PM
It's been my experience with government that while say DoD might have the latest and greatest, lower profile departments keep equipment to the point that it becomes a historical relic and they absolutely have to get rid of it. Not saying that any still have tape backup, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Also government often buys into tech that has no widespread use among the general public, but was available at the right time when they suddenly figured out that they had to impose disaster recovery protocols. I've worked in the financial sector for years, and tape backup was very popular there.

Well you know, now that you mention it...Our ATC hardware is older than I am. The FAA lobbied for and got a structured fee set up for all commercial traffic to pay into a fund that was supposed to be for the upkeep and improvement of our commercial airline facilities. This was intended as runways, navaids, flight safety equipment, etc.etc. But the dippy shit politicians have commandeered it to build monuments to themselves with lavish architecture littered with overpriced "art" while the electronics got shoved on the back burner.

Dr. Who
02-05-2015, 08:57 PM
Well you know, now that you mention it...Our ATC hardware is older than I am. The FAA lobbied for and got a structured fee set up for all commercial traffic to pay into a fund that was supposed to be for the upkeep and improvement of our commercial airline facilities. This was intended as runways, navaids, flight safety equipment, etc.etc. But the dippy shit politicians have commandeered it to build monuments to themselves with lavish architecture littered with overpriced "art" while the electronics got shoved on the back burner.
Exactly. IT is not often seen as much more than a janitorial service, unless it's not working!

Animal Mother
02-05-2015, 09:01 PM
The government does not need to store it. They have unbridled access to commercial storage that is employed by the various companies that provide communications.

Both Howey and Private Pickle claim to work for some of the agencies I worked with so how they can say that the government doesn't spy without warrant or access Gmail, facebook, and your phone records at whim is pretty laughable.

They make a phone call to someone they know and it happens.

You guys know it, I know it. Let's be men and not lie about it.

Private Pickle
02-05-2015, 09:08 PM
Both @Howey (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=387) and @Private Pickle (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=615) claim to work for some of the agencies I worked with so how they can say that the government doesn't spy without warrant or access Gmail, facebook, and your phone records at whim is pretty laughable.

I was never personally part of some grand plot to spy on Americans so I can't say for sure...

Private Pickle
02-05-2015, 09:10 PM

So do the North Koreans...Chinese and just about everyone else with a computer...

Private Pickle
02-05-2015, 09:10 PM

You don't think tape is still big business?

Animal Mother
02-05-2015, 09:14 PM
I was never personally part of some grand plot to spy on Americans so I can't say for sure...

Doesn't take a grand plot. Don't you work at the agency where the dude was busted for spying on his girlfriend using the tools of his job? He's an anomaly now, I guess.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/09/27/loveint_how_nsa_spies_snooped_on_girlfriends_lover s_and_first_dates.html

Polecat
02-05-2015, 09:22 PM
You don't think tape is still big business?

No. I figured cheaper and smaller solutions were being used by now. Tape is a cost anchor when you look at the medium and the hardware required. Not to mention the manufacturers have moved on too.

Howey
02-05-2015, 11:18 PM

/\/\/\/\
This

Howey
02-05-2015, 11:25 PM

Me neither. I've already said that although I worked at a certain agency, my duties were clerical.

I will say, however, that there are technologies in use that would amaze the common man. And there are some that are laughably extinct but still in use. Let's say the level of technology flows downhill. When the DoD installs new equipment the say, Dept of Interior gets the old stuff in their next upgrade. But remember, my knowledge is ancient too.

Dr. Who
02-05-2015, 11:38 PM
Me neither. I've already said that although I worked at a certain agency, my duties were clerical.

I will say, however, that there are technologies in use that would amaze the common man. And there are some that are laughably extinct but still in use. Let's say the level of technology flows downhill. When the DoD installs new equipment the say, Dept of Interior gets the old stuff in their next upgrade. But remember, my knowledge is ancient too.
Some things never change.

Private Pickle
02-05-2015, 11:59 PM
Doesn't take a grand plot. Don't you work at the agency where the dude was busted for spying on his girlfriend using the tools of his job? He's an anomaly now, I guess.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/09/27/loveint_how_nsa_spies_snooped_on_girlfriends_lover s_and_first_dates.html

Nah man...that was a long time ago. I just suckle off the corporate teet now.

But I did listen to a couple of high ranking, foreign officials talking to their girlfriends.

Private Pickle
02-06-2015, 12:02 AM

There isn't enough cross-departmental cooperation in the government for that not to mention the cost of maintenance over time skyrockets. When a data center is replaced the old hardware (drives) are destroyed. The vendor takes back the iron usually for a small discount against the buyers new gear.

Private Pickle
02-06-2015, 12:04 AM
No. I figured cheaper and smaller solutions were being used by now. Tape is a cost anchor when you look at the medium and the hardware required. Not to mention the manufacturers have moved on too.

Tape is cheaper than spinning disk. When you have retention requirements like the government or healthcare tape is the only economical option...still to this day... Oracle, HP, Dell, and many others have tape solutions.

Hal Jordan
02-06-2015, 12:38 AM
Both @Howey (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=387) and @Private Pickle (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=615) claim to work for some of the agencies I worked with so how they can say that the government doesn't spy without warrant or access Gmail, facebook, and your phone records at whim is pretty laughable.

Indeed... I wouldn't be surprised if they know everything y'all have posted on here...

TrixWitch
02-06-2015, 12:39 AM

I would argue it's the people's own fault for only caring on the Internet. Everyone knows it goes on. No one cares all that much.

It's like squatting. If a homeowner doesn't come back for years to check on his house, he deserves to find the bums occupying it.

TrixWitch
02-06-2015, 12:42 AM
Indeed... I wouldn't be surprised if they know everything y'all have posted on here...

I would not be surprised, either. :)