PDA

View Full Version : Catholic Priest asks members why young people don't come to church...the results are

Cigar
02-06-2015, 02:04 PM
National Catholic Reporter (http://ncronline.org/blogs/parish-diary/attempt-answer-question-where-are-young-adults):

The No. 1 issue by far, which came up over and over again, was the Catholic church's treatment of lesbians and gays. Everyone, conservative or liberal, disagreed with the church on that.

One young man, a lawyer, said the Catholic church is the "most sexist and homophobic institution of significance in our culture." He noted that there is no discussion of issues like women's ordination in the church. It is just not to be discussed. He felt the church just dismissed women's opinions.

He also said there is a complete lack of accountability for what is said from the pulpit. He cited in detail statements made by a priest at another parish regarding Obamacare and birth control. He said the statements were simply factually false, and no one held the priest accountable. He wrote to the archdiocese and not receive a reply.

One woman, a Ph.D. candidate in the natural sciences, said she felt that her questions and doubts about the Bible, especially about science, were not answered. She said no one has really dealt with the "inaccuracies" in the Bible. She said there are many contractions in the Scriptures. "Moses was a murderer," she said. All the war and killing in the Scriptures in the name of God bothered her. It was like terrorism today. She did not see how we could leave out the unpleasant parts and only read the nice things in church. It seemed dishonest to her.

Blackrook
02-06-2015, 02:13 PM
National Catholic Reporter is a left wing rag.

Cigar
02-06-2015, 02:19 PM
National Catholic Reporter is a left wing rag.

So on your Planet, Liberals arn't Catholic? :huh:

donttread
02-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Empowered women would push birth control and accepting homosexuality would mean there will be less Catholics, less money, less bling in the Vatican and fewer altar boys to recruit priest

Alyosha
02-06-2015, 02:40 PM
Are lawyers ever young?

Blackrook
02-06-2015, 02:57 PM
Anyone who doesn't like the ways of the Catholic Church is free to leave and find a church more to his/her liking, or start his/her own church.

The troublemakers at National Catholic Reporter refuse to do that, but instead tear at the Catholic Church, insisting that it change to conform to our modern, secular world.

Blackrook
02-06-2015, 02:59 PM
Anyway, the article is dead wrong. Parishes that are more traditional have very large attendance, and generate many more vocations than parishes that are more liberal. We have a parish like that in Las Vegas, called Holy Family. They generate more vocations than all the other parishes combined.

Cigar
02-06-2015, 03:00 PM
Adults usually know how to take Constructive Critisizim from their Own Clurgy :rollseyes:

Redrose
02-06-2015, 03:01 PM
There are a lot of wrong doings in other religions too, probably not as well advertised as in the Catholic Church. I personally do not know any priests who have been accused of impropriaties with kids, but I do know three Christian men, a pastor and a deacon and a youth pastor, all Baptist who were arrested for such activity. All in the same community. The Churches tried to cover it up too.

It's wrong for all of them no question about that and it should be identified and stopped and punished.

I go to church to pray and celebrate the Mass, and receive Communion. I don't go to church to give the impression I support the errors the Church has made. Why would I or anyone abandon their faith because of the actions of a few. That is a poor excuse to be a lazy Christian and not make the effort to attend church. Stats have shown the percentage of priests involved is less than 3%. Stats have shown 4% of teachers are involved in the same shameful behavior.

If you don't attend church anymore because your faith has diminished or it's not a priorirty in your life, that's your business, but to say it's because of the scandals is nothing more than an excuse.

PolWatch
02-06-2015, 03:06 PM
If you don't like hamburgers, don't go to McDonalds. If you don't like X rated movies, don't go to adult movie theaters. If you don't like the rules of the Catholic Church, don't go. See? simple solution to all that ails ya.

Peter1469
02-06-2015, 03:39 PM
If you like real hamburgers don't go to McDonald's.

Alyosha
02-06-2015, 03:48 PM
I'll be honest. I don't go to church because I'm lazy. I can pretend its for other reasons but I'd rather not get dressed up and drive somewhere.

Private Pickle
02-06-2015, 03:49 PM
Football

Redrose
02-06-2015, 03:52 PM
I'll be honest. I don't go to church because I'm lazy. I can pretend its for other reasons but I'd rather not get dressed up and drive somewhere.

Well, you're honest.

Alyosha
02-06-2015, 03:52 PM
The whole point of church is to tell you to stop doing things you want to do and go do things you don't feel like doing. No one wants to hear that anymore.

People want to do what they want without gainsay and then let the government take over the charity business.

Cigar
02-06-2015, 03:54 PM

2 ... 3 times Tops ... unless there's Wedding

Redrose
02-06-2015, 03:59 PM
Anyone who doesn't like the ways of the Catholic Church is free to leave and find a church more to his/her liking, or start his/her own church.

The troublemakers at National Catholic Reporter refuse to do that, but instead tear at the Catholic Church, insisting that it change to conform to our modern, secular world.

That's what Martin Luther and King Henry the VIII did. They sliced and diced the Catholic religion to suit their own particlar needs.

There is a "Cowboy" church locally. They meet in a rodeo building on Sunday and sing western songs.

No mention of the Lord, but they consider themselves a Christian church. Who knows, but I get very annoyed when they criticize other Churches like Methodist and Baptist and Catholic as cults.

Captain Obvious
02-06-2015, 04:14 PM
If you don't like hamburgers, don't go to McDonalds. If you don't like X rated movies, don't go to adult movie theaters. If you don't like the rules of the Catholic Church, don't go. See? simple solution to all that ails ya.

People are too childish for that kind of logic.

Redrose
02-06-2015, 04:23 PM
The whole point of church is to tell you to stop doing things you want to do and go do things you don't feel like doing. No one wants to hear that anymore.

People want to do what they want without gainsay and then let the government take over the charity business.

That may be true, but I get much more out of it than a lecture or preaching. I consider myself very lucky to have been born into the Catholic religion. The Mass is a beautiful ritual. Reenacting the Last Supper with the Body and Blood of Jesus, the words, the emotional high, help to remind me of the sacrifice that was made for all of us. Jesus has been good to me, and a couple of hours a week is not too much to give in return. IMO

Cthulhu
02-06-2015, 04:53 PM
Well at least you're honest about it.

Sent from my evil cell phone.

GrassrootsConservative
02-06-2015, 04:55 PM
Haven't we seen what Catholic priests do to young people? That's like asking why fish don't like fishers or boats. If you exploit something don't be upset when they don't come back.

Alyosha
02-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Haven't we seen what Catholic priests do to young people? That's like asking why fish don't like fishers or boats. If you exploit something don't be upset when they don't come back.

They rape adults, too. Don't worry.